Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly: "The Scroll" shows 10 hobbit scenes, dwarves, trolls, wargs, Beorn in bear form and more!
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 10 2012, 6:08pm

Post #276 of 355 (20837 views)
Shortcut
Criticism [In reply to] Can't Post

need not be negative. I have not ignored your posts. (Both new and old) I have read most everything you have written here.

"Frankly, these kind of questions from you are getting tiresome, and boring. This is the last time I'll bother responding."

I am sorry I bored you. It was not my intent. KS

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Daisy Gold
The Shire

Jul 10 2012, 6:18pm

Post #277 of 355 (23523 views)
Shortcut
moth or butterfly? [In reply to] Can't Post

I took a closer look at the moth DanielLB. It could be a moth on the branch, maybe one of Radagast's. However I think they are the black butterflies that Bilbo sees at the top of the trees. At first I thought they were the autumn leaves in Mirkwood but now that I see a larger version of the scroll I think they may be the butterflies. I hope it's butterflies as I always enjoy that part of the story. What I don,t care for are the spiders. Are those spiders' legs by Bilbos feet?

artemy
Lorien

Jul 10 2012, 6:19pm

Post #278 of 355 (20933 views)
Shortcut
Guys, if you must argue [In reply to] Can't Post

can you please not do it here? Message each other privately or something, because it really inconveniences the other users who have to scroll through so many posts consisting only of bickering. I'd prefer you didn't argue at all, creates bad vibes - we're a community! Smile

Also DanielLB, I asked about the moth. Were you joking? I spent a while looking for it, before thinking that there's no way a single moth could live for sixty years.

~Beneath the sun, all things must wear to an end at last~

(This post was edited by artemy on Jul 10 2012, 6:19pm)

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Jul 10 2012, 6:58pm

Post #279 of 355 (23313 views)
Shortcut
Beorn Bigger [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you are right about this being a photo shop of Beorn and him likely being much bigger. After all he will be portrayed an almost 10 foot tall man in the movie, I would expect that perspective wise he will be much larger than the comparison to Gandalf. Overall I like the design.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 10 2012, 7:36pm

Post #280 of 355 (20809 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien was always developing his works. [In reply to] Can't Post

People seem to forget that Tolkien wrote LOTR and the to be Hobbit different, so I don't know why we're so obsessed with making the movies be the same.

Tolkien did try to strengthen the connection between the two stories, but realised that there was a risk of the Hobbit losing it's 'charm'.

With the movies, we can start off with the 'innocence' of the book and and by the end of the second movie find ourselves in LOTR territory.

For a 'children's book', the Hobbit has a lot of violence going on (killings, decapitation, torture, wholesale destruction of people and property, individuals getting eaten, etc). I'm not sure how you can put that on screen and keep it 'light'.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 8:28pm

Post #281 of 355 (20676 views)
Shortcut
No worries [In reply to] Can't Post

And I am flattered that you have been reading my posts! Though if you have been reading them, why would you ask a question that is obviously answered "no?"

I enjoy your contributions on TORN immensely. I am only bored by your queries about my alleged "100% negativity" which is both not the reality, and not a good characterization of my criticism.

Dlanor da Great
Rivendell

Jul 10 2012, 8:49pm

Post #282 of 355 (23166 views)
Shortcut
But.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That bear in that pic looks about 10 feet tall.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Jul 10 2012, 9:01pm

Post #283 of 355 (23204 views)
Shortcut
10 feet tall [In reply to] Can't Post

In the article from last year, Beorn the man was going to be 3 meters tall and that fits with the scale of Beorn's house and the chair we saw John Howe sitting in. The largest Kodiak bears of today can be between 12-14 feet tall standing on their hind feet. Beorn was a giant for a man, so I doubt his Bear form would be smaller than actual bears that exist in our own world. If you just did a straight comparison of Beorn to a normal man and used that ratio, the Bear should be a minimum of 20 feet on its hinds.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 9:45pm

Post #284 of 355 (23014 views)
Shortcut
Do I really have to lick there? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 9:45pm

Post #285 of 355 (20566 views)
Shortcut
He would have looked much better, and more dwarfish if... [In reply to] Can't Post

He had kept his natural beard that he had at the beginning, before filming began. I was pretty bummed when I saw they had gotten rid of it.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 9:46pm

Post #286 of 355 (23138 views)
Shortcut
I was only joking [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush
I came into the thread pretty late and was expecting someone to have already asked it. So I thought I would start it!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 9:46pm

Post #287 of 355 (20577 views)
Shortcut
Sorry artemy! I missed your response. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was only joking. I was hoping for people to look frantically.

