Fili/Kili *spoilers*

billzy2
The Shire

Feb 8 2013, 2:51am

Post #1 of 21 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Fili/Kili *spoilers* Can't Post

snuff it, yes or no?

Do you know if Fili and Kili die at the end of the battle of five armies, has there been any discussion of this? It does seem a terrible fate for the lads but thats the way the book is written or will Sir Peter save the day for the dynamic height challenged duo. Does seem a pity to lose the hot Dwarves but thats showbiz. Any thoughts or info will be appreciated.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Feb 8 2013, 2:58am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 2:59am

Post #2 of 21 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Please avoid spoilers in your subject line. [In reply to] Can't Post

I edited your post to take out the spoiler-y stuff, but in future remember that not everyone has read the book and might not want to know the end of the story.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 8 2013, 3:13am

Post #3 of 21 (1243 views)
Shortcut
Recently someone suggested (spoiler continues) [In reply to] Can't Post

that hotness was given them precisely because Jackson intends to kill them off. Shocked

Not long ago, TORn member ashonmytomatoes posted a link to a heartbreaking image here.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Feb 8 2013, 3:16am)

Súlimë
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 3:33am

Post #4 of 21 (1142 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it will be different from the book [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not long ago, TORn member ashonmytomatoes posted a link to a heartbreaking image here.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww

It's always harder for the survivors...

But, yes, I think they are going to die, in slow-mo, and Thorin is going to watch them die...

And I'm going to be crying...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2013, 3:58am

Post #5 of 21 (1123 views)
Shortcut
And Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

will ask Shore to do a remake of Boromirs death music and insert it in their death scene....In slow-mo, with those looooooong close ups of their faces Jackson is so fond of...

Vous commencez ŕ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 4:24am

Post #6 of 21 (1154 views)
Shortcut
The slo-mo is going to be the problem [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be very slo-mo, slower than Thorin walking down that tree towards Azog. So it will seem like it will go on forever, and I doubt they will go down quickly (with one or two hits). Sheer agony--for us, the audience.

I am not sure that Thorin will watch them die, though. In my imagining of it, Thorin was knocked out, half dead already, and they were protecting him since he was now unable to fight.In the book we don't know if he is aware that they died or not, but here I would guess he could find out about it after and say something regretful to Balin or Bilbo.

However, if he did watch them die, I could see him dragging himself back up and killing whatever killed them (if Tauriel doesn't do it first...).

In Reply To

In Reply To

Awwwwwwwwwwwww

It's always harder for the survivors...

But, yes, I think they are going to die, in slow-mo, and Thorin is going to watch them die...

And I'm going to be crying...

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 4:56am

Post #7 of 21 (1091 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's important that the audience gets emotionally invested in these guys, thus making the ending so much more heartbreaking. So it's no wonder that these three dwarves are getting more screen time. So eventually they'll get more 'scream time', as it were. (Okay, sorry. I had to say that....it just came out.) For myself, I'm looking forward to the last film with both high anticipation and dread, knowing what is to come.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 5:34am

Post #8 of 21 (1118 views)
Shortcut
Well, *I* am not going to *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

watch them die...

I'll be behind my very large box of Kleenex, sniffling and crying... Unsure

But I do think that their deaths are unavoidable. Letting them live would be too much of a departure from the book.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Feb 8 2013, 1:46pm)

Macfeast
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 7:17am

Post #9 of 21 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Would be a pity *spoiers* [In reply to] Can't Post

to lose any dwarf, hot or not.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Feb 8 2013, 1:47pm)

Súlimë
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 7:20am

Post #10 of 21 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It will be very slo-mo, slower than Thorin walking down that tree towards Azog. So it will seem like it will go on forever, and I doubt they will go down quickly (with one or two hits). Sheer agony--for us, the audience.

Like Boromir's slo-mo death, which after all these years is still quite painful to watch. At least Boromir got his last words in. For some reason I doubt Fili and Kili will...

In Reply To
I am not sure that Thorin will watch them die, though. In my imagining of it, Thorin was knocked out, half dead already, and they were protecting him since he was now unable to fight.In the book we don't know if he is aware that they died or not, but here I would guess he could find out about it after and say something regretful to Balin or Bilbo.

No matter which way, when he finds out he will be devastated, and that, I think, is his punishment and redemption -- I think I'm going to find it very hard to watch :(

In Reply To
However, if he did watch them die, I could see him dragging himself back up and killing whatever killed them (if Tauriel doesn't do it first...).

Oh, no, please don't include Tauriel in the death scenes! >_<

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 11:36am

Post #11 of 21 (1005 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

that Thorin probably won't know what happened. In his final words to Bilbo, he seemed completely focused on his own mortality and saying what he felt he had to say to Bilbo. He never mentions his nephews or indicates any agony over the fact that others were going with him. I'm pretty convinced that he never knew that Fili and Kili had also just died.

