Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
3D Posters, Videos
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

narflet
Bree

Oct 9 2012, 3:12pm

Post #1 of 32 (2720 views)
Shortcut
3D Posters, Videos Can't Post

It seems that Eclipse Advertising are doing work for The Hobbit, and have posted on their facebook page two videos of The Hobbit 3D posters that were displayed at ComicCon. So far they've only posted Kili and Dori, but hopefully they might put more up.

Watch Kili here and Dori here. The gifs were found here.

I searched and couldn't see that anyone else had posted this. Hope it's in the right place.

(This post was edited by narflet on Oct 9 2012, 3:13pm)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 3:16pm

Post #2 of 32 (825 views)
Shortcut
This is awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm beside myself. I love 3D.Wink

Permanent address: Into the West

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2012, 3:16pm

Post #3 of 32 (832 views)
Shortcut
Nice find! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would love to see everything. Dunno why WB don't release them (even just in 2D), they are great character posters.

narflet
Bree

Oct 9 2012, 3:22pm

Post #4 of 32 (783 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping that if I keep watching their page (and maybe if more people comment?) we'll hopefully get some more.

I hope they are released just as flat 2D images too. I think they give a good sense of the personality of each character. I think they might eventually do so, as part of the Gandalf one was used as a background image for the ipad app.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2012, 3:23pm

Post #5 of 32 (782 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Comic-Con posters were probably the best bits of advertising (after the first teaser) to me. Hope they post the rest, and thanks for the links. :)

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 3:25pm

Post #6 of 32 (833 views)
Shortcut
I've enjoyed seeing this on my iPad..yes, yes, I know everyone here knows [In reply to] Can't Post

how much of a technincompoop I am. But I was given an iPad for my birthday, and I managed to find out how to download that app. It's marvelous.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 3:32pm

Post #7 of 32 (767 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! But kind of creepy at the same time! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 4:05pm

Post #8 of 32 (734 views)
Shortcut
I was looking for this kind of image (or video) during Comic-con reporting [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the link.

I highly expect these to make theater lobbies soon. I don't go to full price movies very often (we have this really nice second run theater near us I go to much more often). But I will be thrilled the first time I catch one of these. I hope it's Thorin, when I do. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Apatcha
The Shire

Oct 9 2012, 4:14pm

Post #9 of 32 (738 views)
Shortcut
They look great! [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks just so real. I hope they release all of them, because I love it. Especially the way how Dori's splashed ale looks.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Oct 9 2012, 4:29pm

Post #10 of 32 (709 views)
Shortcut
This is off-topic, but [In reply to] Can't Post

is that a new shot of Radagast as your avatar, Apatcha? I don't remember seeing it before

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2012, 4:33pm

Post #11 of 32 (653 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! Thanks for sharing// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 4:36pm

Post #12 of 32 (670 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand clapping* These are GREAT! THANKS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Ffnir
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 4:40pm

Post #13 of 32 (697 views)
Shortcut
They're not awesome, they're terrifying ! =O // [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2012, 4:42pm

Post #14 of 32 (661 views)
Shortcut
Anyone know why it's possible to create 3D still images such as this where one doesn't need glasses [In reply to] Can't Post

but it doesn't seem doable for a film? It has to do with the difference in medium/movement of characters I assume? Thanks. :)

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

narflet
Bree

Oct 9 2012, 4:47pm

Post #15 of 32 (684 views)
Shortcut
Newish, from the stamps... [In reply to] Can't Post

See the page here and direct link to image here.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 4:54pm

Post #16 of 32 (652 views)
Shortcut
I think it's just an illusion of three d [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a series of images that cycle one after the other. Each image shows the elements in that image from a different angle. That means that each image was taken at a different angle. When they cycle the images, it appears that the point of perspective is changing.

Each of your eye is seeing the same image and you are not getting the impression that some parts of that image are closer to you than others. That type of illusion, which involves sending different images to each eye, will let something appear three d with a static image.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 5:06pm

Post #17 of 32 (617 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if it will seem to splash out on us during the film... [In reply to] Can't Post

neat/coolness.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 5:08pm

Post #18 of 32 (588 views)
Shortcut
It's Dori's eyes ... I can't stop looking at them! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DarkJackal
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 5:12pm

Post #19 of 32 (578 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

narflet
Bree

Oct 9 2012, 5:22pm

Post #20 of 32 (606 views)
Shortcut
They must work on the same principal as a stereoscopic image... [In reply to] Can't Post

... which basically just works on the principle of how eyes work (as does all photography really). We see in 3D, and not 2D, by our left and right eye being about 20 degrees apart. So each eye sees different angles, and we perceive a 3D image. Try walking around for a while with one eye shut, your depth perception totally goes.

So, for a stereoscopic image, two photos are taken at about 20 degrees apart, and then viewed together. Stereoscopic photographs used to be quite vogue in the late 1800s/early 1900s and a viewer was used to combine the images in to a 3D picture. It's very easy to do the same thing nowadays, but instead of using a viewer the images can be animated to flick between the 1st and 2nd and trick the brain in to thinking it's 3D.

Look at these amazing stereoscopic images from the American civil war to get an idea.

So, these must work like that somehow, but using more than just two images to trick your brain in to seeing depth.

Hope that all made sense, and was helpful.

(This post was edited by narflet on Oct 9 2012, 5:24pm)

Apatcha
The Shire

Oct 9 2012, 5:39pm

Post #21 of 32 (544 views)
Shortcut
Might help [In reply to] Can't Post

Just take your umbrella with you and I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.

namarie
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 6:39pm

Post #22 of 32 (485 views)
Shortcut
wow! Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

There is always hope

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 9 2012, 6:49pm

Post #23 of 32 (481 views)
Shortcut
Loved these [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't quit stopping by to check these out. If thy sell them I will get them without a doubt.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 7:10pm

Post #24 of 32 (467 views)
Shortcut
memories of Rocky Horror drift through my mind // [In reply to] Can't Post

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 7:22pm

Post #25 of 32 (467 views)
Shortcut
it's simple [In reply to] Can't Post

just put the film screen on hinges and have a machine rock it back and forth gently creating the 3D illusion without the need for glasses. Wink Angelic

this is why they pay me the big bucks. Cool

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.