I couldn't spot a moth anywhere Wink

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 10 2012, 9:51pm

Post #288 of 355 (22947 views)
Shortcut
Still waiting for you to say where the moth is! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 9:54pm

Post #289 of 355 (20496 views)
Shortcut
Darn you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want Radagast to turn into a moth!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 9:56pm

Post #290 of 355 (23137 views)
Shortcut
Sorry dormouse ... no moth ;-D / [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 10 2012, 9:57pm

Post #291 of 355 (23021 views)
Shortcut
Ah.. see [In reply to] Can't Post

... there I was a couple of days ago scanning the panorama for a hint of moth, then I thought, 'bet he's joking', and stopped.

I could still be looking! Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 9:59pm

Post #292 of 355 (23029 views)
Shortcut
I should have left it going [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
Now it would be ironic if there *was* a moth hidden away somewhere!

imin
Valinor

Jul 10 2012, 10:07pm

Post #293 of 355 (23281 views)
Shortcut
I have to admit as well [In reply to] Can't Post

You had me looking for a moth! Blush

Pesky DanielLB, haha!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 10:09pm

Post #294 of 355 (22914 views)
Shortcut
If I'd known people were looking.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would've kept stum! Cool

artemy
Lorien

Jul 10 2012, 10:18pm

Post #295 of 355 (23145 views)
Shortcut
Ah, we've been tricked! [In reply to] Can't Post

How dare you get our hopes up like that Tongue

I have however noticed what looks like a ribcage near Bilbo's feet - probably elven I suspect. I believe in the book it does mention elves sometimes falling prey to the spiders?

Furthermore I suspect that Kili's primary weapon will be his bow and arrows. I say this because to my joy (since I adore such details) in the trailer he is seen to be wearing an archery glove.
It shows that PJ and RT are being more flexible with the weapons for each race, i.e. not dwarves must use axes, bows are for elves, or something like that.

(This post was edited by artemy on Jul 10 2012, 10:20pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 10:23pm

Post #296 of 355 (23023 views)
Shortcut
I spotted that too [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure it's an elf (and can't remember the reference you refer to?)

It could just be a shot of Bilbo from under the Misty Mountains, photoshopped into Mirkwood. Could be a goblin skeleton?

Bauglir100
Bree

Jul 10 2012, 10:32pm

Post #297 of 355 (23272 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the picture of the Dwarves climbing the Mountain was supposed to represent "Overhill and Underhill", but they put it before "A Short Rest", instead of after it.

artemy
Lorien

Jul 10 2012, 10:48pm

Post #298 of 355 (23063 views)
Shortcut
Having perused my trusty 1997 Harper Collins edition [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't actually find any mention of elves being eaten by spiders, only that the elves have no mercy on the latter and are profoundly pissed off when the dwarves rouse them. Guess my memory was playing tricks on me Frown

However I did find answers as to why in vlog 7 the other dwarves are carrying Bombur through Mirkwood (he fell in the river), and perhaps why Thorin is seen behind Bilbo shooting at something in another of them (the black stag, if they choose to include it). So I'm contented.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 10 2012, 10:53pm

Post #299 of 355 (23132 views)
Shortcut
It's a white deer ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Saying that, I need to re-read the book before the films come out!

artemy
Lorien

Jul 10 2012, 10:57pm

Post #300 of 355 (23474 views)
Shortcut
Aha! You are wrong there [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a black stag (which Thorin kills), followed by a white doe and fawns (which escape) Wink

The exact quote: "on the path ahead appeared some white deer, a hind and fawns as snowy white as the hart had been dark".

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.