Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
MTV "Rough Cut" Hobbit Videos? (Not new, but interesting?)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lio
Lorien

Mar 12 2013, 11:30pm

Post #1 of 31 (1202 views)
Shortcut
MTV "Rough Cut" Hobbit Videos? (Not new, but interesting?) Can't Post

So I was just looking things up and stumbled on these clips of Peter Jackson talking about The Hobbit movies. They appear to be from around the time of the AUJ release, but somehow I must have missed them before. Unfortunately it doesn't matter either way, since the site seems to be blocking users from outside the US (I'm in Canada). Mad As far as I can tell the videos are not available anywhere else either.

Well, I might as well get to the point: would anyone who lives in the US be able to watch them and let the rest of the world know if PJ has anything interesting to say? Angelic Personally, I'm particularly interested in in video 2 (Azog) and 5 (Gollum). Are there any juicy spoilers? (Okay, probably not. But. I. Must. Know. Crazy)

Here are the links, I hope they work:

Thanks in advance! Sly

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Kullervo
Rivendell

Mar 13 2013, 12:22am

Post #2 of 31 (634 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen these either [In reply to] Can't Post

and am quite curious. It would be great if someone could somehow upload these on to Youtube.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 13 2013, 1:01am

Post #3 of 31 (653 views)
Shortcut
No more Gollum? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm. At one point, I seem to recall that we were told that we might see a bit more of Gollum in these films than we did in the book of The Hobbit. It looks as though that this is no longer the case.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2013, 1:20am

Post #4 of 31 (658 views)
Shortcut
Azog *movie spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson explains where in the books Azog came from, and that he brought Azog's story line into the movie's real time because he wanted a personal villain for Thorin. He ends by saying there is a lot more Azog coming in movies 2 and 3.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2013, 1:24am

Post #5 of 31 (608 views)
Shortcut
Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson states that he has no particular plans to include Gollum in the other Hobbit movies. But does not rule it out, noting there is a lot of Gollum material that takes place in Tolkien's writings between Hobbit and LotR.

Moahunter
Rohan

Mar 13 2013, 1:37am

Post #6 of 31 (600 views)
Shortcut
I'm outside the US, here in NZ...... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I've just watched them

Ardamr
Valinor

Mar 13 2013, 2:36am

Post #7 of 31 (600 views)
Shortcut
Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad that he's probably not going to reappear in these movies. It'll make his reappearance in FOTR that much better, I think. Instead of people thinking "Oh it's that creepy dude again. He's been in all the movies so far, and I'd wondered how he'd fit in this one" it will be more like "Oh wow, there's that creepy dude from the very first movie. I wonder what he's up to now!"

At least, that's how I imagine it Tongue

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manw; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

Ardamr
Valinor

Mar 13 2013, 2:39am

Post #8 of 31 (601 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

But couldn't that have been Bolg? I just don't understand the purpose of resurrecting a dead character to fulfill a role that could easily (and more appropriately) be filled by a live character.

At any rate, I'll be more willing to accept Azog in films 2 & 3 if his CGI is top-notch. We know it can be (e.g. Gollum), so I expect it to be considering all the time they have.

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manw; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2013, 3:08am

Post #9 of 31 (590 views)
Shortcut
Bolg and Azog are both characters of the movie series *book spoiler* [In reply to] Can't Post

So I suspect Bolg is not doing the things Azog is doing in the film, because he will (once we meet him properly) be doing other things.

Ardamr
Valinor

Mar 13 2013, 3:38am

Post #10 of 31 (557 views)
Shortcut
Different roles [In reply to] Can't Post

If there are two different roles for the two of them, wouldn't it make the most sense to make Bolg the one intent on revenge who ultimately gets killed in the BoFA? The other role (one not from the book) could be filled by a character who is made up - like Yazneg.

Just my $.02

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2013, 4:18am

Post #11 of 31 (542 views)
Shortcut
*book spoiler* [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless, of course, one of the things Bolg gets up to is being killed by Beorn (as in the book). Which would be a reason to keep the name of the character.

