Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Two articles in the Dominion Post: Interview with Martin Freeman......

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 8:26pm

Post #1 of 10 (877 views)
Shortcut
Two articles in the Dominion Post: Interview with Martin Freeman...... Can't Post

and Behind the Scenes.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...h-the-Hobbit-himself
http://www.stuff.co.nz/...scenes-of-the-Hobbit

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 3:29am

Post #2 of 10 (275 views)
Shortcut
I've just read them both... thanks for sharing!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 3:46am

Post #3 of 10 (327 views)
Shortcut
Is it just me [In reply to] Can't Post

Or did NONE of the two million on set reporters come back with any new, or interesting, information?

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 5:00am

Post #4 of 10 (290 views)
Shortcut
Non Disclosure Agreement? [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume they all had to sign it.
But there was one intriguing reference in the Martin Freeman interview. I'm surprised that nobody has commented on it.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 5:09am

Post #5 of 10 (273 views)
Shortcut
I didn't notice anything [In reply to] Can't Post

Do tell.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 5:13am

Post #6 of 10 (297 views)
Shortcut
Unless you mean this [In reply to] Can't Post

Freeman has been able to have some input into Bilbo's character. ''I have a fair amount of input. I'm very clear about who is the boss: me.
''I'm very clear that Peter's in charge, and he knows this world better than I do, or better than anyone else does, who's likely to make it in to a film.[But] God, it would have been horrendous to take on a job of this magnitude for this long, to be this far away from my family, to just be told what to do. That'd be awful. So, yeah, I always make sure I cut out enough elbow room for me to get involved, but I completely respect him.
''Everything has to please him [Jackson], but it also has to please me. I guess he's in charge of that, but I'm a close second in terms of my own judgement, and my work, and my own choices for Bilbo. But yeah, there were early moments in the filming where we had to negotiate where I thought Bilbo was and where Peter thought he was. And where Peter thought he was was kind of a surprise to me. I was like, 'Okay. That wasn't quite where I was looking at.'''

Honestly, I trust Freeman's instincts more than PJ's...But that may just be me...

whitetree
The Shire

Nov 10 2012, 6:45am

Post #7 of 10 (253 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that part... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it seems that Martin Freeman is just very candid. The actors from LOTR talked about having input with the writers, and with PJ - in their various ways they all mentioned ideas they had, etc... I think this is more of that kind of thing. Something the reporters said prompted that particular reply, maybe.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 8:44am

Post #8 of 10 (229 views)
Shortcut
I think Moahunter might mean this: [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman:
'[We] were going from Stone Street [Studio's in Wellington's Miramar] up to the set at Mt Crawford, [to] the set of Dale, in a car. [I was] just kind of wondering why people were doing that to me. And I was like, 'Yeah, I'm dressed as Bilbo Baggins'.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 9:22am

Post #9 of 10 (227 views)
Shortcut
In "Behind the Scenes in The Hobbit", this is new, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

Re: orcs:
"Their makeup and prosthetics look unfinished in The Hobbit, orc faces are transformed by computer-generated visual effects but they still look menacing."

And this about prosthetics:
"We're using a product called Plat Gel, and it's pretty amazing stuff. It's a lot easier to work with, it's much more durable than what it was, because John Rhys-Davies, he wore a silicon face with gelatin eye bags. By the middle of the day, we always had to replace the eye bags because of the heat. The body heat would just melt it away and expose the silicon underneath. So these are actually waterproof, sweatproof, heatproof, everything-proof, basically. Fireproof. And they look fantastic on."

And the comments by Freeman about not really being left alone in Wellington are pretty funny.

A well-written and entertaining article. It gave a real sense of what it's like to wander around a studio, the people to be met and the day-to-day happenings.

Perhaps you've been well and truly Hobbit saturated, amico mio. There is a hint of ennui in your complaint. Evil

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 10 2012, 5:31pm

Post #10 of 10 (191 views)
Shortcut
MrCere certainly did [In reply to] Can't Post

but they were working on films 2 & 3 while he was there, so he can't share anything until after the first film is released. Stay tuned...

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.