Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Paper book or ebook?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Paper book or ebook?
Paper book for me, nothing can beat that.
Ebook! It is far more practical and I can carry my library in my ereader.
I don't read.
View Results (89 votes)

Sam20
Lorien

Apr 18 2013, 11:50pm

Post #1 of 53 (1802 views)
Shortcut
Paper book or ebook? Can't Post

Hi,

It is a fact that ebook and increasingly popular with all the devices available such as Kindle, Cobo, tablets ect.

But paper books seems to held his ground pretty well as it is familliar to anyone.

What do you think about it? Are paper books and ebook meant to live together (as the DVD and Blu Ray for instance) or one must necesserely take over the other in the futur?

Enjoy.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 18 2013, 11:52pm

Post #2 of 53 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Could you add an option for liking both? [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I think they can coexist.

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Apr 18 2013, 11:53pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2013, 12:00am

Post #3 of 53 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Each According To Its Gifts [In reply to] Can't Post

Paper book all the time. It needs no power. Works best in bright sunlight, though candlelight is okay. I can buy it once and keep it for a lifetime or more. And the publisher can't reach through my mailbox and take away my purchase at their own discretion. Technology can be a wonderful thing, but it is too easily lost or taken away.

I would buy an eBook only if I need to do searches and the capability is available. Paper books suck at searches.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 19 2013, 12:05am

Post #4 of 53 (1120 views)
Shortcut
I'd vote for that. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 19 2013, 12:12am

Post #5 of 53 (1128 views)
Shortcut
An admin can edit the poll [In reply to] Can't Post

if Sam90 wants.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2013, 2:56am

Post #6 of 53 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Polls [In reply to] Can't Post

Some polls are intentionally not designed for shades of grey. They force a black and white choice to differentiate a clear preference. Mixed answers can defeat the purpose of a poll. But comments (such as mine, above) can serve to inform the poll taker on notable exceptions to include in their analysis. In the case of this poll, I really would be more interested in seeing the uncompromised preference.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Apr 19 2013, 3:01am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 19 2013, 3:00am

Post #7 of 53 (1109 views)
Shortcut
Right, but [In reply to] Can't Post

in sam's post he asked if they could coexist, so it seemed like the poll could reflect that question also.

Want I want to know is what will replace ebooks 100 years from now.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 19 2013, 3:05am

Post #8 of 53 (1097 views)
Shortcut
And another option for audiobooks? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a big fan of those.

Syzygy
The Shire

Apr 19 2013, 3:13am

Post #9 of 53 (1115 views)
Shortcut
Dead tree books all the way! [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I can read it when the power goes out, or in the middle of a forest with no cell towers, internet hotspots or electrical outlets nearby. Also I work in the printing industry, so I may be somewhat biased when it comes to printed media...

Not that I don't like reading ebooks when I'm already in front of the computer, but their limitations are not worth it in the long run. A paper book never needs its software updated or new hardware purchased to still be readable, and will last for centuries if properly cared for. I still have my mom's copies of LOTR and The Hobbit from the 70's, can anyone say they've still got usable electronic devices from that era?

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2013, 3:17am

Post #10 of 53 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Future [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Want I want to know is what will replace ebooks 100 years from now.

That's really not going to be answered by this poll in any form. Wink

One hundred years ago, we had books on paper, some audio recordings on metal or wax, and some motion pictures on film. Now we have books on paper, a lot of film, and a lot of text, audio, and video that have all converged to be stored on the same optical, magnetic or solid state medium. I suspect we'll still have analog medium like paper for books and all that will change is the alternative medium, such as quantum devices, that will complete the convergence onto a single standard medium. Unfortunately, like all technological storage, it will be fragile in the manufacture, the format, the encryption, and the endurance of the knowledge of how to use it. All data not on film or paper or visible to the naked eye will be lost within 500 years, and no one will remember anything of what transpired on the technological medium except rumors of what happened for the duration of those 500 years. But we'll still have books.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Apr 19 2013, 3:22am)

Syzygy
The Shire

Apr 19 2013, 3:35am

Post #11 of 53 (1109 views)
Shortcut
My sentiments exactly!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look at the archaeological evidence of civilizations come and gone and the only thing that remains are scraps of parchment & paper or what's inscribed in stone. Hundreds of years from now the only tangible evidence we'll have of our culture and civilization will be what's printed on paper or inscribed in metal or stone, not a bunch of pdf files and and other technology particular to our time and only accessible by the software and hardware available to us primitives in the 21st century.

