Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Box-office thread 2
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 19 2012, 6:55pm

Post #1 of 35 (1121 views)
Shortcut
The Box-office thread 2 Can't Post

$238,416,000 world wide

15th biggest prequel ever (domestic)

26th biggest film of 2012

21st biggest fantasy film

Now that I have posted this expect a updated numbers in 5 minutes. It usually happens when I post numbers

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 7:09pm

Post #2 of 35 (581 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday's haul [In reply to] Can't Post

$7,860,000 in US

this is 1.6% larger than Mondays loot count.

I don't have the international figures

* crunch *

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 7:10pm

Post #3 of 35 (543 views)
Shortcut
Knew someone would be updating this shortly. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Tuesday's numbers were actually slightly up on Monday's in the US, which was a nice surprise.. :)

International numbers usually take a bit longer and often aren't updated every day in every territory. I'd guess, especially in those countries who project mainly on film and not through a digital distribution system. So, it is a bit of wait and see. Oh, but the wait is tantalizing ;)

Hah, crunchy best me to relevant points, as well. Sneaksy-fast TORNsies;)

(This post was edited by Steven Van der Berg on Dec 19 2012, 7:13pm)

frodolives
Lorien

Dec 19 2012, 7:17pm

Post #4 of 35 (526 views)
Shortcut
That's excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a really big surprise -- Tuesdays traditionally drop from Mondays during this season. Where did you get the info?

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 7:20pm

Post #5 of 35 (515 views)
Shortcut
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-12-18&p=.htm [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-12-18&p=.htm

* crunch *

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2012, 7:48pm

Post #6 of 35 (523 views)
Shortcut
by the end of the domestic and international run [In reply to] Can't Post

it will probably make back the budget of both films (now 3).

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 8:09pm

Post #7 of 35 (479 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

box-office numbers will mean a lot more next week. We all knew TH would open big, but it remains to be seen if U.S numbers hold up, with Zero Dark Thirty and Les Miserables opening over the holiday, and Harvey Weinstein's current filmic creature, Silver Linings Playbook, opening wide. This week it had no competition.
(please God let 0D30 flop.)

Deadline Hollywood is also a good place to track Booffice on weekends.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2012, 8:32pm

Post #8 of 35 (445 views)
Shortcut
See, i wouldn't consider that excellent. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not like it went up close to 15% or more like all the other movies. But for its first Tuesday it's not bad either, since movies tend to bleed audience faster on their first days. It's an okay number, nothing more, nothing less.

burrahobbit
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 8:37pm

Post #9 of 35 (441 views)
Shortcut
UK opening 11.6 million in four days [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a solid if not spectacular performance:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/dec/18/hobbit-top-box-office

We'll need to wait a while to see how popular it's going to perform over the holidays, which begin this weekend.

frodolives
Lorien

Dec 19 2012, 8:49pm

Post #10 of 35 (419 views)
Shortcut
It's excellent because... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it didn't drop. I didn't mean the figure was something earth-shattering; I meant that it was great news that it didn't drop from one day to the next. That is unexpected for me.

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 9:25pm

Post #11 of 35 (389 views)
Shortcut
Patience...patience..my... [In reply to] Can't Post

freinds.... When the kids get out of school on Friday there will be 10 straight days of parents sending the kids to the movies... The Hobbit will be the number one choice...Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 19 2012, 9:28pm

Post #12 of 35 (362 views)
Shortcut
And a nightmare for the rest of us [In reply to] Can't Post

freinds.... When the kids get out of school on Friday there will be 10 straight days of parents sending the kids to the movies... The Hobbit will be the number one choice...

Kids are a nightmare in cinemas. They should be banned.

Evil

(I kid of course. Nice children are allowed in.)

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 9:34pm

Post #13 of 35 (340 views)
Shortcut
I know the kids can get a little... [In reply to] Can't Post

obnoxious (like we all once were). My suggestion would be to go to the early showings. We typically have 10:30 AM showings that are readily available and lack the kids on Christmas vacation....

burrahobbit
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 9:39pm

Post #14 of 35 (341 views)
Shortcut
Different audience for Zero Dark Thirty? [In reply to] Can't Post

Zero Dark Thirty has been getting some great reviews and I can't see it flopping. But it's a really different kind of film to AUJ, so I don't think it will affect AUJ's audience much. It's not like a Harry Potter film is opening next week Wink

Silranhir
Bree

Dec 19 2012, 9:45pm

Post #15 of 35 (332 views)
Shortcut
Just got in... [In reply to] Can't Post

From my second viewing. There were more people in the 3D showing at 6pm today than there were on the primetime 8pm slot (3D) on Saturday just gone.

