Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which format did you first see AUJ in and how do you feel about 48 FPS?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which format did you first see AUJ in and how do you feel about 48 FPS?
I love the look of 48 FPS and I first saw The Hobbit in this format.
I love the look of 48 FPS and I first saw The Hobbit in 3D 24 fps.
I love the look of 48 FPS and I first saw The Hobbit in 2D.
I have mixed feelings on the look of 48 FRPS and I first saw The Hobbit in this format.
I have mixed feeliings on the look of 48 FPS and I first saw The Hobbit in 3D 24 fps.
I have mixed feelings on the look of 48 FPS and I first saw The Hobbit in 2D.
I hate the look of 48 FPS and I first saw The Hobbit in this format.
I hate the look of 48 FPS and I first saw The Hobbit in 3D 24 fps.
I hate the look of 48 FPS and I first saw The Hobbit in 2D.
View Results (89 votes)

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 28 2012, 7:15pm

Post #1 of 44 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Which format did you first see AUJ in and how do you feel about 48 FPS? Can't Post

I am curious about how people's feelings about the look of 48 FPS correlates to the format they first saw The Hobbit in.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 28 2012, 7:36pm

Post #2 of 44 (948 views)
Shortcut
Will get back to you [In reply to] Can't Post

once I have seen HFR!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 28 2012, 8:23pm

Post #3 of 44 (940 views)
Shortcut
I have no feelings about the look of 48 FPS yet [In reply to] Can't Post

and I saw AUJ in 24 FPS in 3D. I'll get back to you after I've actually experienced 48 FPS.

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 28 2012, 9:02pm

Post #4 of 44 (959 views)
Shortcut
First saw in 2D [In reply to] Can't Post

And I voted I have mixed feeling abouts 48 FPS, although a more accurate choice for me would have been "no feelings at all about 48 FPS". I've seen the movie 3 times now in 48 FPS in two different cinemas and I'm still failing to see any difference.

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 28 2012, 9:41pm

Post #5 of 44 (937 views)
Shortcut
Amazing. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, the difference between 24 fps and 48 fps, based on one viewing of The Hobbit, is greater than the difference between 2D and 3D or b&w and color. It seems obvious that different people are seeing things very differently, though.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 29 2012, 1:18am

Post #6 of 44 (989 views)
Shortcut
Mixed feelings [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the movie in 24 FPS (in 3D) first because I didn't want to be too distracted by the new tech. Turns out that was a good idea. I saw it in 48 FPS the second time and didn't really like it. Without a motion blur, fast movements looked very odd and I found them hard to follow, almost as if the movie was on fast forward. I could barely focus on anything during the Dale prologue. My eyes eventually adjusted and I didn't really notice a difference for most of the film after that.

I'd have to see a side by side comparison to really judge if the picture's improved. But I guess I have mixed feelings about 48 FPS.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 5:38am

Post #7 of 44 (932 views)
Shortcut
Zero interest in 48 FPS or 3D. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw TH in 2D, and liked it fine, except the shots that were obviously framed to exploit 3D were mildly intrusive and annoying.

I saw 3D movies in the 50's, and hated it, and have seen 3D TVs in stores, and really don't like the look of 3D at all regardless of frame speed.

You didn't have an option for that, so I reported "mixed".

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 10:01am

Post #8 of 44 (899 views)
Shortcut
I started off "hating" HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

But after seeing it in several format, I went for mixed feelings.

I know the poll has only been open for less than a day, but I'm surprised by the lack of "love it" votes. The majority of people that post on the Hobbit board seem to like it.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 29 2012, 10:12am

Post #9 of 44 (963 views)
Shortcut
A lot of people [In reply to] Can't Post

especially newbies, don't tend to check in here, or on most of the other boards. They land on Hobbit and there they stay.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 4:42pm

Post #10 of 44 (904 views)
Shortcut
what she said [In reply to] Can't Post

I sometimes feel that Hobbit regulars think moving out of that forum is akin to going to visit their old aunt in the nursing home.

I don't think we're all that bad! And those that have ventured out seem to quite enjoy the other boards. At least enough to visit us every other Sunday.

Maybe if they knew we served treats on Friday...

:-p

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 4:47pm

Post #11 of 44 (891 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say I 'loved' HFR... [In reply to] Can't Post

but 'mixed' is not accurate either so I voted 'loved'.

As I said in my review (Off Topic, Monday Movie thread), I thought the HFR helped me make visual sense of the movie more easily. I think 3D does the same and since I saw it first in 2D, it's hard to know how much 3D contributed to this end rather than HFR. But I think there are advantages (for me) in HFR and I think, over time, it will become the default for films. And I can accept that.

