Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
At 5:32 EST, All Access Live on Spike TV interviewed Andy Serkis

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 13 2012, 11:27pm

Post #1 of 24 (1451 views)
Shortcut
At 5:32 EST, All Access Live on Spike TV interviewed Andy Serkis Can't Post

At Comic-Con in San Diego. I'm paraphrasing much of the 3-minute discussion, but the meat of the interview is here. The cast will be in Hall H tomorrow (Saturday) to premier some new footage, and Andy's VERY jazzed! They talked about how much the technology for Gollum has changed.

The technology, I'm sure, has advanced a lot from when you first did Gollum. How is the performance different for you and is the character going to be different in this?

The performance has changed only in the sense that we didn't have to repeat everything for the second time with motion capture. Now you can shoot performance capture with live action all in the same get... and os all the interactivity is real. You don't have to repeat anything. The piece is completely whole when you shoot the scene. The character... Gollum as we know him...he's a little bit hotter, a looks a bit cooler... he's 600 years old; but in this he's 540 years old...

He's a somewhat smaller role here compared to The Lord of the Rings.

It's a seminal kind of [situation]. Peoples' images of Gollum really are about this scene in The Hobbit. That's where they draw all the visions of Gollum that come from Riddles in the Dark passage in the book.

When we shot the scene we shot it in its entirety; so that every time we did it, we shot the scene from beginning to end. It's about a 13-minute scene. We just played it all the way through. It was a really cool way of shooting it.

How did it feel to get back into the voice? I'm sure you do it for fans all the time, right?

He's really never left me. I had to hold back leading up to The Hobbit. I gotta find him again. It was really weird. I was almost doing an impersonation of myself... but it came flying back in.

Regarding his becoming 2nd Unit Director: I didn't know I was even going to do it until about 4 weeks before we started the shoot piece. [From Peter] "I really would love you to come down and do it because we're going to be sharing a lot...the principal cast is going to become second unit. I want someone who can take care of performance..." It was a huge learning curve...

What are you guys showing the fans tomorrow (Saturday, July 14)?

It's kind of vignettes of various different scenes from the first movie and then kind of focusing in on the characters... introducing you to all the Dwarf characters. It's about 8 ½ minutes introducing the characters.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Bryan
Bree

Jul 13 2012, 11:34pm

Post #2 of 24 (597 views)
Shortcut
I am disappointed. [In reply to] Can't Post

About the show on Spike, that is. Everything interesting was too rushed. I will not watch again.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 13 2012, 11:34pm

Post #3 of 24 (520 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this gramma!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Riddles in the Dark will be ~13 minutes! That's great!!

And lots of footage today (tomorrow for you) Laugh

imin
Valinor

Jul 13 2012, 11:37pm

Post #4 of 24 (505 views)
Shortcut
So wish i could be at Comic Con! [In reply to] Can't Post

8 1/2 mins of introducing characters, could get to know them well in that time, plus the vignettes would love to see those and looking forward to seeing some advertising the film when we are much closer to release :)

artemy
Lorien

Jul 14 2012, 12:12am

Post #5 of 24 (465 views)
Shortcut
Thanks a lot for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait for feedback on the footage, we'll finally learn more about the dwarves, and maybe even some of the other new characters (though I don't mind if a few are left as a surprise) Wink

Thirteen minutes of riddles? Sounds like they may be staying very close to the book!

~Beneath the sun, all things must wear to an end at last~

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 14 2012, 12:26am

Post #6 of 24 (473 views)
Shortcut
BEORN OR BUST [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 14 2012, 12:59am

Post #7 of 24 (437 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

The entirety of the scene as shot is 13 minutes long. Editing will likely reduce that a bit...

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jul 14 2012, 3:49am

Post #8 of 24 (365 views)
Shortcut
Gramma are you posting this on FP? // [In reply to] Can't Post

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 14 2012, 5:54am

Post #9 of 24 (329 views)
Shortcut
I don't have a sense of these things... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I'm *so* trying to figure out how many riddles cold fit in 13 minutes Laugh

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 14 2012, 6:02am

Post #10 of 24 (340 views)
Shortcut
Honestly [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think PJ should use all the riddles from the book. They all work wonderfully well in the books, but may not hold that long on film.

I would be content with four. Two by Bilbo, and two by Gollum, ending with Bilbo's unfair pocket question.

