Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Brown Wizard Revealed! (Major spoilers following)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 21 2012, 7:48pm

Post #1 of 131 (3916 views)
Shortcut
The Brown Wizard Revealed! (Major spoilers following) Can't Post

Since I can't see that this topic has been discussed yet, we have just been given our first glimpse of Radagast in the Latest News on the Hobbit section of the site.

Now that we can see Radagast for the first (proper) time, what does everyone think about his appearance?

I for one think he looks brilliant, though doubtless some of you will disagree.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Aug 21 2012, 7:53pm

Post #2 of 131 (1783 views)
Shortcut
It already has been [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a few hours late! Here is the link of the thread: http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

emre43
Lorien

Aug 21 2012, 7:55pm

Post #3 of 131 (1619 views)
Shortcut
I really like his look [In reply to] Can't Post

I was expecting a lot worse and received a lot better.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 21 2012, 7:55pm

Post #4 of 131 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Ok-I hadn't realised that. Sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 7:58pm

Post #5 of 131 (1565 views)
Shortcut
I really like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

And he has a very vagrant feel to him - which he should. Hoping for a clearer picture soon though. Still want to see all the intricate details. Smile

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Aug 21 2012, 7:58pm

Post #6 of 131 (1565 views)
Shortcut
The other thread's title isn't too specific [In reply to] Can't Post

so I can see why you thought that Smile

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 21 2012, 8:24pm

Post #7 of 131 (1526 views)
Shortcut
No, this thread is a good idea . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . as the other was technically about the posting of all of the pictures, and this one is specifically about Radigast . . . Raddy deserves his own thread!
I love Raddy!

However . . . . . . . . .

I'm not loving what I'm seeing. (OW . . . stop yelling at me!)
1) in the picture, Radigast is a little undefined. It hard to clearnly see too much . . .
2) why do he and Bofur have the same style of hat?
3) The look of the staff doesn't surprise me . . . a John Howe drawing from a while back shows the 5 Istari, and Gandalf and Radigast had similar-looking staves.
4) All in all, he has a bit of a mouse like-appearance.

Part of this is probably due to my vision of Radigast, which has always been a bit . . . druid-like (or, druish)(that was for you, Mel!).
I have a friend who has a plethera of animals . . . cats, snakes, birds, ferrets, etc.. He's an old hippie . . . big beard, relatively unkempt hair, big belly. Put him in robes and he would be a neo-druid. For some reason, when I think of Raddy, I think of my friend Kent.

Honestly, to me, Radigast looks like he just crawled out of a cardboard box to go dig thru dumpsters.

OK . . . I'm done . . . proceed to pull out large sticks with which to beat me with. Evil

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2012, 8:29pm

Post #8 of 131 (1516 views)
Shortcut
Is there a description of Radagast anywhere in the books? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just curious if you're just not happy with a mental picture you've conjured up or with something you're basing out of the texts.

And I promise I have no sticks. Laugh

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Aug 21 2012, 8:35pm

Post #9 of 131 (1575 views)
Shortcut
In the Council of Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf talks about what Radagast does (master of shapes and has much lore of herbs and beasts) to the rest of the Council but other than that there is nothing else describing him. Anything listed in the unfinished tales? I dont have that book with me.

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!' Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face. 'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Aug 21 2012, 8:41pm

Post #10 of 131 (1526 views)
Shortcut
Radagast's hat doesn't look that similar to Bofur's, IMO. [In reply to] Can't Post

It also appears to be much larger than suggested, as it extends up out of the shot.

All in all, I'm very happy with Radagast's appearance. I always imagined him more vagrant-like.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 21 2012, 8:45pm

Post #11 of 131 (1477 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry, we don't bite, and we bark very little [In reply to] Can't Post

I see exactly where you are coming from with your point-I also imagine Radagast as a druidic type character when I read the books.

However, whilst I did not approve at first of Radagast's supposed appearance, I realized that I could have seen this coming, because of both The Hobbit's lighter nature and the fact that McCoy is typically a comedy actor. I am still very glad that they have taken the time to put him into the films at all, and am even more happy about the fact that he could be a major character, whether in the book or not. So, to be truthful, I am embracing whatever Radagast they throw at us. Plus I'm sure that McCoy will do a fine job of bringing him to life (without the spoons, please).

