New Hobbit Poster
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 9:56pm

Post #51 of 89 (2258 views)
Shortcut
don't you think that ROTK poster is inappropriate? [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that poster too, but I feel like it would be misleading for a film like AUJ which will be mostly a comedy. Wink

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 27 2012, 9:57pm

Post #52 of 89 (2177 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, not available in Chrome [In reply to] Can't Post

It apparently is only available in IE and Mozilla-based browsers. I like Chrome for some things, but that is one of the reasons that I tend to still mostly use IE.

Sorry to be misleading.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 27 2012, 10:03pm

Post #53 of 89 (2208 views)
Shortcut
Not at all inappropriate [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't mean something exactly like that. But I do want a poster similar to it.

Something like this or this is what I'm looking for.

I just think the LOTR posters were all magnificent, and I'd like some for AUJ like them.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 10:18pm

Post #54 of 89 (2189 views)
Shortcut
Drew Struzan look [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though it is a bit cliche now to represent EPIC, I would certainly not dislike the Hobbit films getting that same kind of treatment (imagine all six hanging on a wall *drool), but at the same time I wonder if it sends the wrong message.

Obviously Peter is making these films epic, but it might be a little misleading to make this story appear more epic in scope than it really is in comparison...

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 27 2012, 10:20pm

Post #55 of 89 (2214 views)
Shortcut
I don't think any of those says "epic" [In reply to] Can't Post

I just think they're all beautiful. And I'd love to get one for each of the hobbit films.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 10:23pm

Post #56 of 89 (2171 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

They just look like great film posters to me. I don't think they say anything about the tone of the films. I'll be disappointed if The Hobbit films don't get the same treatment.

And if they are going for a different tone, and wish to express that in the film posters, just use lighter colours. Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2012, 10:25pm

Post #57 of 89 (2146 views)
Shortcut
I call it the parchment look. [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, i'd love something like that for the Hobbit.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 10:25pm

Post #58 of 89 (2104 views)
Shortcut
gosh [In reply to] Can't Post

if there's one treat from London I miss (besides the ale) it would be all the jaffa cakes I consumed while living there.

I once got one of these boxes
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/...2BYard%2B16x750g.jpg

and ate it all by my lonesome. Blush

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Sep 27 2012, 10:26pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 27 2012, 10:26pm

Post #59 of 89 (2126 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, they're beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

And they don't say anything at all about the tone of the films. It will be a tragedy if we aren't given new ones for these films.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 10:32pm

Post #60 of 89 (2149 views)
Shortcut
I think they are beautiful too [In reply to] Can't Post

All I'm saying is that style has a precedent for being used for films that are marketed as big epics and blockbusters (star wars, blade runner, indiana jones, etc.).

I'm hoping The Hobbit films get the Struzan treatment too, but I feel like this one we received today says that The Hobbit isn't going to just be your typical epic adventure story. It communicates the humor and also the non-conventional heroes we will be treated to.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 10:38pm

Post #61 of 89 (2120 views)
Shortcut
As long as it applies to AUJ only [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS and TABA should be a lot more serious and less comedic.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2012, 10:40pm

Post #62 of 89 (2165 views)
Shortcut
Indiana Jones is the perfect example of a movie that is not serious. // [In reply to] Can't Post

duats
Grey Havens

Sep 27 2012, 11:06pm

Post #63 of 89 (2221 views)
Shortcut
I knew this poster looked familiar.. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://i.imgur.com/Owt2s.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/.../muppetsposterft.jpg

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 11:50pm

Post #64 of 89 (2064 views)
Shortcut
yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

you're so right about that.

What is interesting is the difference between these two Raider's posters

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NHhOq9bmBkQ/T9XWc_CYwCI/AAAAAAAAGYU/KfU6F0gk5Cw/s1600/Raiders+Of+The+Lost+Ark+(1981)+1982+Re-Release+by+Richard+Amsel.jpg

I love this one because it feels big (epic), but FUN and HUMOROUS as well. Really captures the adventure vibe. If AUJ's "Struzan-style" poster captures both sides that would be rad.

Notice another Raider's poster

http://posterwire.com/wp-content/uploads/raiders_of_the_lost_ark.jpg

seems way too serious for what eventually ended up on screen.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 28 2012, 12:21am

Post #65 of 89 (2206 views)
Shortcut
Hahahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombur has food sticking out of his mouth! Hahaha! Didn't expect that. Definitely an original touch...

Sly

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2012, 12:24am

Post #66 of 89 (1958 views)
Shortcut
I'm smelling sarcasm. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eolin of Rohan
The Shire

Sep 28 2012, 1:22am

Post #67 of 89 (1975 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a great movie poster, I wish the hobbit poster was more like that.

alienorchid
Lorien

Sep 28 2012, 11:02am

Post #68 of 89 (1974 views)
Shortcut
I like it, overall [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that there is a more comedic and light-hearted poster as well as the more sombre Gandalf in the shire poster.

Movie posters should give some indication of the tone and content of a movie, and since it seems that TH is going to have more light and fun moments, compared to the seriousness of LotR, it seems appropriate for the posters to reflect this.

I also wonder if the posters we will see for the next two movies might be more 'serious', as TH gets darker and more sinister as the story progresses.

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 28 2012, 12:18pm

Post #69 of 89 (1893 views)
Shortcut
It does what it's designed to [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife, who likes the Tolkien movies but is not a fan in the sense that we all are Wink, asked me yesterday if I'd seen the new Hobbit poster. She'd received it from an equally unfannish friend, who thought it was cute. So that suggests it has been effective from a marketing perspective.

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 28 2012, 12:21pm

Post #70 of 89 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if the same individual is behind all three, or if this is just the industry's standard imitation.

And thanks for forcing me to be aware that the dwarves totally look like Muppets.

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Sep 28 2012, 12:22pm)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 28 2012, 12:57pm

Post #71 of 89 (1824 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

it cerainly didnt remind me of a toddler refusing his dinner. Sly

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2012, 1:43pm

Post #72 of 89 (1845 views)
Shortcut
I was just about to make this comparison, [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I find it very appropriate that it could stand next to these two. Smile

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Marionette
Rohan

Sep 28 2012, 1:55pm

Post #73 of 89 (1958 views)
Shortcut
Bombur, Ori and the hottest ones [In reply to] Can't Post

This poster makes me laugh CoolCool Yeah love it. All these little guys.
But picking up some:
Love Bombur and Ori. Of course Thorin, Kili and Fili as the hottest dwarves of the bunch HeartSly

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 28 2012, 2:36pm

Post #74 of 89 (1874 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they need to change it ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobpet 3

Thoromir
Rivendell

Sep 28 2012, 3:00pm

Post #75 of 89 (1833 views)
Shortcut
Nice ;-P // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.