Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
3 Hobbit Films Confirmed
First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next page Last page  View All

Halfred

Jul 31 2012, 1:02am

Post #301 of 378 (20400 views)
Shortcut
No Viggo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good. Viggo has too much integrity for that!

(Hope there's not a painful surprise coming! Unsure)

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 1:02am

Post #302 of 378 (20332 views)
Shortcut
The only reason my reaction is mixed [In reply to] Can't Post

is because there will be no Hunt for Gollum. That's so lame. To me that's one of the storylines that would make the movies connect and flow like one big piece as PJ says he wants it to be.

What gives?!?!?

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 1:03am

Post #303 of 378 (20322 views)
Shortcut
Life is not fair. [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo is not 10 years old.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 1:04am

Post #304 of 378 (20373 views)
Shortcut
No Viggo = bad. [In reply to] Can't Post

No Viggo is not good. The Hunt for Gollum with Aragorn and Gandalf chasing down Gollum would be great. I can't believe this storyline out of all will not see the light of day via PJ & co. Oh well. I'll edit in the indie version into PJ's trilogy when I watch.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

Jeremy
Rivendell

Jul 31 2012, 1:04am

Post #305 of 378 (20327 views)
Shortcut
No Viggo? Did I miss something? [In reply to] Can't Post

source?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 1:07am

Post #306 of 378 (20379 views)
Shortcut
Yah, Viggo left. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bye-bye!

Photobucket

Morthoron
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 1:07am

Post #307 of 378 (20323 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit III: Milking the Franchise... [In reply to] Can't Post

I despise this fan-fic-a-thon the more I hear of it.

More drivel from Jackson, less story from Tolkien.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Halfred

Jul 31 2012, 1:09am

Post #308 of 378 (20324 views)
Shortcut
Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hunt for Gollum just occurred to me too, Hutch!

So:

(1) Bilbo escapes Gollum.
(2) Gollum goes looking for him, is caught in Mirkwood by Aragorn.
(3) Gollum escapes and gets abducted by the Necromancer
(4) The Necromancer gets defeated in an awesome battle at Do Guldur, flees with Gollum in his custody
(4) Frodo receives the ring from Bilbo
(5) Necromancer gets the truth from Gollum
(6) The Black Riders are sent out....(get washed away)
(7) Necromancer - we know who it is now! - allows Gollum to escape, hopefully to find Frodo and draw the Necromancer to him

Ah ha!!! It all fits now!

(This post was edited by Halfred on Jul 31 2012, 1:12am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 1:11am

Post #309 of 378 (20303 views)
Shortcut
It has been done,// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Jul 31 2012, 1:11am

Post #310 of 378 (20324 views)
Shortcut
A question of structure and theme [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked the idea of The Hobbit in two parts. The first film - from the Shire to the barrels - would have been the fairy tale, the great adventure. The second film, from Laketown to the end of the book, would have been the modern tale, the one where greed and politics take over the myth. It would have resembled the different stages of the book and would have meant both films would have a unique essence.

Now with three films it seems an entire film must be made out of Smaug (plus added WC scenes) and an entire film must be made out of the Battle of Five Armies: this last film in particular sounds like the most tedious and potentially video-gamish thing conceivable. You also lose the whole flow of the novel, which replaces the element of mythological greed (the dragon) with recognisably human (dwarvish/elvish) greed in a completely effortless way.

Tone aside, this is worrying news. A whole film in Laketown and another in the Lonely Mountain just don't sound very interesting, even with the added material (which if excessive can work against the film anyway.) And the first film simply must end in Mirkwood unless it wants to be completely pointless - meeting a trio of trolls and some goblins before credits roll simply won't do.

Jeremy
Rivendell

Jul 31 2012, 1:12am

Post #311 of 378 (20251 views)
Shortcut
left what? source? [In reply to] Can't Post

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 1:16am

Post #312 of 378 (21629 views)
Shortcut
The only source I'm using is [In reply to] Can't Post

TORN's homepage saying a revised bit of news came saying the 3rd film was not the bridge but more Hobbit, and I suppose that means non Hunt for Gollum. Which frankly, I think sucks. How can they leave that storyline alone when they want one long piece?

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 1:19am

Post #313 of 378 (20278 views)
Shortcut
Yeah it fits. [In reply to] Can't Post

But apparently they aren't using it.
So they want to expand Bard and the Master of Laketown and invent a female elf...but they don't want to expand on Aragorn's role. BAH! EPIC FAIL!
I'm pouting! Mad

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 1:21am

Post #314 of 378 (20212 views)
Shortcut
I do not see the point [In reply to] Can't Post

of another movie of made up filler retaining Tolkiens name in the title or credits anywhere. Hopefully this does not happen but as the LOTR movies had very solid source material and were moderately loose on story adaptation and very loose on character adaptation, I cannot imagine that a filler or bridge movie that has relatively little source material will be much more than predominantly the invention of Sir PJ, Walsh and Boyens. The comments from Sir PJ about the Battle of Dol Guldur of which we have very little source tells me that they are going to invent much. There was not much of a battle according to JRRT, Sauron had laid his plans and feigned to give way before the council. He did not retreat out of neccessity but design so why would he expend too much effort into a battle.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Jul 31 2012, 1:22am)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 1:24am

Post #315 of 378 (20316 views)
Shortcut
Chillaxe... [In reply to] Can't Post

A whole movie of Aragorn looking for Gollum?
Nah...