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 21 2012, 8:45pm

Post #12 of 131 (1488 views)
Shortcut
No sticks . . . good . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . as I've taken Kendo, and I'm a certified riot and collapsable baton instructor. Wink I fight with sticks for fun . . .

Description of Raddy . . . hmmmmmmm . . . pulling out my "Complete Guide to Middle Earth" so that I don't miss anything.
1) I've been spelling his name wrong . . . Radagast! . . . OY!
2) In the LOTR, Gandalf says he had been riding a horse when he met him, and that he was, 'master of shapes and changes of hue:" Interesting . . .
3) No description in the Hobbit (from my memory . . . I didn't check)
4) looking for my copy of the Simarillion as we speak . . . . . . . . .

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 9:13pm

Post #13 of 131 (1639 views)
Shortcut
Radagast's staff [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be interesting to see his staff fully. It looks very similar to Gandalf's ... Perhaps they're mates Unsure

Wild speculation ... after Radagast's death, Gandalf takes up Radagast's staff, thus explaining the difference between TH and LOTR Wink

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 21 2012, 9:18pm

Post #14 of 131 (1616 views)
Shortcut
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast does not die . . . he does not.
and if he does, I may (literally) walk out of the theatre.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Aug 21 2012, 9:19pm

Post #15 of 131 (1508 views)
Shortcut
I bet [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll just figuratively walk out of the theatre. Smile

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 21 2012, 9:19pm

Post #16 of 131 (1409 views)
Shortcut
I was speculating the very same thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

And was thinking of posting a thread about it. Indeed, the resemblance between the two staves is uncanny. Gandalf may want to take the staff to remember his old friend Raddy, which would add a small amount of emotion to the scene in which it is taken from him (i.e. the duel in LOTR)

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking this!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 9:21pm

Post #17 of 131 (1426 views)
Shortcut
Make sure you're sitting on an end seat [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want you climbing over me when it happens Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 21 2012, 9:22pm

Post #18 of 131 (1422 views)
Shortcut
There's a very brief shot of someone holding two brown staffs (staves?) in the latest vlog [In reply to] Can't Post

They are so alike, it certainly suggests something.

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 21 2012, 9:25pm

Post #19 of 131 (1391 views)
Shortcut
. . . hard to say . . . NT [In reply to] Can't Post

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Aug 21 2012, 9:25pm

Post #20 of 131 (1411 views)
Shortcut
I'm suretat you are aware of this, but just in case [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you noticed that Gandalf's first staff has a holder for his pipe? So he can carry his pipe in the staff.

TheBeerBaron
Rivendell

Aug 21 2012, 9:26pm

Post #21 of 131 (1376 views)
Shortcut
In fotr that is [In reply to] Can't Post

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 21 2012, 9:29pm

Post #22 of 131 (1362 views)
Shortcut
Can't find my copy of the Simarillion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Old copy . . . older than some of the Folk of TORN . . . should be at the right end of the Tolkien next to the Jules Verne . . . I had it out a while ago . . .

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 21 2012, 9:31pm

Post #23 of 131 (1413 views)
Shortcut
Search or go to"Rhosgobel..I'm so excited!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost. 1400 views. and..now buried. Under
the " Flotsum&Jetsum "
of this front
Forum Page..there. ARE a few Easter Eggs( Hint..Hint?)

Bomby hid there. Everyone had Tons of Fun
posting There.
If you can't Trust Bomby..
Whom could you...

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Aug 21 2012, 9:44pm

Post #24 of 131 (1356 views)
Shortcut
always trust Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that thread . . .

sycorax82
Rohan

Aug 21 2012, 9:44pm

Post #25 of 131 (1406 views)
Shortcut
If he doesn't die, explain the zero mention of him in the LOTR films [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless we see him leaving Middle-earth or something like that, I'm thinking he will meet a sticky end at the hands of, possibly, the Necromancer.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.