Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson responds to the 48fps critics
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 2:48pm

Post #1 of 114 (1433 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson responds to the 48fps critics Can't Post

Interviewer: "Not everyone has embraced "The Hobbit" in 48 fps".
PJ: "For the last year and a half there's been speculation, largely negative, about it and I'm so relieved to have gotten to this point. I've been waiting for this moment when people can actually see it for themselves. Cinephiles and serious film critics who regard 24 fps as sacred are very negative and absolutely hate it. Anybody I've spoken to under the age of 20 thinks it's fantastic. I haven't heard a single negative thing from the young people, and these are the kids that are watching films on their iPads. These are the people I want to get back in the cinema."
Full interview here:
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/minute-director-peter-jackson-shooting-hobbit-100203326.html

Basically, PJ tells it like it is. The new generation love this format, and they are the audiences of the future.

* crunch *

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 19 2012, 2:50pm

Post #2 of 114 (740 views)
Shortcut
If only I were 3 years younger! [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I could be counted as a young person who hates 48fps.

Drat.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 2:54pm

Post #3 of 114 (740 views)
Shortcut
Bit of a funny statement isnt it [In reply to] Can't Post

Comes across as massively defensive.

There are loads of people who like the 48fps but who happen to be over 20 years of age. Just as there are people who are younger than 20 who hate it.

I think the reason more people under 20 like it/accept it is they have seen on average less films and so the adjustment time is less or just used to seeing more higher frame rate images from games etc.

Ultimately its not like 24fps is going anywhere, least not for the foreseeable future.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 3:03pm

Post #4 of 114 (655 views)
Shortcut
good on him [In reply to] Can't Post

i reckon if you ask anyone over 70 they wouldnt even realise the difference! i doubt that many people would if they didnt know. he is right cinephiles and peadocritics will judge judge judge. we are definately at a turning point in cinema if we like it or not. im tottaly up for it, im more visual person than a great reader so i love all the new technologies.

Great artists challenge and ask questions. pj is doing that.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 3:06pm

Post #5 of 114 (673 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I think 24 fps is a vague memory in the future. They went for 24 fps in the 1920's because it was cheaper.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

imin
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 3:10pm

Post #6 of 114 (655 views)
Shortcut
So all the people [In reply to] Can't Post

who think 24fps looks better, what about them? Just have to put up with something they hate?

Just because they didnt like it doesnt mean they hate advances in technology or the idea of pushing the cinematic experience forward. Take Daniellb - he really wanted to like it, but he just doesnt and from the sounds of it wont for a long time/if ever.

There are others who feel the same, its not to spite the hobbit or a big conspiracy against the hobbit, some people just found it wasnt for them, rather than being immersive it actually took them out of the film.

No, 24fps will be around for a good while to come, as i said the foreseeable future.

swampB
Bree

Dec 19 2012, 3:14pm

Post #7 of 114 (621 views)
Shortcut
HFR is the future for sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got a new TV, 3d 1080p and 48fps makes my 3d bluray's look like crap! It should have been obvious to anyone watching the Hobbit in HFR how much better the picture looks... 24 isn't a cinematic art... It's a technical limitation. I hate the fact I want a home theater upgrade! Can't wait to see the Hobbit again in HFR!

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 3:15pm

Post #8 of 114 (643 views)
Shortcut
the higher frame rate [In reply to] Can't Post

didn't completely work for me, but i do think its critics have done it a disservice in not taking enough time to praise its positive aspects (the level of detail you can now see is simply astounding) and, most importantly, the way it improves the 3D experience. to me, that's really the gist of the matter. i'd rather watch the movie in 2D, but 3D is an enormous selling point to get people into the cinemas and is now used for nearly every major blockbuster not directed by Christopher Nolan. so, if i'm going to see a movie in 3D, i'd much rather see it in HFR than the juddery, dark, discombobulated experience that is 24fps 3D.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 3:16pm

Post #9 of 114 (620 views)
Shortcut
in the future... [In reply to] Can't Post

you can sit in your little dark room with your flat screen and your flickering picture box and the guy on the piano...im gonna be injected with the film in my brain and waking dream sleep the 4d immersive reality film when they invent it!

bring it on.. take me to the future!

aarondirebear
Bree

Dec 19 2012, 3:18pm

Post #10 of 114 (618 views)
Shortcut
mtv bs [In reply to] Can't Post

Catering to the Jersey Shore and Spongebob generation.
Typical Peter Jackson.
this is what I say to him:

The current generation can either learn to like what the previous generations liked (i.e., gain some class) or go suck a lemon.

People under 20 tend to be ijits with brains full of mush, so what does that say about your precious framerate? It makes everything look cartoony.

"Others are inclined to say that any two stories that are built round the same folk-lore motive, or are made up of a generally similar combination of such motives, are "the same stories." Statements of that kind are not true, they are not true in art or literature. It is precisely the colouring, the atmosphere, the unclassifiable individual details of a story, and above all the general purport that informs with life the undissected bones of the plot, that really count." J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by aarondirebear on Dec 19 2012, 3:19pm)

imin
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 3:20pm

Post #11 of 114 (603 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that was unfair by a lot of the critics [In reply to] Can't Post

It was like for lots they had already made up their mind that HFR was going to be pants. Though fair play to some, they said they thought they would hate it but were won over.

I do think the hobbit has got many more negative/rotten reviews than it maybe would have done if just in regular 24fps, both 2d and 3d.

But someone has to be the first and ultimately good on him for trying and for lots it worked out well, just for another large group of people they didnt feel its quite there yet.

