Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Neil Finn of 'Crowded House' provides the end title song for An Unexpected Journey
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 8 2012, 5:27pm

Post #1 of 62 (2745 views)
Shortcut
Neil Finn of 'Crowded House' provides the end title song for An Unexpected Journey Can't Post

According to Peter Green, at this website, a song by New Zealand musician Neil Finn will be used during the end credits of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.  Finn has recorded extensively, as a solo artist and also with bands such as Split Enz and Pajama Club; he is perhaps best known as lead singer and guitarist with Crowded House.  We don't yet know anything more about this song, but will update as soon as we do!  Given that all three end credit songs for the Lord of the Rings movies were performed by women, it will be exciting to hear a male voice at the end of the first Hobbit movie.  The soundtracks for Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King were released at the end of November in their respective years, but the Two Towers soundtrack didn't come out until 10th December 2002; let's hope we get an end of November release date for the Unexpected Journey soundtrack!

Thanks to Peter and to ringer spy Dennis for the heads up!

jtarkey
Rohan

Oct 8 2012, 11:19pm

Post #2 of 62 (1316 views)
Shortcut
I can live with this [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a strong feeling they would use a male vocalist for the film the whole time. Although my pick was Sam Beam of Iron and Wine, this will also do well.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 8 2012, 11:31pm

Post #3 of 62 (1232 views)
Shortcut
He's a very good lyracist. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very interested to see what he comes up with for the film.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2012, 11:32pm

Post #4 of 62 (1289 views)
Shortcut
I prefer female vocalists. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it makes a change and it fits with the whole dwarf theme i guess.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2012, 11:33pm

Post #5 of 62 (1246 views)
Shortcut
could be worse... [In reply to] Can't Post

He does have a very subtle smooth voice. can't be too bad

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Oct 8 2012, 11:43pm

Post #6 of 62 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

listened to Split Enz a lot when I was living in New Zealand. This is perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7DgREshAk

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Ffnir
Rohan

Oct 8 2012, 11:43pm

Post #7 of 62 (1161 views)
Shortcut
I hope he's familiar with the book. Must be exiting for him ! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Oct 9 2012, 12:08am

Post #8 of 62 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Just change the lyrics from "Shark Attack" to "Orc Attack" ... or ... [In reply to] Can't Post

"I've just spent Six Hours in a Leaky Barrel?"

NAArP since 2011*

*Not An Ardent Purist

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 9 2012, 12:41am

Post #9 of 62 (1085 views)
Shortcut
"What more can a poor Dwarf do?" / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 9 2012, 12:42am

Post #10 of 62 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the song "Don't Dream (It's Over" by Crowded House. I've heard a few of their other songs as well and they are good. I did not know Neil Finn performed with Split Enz. I hear them every now and then on First Wave. I love the song "I Got You"! I'm totally cool with this choice. I look forward to hearing the song.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2012, 2:05am

Post #11 of 62 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Yay! I think many of us felt/hoped this would happen, so nice to see it...happen! [In reply to] Can't Post

A male soloist over TH credits really sets it apart from LotR while continuing the tradition of an end titles song, and capturing the mood/energy of the "boys on a treasure hunt" at the center of the story.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 9 2012, 2:46am

Post #12 of 62 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Woot! "Hey now, Heeey now, Don't dream it's over. . ." [In reply to] Can't Post

Great song, great singer.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Spaldron
Rivendell

Oct 9 2012, 3:15am

Post #13 of 62 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Interesting choice [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed, I remember Crowded House from growing up in the 80's, my big brother used to play their records. I'm intrigued as to what it'll sound like. I reckon they've gone with a male voice this time to reflect the Dwarven themes of The Hobbit.

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 9 2012, 3:30am

Post #14 of 62 (987 views)
Shortcut
Very true. I am [In reply to] Can't Post

quite interested to hear the song itself.

In Reply To

Agreed, I remember Crowded House from growing up in the 80's, my big brother used to play their records. I'm intrigued as to what it'll sound like. I reckon they've gone with a male voice this time to reflect the Dwarven themes of The Hobbit.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2012, 3:31am

Post #15 of 62 (971 views)
Shortcut
I think he'll be great he has a very smooth likable voice// [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Oct 9 2012, 3:31am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2012, 3:53am

Post #16 of 62 (966 views)
Shortcut
I've never heard him, nor of him, before [In reply to] Can't Post

So yay Cool

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 9 2012, 4:00am

Post #17 of 62 (962 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Lol...read this earlier today and can't get "Don't Dream It's Over" out of my head....was a huge CH fan back in the day, and that song always made me cry. Yes, he's a great lyricist, and his voice should sound even better 20+ yrs on. So happy for him!
Ironically, I feel better about this than I did back in rhe day hearing about Annie Lennox...couldn't get 'Missionary Man" out of my head, I remember...Laugh..but i trust Howard Shore!

