Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson: Hobbit was almost filmed in Britain

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 8:51am

Post #1 of 14 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson: Hobbit was almost filmed in Britain Can't Post

So says The Telegraph.

A snippet:

The worst time for me [Peter Jackson] was when a huge box arrived in the office... this large cardboard box arrived and they had sent a location scout around England and Scotland to take photographs.

To be honest ... I'm glad they didn't shoot it here. Nothing beats the New Zealand vistas, and we certainly don't have much pristine countryside anymore.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Gimilkhad
The Shire

Nov 27 2012, 9:59am

Post #2 of 14 (636 views)
Shortcut
Swings and Roundabouts [In reply to] Can't Post

New Zealands mountains are undoubtedly better, but the Shire and much of the woodland scenery isn't that different. At least if it had been filmed in the UK we wouldn't have to put up with that damned tussock grass in so many shot.

imin
Valinor

Nov 27 2012, 10:28am

Post #3 of 14 (599 views)
Shortcut
Scotland could have given it a good go [In reply to] Can't Post

The mountains arent as high as the ones in New Zealand which would have been a problem for the misty mountains but for pretty much everything else it would have been fine for, then just a journey down south for the shire.

I think Eastern Europe would have been a good alternative if NZ was no longer an option.

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Nov 27 2012, 10:46am

Post #4 of 14 (564 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit shot in Romania, Poland, Bulgaria, Czech Republic etc. :) , that would've been interesting. I can only imagine what thrust the film industry in those countries could've received. It would've been fair, NZ already had LOTR :) Perhaps The Silmarillion, one day.

(This post was edited by TheRealBeren on Nov 27 2012, 10:54am)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 27 2012, 11:10am

Post #5 of 14 (564 views)
Shortcut
to be honest if I was to film other middle earth stories [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd not do them in NZ. We're deaing with a diffrent part of middle Earth, and a different time. Although, if there's any overlap, I'd film those scenes in NZ.

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

imin
Valinor

Nov 27 2012, 12:11pm

Post #6 of 14 (518 views)
Shortcut
yeah if any more adaptations are going to come about [In reply to] Can't Post

i think they should go to other places, get a unique feel for the movie.

NZ is gorgeous but there are loads of beautiful places in literally every country of the world, so im sure they would find brilliant alternatives.

If they had a near unlimited budget (kinda like the hobbit, lol) then you could just film certain parts of the film in one country then move on to another country for the next part of the film, james bond style.

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 27 2012, 12:37pm

Post #7 of 14 (472 views)
Shortcut
Global ME [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, thatīs what I would have prefered. Scandinavia and Iceland have some stunning Middle Earth-locations as well.

Spaldron
Rivendell

Nov 27 2012, 1:13pm

Post #8 of 14 (470 views)
Shortcut
Scotland may have worked [In reply to] Can't Post

But there simply isn't enough untouched, empty landscape left here, probably due to being smaller and having had populations living here for thousands of years. Also no location even in remotest Scotland isn't more than a few miles from a road, telephone line, village or some other modern structure. The film makers would have had to erase a lot of objects digitally.

And finally the UK has just had its worst weather in about 100 years so every shot would've looked bleak and sodden.

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

imin
Valinor

Nov 27 2012, 1:23pm

Post #9 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut
There is loads of parts of scotland [In reply to] Can't Post

with nothing for miles around - i have done extensive walking/camping in Scotland and there is some real open expanses of nothing. Talking 10 mile walks to get to the start of the walk, lol.

Phone lines would be a doddle to remove, WETA think nothing of changing an entire sky for example. Also some parts of lotr were filmed not far from towns etc.

The best bet would be a global effort though moving from location to location - some of New Zealand is perfect but it doesnt mean other places couldnt do it.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2012, 5:21pm

Post #10 of 14 (304 views)
Shortcut
For some future new adaptation [In reply to] Can't Post

Britain would be a great choice, and a natural one.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 27 2012, 8:28pm

Post #11 of 14 (220 views)
Shortcut
Considering most of the landscapes are now created digitally, they could have done this [In reply to] Can't Post

They haven't done much location shooting for TH, and almost all of that could have been done in the UK no problem. Much of the Scottish Highlands, the Snowdonia part of Wales and the Lake District in England would have served very well indeed.

The only problem I can think of is Hobbiton, which sits perfectly in it's original location in NZ. The Hobbit holes had been up for ages so it would have been insane if they suddenly had to do a complete rebuild in the UK.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 9:35pm

Post #12 of 14 (197 views)
Shortcut
Yes, we have some beautiful scenery [In reply to] Can't Post

But there's so much more out there. They can film the Shire here, but for the epic shots, I think they would need to go elsewhere.

Plus, if it was filmed here, I would be in prison for harassment! They wouldn't r able to keep me off set.Evil

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 28 2012, 12:13am

Post #13 of 14 (192 views)
Shortcut
Actually the Uk [In reply to] Can't Post

would have been perfect. It has the rugged mountains of Scotland and Snowdonia, it has the green rolling hills of the Cotswolds and the Lake District, the moors and heaths of Northumbria, the Derbyshire Peak district, the scenery of Ireland and Wales is second to none. It would have also been the real Middle Earth where Tolkien imagined it being. The only problem would have been the rain, and it does kind of rain 24/7, thats why its so green.
Tongue maybe next time.

sphdle1
Gondor

Nov 28 2012, 10:53pm

Post #14 of 14 (158 views)
Shortcut
Yes, those were scary & patience testing times [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember the who thing like it was yesterday. The films almost didn't get made or almost were made in England... Thanks to the the "Australian Bully Boy" as PJ called him...

sphdle1

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.