Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit on Blu-Ray arrives early
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 11:09pm

Post #1 of 29 (1601 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit on Blu-Ray arrives early Can't Post

Came home today and my digibook from Wal-Mart arrived early. Was pleasantly surprised and excited ill get to check it out on Blu this weekend.

Pic 1

Pic 2

(This post was edited by Elessar on Mar 15 2013, 11:15pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 15 2013, 11:12pm

Post #2 of 29 (693 views)
Shortcut
Good for you Elessar! [In reply to] Can't Post

ENJOY!!! Smile

I love the art, btw! I see why you went broad in your purchasing!

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Ardamr
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 11:14pm

Post #3 of 29 (672 views)
Shortcut
Always love when that happens! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manw; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 11:16pm

Post #4 of 29 (674 views)
Shortcut
Thank ya [In reply to] Can't Post

Will doSmile

Yeah, it's pretty sweet! Yeah, so many good choices and I'm a sucker lol

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 11:17pm

Post #5 of 29 (661 views)
Shortcut
Virtual high five [In reply to] Can't Post

Betty McG

Mar 16 2013, 12:00am

Post #6 of 29 (670 views)
Shortcut
Mine came this morning too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's also the Walmart bluray combo. I am pleasantly surprised at how nice the packaging and the book are, the disks are easy to get to. I won't be able to go shopping for a bluray player until next week. Already popped in the DVD and the quality is better than I expected. I haven't checked VUDU/Ultraviolet to see if I can watch the version on my account yet.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 12:11am

Post #7 of 29 (622 views)
Shortcut
Lucky! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking that Amazon (where i ordered mine) will deliver Monday morning. They often deliver the day before. And it's probably asking way too much to think it might come tomorrow morning...

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 12:14am

Post #8 of 29 (624 views)
Shortcut
Sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems if you ordered from Wal-Mart you got it early. The digibook is really nice and I agree the discs are easy to get to. You should be able to get it now. The vudu one has been available since the 12th.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 12:17am

Post #9 of 29 (613 views)
Shortcut
Indeed :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect my Amazon order to maybe arrive Monday. They tend to arrive one day early but this was nuts to show up so soon.

Betty McG

Mar 16 2013, 12:39am

Post #10 of 29 (620 views)
Shortcut
Walmart packaging says it would ship to arrive on or after 19 March [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to switch internet providers and my connection is good enough to sign up for VUDU but a bit slow and erratic for viewing. I saw it on my account but just haven't tried to watch it. I'm still going to need the extended versions. And more books......

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 12:50am

Post #11 of 29 (602 views)
Shortcut
Oops [In reply to] Can't Post

Missed it by a little. lol

Streaming is ok. I don't care for it since even with a good connection it can be wacky. That's why for digital I bought it from iTunes as its more reliable. I want more books as well. Can't read enough about Middle-earth.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 1:08am

Post #12 of 29 (578 views)
Shortcut
What kind of information [In reply to] Can't Post

does the digibook cover? It looks nice, but is it worth an additional purchase?

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 1:22am

Post #13 of 29 (595 views)
Shortcut
The book [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a mini version of The World of Hobbits book. It may not be every page but if you have that it's that. I will say its a nice mini version, great art front and back, and seems well put together. So I think it's worth it.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 16 2013, 1:22am

Post #14 of 29 (710 views)
Shortcut
Nothing new (pics inside). [In reply to] Can't Post

The book is basically just a miniature version of the "World of Hobbits" tie-in book, which is already available.

Pics:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/...4&postcount=1089

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 16 2013, 1:24am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 1:25am

Post #15 of 29 (569 views)
Shortcut
Well, i'm a bit of a completist [In reply to] Can't Post

so i might just be picking it up. Thanks for the info.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 1:45am

Post #16 of 29 (538 views)
Shortcut
Makes 2 of us [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear ya. Lol No problem. Cool

stormcrow20
Gondor

Mar 16 2013, 6:48am

Post #17 of 29 (515 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Blu-Ray [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Elessar and Aragorn the Elfstone for the information and photos! I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff, and still debating which exclusive version to get. This really helps.

I can deal with choosing between unique package designs, or incentive trinkets (poster, Lego figure, digibook), but when they start splitting the bonus featurettes between retailers....that really irritates me.

