The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Don't you HATE the MGM lion roar? I do.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Mar 5 2013, 12:27am

Post #1 of 23 (1107 views)
Shortcut
Don't you HATE the MGM lion roar? I do. Can't Post

The beginning of the soundtrack is beyond awesomeness, it's pure perfection, IMHO.
I think they should have placed that roar before the movie started, not over the music. Or, better, just mute it.
First the music brings you inside the movie, like a Stargate, you are being demolecularized, you are accelerated at the spped of light, soon to reach Middle Earth... and then, BAM! you hit wall with your head.
Don't you think it's just a shame? and a desrespectful act against Shore's work?

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 12:37am

Post #2 of 23 (701 views)
Shortcut
I like it. [In reply to] Can't Post

But then, I'm a big time cinephile and I've always loved the MGM Lion Smile. I'm quite font of their new logo (pulling back from the front of the screen). It distinguishes this trilogy from the other and leads well into the gold opening titles.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

imin
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 12:39am

Post #3 of 23 (649 views)
Shortcut
I really like it // [In reply to] Can't Post

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 12:40am

Post #4 of 23 (686 views)
Shortcut
I am inclined to agree with you. I like the presence of the Lion [In reply to] Can't Post

and even of the old WB logo. Something about it that speaks of a Golden age of films, particularly in this genre, as the Lion of MGM hearkens to The wizard of Oz, and the WB recalls films like The Neverending Story. I didn't notice the roar overtaking the music. In the end, it just didn't bother me.

In Reply To
But then, I'm a big time cinephile and I've always loved the MGM Lion Smile. I'm quite font of their new logo (pulling back from the front of the screen). It distinguishes this trilogy from the other and leads well into the gold opening titles.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2013, 12:43am

Post #5 of 23 (674 views)
Shortcut
Hate [In reply to] Can't Post

Hate is a strong word, especially capitalized. So, no. I never thought about it.

I don't even hate The Green Tint debacle or the Anger Hug cliche . I just dislike them. But I don't dislike the MGM lion's roar. It's been around for so many years, it's subliminal.

What I really like is when 20th Century Fox runs their entire musical logo instead of truncating it as they did for a while. I think Star Wars had something to do with bringing it back. For me, it *is* Star Wars.

Maybe there's something like that for MGM, such as The Wizard of Oz, especially with that whole Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon thing synchronized with the 3rd roar of the lion.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 1:01am

Post #6 of 23 (636 views)
Shortcut
I don't hate it-- [In reply to] Can't Post

it's been around so long, it's synonymous with classic cinema. It's not as classic as the 20th Cenury Fox fanfare before Star Wars, but it's close.

But i do miss the way the LotR movies started with the New Line Logo leading into the music of those movies. The MGM lion did seem out of place before AUJ.

imin
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 1:15am

Post #7 of 23 (651 views)
Shortcut
THX intro is the best ever [In reply to] Can't Post

love the wall of sound that hits you! Ah gonna have to youtube it!

Edit - here is a good one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv-FNz7zrSw

(This post was edited by imin on Mar 5 2013, 1:21am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 2:18am

Post #8 of 23 (620 views)
Shortcut
Was going to say the same thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of my favourites though it seems we don't see the THX deep note very often any more.

As for the MGM word mark, it's one of the oldest around and it still gives me a thrill, like so many others... production logos are important bits of iconography, and they mean something to me. When they get changed, or aren't seen any longer I'm usually all wth?

Still I think xxxxyy makes a valid point in that the MGM logo seemed a tidge out of place when it comes to this particular franchise.

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 2:36am

Post #9 of 23 (603 views)
Shortcut
The yellow lion's eye closeup and the roar bookend Smaug's eye [In reply to] Can't Post

and the ominous sound of slithering gold in the final shot, did you notice?
That roar tells me I'm in for some cinematic enchantment.

Spencissimus
Lorien

Mar 5 2013, 2:40am

Post #10 of 23 (586 views)
Shortcut
I have no issue with it [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I get a kick out of hearing it because it's a sound synonymous with many great films. It doesn't break immersion for me in any way either.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 3:00am

Post #11 of 23 (588 views)
Shortcut
I love that too! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the lion well..it's part of cinema history so I'm okay with it. I just wish it was lounder and deeper thant it is..sort of like THX!

