Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Box office update

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 18 2013, 8:24pm

Post #1 of 16 (1268 views)
Shortcut
Box office update Can't Post

Total Lifetime Grosses Domestic: $302,393,021 29.8% +Foreign $711,700,000 70.2%
= Worldwide: $1,014,093,021

10 million up to Alice in Wonderland, and then 3 million more to A Phantom Menace.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Mar 18 2013, 8:24pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Mar 18 2013, 9:11pm

Post #2 of 16 (696 views)
Shortcut
Too bad this is pretty much it [In reply to] Can't Post

It's at $49.5m in China, having made like $3m last week. It's to lose the majority of its screens in a few days.

glor
Rohan

Mar 18 2013, 9:29pm

Post #3 of 16 (617 views)
Shortcut
Do you know... [In reply to] Can't Post

..whether trilogy screenings, and special screenings of AUJ when DOS and TABA are released will be included in the total in future?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 18 2013, 9:46pm

Post #4 of 16 (559 views)
Shortcut
Yes, all future screenings are added [In reply to] Can't Post

to the film's box office total.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 18 2013, 9:55pm

Post #5 of 16 (580 views)
Shortcut
Looks like it [In reply to] Can't Post

Not bad on the whole, though, given how dour prediction's the movie got during it's first weekend. The two most important milestones were reached: 300 million US and 1 billion + worldwide.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Mar 18 2013, 9:56pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Mar 18 2013, 10:05pm

Post #6 of 16 (517 views)
Shortcut
If it's a separate screening, probably [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's part of a trilogy or duology screening, i dunno how they're gonna split up the money, if at all. Maybe it all goes to the last movie.

Anyway, it's chump change. I'm not entirely sure but i think all the re-screenings added less than $5m worldwide to FOTR's gross.

imin
Valinor

Mar 19 2013, 12:03am

Post #7 of 16 (482 views)
Shortcut
Hope it beats Alice in Wonderland [In reply to] Can't Post

That film was terrible - i still don't know how it made so much money! All America's fault - looking at box office takings, lol.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 19 2013, 1:22am

Post #8 of 16 (463 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a Burton fan but hey lots of people like his films. Same with Tarantino. I certainly don't like his films but lots of people do. I guess all I can say is his art doesn't really appeal to me. LOL.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 19 2013, 7:05am

Post #9 of 16 (378 views)
Shortcut
First big 3D movie after Avatar. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it rode on that wave before it became "normal". Plus Depp doing his 100th version of Sparrow, of course ;)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 19 2013, 9:49am

Post #10 of 16 (337 views)
Shortcut
From what I remember of the film... [In reply to] Can't Post

The only part of the film to really take advantage of the 3D was at the end. It really didn't need to be in 3D. Same goes for the last Harry Potter film.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 19 2013, 7:10pm

Post #11 of 16 (213 views)
Shortcut
Agreed about the cause of the success. New fangled thing draw, plus Depp, plus the Alice familiarity. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't agree about Depp as Sparrow. The man was stunningly Edward Scissorhands, Gilbert Grape and Bam Bam the transvestite prostitute, among a host of other things, long before he came to Pirates. He was much of the draw for the Pirates films before anyone knew the name Jack Sparrow.

In Reply To
I think it rode on that wave before it became "normal". Plus Depp doing his 100th version of Sparrow, of course ;)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

imin
Valinor

Mar 19 2013, 7:34pm

Post #12 of 16 (206 views)
Shortcut
Ah Edward Scissorhands [In reply to] Can't Post

Made such an impression on me as a young child - love that film! One of the few films to make me cry!

Also thanks everyone for replies - i can see why it was such a hit, sometimes though i think films almost take on a life of their own and generate massive amounts of money when no one really knows why - transformers making as much as they did springs to mind.

glor
Rohan

Mar 20 2013, 12:22am

Post #13 of 16 (164 views)
Shortcut
Transformers.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Summer Holiday, kids are off school, marketed at kids to nag their parents to death to take them to the cinema, isn't a naff/twee disney cartoon that's going to have parents wanting to poke their own eyes out with a stick,12A certificate which means parent could possibly enjoy it for entertainment value; make sure marketing capitalises on this by ensuring either a) young female in tight costume doing action, b) only witty line in film with adult orientated joke the kids won't get c) even better do both a and b) equals mega summer blockbuster.

I mean how many times did the marketing for The Avengers movie feature Scarlet Johansson in a tight leather costume for 'the dads'?Mad

I am so glad that when my kids were growing up, I couldn't take them to the movies because I don't drive, my husband watched a LOT of drivelLaugh

No mystery at all, the marketing dept knows why.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 20 2013, 1:56pm

Post #14 of 16 (129 views)
Shortcut
Separated at birth. I love Edward Scissorhands! / [In reply to] Can't Post

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 2:19am

Post #15 of 16 (124 views)
Shortcut
There is also, for Transformers, the nostalgia power it holds for children of the 80s and 90s [In reply to] Can't Post

Get the look and voices right (the used the original voice actor for Prime from the cartoon) and you are going to get some people in the theaters. I saw the first trailer for the first one in theatres before I knew they were being turned into films. My reaction to seeing the big blue 18 wheeler roll up with that insignia was to clutch the arm of the perfect stranger sitting beside me and whisper, "Uh! It's Optimus Prime!" lol. I didn't even see the third one, but I admitted to having been really excited about that first one. Not half as excited as I was for any Rings related film, but nevertheless. . . icons of youth are a powerful draw. lol

In Reply To
Summer Holiday, kids are off school, marketed at kids to nag their parents to death to take them to the cinema, isn't a naff/twee disney cartoon that's going to have parents wanting to poke their own eyes out with a stick,12A certificate which means parent could possibly enjoy it for entertainment value; make sure marketing capitalises on this by ensuring either a) young female in tight costume doing action, b) only witty line in film with adult orientated joke the kids won't get c) even better do both a and b) equals mega summer blockbuster.

I mean how many times did the marketing for The Avengers movie feature Scarlet Johansson in a tight leather costume for 'the dads'?Mad

I am so glad that when my kids were growing up, I couldn't take them to the movies because I don't drive, my husband watched a LOT of drivelLaugh

No mystery at all, the marketing dept knows why.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 2:25am

Post #16 of 16 (126 views)
Shortcut
What is important is that THe Hobbit held it's own. That didn't have to happen, and the Narnia [In reply to] Can't Post

franchise is a perfect example. The first film did better than some of the Potter and Twilight films, and almost as well as Fellowship (within 10 million or so). The second and third films, both in the same highly popular (admittedly none as well celebrated as the first) set of classic books, barely broke even domestically, and were really only moderately saved by foriegn additionals. It could have gone quite badly for THe Hobbit. It could have just made it over the 100 million dollar threshold, which is great for a standard, lower publicity blockbuster or surprise blockbuster, but is a horrible failure for the sort of anticipated to be mega blockbuster that gets 100 million or more spent on it in production and is expected to at least clear 200 million.

In Reply To
It's at $49.5m in China, having made like $3m last week. It's to lose the majority of its screens in a few days.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.