Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit box office thread (Inc rankings and stats)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 18 2012, 5:48pm

Post #1 of 37 (1385 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit box office thread (Inc rankings and stats) Can't Post

Currently on $222,817,303 (according to Box office Mojo, numbers for Monday not included)

The Hobbit is currently the 16th biggest prequel ever (Domestic)

Currently, after 1 weekend 28th biggest film of 2012 (Word wide)

Currently 23rd biggest Fantasy - Live Action (domestic)

(currently = 17:47GMT 18/12/2012)

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Kierkegaurdian
The Shire

Dec 18 2012, 6:03pm

Post #2 of 37 (632 views)
Shortcut
Looks like they ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... just updated their numbers to $92,342,000 domestic, for a worldwide total of $230,542,000 as of the 17th of December. They can add another 14 bucks though, 'cuz I am going to see it again in a few hours :-)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 18 2012, 6:09pm

Post #3 of 37 (581 views)
Shortcut
Every time I post the box office [In reply to] Can't Post

they upgrade it Shocked

-Irfon

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 18 2012, 6:17pm

Post #4 of 37 (580 views)
Shortcut
Update! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now at $230,542,000

27th biggest film of 2012

-Irfon

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2012, 6:23pm

Post #5 of 37 (567 views)
Shortcut
Box Office Mojo weekend report... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://boxofficemojo.com/.../?id=3587&p=.htm

Excerpt:

It's hard to rag on a new monthly record, but it does feel like this $84.8 million debut is a slight miss for The Hobbit. The Lord of the Rings is one of the most popular movie franchises ever, and adapting the prequel story should have been a box office slam-dunk. Unfortunately, Warner Bros. marketing almost exclusively focused on The Hobbit's connection to Lord of the Rings, and therefore failed to show what's special about this movie. Add in confusion about the trilogy situation (which WB didn't make much of an effort to correct) and some middling reviews (65 percent on Rotten Tomatoes), and many casual moviegoers likely decided to take a "wait-and-see" approach here.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2012, 6:31pm

Post #6 of 37 (547 views)
Shortcut
Less than a week in [In reply to] Can't Post

and already nearly a quarter of the way to 1 billion? Sounds like success to me.

demanon
Rivendell

Dec 18 2012, 6:35pm

Post #7 of 37 (536 views)
Shortcut
27th biggest film of 2012??? [In reply to] Can't Post

what the heck was numbers 5-1?

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 18 2012, 6:41pm

Post #8 of 37 (484 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad I contributed ~ 0.0007% of that. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2012, 6:52pm

Post #9 of 37 (493 views)
Shortcut
It's already 27th [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's only been out less than a week.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2012, 6:56pm

Post #10 of 37 (498 views)
Shortcut
I saw the movie yesterday. [In reply to] Can't Post

I went on my own. I was the first one there, and I counted the rest of the audience as they came in - a total of 20 of us in all. At 5.70 per head, the cinema made 114 for that showing.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 18 2012, 7:01pm

Post #11 of 37 (495 views)
Shortcut
top 5 are [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Avengers
2. Dark Knight Rises
3. Skyfall
4. Ice age
5 Twilight

-Irfon

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 18 2012, 7:02pm

Post #12 of 37 (458 views)
Shortcut
Was it early in the day? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because, for virtually any movie, day-time screenings are almost always rather empty. I pick these on purpose when I want to watch any movie where I would prefer not to be disturbed by a large, vocal crowd.

Just for the record, what did you think about the movie, geordie? Knowing how you feel about the LOTR films and "scupper-The-Hobbit" and all that... Cool

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 18 2012, 7:02pm

Post #13 of 37 (492 views)
Shortcut
Yup, the majority of seats have been empty in my screenings. [In reply to] Can't Post

What did you think of the film geordie? And blimey, 5.70! I paid double that.

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 18 2012, 7:05pm

Post #14 of 37 (452 views)
Shortcut
Then you don't want to know what I paid... [In reply to] Can't Post

I paid 175 Swedish crowns for the viewing in 3D HFR. That's 16.27 Crazy

When I lived in England for a short while, I noticed how cheap going to the cinema was, and I thouroughly enjoyed that part!

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 18 2012, 7:09pm

Post #15 of 37 (470 views)
Shortcut
Holidays [In reply to] Can't Post

Christmas holidays haven't started yet, right? Unlike the LotRs, we should have something like 110M already in the bank before the holidays start

* crunch *

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 18 2012, 7:30pm

Post #16 of 37 (416 views)
Shortcut
That is true, here in the UK, kids are off school this Friday// [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

geordie
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2012, 7:32pm

Post #17 of 37 (410 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it was the first showing [In reply to] Can't Post

- at 11.30am. I got there at 11.20 and didn't get out till 2-45 pm! I was quite hungry by then - this film is way too long.