Maybe a slow burner this one. It'll do well enough to be considered a success I am sure. And rightly so. I also liked it more second time as I took it on its own merits rather than a LOTR prequel which it never was and shouldn't be considered since the book came before LOTR.

frodolives
Lorien

Dec 19 2012, 9:47pm

Post #16 of 35 (317 views)
Shortcut
It's also rated R [In reply to] Can't Post

Generally rated R films tend to gross less than PG13 movies. Although that may be different with Django Unchained.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2012, 9:51pm

Post #17 of 35 (328 views)
Shortcut
its already a very solid success [In reply to] Can't Post

it had the biggest december night record in u.s. box office history, its done 138 million overseas and it just hit the 100 million mark in the u.s.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 11:04pm

Post #18 of 35 (283 views)
Shortcut
Box Office Mojo [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually just updates overseas totals on Monday; so will be next Monday before we get a worldwide total update.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 20 2012, 12:58am

Post #19 of 35 (252 views)
Shortcut
270 million worldwide [In reply to] Can't Post

http://movies.broadwayworld.com/article/THE-HOBBIT-Surpasses-200-Million-Mark-Worldwide-100-Million-in-US-20121219

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2012, 1:02am

Post #20 of 35 (247 views)
Shortcut
yup its going to break even [In reply to] Can't Post

with the both films budget by the end of its box office run, not to mention what they will make on blu-ray and the EE edition.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 20 2012, 8:11am

Post #21 of 35 (144 views)
Shortcut
They can make 4 films instead now! ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

mcmojo
The Shire

Dec 20 2012, 4:07pm

Post #22 of 35 (105 views)
Shortcut
Competition [In reply to] Can't Post

Zero Dark Thirty won't be any competition for The Hobbit. It won't open wide until January. And even then, it's more of an awards type movie and not a big crowd movie.

The Hobbit needs to only drop by around 40% this coming weekend for it to maintain a nice pace. I expect it will do better business next week than it did this week because of school being out all over the country and with the Christmas crowd.

It's tracking better than King Kong did and that movie ended up grossing over $200 million domestically. So, I have no doubts that The Hobbit will make that much at the very least. I would like to see it cross the $300 million mark domestically.

imin
Valinor

Dec 20 2012, 4:17pm

Post #23 of 35 (102 views)
Shortcut
Most films released now [In reply to] Can't Post

the really big blockbusters have made at least $400 million in the US, with others making much more.

I would see anything less than $400 as kinda low (for the hobbit).

Overseas i would expect it to make anywhere from $600-900 million.

I know it sounds stupid but for this movie anything less than $1 billion is bad - though i think it will make that for sure.

mcmojo
The Shire

Dec 20 2012, 4:23pm

Post #24 of 35 (102 views)
Shortcut
Blockbusters [In reply to] Can't Post

There have only been 15 movies to make over $400 million domestically. 3 of those were multiple releases: E.T., Star Wars, The Lion King.

The Return of the King only made $377 million domestically. It was the conclusion of a very popular trilogy of films. The Hobbit, on the other hand, is a less popular story and it is the first film in a trilogy. I honestly didn't expect it to top ROTK's numbers in the U.S. I figured it might top in internationally though. I was hoping it would top The Two Towers numbers ($342 million in the U.S.). The next two weeks will determine if it can do that.

imin
Valinor

Dec 20 2012, 4:29pm

Post #25 of 35 (103 views)
Shortcut
They were 10 years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

i dont know about you but ticket prices where i am have doubled in that time. Then there is also the extra cost of IMAX and 3d.

The list of those 15, loads are from the past 10 years and the others (like lotr) come very close and as they didnt have any 3d then it should be easy to make it.

Effectively only have to sell 1/2 to 2/3 the number of tickets for the hobbit as they did the lotr to make the same amount of money.

The avengers made over 600 million and it sucks! Not to mention films like transformers have made over 400 million.

For the hobbit it should not be that hard - i think the mixed reviews have hurt it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.