Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hollywood Reporter: Inside PJ's "The Hobbit".
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 4:25pm

Post #1 of 63 (2318 views)
Shortcut
The Hollywood Reporter: Inside PJ's "The Hobbit". Can't Post

The Hollywood Reporter have an article on their website (and in their current magazine), in which they discuss the in's and out's of the upcoming film.

Here is the link and some pictures!

A snippet:

Watching on a monitor, tucked out of sight, is Peter Jackson, the magician of Middle Earth. He had to overcome many reservations and obstacles before occupying the director's chair on this massive project, among them the challenge of competing against himself. The Lord of the Rings trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion, and the final installment, 2003's The Return of the King, swept up 11 Oscars, including best director and best picture.

Some minor spoilers. Enjoy! Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 17 2012, 4:32pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 4:33pm

Post #2 of 63 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone want to decipher this for us that are uneducated in runes? [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

Angelic

Thanks!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 17 2012, 4:48pm

Post #3 of 63 (1138 views)
Shortcut
Oooooooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pictures! Love the one of PJ with Elrond and Gandalf. So excited to see Elrond in action again Smile

Now on to the article!

ETA - OH!! Bilbo's bedroom!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Oct 17 2012, 4:49pm)

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Oct 17 2012, 4:58pm

Post #4 of 63 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info, DanielLB! [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband and I subscribe, so I'll hover at the mailbox until our print copy arrives. I'm glad we're starting to get more information from the studio publicity machine.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 17 2012, 5:05pm

Post #5 of 63 (1097 views)
Shortcut
It was a nice article [In reply to] Can't Post

A very nice and pretty thorough review of all we've been through. Very informative and a great read. Lots more details than I had heard before, especially about the MGM crisis, etc.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Oct 17 2012, 5:05pm

Post #6 of 63 (1136 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea of gollum's boat. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lindele
Gondor

Oct 17 2012, 5:52pm

Post #7 of 63 (1058 views)
Shortcut
It provides an interesting perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

Amidst all of the complaining about the movies etc, it is so refreshing to be reminded how incredilby difficult the road to making these films was. Reading the article brought back some painful memories. No matter what 'problems' the films ultimately have, and no matter what people think of them, I am so thankful that we are going to have them...and I am more thankful that PJ is the man on the job.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Oct 17 2012, 6:13pm

Post #8 of 63 (1088 views)
Shortcut
The runes are Anglo-Saxon futhorc and read: ----spoilers---- [In reply to] Can't Post

"Supplies of pipeweed are desperately low. If we do not find some very soon one of our few remaining pleasures will be a thing of the past."

#dwarfproblems

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 17 2012, 6:58pm

Post #9 of 63 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Thorin and Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Bilbo Baggins -- played by Martin Freeman...eavesdrops from behind a tree as dwarf leader Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) scornfully denounces him for deserting his comrades in arms. "We will not be seeing our hobbit again," sneers Thorin at Gandalf (Ian McKellen)

This is very very interesting. It is obviously after the Misty Mountains episode. But what is odd is Thorin's attitude. Ian Mckellen said in his blog that he was very stern with the dwarves after the Misty Mountains, and I hardly think that anybody would sneer to Gandalf about something after a stern speech from him about it. But this must be part of Thorin and Gandalf's "deteriorating relationship" that RA talked about.

This should be a good part though! I can see it going something like this:

Gandalf: "You careless dwarves! Why did you have to leave him behind!"

Thorin: "He deserted us out of fear! We will not be seeing our hobbit again."

Bilbo: *takes ring off and steps from behind the tree* "Why, yes you will! Here he is now!"

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Oct 17 2012, 7:00pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 7:04pm

Post #10 of 63 (967 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Question is, is this Ori's book, or Bilbo's?

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Oct 17 2012, 7:50pm

Post #11 of 63 (936 views)
Shortcut
I'm betting it's Ori's. [In reply to] Can't Post

The book Ori is clutching in the original photo-release of him and his 2 brothers appears to be a similar grey-green color.

As a side note, this little notebook appears to be too small to represent the Book of Mazarbul. I wonder if they will find a way to link Ori with the poor dead scribe from Moria (other than a bookish personality)?

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 17 2012, 8:04pm

Post #12 of 63 (930 views)
Shortcut
oh how I would love [In reply to] Can't Post

to be in that editing suite with PJ, telling him that I want to see all the extra footage from LOTR that he has in his secret cupboard. and I know he has a secret cupboard, thats where he keeps his Mars Bars and crisps.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 17 2012, 9:34pm

Post #13 of 63 (826 views)
Shortcut
Missed a word in there. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Supplies of pipeweed are running
desperately low. If we do not find
some very soon one of our few rem
aining pleasures will be a thing of the past."