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 1:24am

Post #316 of 378 (20308 views)
Shortcut
Tell me why the Hunt for Gollum won't work [In reply to] Can't Post

...when they're expanding every one else' s role to the point of inventing characters. Totally lame.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 1:25am

Post #317 of 378 (20318 views)
Shortcut
45 mins will do [In reply to] Can't Post

as the indie flick showed us. Besides what anyway? An entire film of Bo5A? I don't think I'm wrong in saying the Hunt for Gollum should be one of the first threads in line to see the light of day if they want this to be one interconnected piece as they claim.
I'm still just gonna wait and watch but I was really only on board with the 3 film idea if it was fleshing the other threads-not making TH into 3 films. That's just weird that a simple quest (TH) and the grand finale (LOTR) get the same amount of screen time.
Intriguing though.

(This post was edited by hutch on Jul 31 2012, 1:29am)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 1:26am

Post #318 of 378 (20332 views)
Shortcut
In order to ensure [In reply to] Can't Post

that the ruse was convincing one supposes. I rather doubt Sauron had any compunction about sacrificing a few minions to create a realistic defeat.

Certainly there is reasonable evidence that there was a battle. The precise extent is undefined.

LR

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 31 2012, 1:31am

Post #319 of 378 (20297 views)
Shortcut
The hunt for Gollum is not inside the time frame of The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that the Hobbit(s will not deal with events (other than earlier events) later than Balin's return to Moria.
Beside The Hunt for Gollum has already been done.

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jul 31 2012, 1:32am)

jtarkey
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 1:33am

Post #320 of 378 (20235 views)
Shortcut
Such a disappointing descision [In reply to] Can't Post

This is such disappointing news. Everyone should ask themselves how they would have reacted to the notion of 3 Hobbit movies before production got rolling. I know I would have thought it was ridiculous, and I still think it's ridiculous. That is all.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2012, 1:39am

Post #321 of 378 (20184 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

You seem to have nailed it....siiighFrown

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 1:40am

Post #322 of 378 (20179 views)
Shortcut
I'd only be disappointed [In reply to] Can't Post

if I found out they're charging us for 3 two hour films instead of 2 three hour films. What a scam that would be. More movie tickets, more showtimes and more dvds to buy!

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 31 2012, 1:41am

Post #323 of 378 (20188 views)
Shortcut
You bet me to it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was having a re-think as you do and for him to take off with minimum contest is quite unconvincing. The wording is he feigned to give way before them so there had to be a pretense of him needing to do so, so the White Council would not pursue him further. This allowed him the additional 10 years or whatever to build up and declare himself in Mordor. Whether the feigning involved a battle or not who knows, but there is comment of Sarumans devices (whether this means machines or stratagems who knows) driving him out so we do know some effort was expended by the White Council.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Jul 31 2012, 1:42am)

shadowdog
Rohan

Jul 31 2012, 1:44am

Post #324 of 378 (20214 views)
Shortcut
Repeat of I Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted something on another thread that has been overrun by this thread. I wish to repeat it here, as I feel it is important and appropriate in the context of the arguments being waged here:

"I am not the only one who went to see all three of the LoTR movies because of a love of Tolkien's stories. I expect to go to the two Hobbit films to see Tolkien's story come to life. I love Tolkiens version of Middle Earth and the goings on there. When the first movie came out, I had never heard of Peter Jackson. I went in with fear in my heart as to what he would do with the story. I fell as much in love with his portrayal of Middle Earth and the goings on there as in Tolkien's version. They are both valid. Books such as the trilogy can't be transferred to the screen exactly as written. I didn't agree with all the changes made by Jackson; but those were minor in the scope of the film trilogy. I get upset by those in here who seem to think if you love Tolkien, you must hate Jackson and if you love Jackson who are no true Tolkienite. There are many of us in this universe who think both are worthy of enjoyment and love. They can both exist in my universe and I can love and enjoy both for what each is. There is no either/or in my universe.

Can't wait to see The Hobbit on the big screen and expect to enjoy it as much as I enjoy the books."

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2012, 1:47am

Post #325 of 378 (20202 views)
Shortcut
Yes - well a battle [In reply to] Can't Post

seems to be indicated by the various verbs Tolkien uses - "attack", "assault" and "put forth strength" combined with "driving out" Sauron.

I think given the consistency of language it would be an odd set of vocabulary for Tolkien to use if he did not intend to give the impression of a battle of some sort (whether physical or otherwise)

LR

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.