If I had a choice (budget wise), I would watch all films in 3D and HFR when offered. Since I don't have that choice, I will continue to use it as an occasional treat.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 5:45pm

Post #12 of 44 (893 views)
Shortcut
I saw it in 24 first, went back & saw in 48 [In reply to] Can't Post

and liked it better in HFR. Still couldn't really tell what was going on in the fight scenes (way too fast & busy) but at least they weren't blurry, and Peter's trademark "swoop down into the depths" shots worked better. So did the shots of the Eagles.

That said, I'm not sure that 3D added anything to the movie. I'll probably be content with owning a 2D version. The only movie I've seen so far that 3D really made a difference in is "Avatar" - it's the only one where the background was in focus too, so that you could look from foreground to background like you would in real life.

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 29 2012, 5:48pm)

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 29 2012, 7:02pm

Post #13 of 44 (877 views)
Shortcut
I probably used the wrong terms in the poll... [In reply to] Can't Post

I mostly seem to be learning that everyone has mixed feelings on the format!

I think, perhaps, that I should have used "like" and "dislike" instead of "love" and "hate".

I truly have mixed feelings in that I loved the clarity and depth of field, but found it hard to take everything in due to visual overload and things did look "wrong" or "fake". It was like watching a play for me, which isn't a bad thing. I'd pay some serious cash to see a play with these actors. I expect and hope that I'll feel differently on subsequent viewings, but for right now, the pro is that I get to see great acting in a very intimate format while the con is that the effects don't look as convincing.

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 29 2012, 7:08pm

Post #14 of 44 (907 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the 3D HFR Hobbit to be the best depth I've ever seen in a film. Avatar had taken that spot before, but in Avatar, I felt I had to look in the center of the screen where the director wanted me to, as other things were kind of out-of-focus. With The Hobbit in 3D HFR, I felt I could look around the screen wherever I wished, at whatever depth I wished, and it was still clear. It seemed like easily the most smooth and nuanced depth I've seen in a 3D film. Amazing how much this varies from individual to individual.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Cameron can do with Avatar 2 at 60 fps. I just hope and pray he can write a story and script good enough that I'll be able to enjoy the visuals. Although he seems adept at churning out a decent but not spectacular story, sequels are always harder.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 8:33pm

Post #15 of 44 (879 views)
Shortcut
my experience with Avatar was interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I will admit Cameron isn't the best storyteller/writer. He does well enough to get my attention but not so skillfully that I want to praise his storytelling.

But Avatar tapped into a lot of things I'm keenly interested in - both in terms of ideology and visuals. And I love well done 3D (cue the old Viewmaster toy as a kid story) so it was like a perfect storm for me. I really, really liked Avatar.

Now, seeing Avatar in 2D (which I did two out of the three times I saw it at the theater), I still enjoyed it very much... but the high flash of 'magic' wasn't there. The one that evokes a childlike wonder and awe at something that captivates me.

I also watched it again on DVD and still liked it quite alot. Not as much as in the theaters but the story and the music still do it for me (although liking Horner is easier the less one listens to his other scores. I watched some other movie he scored recently and was disappointed by how much the score to that sounded like the score to Avatar. It was easier to like Avatar when it sounded 'fresh')

Then I caught parts of it on a small screen tv in a motel and was struck by how much the whole movie looked like a cartoon. Like a well done Saturday morning cartoon. I don't mean the story was any worse for me. But all the magic of the movie had been sucked clean out of it. When I watched Avatar on the big screen, I *believed* the Na'vi were real. I mean, intellectually I know they aren't. But conceptually, I completely bought into them as actual, real beings. On the small screen, that wasn't happening.

But that doesn't diminish the movie in my eyes. It just tells me how much I value magic in my life. We all find magic in different things. One way I find it is in 3D and/or holographic images (I also collect lenticular items). I love glow in the dark, as well. I loved them as a kid and I didn't let or make myself grow out of that as I aged.

It also kind of explains, I think, some criticisms I read from fans about some movies. Those of us who saw the LOTR movies on the big screen, many of us multiple times, saw those images in their intended display. We then might have watched them on DVD with, perhaps, good tv set ups.

But now we have multitudes of people watching them for the first time and maybe the only time on commercial tv networks. Maybe they're cropped. Maybe their cut for time. They surely have interruptions for commercials.

It would take a powerful story/movie to maintain any 'magic' with that working against it. I love the movie Chocolat. (Depp and Binoche) It was on commercial tv on day as I worked on the computer and so I watched it. I was appalled at how badly it was cut. There was no magic and nothing that would have made me sigh with pleasure or recommend it to a friend.

So when one of the LOTR movies plays on TNT and we get an upsurge in troll posts at imdb, I kind of almost understand why. Someone watched the movie for the first time in this handicapped format and, after hearing what a fantastic movie it was from everyone in the world, wondered 'hun? why the love for *that*?'