That gets hard to read in places, doesn't it - you did well with the transliteration!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Oct 17 2012, 9:41pm

Post #14 of 63 (805 views)
Shortcut
Whoops! [In reply to] Can't Post

It does indeed get tricky. Ori's handwriting ain't the best, it would seem. Though, at least it wasn't in Khuzdul.

kjeevah
Bree

Oct 17 2012, 10:01pm

Post #15 of 63 (813 views)
Shortcut
PJ is so tiny [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea he was in fact a hobbit

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...bbit_still_5_a_h.jpg

;)

(This post was edited by kjeevah on Oct 17 2012, 10:01pm)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Oct 18 2012, 2:49am

Post #16 of 63 (698 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Eruonen
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 4:46am

Post #17 of 63 (664 views)
Shortcut
I saw the reference to "Age of the Hobbits" [In reply to] Can't Post

and thought it was a video game, but no, it is a movie about the relict humanoid Indonesian "hobbits" so called by their small size.

http://www.theasylum.cc/product.php?id=215

By the way, they are being sued over the name.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...n-age-hobbits-377892

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Oct 18 2012, 4:48am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 4:50am

Post #18 of 63 (700 views)
Shortcut
Interesting bit on Del Toro's possible rationale for leaving [In reply to] Can't Post

Some close to del Toro suspect the story was a bit more complicated than that. "Do I think Peter wanted to take over The Hobbit? No," says one insider. "But he was going to be involved one way or the other, and as an artist, Guillermo wanted to make his version of the movie. I think he wondered: 'How much of an imprint can I put on this? … Do I want to spend years of my life being caretaker of someone else's franchise?' "

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 4:54am

Post #19 of 63 (683 views)
Shortcut
It is pure speculation but [In reply to] Can't Post

It has a the ring of truth to me

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 18 2012, 5:50am

Post #20 of 63 (661 views)
Shortcut
As long as we're speculating [In reply to] Can't Post

First, no, this isn't going where it went the last time Angelic (if no one remembers that's fine with me).

Second, perhaps you would know better than I Voronwe, but wasn't the clock ticking to get something moving or risk losing the film rights? IIRC PJ had to have something in the works inside of 10 years from the start of the last project or the rights would revert back to Zanetz or whomever...

if so [speculation]As PJ was busy with a couple other projects as the deadline approached, he was compelled to hire a director at least to get things rolling until he was free to play a larger role in the production himself.[/speculation]

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 18 2012, 5:51am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 18 2012, 7:17am

Post #21 of 63 (631 views)
Shortcut
I might be wrong in saying this ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But whenever I see "an insider says" I just roll my eyes, and think "yeah, right!". Evil

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 18 2012, 8:46am

Post #22 of 63 (607 views)
Shortcut
It sounds very plausible to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Del Toro is a man with a very distinct style. Even ignoring PJ, The Hobbit's financial backers are looking for prequels to three hugely successful movies, not a stand alone adaptation with a completely different style and look.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 18 2012, 9:28am

Post #23 of 63 (598 views)
Shortcut
I think all speculation on del Toro's departure is just that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Individuals will bend the facts to fit what ever preconceived notion they have and continue to believe what they will. Personally I would like to believe the best of all of those involved and that their motivations and regrets were sincere and deeply felt. It makes no sense to sensationalize the situation. This criticism I aim at no one in particular but at the rehash of the events in general. Suffice it to say that Guillermo left and Peter remains and The Hobbit will be all Mr. Jackson's.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 18 2012, 9:35am

Post #24 of 63 (571 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no reason to suppose anything sinister, or leading to ill feeling.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 9:42am

Post #25 of 63 (589 views)
Shortcut
Great article [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I am disheartened that something I predicted has begun in earnest, and I hoped it wouldn't: the "de-Del Toro-ization" of TH. Though great pains are still being taken to note here the contributions he made during the "early" part of the process, it seems he is being written out, and not just b/c of Jackson's penchant for script revisions during film-making. It's perfectly understandable why he might not get a screenwiting credit on the third film (no such animal of course existed then, and as much of the film might consist of Appendices material, del Toro was of course not involved) but if a lot of Film 1 was pushed to Film 2, I can't see how Del Toro was not involved in the "DNA" of that script. Esp with Smaug. I will be *very* disappointed if Guillermo's name is not seen in the screenwriting credits for TDOS. 2 years of hard work for nothing? The article also did not mention that martin Freeman was also Guillermo's first choice for Bilbo; readers unfamilar with all the twists and turns of the project might think that it was Peter Jackson alone who was respnsible for such a brilliant casting choice.
Also, while he might not want to share which parts of Guillermo's "DNA" ended up onscreen sight unseen, I hope he will be more forthcoming once the project is in the public eye. I think I can name a couple already: Thranduil's crown, the axe in a certain Dwarf's head, as well as some of the other Dwarf designs....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.