Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit: new 'company of characters' info-graphic!

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 15 2013, 6:17pm

Post #1 of 8 (1218 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: new 'company of characters' info-graphic! Can't Post

A cool new infographic for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has just become available. This one details each of the key characters from the film, along with a succinct line that gives an insight into the personality of each character.

Still, I must nitpick. Galadriel is not "the oldest of all the Elves in Middle-earth". At the time of the Third Age, the oldest of the Eldar still in Middle-earth (that we know of), is the Telerin elf, and Lord of the Grey Havens, Cirdan the Shipwright. And we do see Cirdan briefly in the film adaptations of The Lord of the Rings -- initially in the prologue sequence where the Three Rings are distributed by Celebrimbor (see here) and then at the end of The Return of the King when he greets the departing Frodo, Gandalf and co as they take ship for Valinor (see that one here). So Cirdan the Shipwright certainly exists in the movie universe.

You can read a little about speculation about the age of Cirdan in this old Greenbooks post by Staffer Turgon. Basically, Cirdan undertook The Great Journey (but stayed in Middle-earth); Galadriel was born in Valinor after the Vanyar, Noldor and some of the Telerin elves finished The Great Journey and reached Aman. Ergo Cirdan is the older of the two.

Anyway, arguments over canon aside, this is cool. Enjoy!

Hobbit inforgraphic #2

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 16 2013, 9:05am

Post #2 of 8 (645 views)
Shortcut
More nitpicking ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why don't they explain Bifur's head injury in the film? Surely it's an important point to make to the audience??

alienorchid
Lorien

Mar 16 2013, 9:55am

Post #3 of 8 (601 views)
Shortcut
My guess is that it will come up in the next two movies [In reply to] Can't Post

since we will probably get to see some more of the dwarves coming to the forefront, actually getting lines and screentime.

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Mar 16 2013, 10:02am

Post #4 of 8 (599 views)
Shortcut
why [In reply to] Can't Post

Why is it an important point to make in the film? It has no bearing on the quest (except for Bifur likes killing orcs), it's just a cool bit of character backstory for the fans. They don't explain Dwalin's tattoos either, they are just there as an extra background detail which help to create such a rich history for the story.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 16 2013, 10:11am

Post #5 of 8 (586 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin's tattoos don't define the character [In reply to] Can't Post

Bifur's character is completely defined by the axe sticking out of his head, meaning he can only speak in Khuzdul. A 30 second scene could easily have Bilbo ask about Bifur's incident.

It doesn't need to be explained in AUJ, because he only has one line. But it would be nice for Bilbo to have interaction with all the Company. Learning where they came from, why there on the Quest, and learning about their own history should be shown.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 16 2013, 10:13am)

malickfan
Gondor

Mar 16 2013, 3:11pm

Post #6 of 8 (536 views)
Shortcut
Regarding Cirdan the Shipwright's Age [In reply to] Can't Post

I have recently finished a (very long) essay exploring and analysing Cirdan's role and history in the mythology (plus exploring his age, beard, fate and other things), posted on my old blog feel free to check it out:

http://paulashwellreviews.wordpress.com/...e-tolkien-fans-only/

And I came to the conclusion that he was at least 11,000 years old, and defintely the oldest Elve in North-Western Middle Earth.

Thanks for posting that...interesting to note they list Frodo as Bilbo's distant cousin when I always got the impression he was merely Bilbo's nephew in the films...

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Finrod
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 3:55pm

Post #7 of 8 (533 views)
Shortcut
Of peredhil and double cousins one removed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have recently finished a (very long) essay exploring and analysing Cirdan's role and history in the mythology (plus exploring his age, beard, fate and other things), posted on my old blog feel free to check it out:

http://paulashwellreviews.wordpress.com/...e-tolkien-fans-only/

And I came to the conclusion that he was at least 11,000 years old, and defintely the oldest Elve in North-Western Middle Earth.

Thanks for posting that...interesting to note they list Frodo as Bilbo's distant cousin when I always got the impression he was merely Bilbo's nephew in the films...

Yes, Círdan was the eldest Edhel still residing in Middle Earth at this time. Note the beard. He may even have awoken at Cuiviénien.

Elrond of course was no Edhel, but a Peredhel of the line of Lúthien the half-divine. As his nephew Aragorn said of him: ‘Would that Elrond were here, for he is the eldest of all our race, and has the greater power.’

Famously, Bilbo and Frodo were first and second cousins, both once removed. People take too literally the uncle–nephew thing. It was customary to use such terms when there was a generational difference between kin, as applies here with Bilbo and Frodo.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Mar 18 2013, 6:47pm

Post #8 of 8 (413 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin's tattoos are quite a big part of who he is but I agree they aren't as important to him as getting an axe in your head which stops you speaking a language [In reply to] Can't Post

However I really don't think an explanation of a physical trait of a minor character is in any way an essential thing to include in the films. It has no bearing on the overall plot at all (I imagine).

It's explained in the guidebooks etc for the people who are interested enough to seek it out. It might make it into the extended edition but you're average movie going fan isn't going to find a 30 second scene talking about Bifur head-axe anything other than a distraction.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.