The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rumblings of The Hobbit Blu-ray

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 27 2013, 3:20pm

Post #1 of 23 (1330 views)
Shortcut
Rumblings of The Hobbit Blu-ray Can't Post

I was talking to a friend about The Hobbit yesterday and he said that the DVD extra features had been announced. He also said that the Blu-ray will be a "director's cut" including a few extra clips and the Extended Edition would be coming out in October?

I Googled to find info, checking here first of course, and could only find this: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/...wo-cents/012113_1230

So I'm wondering, what do we actually know about the DVD so far?

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jan 27 2013, 3:23pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 3:28pm

Post #2 of 23 (782 views)
Shortcut
Think he's got it wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

From that French promotional pic, all that's confirmed for the theatrical Blu are the 10 production diaries and what appears to be the 14-minute preview thing that was released beforehand. I suspect we won't get previews of the EE or DOS, since it's still too early.

brucewayne
Bree

Jan 27 2013, 3:54pm

Post #3 of 23 (726 views)
Shortcut
Will the [In reply to] Can't Post

Will the production diaries be in the EE? I sure hope so

When will they announce and solicit the EE?

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 27 2013, 4:42pm

Post #4 of 23 (679 views)
Shortcut
Think of the LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

We always got a preview of the EE in every DVD of the LotR-trilogy. I don't see why this wouldn't be the case with The Hobbit. I'm pretty sure that a trailer of the following film was included in every DVD, as well. March is a pretty good time to release the first trailer anyway, so I'll be quite surprised if there wouldn't be one with the theatrical cut DVDS and/or Blu-rays.

Arandir
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 4:50pm

Post #5 of 23 (657 views)
Shortcut
I'd love a DOS trailer in March but ... [In reply to] Can't Post

didn't PJ mention we would get a DOS trailer mid-year? Unless, in the DVDs, we get a very short teaser that's half of it "fade to blacks" and the logo at the endCrazy

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 4:51pm

Post #6 of 23 (654 views)
Shortcut
No ROTK EE preview on DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

We have to wait for SDCC for that. And The Hobbit TC will come out even sooner.

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 27 2013, 5:20pm

Post #7 of 23 (609 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

I could swear first seeing the RotK trailer on the TT DVD. It's possible, I suppose, that it came out later in my neck of woods due to the localisation, and thus managed to get the extra content.

didn't PJ mention we would get a DOS trailer mid-year?

Where? And would he mean a full-scale trailer or the first teaser?

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 5:23pm

Post #8 of 23 (603 views)
Shortcut
You did see a ROTK trailer on TTT DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm saying that there was no preview for the Extended Edition of ROTK on the ROTK Theatrical Cut DVD.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2013, 5:26pm

Post #9 of 23 (590 views)
Shortcut
There was a ROTK trailer on the TTT DVD? [In reply to] Can't Post

I could have sworn the first and only ROTK trailer came out in september.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 5:35pm

Post #10 of 23 (587 views)
Shortcut
Well a ROTK preview.. [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, the approx. 10-minute one with behind the scenes footage, cast and crew talking, etc. Most of the finished footage was usually shown at the beginning and end.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 27 2013, 5:44pm

Post #11 of 23 (628 views)
Shortcut
Comic-Con [In reply to] Can't Post

I would venture to guess the EE will go up for order at say Comic-Con time with cover art and all that shown then. Might even happen during the DoS panel that I'm sure will happen.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2013, 5:45pm

Post #12 of 23 (615 views)
Shortcut
Here's the RotK preview from the TT dvd [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVrB9P3HTFc

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2013, 5:47pm

Post #13 of 23 (581 views)
Shortcut
I doubt we'll get a EE preview. [In reply to] Can't Post

The reason we probably got them on the FotR and TT dvd's was because they were released in August. It might be too early this time, like it was for RotK.

Arandir
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 5:53pm

Post #14 of 23 (580 views)
Shortcut
Here's the source you ask for [In reply to] Can't Post

Where? And would he mean a full-scale trailer or the first teaser?

http://www.vulture.com/...y-in-the-hobbit.html

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 27 2013, 6:03pm

Post #15 of 23 (587 views)
Shortcut
The schedule in general is faster this time round. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The reason we probably got them on the FotR and TT dvd's was because they were released in August. It might be too early this time, like it was for RotK.

But it was mentioned in an interview (I think it was Ian McKellen) that Peter Jackson already has the extended cut of AUJ pretty much ready. If that is the case, then there would be no point not putting in a teaser for the EE. The EE may also come out a bit earlier than the LotR EEs did, so that one can come out in the shorter space between the DoS and TaBA.

In Reply To

OK, I think that refers to a full trailer, and that a short teaser is more likely to come out earlier. Didn't the full trailer of AUJ also come out in the summer?

Arandir
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 6:23pm

Post #16 of 23 (573 views)
Shortcut
September [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, I think that refers to a full trailer, and that a short teaser is more likely to come out earlier. Didn't the full trailer of AUJ also come out in the summer?

That's when the 2nd official trailer came out.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2013, 6:29pm

Post #17 of 23 (541 views)
Shortcut
My memory is not what it used to be. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 27 2013, 6:35pm

Post #18 of 23 (548 views)
Shortcut
Ah, the Witchking without his helm [In reply to] Can't Post

Been a long time since I've seen that.

sycorax82
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 7:34pm

Post #19 of 23 (501 views)
Shortcut
I never realised they used so many of the best ROTK moments in that trailer! [In reply to] Can't Post

However, Gandalf vs. the Witch-King will always be disappointing...*sigh*

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 12:06am

Post #20 of 23 (432 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
However, Gandalf vs. the Witch-King will always be disappointing...*sigh*

For me the most disappointing thing in the entire trilogy was Gandalf vs. the Witch-King, BOTH versions.

How the heck could they screw that up? Why change it? It was written so almost cinematically in the book as it was, why make those ridiculous changes that cut ALL the power out of the scene? I was SO disappointed in how it was done, it wasn't even that it didn't match the book, I can live with that if the change is at least well done, but it was that it wasn't even all that good in and of itself, it was just badly done, imo.

It's the one thing that makes me worry about the end of The Hobbit trilogy, I'm afraid he's going to screw up how Kili and Fili die and how Thorin is in there too, I figure he'll leave Thorin's end pretty much intact, with Bilbo, but I just am so afraid that he'll take the fact that there was only one sentence describing what happened to them as a reason to completely change the scenario, instead of expanding upon it in the natural, organic way it ought to be expanded upon(IMO).

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2013, 3:29am

Post #21 of 23 (393 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

did PJ ever give his reason for altering the witch-king confrontation in ROTK??

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

Vangalad
Lorien

Jan 28 2013, 12:46pm

Post #22 of 23 (333 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps he didn't like it either [In reply to] Can't Post

otherwise you can't leave such an iconic scene out of the theatrical cut...

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

(This post was edited by Vangalad on Jan 28 2013, 12:53pm)

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 1:40pm

Post #23 of 23 (362 views)
Shortcut
I'm not really sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

...how much he could "mess it up" considering we get one off-hand sentence concerning their deaths. It's so poorly written in the book that the reader doesn't even care that they died, other than a quick "who were they again?". Anything Jackson does for those characters in their final moments to elicit some emotion in that scene will be a marked improvement upon the text.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.