That could certainly take more than ten minutes.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 14 2012, 8:38am

Post #11 of 24 (256 views)
Shortcut
Hence the "~" ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 14 2012, 8:39am

Post #12 of 24 (260 views)
Shortcut
I agree - I don't expect all the riddles to make it into the film [In reply to] Can't Post

But am hoping if that's the case, all of them make it into the EE.

Please, please, please PJ do not mess the riddles up Laugh

Mordae
The Shire

Jul 14 2012, 10:47am

Post #13 of 24 (238 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

From what we've seen in the vlogs it's going to be good.
I actually got chills from the clip.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 14 2012, 1:27pm

Post #14 of 24 (210 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure the scene will be [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hope PJ doesn't change the riddles Crazy

L.J. Kiosq
The Shire

Jul 14 2012, 1:36pm

Post #15 of 24 (205 views)
Shortcut
A quick question [In reply to] Can't Post

We will be seeing the panel (hopefully later on today). But the vlogs of Comic Con I have seen in the past exclude the videos that are shown to the audience, Does anyone know why that is? And will we be banned from seeing this nearly 9 minute treat because we aren't at Comic-Con? Can anyone tell me?

In case you're wondering, I live under a rock (not a hill) and am ignorant regarding many things.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2012, 1:55pm

Post #16 of 24 (201 views)
Shortcut
Excluisive content [In reply to] Can't Post

These people paid quite a lot of money to attend Comic Con, so the exclusive content is part of that price. Would be unfair if we got the same content a day later for example.

We will definitely not get to see the 9 minute treat (until the movie premieres that is) released online (unless someone illegally records it), but as PJ said, we might get to see some of it in the upcoming vlog.

(This post was edited by Carne on Jul 14 2012, 1:56pm)

artemy
Lorien

Jul 14 2012, 2:05pm

Post #17 of 24 (184 views)
Shortcut
Never fear though! [In reply to] Can't Post

The trusty TORN spies over at Comic Con will no doubt give a full report on the footage Wink

~Beneath the sun, all things must wear to an end at last~

L.J. Kiosq
The Shire

Jul 14 2012, 2:10pm

Post #18 of 24 (180 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for telling me [In reply to] Can't Post

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 14 2012, 2:27pm

Post #19 of 24 (169 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't necessarily want all the riddles in the film- but I want what is included to come from the book or at least match its tone, Riddles in the Dark is one of my favourite scenes in the book-Along with the trolls, barrels and spiders, but unlike those scenes its a one on one confrotation between Bilbo and another character, and dosen't have the ability to be changed into an action scene. I love the fact that its such an odd introduction to the ring and compeltely out of place with the tone of the trilogy-I can understand why the other scenes I listed are being changed and I'm certainly not opposed to more action, but Riddles in the Dark is truly Bilbo's moment and a key reason why I like the book so much- its so evocative of The Hobbit's age and tone and I'm worried that it's one of the scenes PJ will change to match the tone of the trilogy better.

I've got to admit I'm VERY worried about this scene-the protganist and Gollum reciting archaic poetry to each other is hardly cinematic, and despite comments about its length and gollum's redesign by Andy Serkis I'm worried that PJ and Co will make the scene and Gollum more viscious and fast paced just to play up his image from the trilogy-its one of their main marketing hooks and subtelty arguably isn't always PJ's strong point, all my friends who have seen the trilogy, but not read the book are expecting the same sort of treachery from gollum this time around, and with serki's limited screentime they will want to make it memorable and gel with the trilogy...

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 14 2012, 2:37pm

Post #20 of 24 (183 views)
Shortcut
For those interested, and want to check what time the WB panel starts in their country, check this website: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.timeanddate.com/...&p1=770&ah=3

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 14 2012, 2:49pm

Post #21 of 24 (174 views)
Shortcut
you are the best! // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2012, 2:55pm

Post #22 of 24 (153 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Useful site, better bookmark it Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 14 2012, 3:00pm

Post #23 of 24 (157 views)
Shortcut
No need to thank me Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

I lifted it from TORn's ComicCon coverage feed Smile

namarie
Rohan

Jul 14 2012, 6:57pm

Post #24 of 24 (225 views)
Shortcut
THR interview with Andy [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...an-unexpected-349276

There is always hope

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.