Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Neil Finn of 'Crowded House' provides the end title song for An Unexpected Journey
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 12:21pm

Post #26 of 62 (777 views)
Shortcut
That's cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure he'll make something great, possibly from Bilbo's point of view. Smile I did like the women's songs though in LOTR, but I'm sure this will still be good even if it will be a bit different.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 1:02pm

Post #27 of 62 (764 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree on both points. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think female voices can achieve that ethereal sound that was so in keeping with the LotR, especially about the elves. Gollum's theme was perfect, imho, although I know many don't agree. But the male chorus used inside Moria is an indicator that male voices will be seen as appropriate for the dwarves.

Permanent address: Into the West

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 9 2012, 2:41pm

Post #28 of 62 (712 views)
Shortcut
Great Choice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is Mr. Finn with Crowded House.

Here

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2012, 3:40pm

Post #29 of 62 (709 views)
Shortcut
This led to an acoustic of Don't Dream It's Over [In reply to] Can't Post

It was #2 in America (watch all the way through) Wink

http://www.youtube.com/...w&feature=relmfu

I love it when they sound as good "live" as they do in the studio.

Ah, this brings back memories. Music has a strange power tied with memories. I look forward to hearing him sing for the movie.

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?

Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Bound
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 3:57pm

Post #30 of 62 (695 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful if true [In reply to] Can't Post

I love crowded house so this is great news if true. I'm not partial to the gender of a singer, as long as the song is good

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 5:34pm

Post #31 of 62 (713 views)
Shortcut
"You ain't heard nothin' yet!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been holding off getting too invested till we heard from a slightly more official site so I've been monitoring Doug Adams' blog all morning.

In response to two comments (on his blog) about Neil, he's just responded: You ain't heard nothin' yet!

So, I will take that as a soft confirmation that the news is accurate.

I'd not heard of him or any of the groups he's associated with before today but I like his voice. I'm not sure the songs he's singing are a 100% to my taste but that doesn't worry me.

I still will be a bit surprised if he writes the words and music, although I will be not quite as surprised if he writes the music. But, I will allow that I may be calling this wrong since I'm going off LOTR and The Hobbit could be a whole new animal.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Fàfnir
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 6:18pm

Post #32 of 62 (696 views)
Shortcut
Will Howard Shore collaborate with him ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that he collaborated with the group Metric for the end title song of the last Cronenberg movie, Metropolis. The result was quite good, by the way. I hope it'll be the same for the Hobbit !

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 7:26pm

Post #33 of 62 (681 views)
Shortcut
I don't know what Shore will do [In reply to] Can't Post

and I don't know, precisely, how the collaboration process worked for LOTR. I'm only considering what happened for LOTR and not any other movie that Shore has written for.

I posted a list of the main 'songs' (other than score singing) that were used in LOTR. Of them, Enya and Roma wrote the two songs Enya did. Shore was not involved at all.

Into The West shared 'music and lyrics' credit between Annie, Howard and Fran. In Dreams shared 'music and lyrics' credit between Fran and Howard. I haven't seen any breakdown about who contributed what in what percentage but I wouldn't think Fran contributed greatly to the melody... although, perhaps she had a tune running through her head and thus she did contribute greatly. Annie might have contributed more to Into the West but both tunes incorporated major themes heard in the score. Those must have been primarily Shore's doing.

I know that the standard for most end of movies songs is that the music is really developed by the artist/s and dropped into the movie - perhaps with no real input or collaboration with the score's composers. But that wasn't the case with LOTR (except for Enya and the diegetic music).

In Dreams, Gollum's Song, and Into the West all pulled from themes heard throughout the score. That isn't (usually?) the case with standard end of the movies songs. Just going on what I know about LOTR, I'd say that Shore will either compose the melody or work in collaboration with Neil. And, I think it matters to everyone, filmmakers and fans alike, that the words are apt and pertinent to the story. That would be harder for a non-Tolkien fan/scholar/aficionadoto to do. Fran and Philippa wrote a lot of lyrics for the score. I think it matters to them.

But, as I said, they may go a different direction for The Hobbit. Great care has been taken to tie this trilogy into the LOTR trilogy. But it's also 10 Years After (got to throw that old rock reference in there). Some things in regards to The Hobbit *are* different than LOTR. And the end of the movie song is part of the 'music' of the movie but it's also a marketing tool. So, I guess we just wait and see.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Snaga
Lorien

Oct 9 2012, 9:39pm

Post #34 of 62 (651 views)
Shortcut
It's kind of funny though... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a teenager back in the early 80's and listened to Crowded House and knew Neil Finn was their lead singer. I even have some of their stuff on my Ipad.

I also got a mix-tape a friend brought me from Los Angeles in 1982 (Southern Cal. was always way ahead of everyone else on the music scene then) that had a few Split Enz songs that I really liked including "I got You." I still have that mix tape and played it for years and years until I finally went full CD in the mid-90's.

The funny part.... until reading this thread I never realized Neil Finn was ALSO the lead singer of Split Enz. I immediately fired up my Iphone and listed to Crowded House and Split Enz and I'm dumbstruck. Usually I'm uncanny at connecting voices. Just not in this case. Crazy

Oh well. He's a great vocalist and wrote some great music, particularly when he was with Crowded House. I'm sure he's going to come up with something really wonderful for the end credits.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 9 2012, 10:13pm

Post #35 of 62 (613 views)
Shortcut
he does have honeyed tones [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope he can get a middle earth feel to his song. like Annie lennox did. and of course Liv did a wonderful job in ROTK.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 9 2012, 11:04pm

Post #36 of 62 (615 views)
Shortcut
That is so funny, Snaga. :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you now looking back on your years listening to Split Enz with an entirely new perspective?