I wonder who or what he is supposed to represent. Each LOTR end song was about or represented a certain character. Enya=the Fellowship? TTT=Gollum's song. And wasn't one of the reasons Shore wanted Annie Lennox so much was that nobody else could "play" Galadriel as well as she, she's supposed to be Galadriel singing?
So will Mr. Finn be representing Bilbo? And other male vocalists other characters for the other 2 films? What "message" might the song arc convey?

I wonder if this is soley his contrubution or if Shore has any input betond the orchestrations. All three shared the Oscar but who did the bulk of writing Into The West? And May It Be?

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Oct 9 2012, 4:05am)

squitzl
The Shire

Oct 9 2012, 4:06am

Post #18 of 62 (959 views)
Shortcut
Haha Neil Finn Probably would've made a fine Bilbo... [In reply to] Can't Post

Also I love this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQsfvD0QbI&feature=fvwrel

(This post was edited by squitzl on Oct 9 2012, 4:06am)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 4:13am

Post #19 of 62 (963 views)
Shortcut
lyrics & music [In reply to] Can't Post

Aniron: Lyrics by Roma Ryan / Music composed and performed by Enya

May It Be: English and Quenya Lyrics by Roma Ryan / Music composed by Enya

In Dreams: Words and Music by Fran Walsh and Howard Shore

Gollum's Song: Music by Howard Shore / Words by Fran Walsh

Use Well the Days: Lyrics by J.R.R. Tolkien, and Philippa Boyens / Music composed by Howard Shore

Into the West: Words and Music by Howard Shore, Fran Walsh, Annie Lennox

Bilbo's Song: Melody by Howard Shore / Words by J.R.R. Tolkien / Sindarin Translation by David Salo

I'd like to get some more official information before commenting much. I'll be a bit surprised if the artists chosen will actually compose their own music or write their own lyrics. Enya was the only example of this (not counting diegetic music) and I think they moved away from that practice as the LOTR trilogy developed. But perhaps the trend isn't linear from FOTR to TABA.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 9 2012, 4:59am

Post #20 of 62 (990 views)
Shortcut
You had the wrong Annie Lennox song in mind. As someone who loved her [In reply to] Can't Post

solo songs, "Why," her rendition of Procol Harem's "A Lighter Shade of Pale," her version of Neil Young's "Don't Let it Bring You Down," as heard on The American Beauty soundtrack, and especially her original Love Song for A Vampire song that was the end theme for Francis Ford Coppola's "Brahm Stoker's Dracula," I knew that she was a perfect choice.

In Reply To
Lol...read this earlier today and can't get "Don't Dream It's Over" out of my head....was a huge CH fan back in the day, and that song always made me cry. Yes, he's a great lyricist, and his voice should sound even better 20+ yrs on. So happy for him!
Ironically, I feel better about this than I did back in rhe day hearing about Annie Lennox...couldn't get 'Missionary Man" out of my head, I remember...Laugh..but i trust Howard Shore!

I wonder who or what he is supposed to represent. Each LOTR end song was about or represented a certain character. Enya=the Fellowship? TTT=Gollum's song. And wasn't one of the reasons Shore wanted Annie Lennox so much was that nobody else could "play" Galadriel as well as she, she's supposed to be Galadriel singing?
So will Mr. Finn be representing Bilbo? And other male vocalists other characters for the other 2 films? What "message" might the song arc convey?

I wonder if this is soley his contrubution or if Shore has any input betond the orchestrations. All three shared the Oscar but who did the bulk of writing Into The West? And May It Be?

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 7:05am

Post #21 of 62 (909 views)
Shortcut
No idea who he is? [In reply to] Can't Post

I presume he's a great singer, based on responses. I'll like him based on all your views then! Cool

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 9 2012, 8:11am

Post #22 of 62 (910 views)
Shortcut
Then watch this [In reply to] Can't Post

He is one of my favourite artists. He had a sterling career with Split Enz, then Crowded House, as well as his solo career. He has also worked extensively with his brother, Tim, his son, Liam, and collaborated with all sorts of artists including Johnny Marr (and don't you dare say you haven't heard of him!)

This is a beautiful version of Distant Sun, a Crowded House song. Enjoy. Smile

Distant Sun live.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 9:17am

Post #23 of 62 (887 views)
Shortcut
*Prepares to duck* [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it just me, but can anyone else hear him singing this?

Unimpressed

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 9 2012, 9:52am

Post #24 of 62 (811 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

He will have to work hard to perfect a good enough warble to do it justice. Laugh

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 9 2012, 10:24am

Post #25 of 62 (810 views)
Shortcut
Fine choice... [In reply to] Can't Post

Neil is one of the best singer-songwriters of the past thirty years in my opinion. I think we're in safe hands.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.