Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ian McKellen: "There's some indication Gandalf and Galadriel have had a past"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Dec 19 2012, 2:14pm

Post #1 of 30 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Ian McKellen: "There's some indication Gandalf and Galadriel have had a past" Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koAs76M0JcM

He talks about it around the 1:00 mark. It's funny how after months of mocking people for seeing things that apparently aren't there, it turns out that maybe they are! It seems like a valid enough reading in the movie universe, anyway.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 19 2012, 2:19pm

Post #2 of 30 (720 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Galadriel did not get jiggy [In reply to] Can't Post

Ever.

And I don't think that's what PJ was doing with that scene. He's not giving them a romantic connection/past, he was trying to give them an intimate friendship connection/past. 2 of the oldest beings in Middle-earth, both of which have been and seen a lot, it must be very lonely and tiring.

That is all.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Dec 19 2012, 2:41pm

Post #3 of 30 (616 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I trust McKellen's instincts more than Jackson's on this one, mischievous as they are Tongue

Oh, and their deep friendship is undeniable. But I still think their little moment in AUJ is the most romantic of these films so far, which doesn't really imply anything remotely naughty.

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 2:48pm

Post #4 of 30 (600 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

HiddenSpring wrote: But I still think their little moment in AUJ is the most romantic of these films so far...

Galadriel is the only female to appear in the film for crying out loud.

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Dec 19 2012, 2:51pm

Post #5 of 30 (571 views)
Shortcut
I meant throughout the 4 films... [In reply to] Can't Post

If the word "romantic" is making you uncomfortable, call it something else. The tenderness of the moment makes it romantic, it doesn't mean they're having an affair or something.

Macsen
Lorien

Dec 19 2012, 3:13pm

Post #6 of 30 (564 views)
Shortcut
She didn't seem too upset... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in LOTR when she found out he had been et by a Balrog.

But it gives a new meaning to Celeborn's lines:

"Where is Gandalf for I much desire to speak with him. I've found about about him and me Gal and much desire to give him a bit of what for. Outside, now!"

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 19 2012, 3:16pm

Post #7 of 30 (551 views)
Shortcut
She looked pretty upset [In reply to] Can't Post

But then we could make up some mumbo-jumbo about her knowing that he is still alive.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 3:20pm

Post #8 of 30 (547 views)
Shortcut
Uh, Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you feeling ok? Wink

But really, I don't like the idea either. It's ridiculous that anyone would suggest it seriously.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

RalphDamiani
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 3:49pm

Post #9 of 30 (520 views)
Shortcut
I get the impression [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone tried too hard to humanize Gandalf by giving a character arch and some of Gimli's adoration towards Galadriel, as if he somehow revered her beauty.

Which is absurd for Tolkien. Since Gandalf is asexual, even platonic undertones feel wrong for him. And he has seen the light of the Trees, whose beauty Galadriel only echoed. He would never be awe-struck by her. Himself being a maia and ringbearer, his spirit would outshine hers.

PJ and crew increased her power to make up for the lack of female roles. Just like Arwen. And made Gandalf full of self-doubt, which is no different to what they did to Aragorn. Kinda irks me.

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 4:24pm

Post #10 of 30 (456 views)
Shortcut
It [In reply to] Can't Post

is quite possible that they have "a past". It could really be that they knew each other in Valinor and were good friends, I doubt he meant they had a past in refering to a love relationship or almost love relationship.

Maiar are not asexual, Melian, a maia, married Thingol and the Valar have husbands or wifes also, Maiar probably too.

And why sholdn´t he be be awe-strucked by her? After all she was a great being, accounted beatiful even among the Eldar and with Feanor the greatest of the Noldor and in the Top 3 off the greatest of the Eldar (Luthien being Nr. 1) overall. I see no reason why a greater being, like Gandalf is, should not be impressed by an elf, if that elf is really great.

Even in the book he was kinda impressed by her. "In Dwimordene, in Lorien, seldom..." He made a song for her.

I really thought that scene was so sweet and I can´t wait to see how she will help him, like it was strongly indicated.

(This post was edited by Nerven on Dec 19 2012, 4:32pm)

RalphDamiani
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 4:38pm

Post #11 of 30 (429 views)
Shortcut
Too human [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
is quite possible that they have "a past". It could really be that they knew each other in Valinor and were good friends, I doubt he meant they had a past in refering to a love relationship or almost love relationship.

I agree, but that is not what Sir Ian is claiming. :)

Maiar are not asexual, Melian, a maia, married Thingol and the Valar have husbands or wifes also, Maiar probably too.