I think likewise that Azog having been the killer of Thror, is why he was given the role he was given.

Ardamr
Valinor

Mar 13 2013, 4:54am

Post #12 of 31 (527 views)
Shortcut
Possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that's a very likely possibility.

I guess I just don't like the idea of resurrecting a character to give him a revenge plot against one of the main characters when that wasn't at all in the book. Unsure

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2013, 7:46am

Post #13 of 31 (475 views)
Shortcut
Not available to view in the UK :-( // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2013, 7:52am

Post #14 of 31 (495 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

This news about more Azog has really put the dampners on TH for me...my interest in the whole project just took a further nosedive... Frown

Let's hope we get some Beorn/Persbrandt soon to perk me up again! Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 13 2013, 8:25am

Post #15 of 31 (498 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

"Oh wow, there's that creepy dude from the very first movie. I wonder what he's up to now!"

Somehow this sounded so funny to me trying to get my work day started... thanks for that!

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 13 2013, 9:08am

Post #16 of 31 (489 views)
Shortcut
I'm intrigued what the answer is to #4. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not available to watch in the UK. Is anyone able to summarise what is said?

Smile

AlatarVinyamar
Lorien

Mar 13 2013, 10:51am

Post #17 of 31 (462 views)
Shortcut
I can't view it either [In reply to] Can't Post

But on the site it has the following beside the Video Not Playing box:

Peter Jackson explains "that would have to require a whole new edition of 'Fellowship,' which isn't on the table at the moment."

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2013, 11:35am

Post #18 of 31 (493 views)
Shortcut
PJ basically says [In reply to] Can't Post

that putting the new Bilbo/Gollum scene with the discovery of the ring into Fellowship would require a whole new version of it, which he's not in a position to do right now. (He seemed to leave the possibility open.) However, he says that for sentimental reasons, and because Ian Holm is so much a part of the first trilogy, it would be hard to replace him. (The segment is only a minute long.)

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 13 2013, 12:17pm

Post #19 of 31 (444 views)
Shortcut
Thank you :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I expected as much.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2013, 12:19pm

Post #20 of 31 (435 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 13 2013, 2:46pm

Post #21 of 31 (417 views)
Shortcut
Well, Gollum doesn't properly appear again until a couple of years after Bilbo's adventure... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be difficult to have Gollum appear again without (again!) altering Tolkien's timeline. At most, I was thinking that we might see him emerge from under the Misty Mountains near the very end of TaBA.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ardamr
Valinor

Mar 13 2013, 4:35pm

Post #22 of 31 (415 views)
Shortcut
More Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't really say I'm surprised. But I am disappointed. I just hope the CGI is the very best it can be. I'll be more forgiving that way.

I'm actually one of those who's not too worried about when we finally get to see Beorn. It'll come when it comes. I'd much rather get a good glimpse of Tauriel!

Ardamr
Valinor

Mar 13 2013, 4:41pm

Post #23 of 31 (413 views)
Shortcut
A laugh [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to have kickstarted your day with a laugh Laugh

Lio
Lorien

Mar 13 2013, 8:58pm

Post #24 of 31 (374 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Gollum might still have at least a brief cameo due to his popularity, but it looks like that might not be the case. I can understand that it would be difficult to fit him in somewhere though. Still, PJ's made more dramatic changes before so I wouldn't rule it out. Tongue

Lio
Lorien

Mar 13 2013, 9:03pm

Post #25 of 31 (432 views)
Shortcut
Ah-HA! Confirmed, confirmed! (movie spoilers continued) [In reply to] Can't Post

So it looks like Azog will survive on to the third movie after all! I knew it!

It seems like I'm the only one excited about this though. I just think that as a major villain it's good for him to get more development, especially since they've set him up as a personal antagonist for Thorin. He was in AUJ for all of, what, ten minutes? Tongue Plus I like the idea of an Orc character as a serious antagonist. The only one to come close so far was Gothmog. I just hope Bolg gets sufficient screen time as well.

Thanks for this info, by the way! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.