Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Drogo Baggins?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Solicitr
Lorien

Sep 25 2012, 2:06pm

Post #51 of 63 (60 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact the Bombadil chapters, remarkably, were written before the chapter which would become Chapter 2, "The Shadow of the Past." Tolkien took Bingo Bolger-Baggins and his friends Frodo Took, Odo Took and Marmaduke Brandybuck all the way to Rivendell before Bingo's magic ring became the Ruling Ring.

(This post was edited by Solicitr on Sep 25 2012, 2:06pm)

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 10:11pm

Post #52 of 63 (43 views)
Shortcut
Thanks ericmvan! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the insight about Bombadill and the others!

'I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor- though, I do not know the way...'

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 11:45pm

Post #53 of 63 (40 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing how much Tolkien worked and revised his writings before they came to be what they are today. It took him well over a decade to write LOTR, and his works are just so complex- as a writer, I admire him greatly for this.

'I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor- though, I do not know the way...'

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2012, 12:07am

Post #54 of 63 (39 views)
Shortcut
But wasn't Bombadil [In reply to] Can't Post

a character he used to tell his children stories about before finishing writing the Hobbit? I thought the characters creation was before the Hobbit, Based on one of his children's doll's which got flushed down a toilet Laugh Now as far as written accounts I know that came after the hobbit was finished in 1932, but not published till 37. First published account of Bombadil was in 1933, actually published in the Oxford magazine. I always find Tolkien's inspirations for his tales interestingSmile

ericmvan
The Shire

Sep 26 2012, 2:09am

Post #55 of 63 (33 views)
Shortcut
Good point, and yet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Humphrey Carpenter has this story: the Bombadil doll belonged to Michael (born 1920) and was flushed down the "lavatory" by John (born 1917), who didn't like it. That suggests 1925 or so, 1929 at the latest.

And yet Tolkien in several letters always mentions the poem (15 February 1934 issue of Oxford Magazine) as the origin, and never the doll. Christopher Tolkien doesn't mention the doll and quotes, from an undated copy, a poem, the original now lost, on which Tolkien has written "Date unknown -- germ of Tom Bombadil so evidently in mid 1930s."

Carpenter suggests Bombadil as an inspiration for hobbits, but I do not believe that either Douglas A. Anderson in The Annotated Hobbit or John D. Rateliff in The History of the Hobbit make this claim.

It's also been speculated that there were elements of The Hobbit that came from stories told to his children before he wrote it. I think it's safe to say that the character dates from the mid-late 20's but his development into the Bombadil of the book is from 1933 or so. So we are both right!

Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish, it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered -- JRRT, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, Commentary, note 9.

ericmvan
The Shire

Sep 26 2012, 2:18am

Post #56 of 63 (38 views)
Shortcut
I'm new to these forums ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... so I don't know how often this point has been made, but the 3 1/2 volumes of The History of Middle Earth that are devoted to the composition of LOTR are as thorough and as interesting a document of the mind of a creative genius at work as one could find anywhere. For Tolkien fans who love LOTR but can't get into The Silmarillion, and who have avoided the 12 volumes of the History as a result, if you haven't already, do yourself a favor an check out the LOTR rough drafts. (I believe they were published separately as a paperback box set.) Not only is the composition process amazing to observe, but there is the occasional deleted scene that completely belongs on the DVD, so to speak. I actually think that the first version of Sam rescuing Frodo in Cirith Ungol (in the city of Minas Morgul, before the second tower had been invented) is scarier than anything in the published novel!

Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish, it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered -- JRRT, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, Commentary, note 9.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2012, 2:27am

Post #57 of 63 (30 views)
Shortcut
I got half the volumes [In reply to] Can't Post

and the lady at the local used book store better have me on speed dial if she gets any that i don't have. LOL actually she does have my number but I check about once a week for used books I want to get anyways. Hopefully I'll get the rest of them in good time

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 26 2012, 2:35am

Post #58 of 63 (43 views)
Shortcut
Welcome ericmvan! [In reply to] Can't Post

The HOME has been discussed on our Reading Room board, at least in part. There's a chapter-by-chapter discussion of The Hobbit going on there currently, but spontaneous posts about anything are welcome there.

Thanks for giving us the benefit of your knowledge and views here on the Hobbit board. I hope you enjoy it here, no matter which board(s) you frequent (they're all fun, btw). Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 26 2012, 2:40am

Post #59 of 63 (26 views)
Shortcut
I'll definitely check that out... [In reply to] Can't Post

... It sounds great, I've always been interested in the way in which Tolkien wrote. He is such a wonderful source of inspiration for writers of fantasy. If you're looking for more on Middle-Earth itself, there is an atlas titled 'The Atlas of Middle-Earth' by Karen Wynn Fonstad, which contains a great deal of detail of not only the lands of Middle-Earth, but the process of creating them and the journeys of its inhabitants.

(This post was edited by Ring-Bearer on Sep 26 2012, 2:41am)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2012, 2:49am

Post #60 of 63 (25 views)
Shortcut
Just bought the maps of middle earth saturday [In reply to] Can't Post

$35.00 in Hardcover at Barnes and Noble Its a 2 piece book set that has some beautiful stuff. The maps are simply stunning IMO

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 26 2012, 2:55am

Post #61 of 63 (28 views)
Shortcut
They're stunning... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always been intrigued by maps, but maps and Tolkien...
Pure genius, and stunningly beautiful.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 26 2012, 3:07am

Post #62 of 63 (36 views)
Shortcut
Good luck, sinister [In reply to] Can't Post

Which do you own? Are they hardback editions? I don't own any HOME volumes yet. It's probably more of a RR or Main question, but if everyone will indulge me, do you have any recommendations on which one(s) to start with?

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2012, 3:36am

Post #63 of 63 (59 views)
Shortcut
I have [In reply to] Can't Post

1,2,3,5,8, and 9 and am missing 4,6, 7, and the rest of the series. a couple paperbacks and the rest hard cover(2003 editions mainly with a couple from 96) but not all in very good shape vol. 2 is missing 3 pages at the beginning, 8 and 9 had something spilled on them but are still readable. all of them have creases in pages or small tears in pages but for 5 dollars for a hardcover book I can live with flaws.. I try not to buy paperbacks but probably would if I found a good copy... every time i see a book bin at a yard sale or used bookstore I have to stop and look

personally of the ones I have 1,2,and 9 are my favorites. I'm really wanting to get my hands on 4 but haven't found it yet and when I bought the maps book I found Barnes and Noble by me had volume 6 and 7 for somewhere in the $14 range (i think)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.