I went on my own 'cos mrs geordie didn't fancy going; and I figured other friends and family members would'nt fancy sitting next to me for 3 1/2 hours, if I were going to complain all the time. Sly

Actually, it wasn't all as bad as I'd feared - don't get me wrong; it's not a good re-telling of Tolkien's story, as far as I'm concerned - it just wasn't as God-awful as I'd been led to expect. For instance, no mention was made of Bifur's axe-in-the-head (I hardly noticed it). And the goblin-king didn't defecate on screen. That's the sort of small mercies I'm grateful for. (Though goodness only knows what treats there are in store for the dvds! )

The movie _was_ too long, y'know. The Azog thing was yawn-making. Didn't add a thing, for me. And the radagast episode ought to have been dropped down the nearest unused mine-shaft. Awful. The chase sequence in Goblin-town is ridiculous - should go straight to video (games, that is).

I did like Martin Freeman's portrayal as Bilbo, though. And Ken Stott as Balin.

I shan't go to watch it again, mind. My bum got numb!

geordie
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2012, 7:34pm

Post #18 of 37 (421 views)
Shortcut
We? Who's we? [In reply to] Can't Post

?? Am I to hope that the geordie bank account might receive a pleasant deposit shortly?

Smile

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Dec 18 2012, 8:24pm

Post #19 of 37 (373 views)
Shortcut
In Ohio is the USA,,, our kids don't start to this weekend.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Next week will be a "huge" week for going to the movies..

In Reply To
Christmas holidays haven't started yet, right? Unlike the LotRs, we should have something like 110M already in the bank before the holidays start

Dogsofwar
The Shire

Dec 18 2012, 8:46pm

Post #20 of 37 (417 views)
Shortcut
Wow, 7.74 million on a Monday in the U.S.? [In reply to] Can't Post

This movie is going to have some serious legs...

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2012, 10:00pm

Post #21 of 37 (348 views)
Shortcut
Nothing out of the ordinary. [In reply to] Can't Post

Other movies dropped* similarly.

*Sunday-to-Monday drop

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 18 2012, 10:00pm)

Dogsofwar
The Shire

Dec 18 2012, 10:01pm

Post #22 of 37 (315 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant those are pretty good numbers :)

imin
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 12:38am

Post #23 of 37 (206 views)
Shortcut
UK weekend figures - 5th best opening weekend of the year. [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson and JRR Tolkien have consistently proved a potent combination at the box office, so it's no surprise to see audiences turning up in droves for the first of three films based on The Hobbit.

However a haul of 11.60m in four days is far from record-breaking, and isn't even the biggest opening of 2012. Skyfall debuted in late October with 20.18m, and The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 followed a month later with 15.85m. Both titles achieved these sums in three days with no previews, as did The Dark Knight Rises when it opened in July with 14.36m. Marvel Avengers Assemble kicked off with 15.78m over its initial four days.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has thus only achieved the fifth-best opening of the year.

The result for this latest Tolkien adaptation compares favorably with 2001's Fellowship of the Ring, which began its run with 11.06m from five days. The Two Towers followed a year later with a 13.06m opening, also from five days. And then The Return of the King rounded out the trilogy in 2003, debuting with 15.02m, another five-day figure.

Considering ticket price inflation in the past decade, and the premium for 3D, initial admissions for The Hobbit are clearly down on all Jackson's previous Tolkien movies.

Backers Warners will be hoping that this more family-skewing tale will prove potent throughout the school holiday this Christmas, and that the best is yet to come.

This is all coming from The Guardian. Can be found here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/dec/18/hobbit-top-box-office

Will be very interesting to see if it picks up or if the mixed reviews (and word of mouth) change anything.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 12:44am

Post #24 of 37 (214 views)
Shortcut
I think the reviews have shafted this film to be honest [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's hope positive word of mouth can repair some of the damage.

* crunch *

imin
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 12:52am

Post #25 of 37 (196 views)
Shortcut
I think the word of mouth is overall postive [In reply to] Can't Post

But it isnt completely positive. The audience scores on metacritic and imdb are falling (they take a long time to fall especially imdb due to the sheer number of votes, so if it falls then you know lots of people are rating it lower).

Also i know this is not representative but when i went to see it, no one was saying, omg that was amazing, all i heard was that was ok, good but not as good as lotr, one guy even sighed and said 'well that was s***'

I do think the reviews have had an effect but to blame it on the reviews alone is also wrong, without the word of mouth being as glowing (in my circle of friends on FB and real life) as lotr i can imagine some being put off from paying what to them is alot of money and waiting for the dvds/blu rays.

Overall it is still going to make an obscene amount of money, just perhaps not as much as people expected, but then its not as good as people expected so it all evens out.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.