Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Interview with Freeman, Armitage, and Serkis - Who is the Hero

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 3:49am

Post #1 of 7 (967 views)
Shortcut
Interview with Freeman, Armitage, and Serkis - Who is the Hero Can't Post

Hope this hasn't been posted yet (hard to keep up right now) but this video has some interesting comments by Richard Armitage about who the hero of The Hobbit really is. Hint: It isn't the guy with biggest sword Wink Also a bit about Thorin's fears. Oh yeah, and Freeman and Serkis say some stuff too. Sly

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 3:58am

Post #2 of 7 (459 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately it won't load [In reply to] Can't Post

The page is coming up, but the video itself is getting tired of its trip from New Zealand to Texas.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 4:10am

Post #3 of 7 (467 views)
Shortcut
Must depend... [In reply to] Can't Post

..on where you are in Texas. I'm on the Gulf side. Perhaps it is just tired of the trek through Texas. I would be.

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 4:13am

Post #4 of 7 (449 views)
Shortcut
No kidding right? [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to live down near Houston near the Gulf now I'm up in the Dallas area - less mosquitoes. It finally loaded. I'm not surprised at all that Richard would call Bilbo the hero he seems to have a firm grasp on the characters.

I wonder if we get our feeds from there through satellite or if they've strung line from Australia or something along the ocean floor. Either way it's a long way for a packet to go. Wink

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 3:05pm

Post #5 of 7 (272 views)
Shortcut
Interesting to hear that greed [In reply to] Can't Post

is not being portrayed as a general dwarven characteristic (glad about that) but as a "madness" that runs through Thorin's family and which he is afraid of. I'm convinced that we're going to get satisfying layers in this film and that there won't be simple, fairy-tale emotions like love, hate, greed etc.

elostirion74
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 6:10pm

Post #6 of 7 (219 views)
Shortcut
some comments from the video [In reply to] Can't Post

Based purely on memory, there were some comments along these lines:

Martin Freeman: "Playing Bilbo Baggins was interesting. He is someone you can relate to.. you know, itīs not like playing a dragonfly for instance.."

Richard Armitage:
"Bilbo Baggins is definitely the hero of the story.. He is the kind of guy who stands in front of a precipice and is full of fear.. itīs this kind of guy that most of the audience will relate to, hoping that they, if faced with the same challenge, would rise up to it and meet it"

"Thorin is very much a flawed hero. He has this line of madness running through his family, a lust for gold.."

Martin Freeman:
"Walking onto the sets was awe-inspiring... the level of workmanship was just extraordinary"

elostirion74
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 6:29pm

Post #7 of 7 (199 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I think itīs difficult to make any conclusions about the portrayal of "greed" based on the few lines weīre given by Armitage here, but Iīm sure greed and lust for gold will not be presented as something exclusively dwarvish - that would be quite strange, thinking about the source material. Itīs rather the fierce jealousy and love of things of their own making and their enduring grudges which sets the dwarves more apart.

Since Thorin is one of the main characters and PJ & co. likes to delve into things like motivation, fears and doubts, one can be pretty sure that there will be plenty of nuances in the portrayal of the different characters. And the heroic characters, in this film people like Thorin & Bard are the types of characters that the scriptwriters seem to have the best affinity for IMO, judging from what we saw in LoTR.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.