I meant Olorin, the maia, not all of them. None of the Istari took wives, and if they did in Aman, nothing is mentioned of it?

As for being struck by her beauty, you'd expect that after thousands upon thousands of year, you'd grown accustomed to it? Gimli had only just met his first noldorin lady. Gandalf would have seen Varda herself...So the thought that he somehow shrinks at her touch...I just can't buy it.

It's a lovely scene, brilliantly acted and works for the movie, but that's not book Gandalf to me.

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 4:41pm

Post #12 of 30 (423 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

don´t think that it is mostly her beauty which awe-strucked him, rather her entire awesome being is. Smile That lady has charisma.

(This post was edited by Nerven on Dec 19 2012, 4:42pm)

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 5:49pm

Post #13 of 30 (375 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel ultimate cougar, Real House Wives of Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

She is 6000 plus , He is 2500. Do the math.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2012, 6:16pm

Post #14 of 30 (348 views)
Shortcut
Watch the video [In reply to] Can't Post

McKellen makes it quite clear that he's not talking about a mere friendship:

In Reply To
There's more variety in playing that Gandalf than Gandalf the White. And then the scene you mentioned with Galadriel, the divine Cate Blanchett, there's a little bit more than... I think there's some romance going on there, don't you? Or some indication that they've had a past. I love that little suggestion.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 6:24pm

Post #15 of 30 (350 views)
Shortcut
PJ's universe is different than Tolkien's [In reply to] Can't Post

So they may have gotten jiggy with it.

In Tolkien's universe though, no. I'm fairly positive all the wizards were celibate.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 19 2012, 6:26pm

Post #16 of 30 (358 views)
Shortcut
What about Celeborn? [In reply to] Can't Post

They would have been wed long before Gandalf arrived in Middle-earth.

Galadriel cheating on Celeborn isn't a good characterisation of one of the most ethereal people in all of Tolkien's works.

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 6:46pm

Post #17 of 30 (329 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel getting down & dirty with Celebrimbor before fool lost his cool and started forging rings and stuff?

And then switch it to Celeborn while her former boy was riding in front of the saurons army, spiked on some torturing device?

(This post was edited by Hengist on Dec 19 2012, 7:22pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 19 2012, 6:49pm

Post #18 of 30 (324 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't Celebrimbor fond of Galadriel? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's all I remember.

They didn't get down and dirty, from what I remember. And it wasn't reciprocated by Galadriel.

(I could be wrong.)

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 19 2012, 6:50pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 6:54pm

Post #19 of 30 (323 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Celebrimbor loved Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

and forged the Elessar for her (in one version). But you're right, she never reciprocated his love.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Gurtholfin
Bree

Dec 19 2012, 7:02pm

Post #20 of 30 (301 views)
Shortcut
Like your cougar jake, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
She is 6000 plus , He is 2500. Do the math.

Actually, Olorin is far older than Galadriel as he was around at the beginning of time along with the Valar.

His incarnation as Gandalf was much younger of course, but it's still the same entity.

Either way, any "romance" between Galadriel and Gandalf would be a horribly misguided decision by the movie makers.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2012, 7:05pm

Post #21 of 30 (301 views)
Shortcut
right [In reply to] Can't Post

anymore more than that is reading into it. Gandalf and Galadriel have been around for hundreds of years so it would make sense that they have profound respect for each other.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Dec 19 2012, 7:05pm)

Macsen
Lorien

Dec 19 2012, 7:09pm

Post #22 of 30 (286 views)
Shortcut
Bo... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Dori and Gandalf that will be getting it on I think. Dori's flirting at Bag End was outrageous.

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 8:24pm

Post #23 of 30 (260 views)
Shortcut
I think it's more about the actors than the characters [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to me, judging by interviews where Cate and Ian are postively gushing about each other, that they really clicked on the set. Not romantically, obviously, what with Ian being gay and Cate being married, but on some level.

I don't think Peter Jackson, or anyone for that matter, is trying to make Galadriel and Gandalf have anything between them that goes beyond the long lasting friendship and alliance they have in fighting against Sauron. But people start getting all sorts of crazy ideas as soon as two actors manage to build an emotional connection of any kind between their characters.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 19 2012, 8:51pm

Post #24 of 30 (252 views)
Shortcut
A Wizard is never laid, Frodo Baggins.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"123456!... password!... password1!... password2!... Gimli, do you know Durin's date of birth? Thanks. 140457!... mithril@!... mithril#!... maltbeer!... qwerty!... Legolas, do your elf eyes see any post-its lying around the base of the cliff?"

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 9:03pm

Post #25 of 30 (228 views)
Shortcut
Win. // [In reply to] Can't Post

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.