Súlimë
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 12:28pm

Post #12 of 21 (992 views)
Shortcut
That would be kinder [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
that Thorin probably won't know what happened. In his final words to Bilbo, he seemed completely focused on his own mortality and saying what he felt he had to say to Bilbo. He never mentions his nephews or indicates any agony over the fact that others were going with him. I'm pretty convinced that he never knew that Fili and Kili had also just died.

for Thorin and for the audience...

I'm secretly dreading having to see the look in Thorin's eyes when he sees his nephews die trying to protect him.

Clifton8
The Shire

Feb 8 2013, 1:19pm

Post #13 of 21 (981 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they will [In reply to] Can't Post

Dramatic affect.... PJ will have everyone crying in every theater, for every viewing. Yes, Thorin will see this happen. I am sure that he will be severely injured and on the brink of death, but still conscious enough to see what is happening. It will be tragic, whether they are hot or not, and this event IS important in leading Thorin to his semi-heroic redemption.

I do think that by this time though, after seeing how Thorin will treat Bilbo, many viewers (especially those that have not read the book and are not familiar with Joseph Campbell's heroic journey cycle) will not be able to forgive Thorin.

Ref
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 4:27pm

Post #14 of 21 (975 views)
Shortcut
RE: SirDennisC [In reply to] Can't Post

A beautiful little drawing there. There's one picture over at Deviant Art that always gets me *spoilers in the link and possibly not for the faint hearted*:~

http://browse.deviantart.com/...ive-Armies-345449925

Made by the the brilliant Brilcrist.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 8 2013, 4:52pm

Post #15 of 21 (932 views)
Shortcut
* "Looks away, and swallows hard" * [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the link. That's taking it to an whole other level. ouch

You know I kind of hope Jackson goes that far... warriors are meant to die, but as Sulime said, it is hard on the survivors... Jackson should do whatever it takes to help us feel it.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 5:13pm

Post #16 of 21 (908 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

That was me. And it would be the biggest betrayal in the history of movies if FIli, Kili and Thorin don't suffer the same fate in the movie as they do in the book.

On the bright side, tissue sales will increase dramatically.

Marionette
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 6:28pm

Post #17 of 21 (908 views)
Shortcut
Agree *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

I did think the same with the casting of these actors and Richard Armitage: They made the three death ones the three hotter ones.

Excluding the hottness thing, I have no doubts they will change the book in this... they must change the book. It might end as the book ends, the three must die.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 8 2013, 9:28pm

Post #18 of 21 (870 views)
Shortcut
"We may be few in number... [In reply to] Can't Post

"but we're fighters, all of us, to the last dwarf!". In all the general banter and bravado around Bilbo's table at Bag End, I feel the script writers very deliberately gave this line to Fili. It was high spirits then, but I think it'll be remembered and restated, heroically and in grim ernest, by the brothers at the Bot5A.

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Feb 8 2013, 11:06pm

Post #19 of 21 (859 views)
Shortcut
Its gonna be hard to watch [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking, what if one of the brothers got killed pretty much instantly? Whilst the other is treated to a slower death. It could possibly add a even greater "shock" value to the scene perhaps. Say if Kili dies first, then dying Fili drags himself to be with his brother for one last time. In all honesty though, I think I'd prefer they both to go in a similar way to Boromir, after all those years its still got to be one of the the saddest deaths in cinema history. Seeing two young brothers who we've all enjoyed over the course of the trilogy go this way has the potential to be even sadder than Boromir's demise.

Also shouldn't Thorin know that Fili and Kili are dead? He might wonder where the new King of Under the Mountain is.

Good gravy never seen fan art that poignant. Frown

Yes, my username is terrible.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2013, 11:20am

Post #20 of 21 (789 views)
Shortcut
Agonizing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think Thorin will see them die, though, which will be much harder for us to watch than if he didn't. PJ's not going to go light on the emotions here. Seeing them die, I think, will play a large part in his redemption; he's finally going to come to his senses and realize that all the gold in Erebor can't bring back what is in fact most important to him: the ones he loves. Wouldn't that make a good ending to his character arc? Okay, Thorin doesn't wear his love for his nephews on his sleeve, but it's so clearly there, and we'll see more of it to come. Of course, for us, it's that love he has for them that makes it so hard on us watching him watch them die, as if them dying wasn't hard enough on us just on its own!

marillaraina
Rohan

Feb 10 2013, 11:25am

Post #21 of 21 (813 views)
Shortcut
My biggest fear... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That was me. And it would be the biggest betrayal in the history of movies if FIli, Kili and Thorin don't suffer the same fate in the movie as they do in the book.

On the bright side, tissue sales will increase dramatically.

Is that somehow Jackson will screw their death's up. He'll change the circumstances somehow, split them up to different parts of the battlefield, not have them die protecting Thorin, SOMETHING.

I dread it, but I want my heart to be broken when the the brothers' die PROTECTING their ALREADY mortally wounded uncle. I want them to die together.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.