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 19 2013, 6:57am

Post #12 of 53 (1097 views)
Shortcut
For sheer enjoyment, paper. If it's good enough for James T. Kirk... [In reply to] Can't Post

The book. He'd made a great to-do about having it made up in bound form, though it had cost him a bundle and sent the Troyian bookseller into a spasm over the inconvenience. "Surely the admiral has a speed-read degree!" the Troyian had clucked, fluttering his aquamarine fingers disconsolately over the order form for such an anachronism as a book with paper pages. "Why, a tome this size can be scanned in an evening with comm-enhance. We even carry a 'read while you sleep' version. Such a waste of valuable time - turning pages, reading words instead of scanning paragraphs..."
"One of the reasons God gave man eyes and fingers, Purdi," Jim Kirk had said softly, but as if to suggest that the subject was closed. Troyians talked too much.
"Coffee-table book!" Purdi sniffed. "At least that's what they used to call them. That's why you want the antique version - part of your collection!"
Kirk had left him with his misconception.
Alone at last in the penthouse, he still didn't take it out of the carrycase. The longer he waited, the greater the pleasure when at last he took it out, settled himself by the fire with his feet up and began turning pages, losing himself in another time, another place.
Kirk ran himself through the sonic shower in record time and slipped into an old sweatshirt. He padded into the kitchen and punched up a salad - McCoy had been on him about his weight again - and then settled back by the fire, and lovingly turned the crisp new pages of his anachronistic book.

Star Trek: Strangers from the Sky by Margaret Wander Bonanno, copyright 1987

Angharad73
Rohan

Apr 19 2013, 7:32am

Post #13 of 53 (1088 views)
Shortcut
I have voted paper... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but that's not entirely accurate. I really love both. It depends on the type of book I am reading. For novels, I prefer my eBook reader, for my history books I prefer paper, for anything in between it can go either way.

I love that with my reader I can take lots of books with me wherever I go. I'm a flighty creature - I may be happily reading something and then suddenly decide that I want something different. Also, have you ever been in a country where you don't know the language that well and run out of reading material? That's another reason I love my Kindle - I can buy another book if I need and start reading it within seconds.

That being said, for my beloved reference books I prefer paper. Even though some of them weigh enough to cripple you if you carry them around all day. I like leafing through them, just browsing and reading bits here and there. I like the old hardback ones especially, how they smell and how they seem to have their own history (I buy lots of used books).

So, I cannot decide which I like better. I voted paper books just because I am currently reading a lot of them. Ask me again next week, and my answer might be different.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 19 2013, 8:26am

Post #14 of 53 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Both? Never! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd much rather have a paper copy in my hands than some electronic device. I don't know what it is, but flicking through the pages with your fingers seems more satisfying than pressing buttons.

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 19 2013, 11:43am

Post #15 of 53 (1090 views)
Shortcut
Paper books work best for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 19 2013, 3:34pm

Post #16 of 53 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Real books don't need batteries! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 19 2013, 5:56pm

Post #17 of 53 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Amen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 19 2013, 10:23pm

Post #18 of 53 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Both! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some books I need to have in print so that I can flip around and refer to things.

Stuff that I'm just going to read once and never again, why kill a tree and take up shelf space with it?

Sam20
Lorien

Apr 19 2013, 10:39pm

Post #19 of 53 (1029 views)
Shortcut
A choice must be made [In reply to] Can't Post

@CuriousG Indeed I said that Paper book and ebook may be able to coexist in the futur and asked your opinions about it but I intentionally made 3 choices available for voting to somehow force people to make a choice here. As someone pointed out, there can be no shades of grey that way.

I didn't put audiobook because that's not what I was polling for. It is for reading book.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Apr 19 2013, 10:42pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2013, 12:13am

Post #20 of 53 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

Depends on the situation.....I have my laptop at work with ebooks.....car is a laptop usually....but in bed or at the cottage I bring a book....

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 20 2013, 4:15am

Post #21 of 53 (1003 views)
Shortcut
LOVE that quote! [In reply to] Can't Post

... and the book it's from. I have it now - paperback, bought used from my favorite book store (a real rabbit warren of a building, with the most hair-raising parking garage ever, and a large online presence, which is how I acquired said used book, since the bookstore and I are now in different states).

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 20 2013, 4:21am

Post #22 of 53 (1091 views)
Shortcut
My tastes run to used and library books, so [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted for paper. I also prefer CDs and DVDs/BluRays to downloads. Two main reasons: first, as JWPlatt noted, a physical copy of something is a lot less likely to dissolve into the ether; second, I have a preference for the indexing found in/on well-designed books/CDs/DVDs (I've been less happy with BluRay indexes, especially from Warner Bros. sigh).

(This post was edited by Arandiel on Apr 20 2013, 4:22am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 20 2013, 1:04pm

Post #23 of 53 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Dead trees and lead poisoning [In reply to] Can't Post

surely you've heard about this: Old Books - A New Source of Lead Poisoning?

Regardless, I'll give up my old books when they pry them from my cold, dead hands... which, in light of the lead, is all kinds of ironic.

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 20 2013, 2:18pm

Post #24 of 53 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Lead poisoning?! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not like we lick the pages! Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 20 2013, 4:29pm

Post #25 of 53 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Ironic or practical...? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
surely you've heard about this: Old Books - A New Source of Lead Poisoning?

Regardless, I'll give up my old books when they pry them from my cold, dead hands... which, in light of the lead, is all kinds of ironic.

Of course if we give you a proper Viking send-off, clutching some books will come in handy for kindling the flame...Angelic

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.