The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS Extended Edition

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 4:53am

Post #1 of 14 (1002 views)
Shortcut
DOS Extended Edition Can't Post

So since TABA is coming out only six months after DOS, does that mean we will get the DOS extended edition AFTER TABA has been released theatrically? That kinda sucks, since with the LOTR movies some scenes in the extended editions set up stuff for the following movie(s).

Junesong
Rohan

Jan 6 2013, 5:24am

Post #2 of 14 (653 views)
Shortcut
Mark My Words [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that if DOS is a hit - which I'm pretty sure it will be since it will be even more action (and dragon) packed then AUJ - WB will move the TABA release date back to December.

I think (and have always thought) that the July release date for TABA was partially to soften the blow of the trilogy announcement. It sent a message that the films would be expanded but not drawn out over too long. But I wouldn't be surprised if Middle Earth stays in December where it belongs.

Only issue is with PJ's other commitments (Tin Tin etc) but I won't be surprised at all if we hear the last movie is pushed back to December.

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer... Shakespeare."

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 6 2013, 10:04am

Post #3 of 14 (762 views)
Shortcut
TABA December release... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is one I'd actually prefer. Give them more time to get it done, especially with them working on the DOS EE simultaneously.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 10:24am

Post #4 of 14 (463 views)
Shortcut
But you get TABA 6 months later [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not a problem if the EE is delayed, because we're still getting our Middle-earth hit. Tongue

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2013, 12:01pm

Post #5 of 14 (407 views)
Shortcut
Yes, we'll still get our Tolkien fix... [In reply to] Can't Post

but the point the OP was making is that if the Hobbit EEs follow the same pattern as the LotR ones, some scenes in the extended editions set up stuff for the next movie, (e.g., the gift giving in Lothlorien in the FotR EE,) therefore it would be more enjoyable for us to see the DoS EE before seeing TABA should that be the case.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 12:17pm

Post #6 of 14 (373 views)
Shortcut
There are only a few instances though [In reply to] Can't Post

Where an EE scene in one film, sets up a scene in the following TE film. The gift giving scene (and Sam's rope) is the best example. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else.

Crazy

Usually it's the other way round. There's either a TE scene that sets up an EE scene (i.e. Pippin finding the palantir, Aragorn using palantir), or an EE scene that sets up an EE scene in a later film (the gift giving scene being the best example again).

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 6 2013, 5:14pm

Post #7 of 14 (272 views)
Shortcut
Now I'm depressed [In reply to] Can't Post

I can barely stand the fact that I will have to wait for the AUJ home release once AUJ is out of theaters (being too afraid of viruses to download the Academy screener to my computer). This will take forever. Of course, then I will be upset once it's over and have nothing to look forward to. Can't win.

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 6 2013, 5:19pm

Post #8 of 14 (269 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

... aren't July releases (as a general rule) bigger than christmas releases? If that is true maybe the WB wants to have THE summer blockbuster in 2014...

I guess the EEs and cutting are not really the issue since DoS seems to be pretty far already and PJ might be able to finish a rough cut of TABA around next christmas.

Rane
Bree

Jan 6 2013, 5:37pm

Post #9 of 14 (250 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

flameofudun
Lorien

Jan 7 2013, 3:28am

Post #10 of 14 (178 views)
Shortcut
And the Two Towers flashback with boromir giving his speech after second battle of osgilliath. [In reply to] Can't Post

It does show boromir leaving and why, but I guess your right because it does show after, so never mind, but still.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 7 2013, 3:33am

Post #11 of 14 (174 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... aren't July releases (as a general rule) bigger than christmas releases? If that is true maybe the WB wants to have THE summer blockbuster in 2014...

I guess the EEs and cutting are not really the issue since DoS seems to be pretty far already and PJ might be able to finish a rough cut of TABA around next christmas.

Big movie in July. Then, just in time for Christmas, the EE Box Set for the series.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2013, 9:08am

Post #12 of 14 (159 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but the benefit is that it introduced us to Denethor before RotK... [In reply to] Can't Post

setting up his relationship with his two sons.

In Reply To

It does show boromir leaving and why, but I guess your right because it does show after, so never mind, but still.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Grant
The Shire

Jan 8 2013, 4:16am

Post #13 of 14 (134 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

They could end up releasing the theatrical DVD/blu ray in late March or mid April and the EE in early June. The theatrical to home video window is rapidly shrinking. Skyfall is coming out on blu ray next month.

I could see them pushing There and Back Again to December if the summer competition is too heavy next year.

flameofudun
Lorien

Jan 9 2013, 12:08am

Post #14 of 14 (113 views)
Shortcut
Never thought of that [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point!

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.