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 8:38pm

Post #16 of 44 (898 views)
Shortcut
James Horner [In reply to] Can't Post

I watch The Amazing Spider-Man yesterday and was repeatedly reminded of the music from Titanic. I thought it was an odd coincidence until I saw that James Horner had scored them both. It was actually really disappointing to know that he just repeated a lot of the stuff he'd used before.

It's sad to hear that he's done that with more than just these two films.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 9:53pm

Post #17 of 44 (866 views)
Shortcut
I think Zimmer has the same problem [In reply to] Can't Post

And although Shore has a wide range in the style of music he composes for movies, I can hear hints of LOTR scores in other of his scores.

I don't know if they don't see it as rehashing but instead, maybe a 'signature' sound. Or if they aren't aware they're doing it. Or if the director tells them outright: make it sound like Pirates of the Caribbean. I think, sometimes, directors are happy to hear music that sounds like other music attached to hot movies.

We can often date movies just by the sound of their score and this love of bombastic, epic music will date many of these movies as well.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 10:12pm

Post #18 of 44 (864 views)
Shortcut
Epic and bombastic [In reply to] Can't Post

will definitely define our era of music.

You bring up an interesting point about signature sounds, but to me, I'd rather not be drawn out of a movie because of how similar it is to another.

I think part of the problem is that Horner and Zimmerman seem to be the two most common composers at the moment. John Williams is another. While I like them all, I do think that some new blood would be nice.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 10:59pm

Post #19 of 44 (873 views)
Shortcut
they certainly are well used for a certain type of film. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 12:19am

Post #20 of 44 (856 views)
Shortcut
Somewhat unique perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

My family doesn't go to the movie theater so I never saw any films on the big screen growing up, and now I prefer waiting to see them on DVD or Blu-ray. Despite never having been to a theater I had to attend The Hobbit films and decided to try out PJ's new HFR 3D format.

I absolutely loved the look of it--it wasn't distracting at all and actually drew me further into Middle-earth than I thought it would. I'll probably see it this week again in 48fps and can't help but think that from my perspective, there's no longer a reason to consider seeing LFR theater movies.

In the future, I'll see the next two Hobbit movies and probably any other HFR movie in the theater while continuing to save the others for Blu-ray viewing. PJ's strategy definitely worked on me! Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2012, 12:24am

Post #21 of 44 (895 views)
Shortcut
Entirely agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw HFR first and 2D later, but I agree - I enjoyed the HFR but found the blur in the background distracting with the 3D. That's why I'd like to see it in HFR 2D; I'm curious what it would be like.

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 1:24am

Post #22 of 44 (870 views)
Shortcut
Thumbs up, but can't give final grade. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it first in 24fps 3d, then in 48fps 3d, and again in 24fps 3d.

I think 48fps (or something quicker than 24) is the way of the future. The video of the 48fps felt much smoother. But I would feel hard pressed to tell the difference if someone lied to me and showed me one but told me it was the other.

I will have to give 48fps an incomplete grade though. In all of PJ's Tolkien films, he over-saturated and played with the color temperatures for emotional effect as well as to give it certain feel. While that's fine and worked well in LotR, occasionally he did over do it and it was distracting. The color saturation in AUJ in 48fps seems over-done. It reminded me of Beowulf and 300. It seemed fine to me both times in 24fps. The problem is that I don't know which look PJ intended, or even if he intended there to be a difference.

However, my second viewing - the 48fps one - I enjoyed the most. Maybe a little over-stimulation has its benefits!

I'll have to wait to see how other directors use 48fps. If every 48fps film looks over-saturated to me, then the 48fps is a problem.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 30 2012, 7:16am

Post #23 of 44 (892 views)
Shortcut
So is your viewing of The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

the first time you have ever seen a film in a threatre? Or did I misread your post?

awepittance
The Shire

Dec 30 2012, 12:20pm

Post #24 of 44 (869 views)
Shortcut
maybe the way PJ made it, viewing angle is more important than usual [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the 3D HFR Hobbit to be the best depth I've ever seen in a film. Avatar had taken that spot before, but in Avatar,

interesting, i didn't feel it had as 'deep' of a feel as Avatar and since the 3d was talked about quite a lot in the pre-production I expected it to be at least as good. Were you sitting in a roughly center viewing angle? I was pretty closeup during an imax showing at 48fps and while the 3d was good and better than most movies it wasn't super impressive. Now i'm wondering if it's just because i had bad seats: 2nd row, center

Annael
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 5:12pm

Post #25 of 44 (797 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

With "Avatar" I remember staring past the actors into the forest in many scenes because it just seemed to go on and on, there was so much to see. But I also saw it at the biggest IMAX in town - the screen was four stories high - which may have made a difference. I tried to remember to look past the actors the second time I saw "The Hobbit" and things seemed blurry.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.