Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fun with Subtitles

The Grey Elf
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 12:38pm

Views: 1382
Shortcut
Fun with Subtitles Can't Post

Recently watched the DVD with subtitles and had to laugh at some discoveries. For instance, Bombur apparently spoke a number of times in the movie but always in a scene (such as Goblintown) where commotion masks it. In RID, Gollum uses his grammar and says "teeth," not "teef" so I guess our ears are deceiving us, LOL. And finally, the obscure word Gandalf uses while defending Bilbo to Thorin following his petrifying the trolls is "nous." Nous? Really? Thank God for dictionaries. I'll have to drop that one in a conversation sometime and count how many mystified looks I get.

Has anyone else used the subtitles and mined any discoveries, laughable or otherwise?

I know subtitles can have their share of glitches, but it does make me wonder who writes them and what they're based on -- the final draft of the script? The actual dialog heard as recorded? The subtitler's best guess?? Laugh

Subject User Time
Fun with Subtitles The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Mar 25 2013, 12:38pm
    I think if you dropped "nous" into conversation Tintallė Send a private message to Tintallė Mar 25 2013, 3:10pm
        Now don't get too excited The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Mar 25 2013, 3:57pm
    I'm confused, nous is a well-known word emre43 Send a private message to emre43 Mar 25 2013, 3:15pm
        well... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2013, 3:34pm
            Have you traveled much? imin Send a private message to imin Mar 25 2013, 3:37pm
                Depends on what you mean by 'much' Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2013, 3:41pm
                    Locally and globally well known. imin Send a private message to imin Mar 25 2013, 3:47pm
                        I hadn't heard of it until I saw the film. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 25 2013, 5:29pm
            I would expect a person to know what nous means Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Mar 25 2013, 3:40pm
                that qualification seems to belie the definition of 'well-known' Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2013, 3:45pm
                    MAG-gieMay..You SweetiePIE! Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Mar 25 2013, 6:54pm
            Same here... Osskil Send a private message to Osskil Mar 25 2013, 4:30pm
            I come from British stock Elberbeth Send a private message to Elberbeth Mar 25 2013, 8:41pm
        I guess the familiarity of the word depends on birthplace The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Mar 25 2013, 3:43pm
            It's nous to me too!// L. Ron Halfelven Send a private message to L. Ron Halfelven Mar 26 2013, 11:43am
                HAha! I was wondering how long before someone posted that!// The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Mar 26 2013, 11:57am
        Confused too Bellerock Send a private message to Bellerock Mar 26 2013, 4:35am
            Foreign Metal Slug Send a private message to Metal Slug Mar 26 2013, 7:13am
    subtitles - how they're derived Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2013, 3:31pm
    It's funny how often this sort of thing comes up... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Mar 25 2013, 3:51pm
        When i saw AUJ in the theater, sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 25 2013, 5:03pm
    Not "teef?" Is the McGurk Effect in play? SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Mar 25 2013, 4:44pm
        SirD, now you've gone and done it! The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Mar 25 2013, 5:01pm
    Like others I had no idea what nous meant Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Mar 25 2013, 5:40pm
        Nous has always meant "we" SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Mar 25 2013, 5:53pm
            Yes.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Mar 25 2013, 6:55pm
        I had no idea what Bilbo was saying with "conkers" as well, sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 25 2013, 6:14pm
            What do you call conkers? Surely not be their real name?! ;-) / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 25 2013, 6:24pm
                I know there's some joke I'm missing here Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2013, 6:34pm
                    In southern Illinois, sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 25 2013, 6:44pm
                        ah, yes... I sometimes forget the two different names Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2013, 7:01pm
                            Regarding trees that are a pain in the you know what to have in your yard... sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 25 2013, 8:18pm
                                well you guys are way ahead of me in this regard Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Mar 26 2013, 1:53am
                                    Conker world championships :P imin Send a private message to imin Mar 26 2013, 1:59am
                                        Thanks Imin Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Mar 26 2013, 3:28am
                        Hard? No.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Mar 25 2013, 7:02pm
                    My sentence might have made more sense to you .... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 25 2013, 6:56pm
                        so 'by their real name' you meant horse chestnuts? Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2013, 7:04pm
                            No bawdy name that I know of Magpie! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 25 2013, 7:14pm
                                lol... MAPLE! Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2013, 7:19pm
                    i alwys thought gandalf a saying "knowledge" TheCoon Send a private message to TheCoon Mar 26 2013, 1:28am
    I thought this thread was going to be about Neekerbreekers of Unusual Size Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Mar 25 2013, 5:57pm
        I'm afraid it's gone far afield of the original post's topic and question Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2013, 7:13pm
            Rick Cottontree caught me for years! // Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Mar 25 2013, 7:19pm
                lol // Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2013, 7:20pm
                He's friends with Tree Rootandtwig! / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 25 2013, 7:28pm
                I still have no idea what that means! sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 25 2013, 8:12pm
                    Rick = a stack or pile of hay. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Mar 25 2013, 9:21pm
                        Yeah, i googled it (finally). sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 25 2013, 9:39pm
                            "Nous" was new ( and enjoyable ) to me. FrodoTook Send a private message to FrodoTook Mar 25 2013, 11:10pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.