I'm currently leaning toward the Best Buy exclusive with lenticular slipcover and 30 minute documentary. I was very tempted by Walmart's offering, especially with the 3D preorder card, but I already have the World of Hobbits book, and I vastly prefer on-disc (rather than digital) featurettes.

I have some questions that will help me make a final decision:

The sticker on the Walmart digibook states that it has 64 pages, yet my copy of The World of Hobbits only has 48 pages. Can anyone tell what the extra content is, that is not part of World of Hobbits?

What are the featurettes, and how good are they?

Is there any information on the Best Buy documentary/featurette?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 16 2013, 6:54am

Post #18 of 29 (456 views)
Shortcut
That makes two of us. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Best Buy edition still seems the best way to go IMO, although I do love digibooks. I just wish they'd put in production notes instead of a miniaturized version of the 'World of Hobbits' book. The 30 minute documentary on the Best Buy version sounds more appealing to me. Although I've never been crazy about lenticular covers, the imagery (Bilbo/Gollum) is my favorite of the different designs.

I agree about the different featurettes being exclusives. That infuriates me. They could have thrown all of them onto the regular Blu-ray edition and we'd have a decent package of extras. Not mind blowing extras, mind you (that gets left to the extended edition) - but still a healthy amount. As it is, they're scattered all over the place - and we're left with taking a stab at which edition offers the best of them. Again, my money's on the 30 minute documentary on the BB edition. *Fingers crossed*

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 16 2013, 7:03am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 16 2013, 8:40am

Post #19 of 29 (442 views)
Shortcut
What are you doing on here then?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Get watching it! Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 16 2013, 8:42am

Post #20 of 29 (426 views)
Shortcut
I'm more impressed you have (what looks like) 5 external hard drives! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 12:15pm

Post #21 of 29 (382 views)
Shortcut
No problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I am as well. That's why I ended up with a couple different cover options. lol

I'm with ya. Just make the covers or other items like figures exclusive and give me the bonus features. I'm sure in the long run it will all be on the EE but if its not then that's even more lame. To tell y the truth I may pick up a copy from BB just for that.

I believe it's more pages because its shrunk down. Basically something that may have been on one page in the big book is now 2. The featurettes are cool. There is the 16 min one we've seen before and then you get 3 smaller ones on Thorin, Bilbo, and The White Council.

I don't know to be honest.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 12:16pm

Post #22 of 29 (390 views)
Shortcut
Had to share [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus I knew I wouldn't watch it last night. Had some college basketball to watch as its almost NCAA Tournament time here in the US.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 16 2013, 2:53pm

Post #23 of 29 (354 views)
Shortcut
Credit on that goes to someone else. [In reply to] Can't Post

They aren't my pics. Wink

I'll be picking the film up on Tuesday with the rest of you. Smile

- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 16 2013, 2:57pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 16 2013, 4:18pm

Post #24 of 29 (320 views)
Shortcut
Not quite the rest.... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have to wait a few more weeks, 'til 8th April when it's relaeased here. That's really frustrating now, knowing other people can be sitting down to watch it - I'm looking forward to seeing it again. I'm hoping they might relent and let it out a bit earlier....! Wink

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 17 2013, 5:03am

Post #25 of 29 (241 views)
Shortcut
Got mine today! [In reply to] Can't Post

I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray package from Wal Mart too. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with Best Buy, from what others here have said. I don't care about the little booklet inserted in the middle of the disc pack. I've got the Sibley and Fisher books as well as the Chronicles, and I think this little one is just fluff. And I'm not a computer-show-watching oriented person, so yeah, I'd rather have things on disc rather than digital download. But I'm old-fashioned.

The regular DVD disc I wanted so I could play it elsewhere, where there isn't a Blu-Ray player available. And the third disc includes the ten Production Videos, which I will enjoy. That one is also in Blu-Ray.

And of course, there is enclosed a slip of paper that has the Magic Code and the website URL on it in order to watch the sneak peek of DOS on the 24th. Which, naturally, I won't be able to watch at that time since our local Tolkien group here is having our yearly discussion on that day...at that time. Hopefully it will appear on You Tube!!

And oh yeah, it was out of the package before I even got back in the house...and I immediately watched it again! Oh how I miss the big screen! But at least I can replay The Misty Mountains song over and over to my heart's content now! Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.