Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
At 5:32 EST, All Access Live on Spike TV interviewed Andy Serkis

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 13 2012, 11:27pm

Views: 1412
Shortcut
At 5:32 EST, All Access Live on Spike TV interviewed Andy Serkis Can't Post

At Comic-Con in San Diego. I'm paraphrasing much of the 3-minute discussion, but the meat of the interview is here. The cast will be in Hall H tomorrow (Saturday) to premier some new footage, and Andy's VERY jazzed! They talked about how much the technology for Gollum has changed.

The technology, I'm sure, has advanced a lot from when you first did Gollum. How is the performance different for you and is the character going to be different in this?

The performance has changed only in the sense that we didn't have to repeat everything for the second time with motion capture. Now you can shoot performance capture with live action all in the same get... and os all the interactivity is real. You don't have to repeat anything. The piece is completely whole when you shoot the scene. The character... Gollum as we know him...he's a little bit hotter, a looks a bit cooler... he's 600 years old; but in this he's 540 years old...

He's a somewhat smaller role here compared to The Lord of the Rings.

It's a seminal kind of [situation]. Peoples' images of Gollum really are about this scene in The Hobbit. That's where they draw all the visions of Gollum that come from Riddles in the Dark passage in the book.

When we shot the scene we shot it in its entirety; so that every time we did it, we shot the scene from beginning to end. It's about a 13-minute scene. We just played it all the way through. It was a really cool way of shooting it.

How did it feel to get back into the voice? I'm sure you do it for fans all the time, right?

He's really never left me. I had to hold back leading up to The Hobbit. I gotta find him again. It was really weird. I was almost doing an impersonation of myself... but it came flying back in.

Regarding his becoming 2nd Unit Director: I didn't know I was even going to do it until about 4 weeks before we started the shoot piece. [From Peter] "I really would love you to come down and do it because we're going to be sharing a lot...the principal cast is going to become second unit. I want someone who can take care of performance..." It was a huge learning curve...

What are you guys showing the fans tomorrow (Saturday, July 14)?

It's kind of vignettes of various different scenes from the first movie and then kind of focusing in on the characters... introducing you to all the Dwarf characters. It's about 8 minutes introducing the characters.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Subject User Time
At 5:32 EST, All Access Live on Spike TV interviewed Andy Serkis grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 13 2012, 11:27pm
    I am disappointed. Bryan Send a private message to Bryan Jul 13 2012, 11:34pm
    Thanks for this gramma!! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 13 2012, 11:34pm
        Well Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jul 14 2012, 12:59am
            Hence the "~" ;-) / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 14 2012, 8:38am
        I don't have a sense of these things... Earl Send a private message to Earl Jul 14 2012, 5:54am
            Honestly Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jul 14 2012, 6:02am
                I agree - I don't expect all the riddles to make it into the film DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 14 2012, 8:39am
                    Don't worry Mordae Send a private message to Mordae Jul 14 2012, 10:47am
                        I'm sure the scene will be DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 14 2012, 1:27pm
                            A quick question L.J. Kiosq Send a private message to L.J. Kiosq Jul 14 2012, 1:36pm
                                Excluisive content Carne Send a private message to Carne Jul 14 2012, 1:55pm
                                    Thanks for telling me L.J. Kiosq Send a private message to L.J. Kiosq Jul 14 2012, 2:10pm
                                Never fear though! artemy Send a private message to artemy Jul 14 2012, 2:05pm
                                For those interested, and want to check what time the WB panel starts in their country, check this website: DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 14 2012, 2:37pm
                                    you are the best! // Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 14 2012, 2:49pm
                                        No need to thank me Magpie DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 14 2012, 3:00pm
                                    Thank you! Carne Send a private message to Carne Jul 14 2012, 2:55pm
                    I agree malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Jul 14 2012, 2:27pm
    So wish i could be at Comic Con! imin Send a private message to imin Jul 13 2012, 11:37pm
    Thanks a lot for this! artemy Send a private message to artemy Jul 14 2012, 12:12am
        BEORN OR BUST duats Send a private message to duats Jul 14 2012, 12:26am
    Gramma are you posting this on FP? // Demosthenes Send a private message to Demosthenes Jul 14 2012, 3:49am
    THR interview with Andy namarie Send a private message to namarie Jul 14 2012, 6:57pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.