The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Breif, Non-Spoiler reactions?

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 12 2012, 5:46am

Post #1 of 9 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Breif, Non-Spoiler reactions? Can't Post

I don't want to be spoiled, but I also want to know what people on the board thought of the film. :)

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 12 2012, 5:55am

Post #2 of 9 (645 views)
Shortcut
I loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll see it again later today so my opinion will be better formed then but my initial reaction was positive. I actually can't pinpoint any particular thing that I didn't like. There were many scenes very faithful to the book which I loved and Martin Freeman was perfect as Bilbo.

I would say I can understand how a non-fan might perhaps find the movie a little too long but I don't think that is going to be an issue for anyone here. In a way it felt like watching an extended edition as a theatrical release.

I saw it in regular 2D so can't comment on the HFR.

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 12 2012, 5:56am

Post #3 of 9 (609 views)
Shortcut
Fair warning, spoilers will abound here starting now [In reply to] Can't Post

As I posted further down the board, and as the "Spoilers and high board traffic" sticky at the top of the board says, the movie has opened in many places around the world, so the Admins will no longer be editing subject lines for spoilers. I just wanted you to know that everything goes here from now on so you (and others) can decide how much you want to risk it. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 12 2012, 6:01am

Post #4 of 9 (626 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit is my favorite story. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I can't resist very well. I was doing good for a little while but I guess that once the everyday people I see day in and day out started talking about it, resistance became futile Blush.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 12 2012, 8:23am

Post #5 of 9 (544 views)
Shortcut
Read with caution [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll be in any thread, and WHAMMM!

There's a spoiler. Tongue Good luck staying spoiler free until you see the film.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 12 2012, 11:50am

Post #6 of 9 (502 views)
Shortcut
I saw it at the midnight screening [In reply to] Can't Post

Will say few things, no spoilers. ;)

First reaction comming out of the theater was: good movie but a little disappointed.
I didn't feel like this is as well adapted as the LotR movies was. 48 fps 3D is something remarkable. Very lifelike. But if it is for better or for worse, I can't decide untill I've seen it in 2D.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

herzogian
Bree

Dec 12 2012, 1:05pm

Post #7 of 9 (419 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

It was an enjoyable movie, never boring. But it has its weak moments and it misses something. Sometimes there are hints of this 'something' but nothing more. In this sense it is not as good as Lotr or as Fotr (I like to compare it with the first one cause we havent seen the other movies).

But dont let this bring you down, you'll have a real good time visiting middle earth again!

HFR doenst always work that well, it still has its flaws. Some scenes are clearly more suited for the technology then others. But when it does work its magnificent.

Neimod
The Shire

Dec 12 2012, 6:29pm

Post #8 of 9 (277 views)
Shortcut
My impressions [In reply to] Can't Post

For me it was pretty much perfect. Its slower pace compared to LOTR really allows that unique Middle-Earth atmosphere to radiate much stronger still. It's not so much an emotionally intense experience but rather an incredibly loveable adventure. I think you'll be smiling more than you'll be clenching your seat (although it certainly has such moments as well), but that is The Hobbit, so I think it's perfect. It has a huge heart, wonderful characters and every frame is gorgeous to look at. It made me feel very happy.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 12 2012, 8:08pm

Post #9 of 9 (260 views)
Shortcut
well well well [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to see it in 2D, 24fps and German synchronisation Crazy
Couldn't totally destroy my feeling, though. As it started, I was back in middle-earth and cried.

But I have to say that the film had two or three little problems, some might be solved in the extended cut, but anyway. One thing I really disliked was that there are nearly no new themes from Howard Shore, to be honest, they actually re-used many LOTR ones, near the end we hear the one that was being used when Barad-Dur collapsed. That felt a little odd.

But in general, I really liked it and I might even love it when I see it again.
I will see it on Saturday in 3D and 48fps (still German synch Frown) and monday finally in english and 2D.

(This post was edited by Valandil ed Imladris on Dec 12 2012, 8:08pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.