Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORn Exclusive: ‘Misty Mountains’ Clip from ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 11 2012, 10:09pm

Post #1 of 24 (1520 views)
Shortcut
TORn Exclusive: ‘Misty Mountains’ Clip from ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’ Can't Post

Hobbit week continues as we all await the arrival of ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey‘ in theaters December 14th! We are both honored and excited to share with you a TheOneRing.net Exclusive clip from the film! The clip features Thorin and company singing ‘Misty Mountains’ at the end of a long evening in Bagend. The song ‘Misty Mountains‘ is now available for individual download or as part of the complete soundtrack worldwide. [iTunes: Special Edition or Standard] [Amazon.com: Special Edition or Standard] Enjoy!

or go to home page to watch here.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 11 2012, 10:11pm)

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 10:13pm

Post #2 of 24 (537 views)
Shortcut
Just seen that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Love it. Magical. That is all.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 11 2012, 10:18pm

Post #3 of 24 (532 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful... [In reply to] Can't Post

the scenes with Bilbo sitting on the corner of his bed, listening to the music and watching the fire...so reminds me of this scene in the book.

" 'Twas a near thing!" said Spam. "Came nigh to a-spoilin' me pantaloons."

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 10:19pm

Post #4 of 24 (489 views)
Shortcut
Jeebers... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 10:20pm

Post #5 of 24 (517 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! What comes next? [In reply to] Can't Post

Love it. Emotional, epic, somber, perfect.

It seems to be leading into a flashback of some kind maybe...

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 11 2012, 10:20pm

Post #6 of 24 (527 views)
Shortcut
um...WOW [In reply to] Can't Post

cold chills.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 11 2012, 10:32pm

Post #7 of 24 (485 views)
Shortcut
to think... [In reply to] Can't Post

that this scene in any way contributes to some critics' complaints about the movie's slow beginning and having to sit through two dwarven musical numbers?

how callous can you be? i get that the harsh words are more likely geared towards "Blunt the Knives" (a minute long, how excruciating!), but still...

(This post was edited by unexpectedvisitor on Dec 11 2012, 10:33pm)

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 11 2012, 10:38pm

Post #8 of 24 (459 views)
Shortcut
Maybe ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... someone could just post the whole movie online next??? This is getting ridiculous how much of this movie is available now!

Give me more!! :)

Brandalf85
The Shire

Dec 11 2012, 10:45pm

Post #9 of 24 (434 views)
Shortcut
Songs [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! I pity those who don't like the songs in the book or the movie. Let's face it, they better be glad they didn't sing the entire song or it would be 4 minutes (not that we fan would mind a bit, but honestly this isn't taking up a long set of time).

I for one am glad to see more songs in the movies that are from the book itself. Maybe we should petition for the entire cast of LOTR and The Hobbit to come together and sing all the songs then put them on an album. Tongue

Thanks TORN!

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 11 2012, 10:59pm

Post #10 of 24 (389 views)
Shortcut
i know! [In reply to] Can't Post

i have watched the trailers, most of the TV spots, Gandalf giving Bilbo Sting clip, Goblintown clip, and this (and the first part of the White Council clip with the sound off). i refuse to do any more than that! a couple more days!

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 11:04pm

Post #11 of 24 (367 views)
Shortcut
Perfect. And beautiful - sheer magic. thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Dec 11 2012, 11:13pm

Post #12 of 24 (356 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see TOR.n get some TLC from the filmmakers. Thanks! Only two more days and a wake up left to go. Smile

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 11 2012, 11:28pm

Post #13 of 24 (353 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I really don't get it... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not that I don't believe the reviews from critics, but every thing I see looks so awesome.

I must admit, I've seen all the clips, listened to most of the soundtrack, basically spoiled myself to oblivion. It just all looks so spot on. I almost feel like spoiling myself has helped me understand what the film is going for (more or less). It all just looks great.

This scene seems like it would have been praised if it was in LOTR. It's on the same level of film making quality if you ask me. Plus, we all know it's not super emotional, it's an adventure story, and it's definitely different than LOTR to begin with. I'm going to enjoy this to some degree no matter what!