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 5 2013, 5:35am

Post #12 of 23 (552 views)
Shortcut
The first time [In reply to] Can't Post

it felt a little out of place, but then I realized that was because I had momentarily forgotten that MGM was even involved with it (*facepalm; but hey, I was giddy with excitement at that moment for the midnight show). The last time I went, I didn't really notice the roar. Of course I haven't seen the film in like 2 months!!! It's been a pretty long time...I'm so jealous of everyone whose local theater has AUJ still showing. Frown

But, alas, it's only two more weeks until the DVD comes out! Ah, can't wait to settle in with my remote for awhile.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 5 2013, 7:28am

Post #13 of 23 (528 views)
Shortcut
I have no reason to dislike it [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, the first time I saw the film, I thought they were doing a LOST, and it was going to be Bilbo's eye! Wink

Perhaps they should replace the lion in each film, with one of the more "evil" characters. Gollum growling would be fun.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 5 2013, 8:04am

Post #14 of 23 (524 views)
Shortcut
If i said I hated it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'd be "lion".

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 8:45am

Post #15 of 23 (516 views)
Shortcut
I like that one too, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't feel it would fit very well for LOTR or The Hobbit. In fact, I think it would feel very out of place. It reminds me of Star Wars.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Kullervo
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 8:57am

Post #16 of 23 (504 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, It's ok [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not my mane quibble with the movie.

imin
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 9:21am

Post #17 of 23 (490 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would be too much for lotr/the hobbit movies to begin with, feeling out of place as you say. It was more just a mention of 'this is my fave opening logos' For me it reminds me of Star Wars as you mentioned but also T2

My friend who i used to live with as a student had surround sound and used to blast this out before a movie, would make the whole room shake! It was awesome, haha!

andwise
Rivendell

Mar 5 2013, 9:31am

Post #18 of 23 (488 views)
Shortcut
i know what you mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really hate it but its always seemed a bit cheesy to me.I think what they could have done to blend it all a bit better was to have all the logos in that burnished gold colour that appeared on the trailers then they wouldn't have felt so seperate.its not a big problem though really and to be honest they'll never top the opening of TTT,Howard shores brooding,swelling score growing as the new line logo swirls in to place and then the opening shot of the misty mountains.wow! In my humble opinion,the greatest opening to a movie ever (coupled with the frenetic scene that follows of course) genius and classic.but we have two movies to come,PJ may yet blow us all away again Smile

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 1:57pm

Post #19 of 23 (437 views)
Shortcut
Love it... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I like the music underneath the logos and don't mind the roar.

It is a very memorable logo-start... which several good movies have, imho :)

imin
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 2:06pm

Post #20 of 23 (439 views)
Shortcut
Good link to show how the MGM lion has changed throughout the years // [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz3caWSqg54

xxxyyy
Rohan

Mar 5 2013, 11:26pm

Post #21 of 23 (380 views)
Shortcut
Ok, most of you pointed out the "visual aspect". And as for the 20th Century FOX intro... [In reply to] Can't Post

The lion, I do not hate it, I do not hate the symbol, or the company behind it, I have a lot of respect for what it achived.
I hate the fact that IT COVERS THE GODDAMN MUSIC.
For me Shore's music in untouchable,
They didn't show respect to it, they just said screw it, let's put our nice roar OVER THE MUSIC.
I hope they fix, at least, this in the EE.
As for the FOX intro, it happens before the movie starts, at least in Star wars... not sure in other movies.
MGM should have done the same.
First, put your precious roaring lion and then shut up and let the movie flow.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

(This post was edited by xxxyyy on Mar 5 2013, 11:27pm)

andwise
Rivendell

Mar 6 2013, 10:17am

Post #22 of 23 (336 views)
Shortcut
its a good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think its a catastrophe,but,they definitely should have given more thought to this and as you say,shown a bit more respect to shore's magical score.maybe the lion should have been first,roaring with no music.then through the lions eye as the music begins,to reveal the Warner bros logo which then recontructs into the new line logo,all of them in gold.but this is all irrelevant really because they'll do whatever they want at the end of the day.be great if the lion doesn't interrupt the music next time though.

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 6 2013, 2:18pm

Post #23 of 23 (353 views)
Shortcut
I'd be more upset for Howard et al if MORE new music of his arrangement had been used. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the new themes, but there was just a little too much re-hashing of old ones. Some of that was good and proper, as this is a part of a larger film series, and there should be score connections, just as there were with Star Wars and Potter. . .but it was heavy handed at points. How about next time, they put start with a little re-used music. . . and let the Lion roar ALL over that, and then when he is done we get 70% never before heard, or only heard in An Unexpected Journey listening.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.