Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What are You?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 1 2012, 5:05pm

Post #1 of 32 (602 views)
Shortcut
What are You? Can't Post

Sicne my last Main topic bombed out I will try again.

What Middle Earth race do you fancy yourself as? Are you Valar, Maiar, Eldar(Elves), Edain(Men), Numenorian, Dwarf, Hobbit, Orc, Nazgul (not really a race but sure why not)? Any other of the ones I missed here?

Personally I have always loved the Elves, the Teleri to be specific, only because they do more wood work and thats one of my hobbies so I just kind of went with it. So yes I would say i would be an elf, though their prospects in eternity leave me wondering if that's a good choice.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Nov 1 2012, 5:52pm

Post #2 of 32 (332 views)
Shortcut
If I could choose (which, sadly, wouldn't be possible in reality, even in M-E reality).. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be a Maiar in the form of an Elf whilst in Middle-Earth (like a male version of Melian, but like Cirdan in appearance, i.e. with eyes "as keen as stars" and with grey hair). My name would be Saelon ("Wise One" in Sindarin) and I'd be an accomplished lore-master.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Nov 1 2012, 5:54pm)

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 1 2012, 5:56pm

Post #3 of 32 (309 views)
Shortcut
Well chosen, well thought out. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a whole character design I used for my choice. I like to write and as an exercise I do writing or story creation using Tolkien's world as a backdrop to develop characters and back stories. My favorite is my name choice for this board. He was one of the elves who awoke at Cuivenin, he followed the rest into the west and was of Olwe's people, he came back east seeking Feanor after the sack of Alqualonde seeking some kind of revenge for the slaying of his people and the theft of his ship. I'd give you more, but then it would fill up the thread, and I'd be accused of hijacking my own topic Wink

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Nov 1 2012, 6:06pm

Post #4 of 32 (255 views)
Shortcut
Then we share a common interest [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a really interesting background and very well structured. I've only read The Silmarillion twice (and the first time you only really grasp the basics), so I have to keep referring to it when I write, which slows things down considerably.

I love to write about fictional characters with their own stories/backgrounds in Tolkien's universe (I've written and planned backstories for both this character and all the other characters in his family, including his siblings, parents, grandparents, spouse, children etc.)

Like you I'd give more but don't want to fill the thread!Laugh

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 1 2012, 6:12pm

Post #5 of 32 (269 views)
Shortcut
We'll have to find a place to swap some stories some day [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 1 2012, 9:06pm

Post #6 of 32 (270 views)
Shortcut
First Age Elf! [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone will do. Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 1 2012, 11:12pm

Post #7 of 32 (251 views)
Shortcut
Hobbity... all the way :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And my license plate announces it everywhere I go ;)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 1 2012, 11:53pm

Post #8 of 32 (245 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood Elf [In reply to] Can't Post

I love elves, and I like forests. Being an elf of Mirkwood would suit me fine.

imin
Valinor

Nov 2 2012, 12:02am

Post #9 of 32 (298 views)
Shortcut
Even sad, lonely Daeron? :P [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you are right though, the first age was the best and the best out of them, were the first age elves. Hard to pick just one.

Maybe fingolfin?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 2 2012, 4:21am

Post #10 of 32 (228 views)
Shortcut
Dunedain [In reply to] Can't Post

I wander, but am not lost.

Wait, where am I?

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 2 2012, 8:45am

Post #11 of 32 (214 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit here [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first read The Hobbit at 16 I kind of identified with the dwarves but over the years I can relate more to the hobbits. I'm a home loving, comfort loving hobbit through & through!

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 2 2012, 8:48am

Post #12 of 32 (225 views)
Shortcut
I've been pondering a [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien related vanity plate for years. I wonder if that one is taken in Maryland? I've also considered Perian which would be a bit less obvious.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 2 2012, 9:05am

Post #13 of 32 (254 views)
Shortcut
Well... I just did a DMV search [In reply to] Can't Post

for Maryland... and it says hobbity and perian are both free :D

I went on a Quest a few years ago to get "hobbity" in every state!! *snigger* HOBBITS EVERYWHERE!

DMV search

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 2 2012, 9:11am

Post #14 of 32 (231 views)
Shortcut
You're awesome gramma. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is all.

Laugh

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

acheron
Gondor

Nov 2 2012, 10:56am

Post #15 of 32 (301 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of Tolkien license plates [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted a few years ago how I saw the Virginia plate ANDURIL once. Well, about two weeks ago I saw it again! I wonder who it is...

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Nov 2 2012, 11:07am

Post #16 of 32 (215 views)
Shortcut
Other. [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob. Because I am cranky, bloated, and toxic. Wink

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 2 2012, 11:34am

Post #17 of 32 (196 views)
Shortcut
I would go for [In reply to] Can't Post

a decendant of Prince Faramir who inhabited Ithilien after the War of the Ring, and who still remembers Prince Faramir and his wife Princess Eowyn with great pride and fondness.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Nov 2 2012, 11:37am)

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 2 2012, 11:37am

Post #18 of 32 (240 views)
Shortcut
I thought of you the other day [In reply to] Can't Post

I was behind a pickup truck on 696 with the license plate "HOBBITT" and I thought, well since gramma has HOBBITY, the closest they could come was HOBBIT-T.

Was a lovely man driving who looked like he grew up in the 60s.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

The Party Tree
Lorien

Nov 2 2012, 5:14pm

Post #19 of 32 (257 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit, for sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a hobbit at heart and I look the part to boot! I didn't always like my curly hair but I've learned to embrace it :)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 2 2012, 7:46pm

Post #20 of 32 (221 views)
Shortcut
It's probably [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn.

Macfeast
Rohan

Nov 2 2012, 9:37pm

Post #21 of 32 (227 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf. [In reply to] Can't Post

And with that, comes the beard, though sadly not one long enough to braid yet. Hopefully, I might be able to pull of some Fíli-esque moustache braids (relatively) soon, though.

Also, in LOTRO (the MMO), I have six dwarf characters, with a family tree written which dates at least two generations back; I've composed characters, with backstories, that I won't actually play, just to flesh out the ones I do play.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Nov 2 2012, 9:39pm)

ValarNienna
The Shire

Nov 2 2012, 10:23pm

Post #22 of 32 (182 views)
Shortcut
I've always wanted to be an elf... [In reply to] Can't Post

... But I don't think I'm tall, graceful, proud or aloof enough for that. Although the proudness and aloofness seems mostly Noldorian so I could pretend I'm tall and graceful and be one of the Sindar. They seem a bit more down-to-earth not having seen the light of the Valar but still having a Maiar Queen to enlighten them.
If I'm honest with myself though I think I'm of the race of Men- hopefully with some Numenorian blood Wink

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 2 2012, 10:55pm

Post #23 of 32 (190 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! Then that means the car I saw with Elrond plates . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

(Upstate NY, right after FOTR) Cool

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 3 2012, 1:47am

Post #24 of 32 (172 views)
Shortcut
BA-DUM-DUM! [In reply to] Can't Post

GOOD ONE!! :D

sample

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 3 2012, 1:52am

Post #25 of 32 (152 views)
Shortcut
Hey FF! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

*waves madly* Oh man! I love it! :D

Remember when deej (who was living south of me at the time) saw a car go sailing by her on freeway with the license plate "hobbity", and Kimi in NZ told her it was me? *snigger* The world is large, TORn is juuuust right ;)

sample

sample

Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.