Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
hobbit in retrospect

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jan 13 2013, 5:41pm

Views: 2051
Shortcut
hobbit in retrospect Can't Post

I must admit after watching pans labyrinth last night, a great fantasy film, i cant help thinking weve been a little short changed with these films. I do love watching them and some of the visuals are spot on, for the most part, but what we have is basically a run of the mill adventure film.

the hobbit could have been one of the best fantasy films ever made. a simple story, with weight and some great scenes. but i think what we have so far, is really convoluted story about councils,necromancers and dwarven history (thats all wrong) that really isnt part of the book.

its a film made for fans of the lotr films.

i do love the film and some of the visuals are great but theres just too much twisted that takes it away from the essence of reading that book for the first time and being transported.

when i think of the hobbit , i imagine strange little bearded dwarves , hobbits that live in holes and can suddenly hide from strangers a subversive land of fantasy and adventure. instead ithink were in danger of just making a typical hollywood film.

when i think of good fantasy i think of dark crystal,pans labyrinth edward scissor hands, Godzilla,never ending story,brazil, midsummer's nights dream!(ok not a film) gibli, gilliam etc etc they all have a darkness and otherness that i cant explain. its a shame the hobbit is so glossy and hollywood.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Subject User Time
hobbit in retrospect jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 13 2013, 5:41pm
    They never stated that they adapted just the book, painjoiker Send a private message to painjoiker Jan 13 2013, 5:47pm
        The film is no more faithful to the LOTR appendices than it is to THE HOBBIT. // N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jan 13 2013, 6:17pm
            Actually, it is MUCH more faithful to The Hobbit than it is to The Appendices. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 13 2013, 10:52pm
                That's what I said. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jan 14 2013, 4:07am
    Sounds like you want a live-action of the Rankin-Bass animated version. morgul lord Send a private message to morgul lord Jan 13 2013, 5:59pm
        there were no bunny sleds in bakshi ;) jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 13 2013, 6:10pm
            If you go in expecting the book Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Jan 13 2013, 6:31pm
                whip crack jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 13 2013, 6:44pm
                    yes, I realize Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Jan 13 2013, 6:59pm
                        I understand....and agree.. MasterOrc Send a private message to MasterOrc Jan 13 2013, 7:10pm
                            im happy alot actually jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 13 2013, 7:25pm
                                And that's why... MasterOrc Send a private message to MasterOrc Jan 13 2013, 7:32pm
                                    yes so dont knock 'those people' for having one! jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 13 2013, 7:49pm
                                        People are giving the book too much credit. Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jan 13 2013, 7:59pm
                                            Yeah, it's only the second-best children's book ever. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jan 13 2013, 8:12pm
                                            huh jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 13 2013, 8:19pm
                                                Have patience my love peace1993 Send a private message to peace1993 Jan 13 2013, 8:32pm
                                                    true jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 13 2013, 8:41pm
                                                Yeah, i know i wouldn't meet many like-minded people here.... Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jan 13 2013, 8:35pm
                                                    Welcome to NARF-hood! / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jan 13 2013, 8:41pm
                                                    You have me Pimmiko Send a private message to Pimmiko Jan 14 2013, 5:44pm
                                        I couldn't agree more, Jimmy Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Jan 13 2013, 8:54pm
                                            To be fair... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 13 2013, 9:19pm
                                        I guess after... MasterOrc Send a private message to MasterOrc Jan 13 2013, 9:08pm
                                I think you missed the point Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Jan 13 2013, 7:41pm
                                    I don't think that is unfair at all. Even though I think much of The Hobbit stays AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 13 2013, 11:05pm
                                I agree Jimmy tolktolk Send a private message to tolktolk Jan 13 2013, 8:10pm
                                    You can't say what's relavant... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 14 2013, 4:52am
                Great Expectations Christine Golden Send a private message to Christine Golden Jan 14 2013, 11:26pm
                    great filmmaking, great adaptation unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Jan 14 2013, 11:58pm
                    Motivation and Half full/Half empty Michelle Johnston Jan 15 2013, 9:15pm
        spot on.....in today's... MasterOrc Send a private message to MasterOrc Jan 13 2013, 6:56pm
            Life of Pi? burrahobbit Send a private message to burrahobbit Jan 13 2013, 7:15pm
                Life of PI.....is MasterOrc Send a private message to MasterOrc Jan 13 2013, 7:21pm
        AUJ is a much "simpler" film than Pan's Labyrinth burrahobbit Send a private message to burrahobbit Jan 13 2013, 7:23pm
    We don't know what Guillermo del Toro would have made of it. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jan 13 2013, 6:21pm
        Ah, I didn't know he did (post) // Yva Send a private message to Yva Jan 13 2013, 6:46pm
    Basically, it was impossible to film The Hobbit... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 13 2013, 8:38pm
        It was far from impossible burrahobbit Send a private message to burrahobbit Jan 13 2013, 8:50pm
            It would have been impossible... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 13 2013, 9:57pm
                It wouldn't have made as much money... burrahobbit Send a private message to burrahobbit Jan 13 2013, 10:16pm
                    Your opinion. The Animated is not poor for what it is. As an animated children's AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 13 2013, 11:19pm
            Most of those charges have also been excessive, and aimed at some of the material most true to the book,. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 13 2013, 11:15pm
                I don't see... burrahobbit Send a private message to burrahobbit Jan 14 2013, 12:16am
                    I didn't say conspiracy. That requires intentional collusion. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 14 2013, 2:32am
        You've got it wrong. carrioncrow Send a private message to carrioncrow Jan 15 2013, 1:36am
            You have every right to not like the movie... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 15 2013, 2:17am
                THe best sequence of the movie carrioncrow Send a private message to carrioncrow Jan 15 2013, 12:16pm
                    Things that wouldn't work... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 15 2013, 1:26pm
                        Very nice post, but one question Rolfina Send a private message to Rolfina Jan 15 2013, 1:33pm
                            2005 movie... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 15 2013, 1:40pm
                                Phew, glad I can agree with you then. Rolfina Send a private message to Rolfina Jan 15 2013, 2:18pm
    To be fair, I found a LOT of what you speak of in this movie. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 13 2013, 10:13pm
    It is not pure fantasy anyway for me mefansmum Jan 14 2013, 6:21am
        Some Magnification Michelle Johnston Jan 14 2013, 10:17am
            in reply jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Jan 14 2013, 3:09pm
    could not disagree with you more Lindele Send a private message to Lindele Jan 14 2013, 12:23pm
    I agree. Without elaborating further, I would describe the film as being too conventional. Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Jan 14 2013, 3:02pm
    This seems to be a generational discussion Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 14 2013, 6:24pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.