Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
CBS Sunday Morning revisits Middle-earth in an interview with Elijah Wood

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 9 2012, 4:22pm

Views: 798
Shortcut
CBS Sunday Morning revisits Middle-earth in an interview with Elijah Wood Can't Post

Okay, this piece is perhaps a little less Tolkien focused but it had some Tolkien content so I'm going for Main.

The tv show's feature was on Elijah Wood but they opened and closed the piece with clips from LOTR and The Hobbit.

For the second week in a row, I caught strains of Shore's score - this time the Fellowship Theme - and looked up to see scenes from the movie (which scene, I can't recall). I think that was the teaser and when they came back from commercial, they showed the scene where Frodo has Gollum down on the ground with Sting at his throat.

The bulk of the article was about Elijah's career and life - touching briefly on past roles and lingering longer on Wilfred - visiting a neighborhood sausage restaurant (I think it was called 'cased meat') with Wood describing himself as a foodie and carnivore - talking about how he managed to steer clear of some of the difficulties other child actors have faced - and his side (but strong) hobby of record collecting, dj-ing, and owning a record label.

They ended up back in the Shire with a few brief shots of Wood and Holmes in the upcoming Hobbit movie along with some behind the scenes shots. I have watched the blogs but not in enough detail to say whether any of these shots were new. I suspect not. One of them cropped up in a image search I was doing last night. And he revealed his "nine" tattoo, "It stands for the nine members of the Fellowship. It's actually the number nine written out in Elvish, the language of the Elves. Doesn't get any more nerdy than that!" he laughed.

The transcript is here. Note that it's two pages long and for last week's article on the anniversary of Tolkien's death, video cropped up on the transcript page later in the day. It might for this article, as well.

On a side note, I find this interesting from a marketing standpoint. Are two articles in two weeks on Tolkien / Middle-earth just happenstance. Or is there some 'guiding hand' at play here. :-) Is this a very low level, early, gentle form of marketing for The Hobbit? CBS Sunday Morning is a very quiet show, willing to linger on thoughts, more concerned about content (in a very easy accessible way) than bells and whistles. I would not have thought that a marketing agency would have sought them out as a potential marketing venue. And I have never felt that CBS Sunday Morning was the type of show that would succumb to being a marketing venue.

But I also know that producing content is expensive and local and national 'talk/news' shows are eager to accept content from someone with a product or service to sell. They couch it as news, but it's a commercial folks. An easy one to swallow but a commercial.

It's also possible that in determining what stories to run, the folks at CBS Sunday morning go with what they think people will be interested in. And they think people will be interested in The Hobbit so they visit that topic in some tangential way that isn't Hollywood driven - for, although they will cover Hollywood and Hollywood stars (along with dozens of other less flashy topics), they are not Entertainment Tonight! In fact, I suspect that if the content were being suggested and driven by the movie people, the content would be a bit more movie heavy than they have been. This is exactly the type of stories that one could do when one doesn't have access to Hobbit movie PR but does want to tap into the interest as it ramps up.

My impression of the CBS SM demographic is of older people. The show's been around since 1979, they aren't afraid to employ old people (something you don't see on Entertainment Tonight), and they are folksy and relaxed. But a little research (with emphasis on little) found this:
Despite the stereotype of the program appealing primarily to senior citizens, the show actually placed first among its time slot in the key 2554 demographic, beating all of the other Sunday morning talk shows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/..._News_Sunday_Morning
and this article: http://www.capitalnewyork.com/...s-old-fashioned-sund

This is all just my armchair marketing interest, wondering who think who will be interested in The Hobbit. I don't just collect acorns and pretty rocks! I also collect trivial bits of observations.

But I wonder how many more stories we'll start to see cropping up in programs outside of the expected Hollywood buzz shows. And what kinds of content will we see in progressive steps as we get nearer to the release date.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Subject User Time
CBS Sunday Morning revisits Middle-earth in an interview with Elijah Wood Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 9 2012, 4:22pm
    Thanks for sharing magpie Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Sep 10 2012, 1:00am
        Same here. guitarzankansasfan Send a private message to guitarzankansasfan Sep 12 2012, 10:55am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.