The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Balin's tomb

nothinglikethesun9
The Shire

Jan 8 2013, 4:00pm

Post #1 of 23 (1110 views)
Shortcut
Balin's tomb Can't Post

In the Moria scenes, is Balin in the tomb, or is that his skeleton filled with arrows and holding the book?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 8 2013, 4:05pm

Post #2 of 23 (809 views)
Shortcut
Balin is in the tomb [In reply to] Can't Post

And Ori is the skeleton holding the book.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 5:04pm

Post #3 of 23 (791 views)
Shortcut
Ori [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't Ori the dwarf in The Hobbit movie that people seem to dislike the most? If so, was he killed by orcs, or movie fans? Smile

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 8 2013, 5:40pm

Post #4 of 23 (741 views)
Shortcut
really? [In reply to] Can't Post

is there any way we can tell this ?

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 8 2013, 5:45pm

Post #5 of 23 (718 views)
Shortcut
Not officially [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no label saying that it is Ori, but in the book Gandalf reads aloud The Book of Mazarbul, and the last moments of Ori. In the films, a Dwarf is clasping the book, so we can assume that it is Ori.

Also, look at the noses! They're identical.

TH Ori
Dead dwarf
Tongue

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 8 2013, 6:05pm

Post #6 of 23 (710 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Ori, in the FOTR book, that wrote de last pages of the Mazarbul book, and in the movie it is obvious that this Dwarf keeping held the book was who wrote the last pages, so assuming this is Ori makes a lot a sense.

Great observation, thank you for sharing.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 6:07pm

Post #7 of 23 (750 views)
Shortcut
Yep, see screencap [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR will be reedited to create better continuity with The Hobbit. Tongue

PS - not my own work. I think maybe dormouse posted it first...

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 8 2013, 7:53pm

Post #8 of 23 (689 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

Adam Brown - who plays Ori in The Hobbit - jokingly tweeted that he was "on TV" on Christmas Day when Fellowship of the Ring was on UK TV, and with that tweet uploaded a photo of the tomb scene in which the skeleton with the book can be seen. So it seems safe to assume that the dead dwarf there is officially Ori Smile

Then Manwë and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulë; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulë, and he went on with his smith-work.

(This post was edited by FlyingSerkis on Jan 8 2013, 7:56pm)

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jan 8 2013, 7:55pm

Post #9 of 23 (709 views)
Shortcut
wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, that'd make it official!

awesome, thanks!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2013, 10:44pm

Post #10 of 23 (697 views)
Shortcut
Awwww.... [In reply to] Can't Post

*sadface*

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 9 2013, 12:02am

Post #11 of 23 (716 views)
Shortcut
Ori fan club [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Isn't Ori the dwarf in The Hobbit movie that people seem to dislike the most? If so, was he killed by orcs, or movie fans? Smile

*raises hand* Ori fan here. And there are a few of us in this place, so be careful how you speak. Tongue

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 9 2013, 1:25am

Post #12 of 23 (694 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like him. Why do people hate him the most? Is it because of his hipster-ish outfit?

imin
Valinor

Jan 9 2013, 2:25am

Post #13 of 23 (733 views)
Shortcut
Comes across as a bit pathetic to me [In reply to] Can't Post

Also he just clearly isnt a dwarf, lol. He also had two bad lines of dialogue that made me want to hit him.

Some like him though and the ones that do seem to love him.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 9 2013, 8:22am

Post #14 of 23 (778 views)
Shortcut
It does make you wonder ... [In reply to] Can't Post

How he survived until they went to Moria. Wink

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 10 2013, 1:33am

Post #15 of 23 (580 views)
Shortcut
Protection [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How he survived until they went to Moria. Wink

He had big brother Dori looking out for him. Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 10 2013, 10:18am

Post #16 of 23 (554 views)
Shortcut
I love this / [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 11 2013, 9:04pm

Post #17 of 23 (544 views)
Shortcut
Already great book moment [In reply to] Can't Post

Becomes also a great movie moment when you watch all six films together knowing Ori and Balin as characters and then seeing them dead. I hope to get the same feeling as I do when I read the books.

Êleniel Tindome
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 10:33pm

Post #18 of 23 (557 views)
Shortcut
agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 12 2013, 9:04pm

Post #19 of 23 (491 views)
Shortcut
My guess is he'll have a 'growing up' moment or two in TH films [In reply to] Can't Post

thus bridging the gap we perceive now between TH-Ori and LOTR-Ori. If so, it'll add a lot of depth to his character, more so than if he had been an obvious choice for the retaking of Moria right from the beginning of TH.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 10:24pm

Post #20 of 23 (464 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he may be in the "Pippin" character arc category. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 10:51pm

Post #21 of 23 (486 views)
Shortcut
I did [In reply to] Can't Post

I read through that part of the book and it seemed to mean more than it did before.

"There were many recesses cut in the rock of the walls, and in them were large iron-bound chest of wood. All had been broken and plundered: but beside the shattered lid of one there lay the remains of a book. It had been slashed and stabbed and partly burned, and it was stained with black and other dark marks like old blood that little of it could be read."

Makes you wonder if it's Ori's blood that stains the book. In the novel, it was put into one of the recesses, so it seems that Ori tried to hide it before he died. In the movie, he was holding it when he died, but there are blood spots in the book, likely his. Poor Ori! How horrifying to know that you're going to die shortly.

And I agree with the others, that he probably grows up a bit in The Hobbit. Don't forget, he's basically "a kid" compared to the others, so he says and does some stupid things just like any kid in the company of adults. And there's about a 30 year gap between the end of Hobbit and the retaking of Moria(if I understand the time line correctly). So there's time for him to grow older and mature a bit.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 13 2013, 12:30am

Post #22 of 23 (535 views)
Shortcut
Fear of death [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I expect for myself.

I'm sure he was scared and tried to find a place to hide. Nobody would blame him at all for doing so. As far as his blood being on the book I'd imagine it was or it makes the most sense to me. It would scare me to death to know my death was just waiting outside a door. So like I said I don't blame him for trying to hide.

I'd expect that he would grow up some. He's a little annoying in The Hobbit but that's a lot of time to be more adultish.

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 13 2013, 1:07pm

Post #23 of 23 (495 views)
Shortcut
That doesn't really bother me [In reply to] Can't Post

because I don't expect all dwarves to be the same. Some are going to be more pathetic (or childish or whatever) and they are not all going to look like big tough beardy guys - just like how humans come in all shapes and sizes.

It gives a great opportunity for him to mature and learn important lessons about life and death in the next two movies. In the book, the only dwarf character who has any meaningful development is Thorin, and maybe Balin, so I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the other characters change and grow - even if it's from the imagination of PJ, Phillipa and Fran.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.