I do see HFR as the future but 24fps will be here for a long time still. I think it could become like 3D, its here now for most big films, but the option of 2D is still available.

aarondirebear
Bree

Post #12 of 114 (618 views)
Shortcut
Looks like we aren't as doomed as i thought [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Then I could be counted as a young person who hates 48fps.

Drat.

"Others are inclined to say that any two stories that are built round the same folk-lore motive, or are made up of a generally similar combination of such motives, are "the same stories." Statements of that kind are not true, they are not true in art or literature. It is precisely the colouring, the atmosphere, the unclassifiable individual details of a story, and above all the general purport that informs with life the undissected bones of the plot, that really count." J.R.R. Tolkien

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Post #13 of 114 (596 views)
Shortcut
ageist, are we? [In reply to] Can't Post

poor form here, man.

DanielLB
Immortal

Post #14 of 114 (602 views)
Shortcut
HFR is the way forward [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just too soon. They should have gone for a frame rate >24fps <48fps, which would have made the experience a lot more comfortable.

It certainly does have its advantages, but the CGI isn't good enough for HFR yet. A scene falls apart because the CGI isn't good enough.

I'm happy sticking to 24fps for the time being. But a day will come when all films are in HFR. But hey, that's change.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 19 2012, 3:23pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 19 2012, 3:21pm

Post #15 of 114 (590 views)
Shortcut
What's that supposed to mean? / [In reply to] Can't Post

herzogian
Bree

Dec 19 2012, 3:22pm

Post #16 of 114 (579 views)
Shortcut
HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

First time I watched the movie was in HFR, I saw flaws then but some views where truly amazing. Second time I watched it was in 24fps and i missed something. I reckon it was 48 fps, the movie was more spectacular with it, never had this teletubbie feeling everyone was talking about on the contrary. Though i was and still am a bit of a sceptic i must admit 48 fps seconds works, but not all the time.

imin
Valinor

Post #17 of 114 (575 views)
Shortcut
Only so much as PJ in the original article, giving sweeping generalisations. :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

aarondirebear
Bree

Post #18 of 114 (590 views)
Shortcut
confusticate [In reply to] Can't Post

Confusticate and bebother .
We should not be forced to change how films are made and seen just to enhance the 3-D experience, which is in of itself a gimmick to hide bad acting and bad writing.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 19 2012, 6:25pm)

aarondirebear
Bree

Dec 19 2012, 3:25pm

Post #19 of 114 (589 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, a habit of the old [In reply to] Can't Post

What it means is that I already found an exception to the general rule. Be happy, you are among the smartest of your generation.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 3:25pm

Post #20 of 114 (584 views)
Shortcut
Just no. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Catering to the Jersey Shore and Spongebob generation.
Typical Peter Jackson.
this is what I say to him:

The current generation can either learn to like what the previous generations liked (i.e., gain some class) or go suck a lemon.

People under 20 tend to be ijits with brains full of mush, so what does that say about your precious framerate? It makes everything look cartoony.

That is not what he said.

He makes clear his intention is to get young people excited about the movies again.

Make them realize it is better to go and watch stuff at the movies and not via illegal download.

He has referred to that in several intentions.

You (clearly with your own agenda) make it sound like PJ wants to force every single person on this planet to go watch every future movie in 48fps. But the truth is, that a huge majority screenings of the Hobbit are 24fps. And up until now he just offers another possibility.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 3:26pm

Post #21 of 114 (577 views)
Shortcut
but [In reply to] Can't Post

so youre watching your films at 12 fps in black and white, with a piano soundtrack in 4:3 ratio then?

(This post was edited by jimmyfenn on Dec 19 2012, 3:27pm)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2012, 3:34pm

Post #22 of 114 (568 views)
Shortcut
After talking to someone who has seen it [In reply to] Can't Post

My nephew is his 3rd year of film school in a California (Brooks Institute)and he and some friends went to see the "new" HFR version. He said he actually hated it, (course he is 22 so I guess he doesn't meet PJ's demographic Crazy ) While he did say that he feels that Higher frame rates will eventually be the norm in the future. Now is not the right time for it since much of the other technology involved behind the scenes is not up to par yet in many ways...

I think its all personal taste but since I have no desire to see it in 48fps, I really don't have an issue as long as they give me a 242fps version to watch.Wink

But Peter Jackson does seem to get pretty defensive when challenged about trying to change the standard of films doesn't he? Angelic I say if it aint broke don't try and fix it. cause all the tinkering WILL eventually break itTongue

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 3:38pm

Post #23 of 114 (544 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

So I guess it's my duty not to like it Angelic

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 3:39pm

Post #24 of 114 (528 views)
Shortcut
fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ could have been a bit more tactful in how he phrased his reply, but it's a big difference between saying something along the lines of "most young people I've met seem to take to it and that's one of the movie's key demographics" and the response being "BUT YOUNG PEOPLE HAVE BRAINS OF MUSH!"

Eadignes
The Shire

Dec 19 2012, 3:40pm

Post #25 of 114 (543 views)
Shortcut
I am 45, who loves 48 fps [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a grumpy old man, who walked out of avatar(3d), i thought i was better of playing mass effect with my nephew.(mass effect turned out to have a better storyline).
I could not stand 3d in any movie i had seen at the cinema, i thought it just was a poorly conceived gimmick!
But watching the hobbit (great movie, if not quite the hobbit) in 48fps 3d was the best cinema experience i have ever had!
For a grumpy 45 year old to then not turn up to a 24 fps viewing but pay again to see it in 48fps is bonkers.
And i may be bonkers, but i loved it the 2nd time as well!Sly

(This post was edited by Eadignes on Dec 19 2012, 3:41pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.