And how strange that The Hobbit, of all things, would finally make that connection for you!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

mandel
Rivendell

Oct 9 2012, 11:32pm

Post #37 of 62 (614 views)
Shortcut
Liz Fraser [In reply to] Can't Post

I've said this before, but I'd love to hear Liz Fraser (who sang the Lament for Gandalf) in one of TH films. I doubt it will happen, but to my mind, she has the ideally elven voice...

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 10 2012, 12:20am

Post #38 of 62 (601 views)
Shortcut
Just go to youtube and pull up Don't Dream it's over by Crowded House [In reply to] Can't Post

Make sure to get an original, Crowded house version. I am really surprised you haven't heard the song.

In Reply To
I presume he's a great singer, based on responses. I'll like him based on all your views then! Cool

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 10 2012, 12:48am

Post #39 of 62 (603 views)
Shortcut
Johnny Marr? [In reply to] Can't Post

Neil Finn worked with Johnny Marr too? That rocks! Johnny Marr is very talented and awesome.

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 10 2012, 5:16am

Post #40 of 62 (564 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

You sound like me with being "ahead of the curve" on music and no knowing who was who. We had a fantastic indie rock station, WEOX, from Manchester, Vermont (it's still around, BTW) that was just as hip. We also heard Crowded House when they were Split Enz, so to speak, we heard the very first G N' R back when they were still playing LA clubs in '86/87, we heard Pearl Jam back in 1988/89 when they were Mother Love Bone ("I' don't mind stealin' bread/I'm going hungrrryyy..") , I wouldn't be surprised if they had played U2 back when they were still The Hype. Sly I remember being confused about CH and thinking, "that has GOT to be Neil Finn. But how can he be in 2 bands at once?" But soon he wasn't, of course. This was like hearing Pearl Jam's "Ten" and thinking "wait a minute..that's the guy from Mother Love Bone, but they've only had one big song....hey wait a minute, did they break up?!?" Funny how things work eh?

About Mr Finn..I will add only one thing to all this: I didn't know he was a Kiwi. I thought I recognized his accent...esp in words like "better" ("bittah.") Thanks to Peter and crew, I can now spot a Kiwi accent anywhereSly

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Oct 10 2012, 5:19am)

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 10 2012, 5:39am

Post #41 of 62 (546 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to the link to Doug's blog! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really excited now. I don;t see why Shore would break his LOTR tradtion in this regard--some things change, some remain the same. I'd fully expect that whatever he and Neil come up with, the melody would derive from something heard in the film. I've gone back and listened to some recent footage of him with the newly reunited Crowded House, and other performance from the past 2 yrs, and wth his present voice, can see him "evoking" Bilbo perfectly, Bilbo's sense of innocence and yearning.

Padfoot
Bree

Oct 10 2012, 7:25am

Post #42 of 62 (536 views)
Shortcut
Neil Finn & the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, my hopes are coming true. I'm a huge Fann of Neil's music and songwriting, and I've been thinking for quite some time that it would be great if he were to do the credit song. I'm all positive about it and now I'm really excited and very, very much looking forward to this.

signature by kiteflier with kind permission of http://richardarmitagenet.com

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 10 2012, 7:29am

Post #43 of 62 (551 views)
Shortcut
Yep, and Eddie Vedder, [In reply to] Can't Post

and with Phil Selway from Radiohead, and lots of others. You might be interested in '7 Worlds Collide', which is the project they got together on.

Padfoot
Bree

Oct 10 2012, 7:59am

Post #44 of 62 (521 views)
Shortcut
7 worlds collide [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds interesting. I'll do some searching! Wink

tolktolk
Lorien

Oct 10 2012, 8:19am

Post #45 of 62 (536 views)
Shortcut
Agree with everyone else [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Crowded House too, some of their melodies are really lovely, and I defy anyone not to sing along whenever Weather With You pops up on the radio!

Padfoot
Bree

Oct 10 2012, 8:52am

Post #46 of 62 (518 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

You'd loseWink Because everyone sings along with that song! WinkWink

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 10 2012, 9:20am

Post #47 of 62 (508 views)
Shortcut
There were two lead singers in Split Enz [In reply to] Can't Post

Neil Finn, and his brother, Tim. Although they harmonise together beautifully, they do sound different when you hear them separately. This may account for the apparent fail of your usual voice connection skills!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2012, 1:40pm

Post #48 of 62 (514 views)
Shortcut
not to nit pick [In reply to] Can't Post

But "Hunger Strike" was Temple of the Dog not Pearl Jam, and the whole TotD thing was conceived by Chris Cornell from Soundgarden, But I know where your coming from with Mother Love Bone. I remember hearing GnR when they were GLAM and called Hollywood Rose Angelic by the way.

As far as Crowded House went I always thought they were Australian shows what I know LOLWink

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 10 2012, 2:42pm

Post #49 of 62 (499 views)
Shortcut
They are Australian... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 10 2012, 4:55pm

Post #50 of 62 (480 views)
Shortcut
*blush* [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG..you're right...Temple of the Dog...I remember the video though! And I have to admit that I didn't know G N'R's origional name either, though I read a book on them once...OK..I pose a trivia question for you then...when were U2 "the Hype" and what was Bono's last name then (his full nick) and where did it come from? And though I said EQX might have played them when they were "The Hype" it might not have been possible...though it MIGHT....and why not?
(Hey, since you called me out....:Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.