Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
the ultimate dilema

TheCoon
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 2:31am

Post #1 of 11 (771 views)
Shortcut
the ultimate dilema Can't Post

my fellow TORNers i come to you gor guidance

the recent list release has let me with an intresting choice that sadly i must make

i have the means to view one or the other

but due to geographical constraints it will take a miricale to see both

so i have made this thread ot ask you were this dilema your own what your choice would be and why

HFR 3D or IMAX 3D

make ur choice the subj and ur reason the post

(This post was edited by TheCoon on Nov 9 2012, 2:32am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2012, 2:35am

Post #2 of 11 (350 views)
Shortcut
HFR 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it's the format PJ says he intended the movies to be seen in, and I want to see this controversial new tech for myself.

Silverlode

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 2:59am

Post #3 of 11 (314 views)
Shortcut
HFR 3D as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

My favourite movies have been shot using 38mm. That is the look that I think fits Cinema best. However, I'm looking at the 48fps as something separate from classic cinema. It's just a totally new experience all together.

I'm seeing it in 48fps for my first time. But I'm not going to let it ruin my opinion of the film if I don't like it. Besides, after it's out of theatres, you won't ever have to view it in the higher frame rate again.

I love the look of classic cinema as much as the next film buff, but i don't see the oppression in trying something totally different Smile

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

TheCoon
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 3:02am

Post #4 of 11 (311 views)
Shortcut
update [In reply to] Can't Post

the webiste for the theatre showing HFR 3D says something about an XD screen ive seen imax but never heard of this XD anyone seen a film on this? how would it compare to IMAX?

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 3:06am

Post #5 of 11 (306 views)
Shortcut
I'm seeing it on an XD screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Basically, it's Cinemark's brand of IMAX. It's a huge, slightly curved screen, with the best projection and sound available in their chain.

TheCoon
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 3:16am

Post #6 of 11 (293 views)
Shortcut
intresting [In reply to] Can't Post

good points already see the thing is its gonna be a pain in the ass getting there from my house no matter which theater i choose so i am trying to make sure its worth it lets keep this rolling a bit longer more specifically now

IMAX 3D (w/o HFR) or HFR 3D on an XD screen

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 3:22am

Post #7 of 11 (294 views)
Shortcut
It really all comes down to one thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you want to see it in the higher frame rate or not? An XD screen will give you the feeling of seeing it in IMAX (trust me). So All you have to decide is what to do with the frame rate that is given to youWink

TheCoon
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 4:28am

Post #8 of 11 (255 views)
Shortcut
then its obvious [In reply to] Can't Post

me and my Fellowship who plans on gathering to see this film togwther have been gathering these past few eweeks to convert someone and were doing quite well weve gotten her through FOTR and TTT wand shes axious for ROTK...AT THE ROTK SCREENING I SHALL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING

TheCoon
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 5:02am

Post #9 of 11 (242 views)
Shortcut
thanks guys [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah ill basicszlly just have to say "well this other place has these special screens that are awesome" but in normal situations i really know this stuff and they know that so it sohuldnt be hard :)

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 3:43pm

Post #10 of 11 (171 views)
Shortcut
IMAX = Been there, done that. HFR = New Technology [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that enough said? Basically, HFR is the new technology, so I would go for that above all else (I'm even choosing it here over standard 2D as I normally avoid 3D - but gotta see this the way PJ intends). IMAX is like - been there, done that - feeling. Nothing special about it anymore, compared with HFR, right? :)

sam90
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 5:16pm

Post #11 of 11 (145 views)
Shortcut
Kind of 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a solution: go for RealD 3D! Tongue

That's basically what I am gonna do since I can go to an IMAX or HFR 3D theater. At least I will be able to see the first movie in it's orignal version, in English if there isn't any last second changes. Anyway I am sure the RealD 3D of The Hobbit can be convincing after all I was amazed by the result of Avatar in this mode so it isn't so bad though probably not the best 3D.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.