2 DAYS!!!!!!!!

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2012, 1:46am

Post #14 of 24 (259 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that! The magic is back! [In reply to] Can't Post

This and everything else I've seen has been wonderful. I've been spoiled silly and in the best way possible.

So far it looks like I'm going to be agreeing with the majority of people who've seen it - they think it's great. Wink

Great googly moogly is it Thursday night yet?

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2012, 1:55am

Post #15 of 24 (233 views)
Shortcut
It's just so strange... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you about loving everything we've seen. It all looks and feels absolutely magnificent, and the reviews from fans have been what you'd expect them to be - glowing. I just don't know what's going on with the critics. Were they really just won over by the trilogy's roller-coaster pacing? Is it mostly the 48fps that's putting them in a bad mood when viewing this? Or is it just because they know it's adapted from a short book - never mind the wealth of material that Tolkien wrote that's being incorporated into the story (that is quite relevant, by the way)?

I'm really nervous about seeing this on Friday, simply because the reaction seems so divisive. But I trust the Tolkien fans over film critics (I didn't even bother reading the critics back in 2001). So I presume I'm in for a great time. I just wish it would get here faster. Crazy

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

haarp
Rivendell

Dec 12 2012, 1:58am

Post #16 of 24 (232 views)
Shortcut
8 [In reply to] Can't Post

this isn't as good as man of steel trailer

imin
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 2:02am

Post #17 of 24 (224 views)
Shortcut
if you are genuinely curious about understanding [In reply to] Can't Post

a good place to look is at the rotten reviews on rotten tomatoes. They take a sentence from the review that you can read.

One gives a negative as they hated the 48fps. Many feel it is trying to be something its not and most admit fans will love it but it will bore average movie goers.

Here is the link, highlight and right click, click search google.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hobbit_an_unexpected_journey/reviews/?sort=rotten

They make me feel like i will like the film as i am one of those 'serious fans' they talk about.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2012, 2:16am

Post #18 of 24 (205 views)
Shortcut
I've read them. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's where my confusion comes from. Most of their "criticisms" seem more like virtues to me. What they call "filler" is actually the stuff I'm really excited about. I can't wait for The White Council and seeing the history of the Dwarvish culture, etc.

I would think that if you loved the story of the LotR films, then the content of these new films would be really appealing. But the way the critics go on, it makes me think they just liked them because they were breathless, exhilarating action pictures.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

starlesswinter
Lorien

Dec 12 2012, 2:45am

Post #19 of 24 (188 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

that was beautifully shot!

Gwytha
Rohan

Dec 12 2012, 2:45am

Post #20 of 24 (193 views)
Shortcut
I'm enchanted. So is Bilbo. [In reply to] Can't Post

A good way to establish why he decides to go off on the adventure after all.

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Kaymanklynman
The Shire

Dec 12 2012, 3:20am

Post #21 of 24 (184 views)
Shortcut
it will be better than the FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2012, 10:08am

Post #22 of 24 (129 views)
Shortcut
I think an important thing to note. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that much of what has been referred to as "filler" is material straight from the text - Bag End, the dwarf introductions, the songs etc. are almost universally mentioned.

A little Tolkien goes a long way for many people.

LR

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Dec 12 2012, 11:19am

Post #23 of 24 (122 views)
Shortcut
Gee, I hope Bilbo's smoke alarm doesn't go off [In reply to] Can't Post

It would kind of ruin the moment.Wink

imin
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 3:22pm

Post #24 of 24 (91 views)
Shortcut
Well as i said, lol [In reply to] Can't Post

That is because you are a fan and so this is interesting to you - this is what the reviews are saying. However for the more general movie goer they can see it being classed as going on for too long and dragging.

So what you (and i) see as a positive others (as i am sure my gf will see it) are negatives.

My favourite lotr was fotr which i felt had less action sequences than the others and felt slower even though they moved from place to place very fast. Sometimes its hard to judge - i know from many people the reason they do like the films is because of their fast pace and action sequences - they are usually the people who dont read at all and also tried to read the lord of the rings but gave up as its boring to them.

Horses for courses Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.