Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Fall of the Necromancer

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 7 2012, 6:04pm

Views: 2333
Shortcut
The Fall of the Necromancer Can't Post

Just stumbled upon an interesting idea on a thread from another website. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the protagonists fight the Necromancer/Ringwraiths/Others in a more subtle fashion? Rather than fireballs or other such "magic" being thrown around (which would, of course, look atrocious and would not be very lore-accurate), what if the good guys fought a battle of wills against the enemy in a manner similar to the Gandalf/Saruman duel in The Two Towers? (i.e. Gandalf freeing Theoden). The original quote states that the Council "Put forth their might". Given that the Council consists of some of the greatest thinkers in Middle-Earth, who would (naturally) be more suited to this kind of battle, wouldn't this be the more logical and interesting approach?

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early: he arrives precisely when he means to!"-Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring.

Subject User Time
The Fall of the Necromancer Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Jul 7 2012, 6:04pm
    I can't imagine Jackson being quite that subtle... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 7 2012, 6:19pm
        Agree completely // Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Jul 7 2012, 6:22pm
        That is also my main concern Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Jul 7 2012, 6:32pm
            I don't see the members of the Council engaging in hand-to-hand combat... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 7 2012, 6:41pm
                I agree and disagree...lol Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Jul 7 2012, 6:48pm
                    Different usages in different sentences... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 7 2012, 6:52pm
                the devices of Saruman Felagund Send a private message to Felagund Jul 7 2012, 7:08pm
                    Mechanical and/or magical devices Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 7 2012, 7:12pm
                        but didn't treebeard say "of late" Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 7 2012, 7:20pm
                            Considering the way that Treebeard's mind works... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 7 2012, 7:23pm
                        Ok I resign myself to this idea Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Jul 7 2012, 7:23pm
                            Some sort of device Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Jul 7 2012, 10:52pm
                            There is no real evidence either way Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jul 7 2012, 11:40pm
                                The full passage may bestow enlightenment as to Tolkien's intent. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 8 2012, 3:39am
                                    I hope it's more magical artemy Send a private message to artemy Jul 8 2012, 12:15pm
                                        Even now, the word can be read as 'stratagem' as used in the passage Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 8 2012, 3:04pm
                                        I'm voting for strategies instead... Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 8 2012, 3:55pm
                    Devices of Saruman dave_lf Send a private message to dave_lf Jul 9 2012, 1:16pm
            songs of power etc Felagund Send a private message to Felagund Jul 7 2012, 6:51pm
                I like this idea Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jul 7 2012, 7:03pm
        I agree with Otaku on this one, largely AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jul 8 2012, 9:53pm
    well i posted this pic else where but I think Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 7 2012, 6:57pm
        In reply to Felagund Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Jul 7 2012, 7:08pm
            brilliant idea! Felagund Send a private message to Felagund Jul 7 2012, 7:12pm
            nice idea but... Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 7 2012, 7:16pm
            The Palantir of Orthanc Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 7 2012, 7:18pm
        but i think that pic is from a flashback MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 8 2012, 7:31pm
            don't think so, he is carrying Glamdring... Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 8 2012, 7:37pm
                i have heard that he will have glamdring before trollshadows MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 8 2012, 7:59pm
                    Where have you heard that? DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 8 2012, 8:03pm
                        I was expecting Shelob to comment here ;) // QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Jul 8 2012, 8:12pm
                            I'm sure its coming LOL// Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 8 2012, 8:14pm
                                I wouldn't want to ruin his fun! :-D / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 8 2012, 8:18pm
                        well in the scene before it clearly shows Gandalf with glamdring... MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 8 2012, 10:23pm
                            There's one simple piece of evidence that he finds Glamdring at the Trollshaws... QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Jul 8 2012, 10:32pm
                                like I said Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 8 2012, 10:43pm
                                    Glamdring is absent in the fight scene. Pipe Dream Send a private message to Pipe Dream Jul 8 2012, 10:52pm
                                        I don't think Gandalf likes swords... QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Jul 8 2012, 10:59pm
                                            I know. It's Gandalf. Pipe Dream Send a private message to Pipe Dream Jul 8 2012, 11:30pm
                                                probably Ian McKellan's stand in Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 8 2012, 11:55pm
                                                    agreed MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 8 2012, 11:57pm
                                                        i'm still thinking Gandalf will be alone Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 9 2012, 12:02am
                                                            don't think so MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 9 2012, 12:09am
                                                                we shall see, we shall see Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 9 2012, 12:41am
                                                                    I would point out Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 9 2012, 8:58am
                                                                        ok ok one of the first... Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 9 2012, 5:26pm
                                                            Hadn't thought of that before dave_lf Send a private message to dave_lf Jul 9 2012, 1:18pm
                                                                Oh lord, I hope you're wrong. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 9 2012, 2:10pm
                                                                    Not alone dave_lf Send a private message to dave_lf Jul 9 2012, 2:16pm
                                                                        I was also thinking of a previous post... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 9 2012, 2:41pm
                                                                            well I also said Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 9 2012, 5:22pm
                                                                    I have to agree here... Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jul 9 2012, 6:42pm
                                                                        I still hope that Gandalf's lone exploration of Dol Guldur is left in the past... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Jul 9 2012, 8:26pm
                                                                            Absolutely agree AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jul 9 2012, 10:51pm
                                                                I really hope you are wrong. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 9 2012, 2:34pm
                                                                Uh oh Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jul 9 2012, 4:23pm
                                                            But we know Elrond goes to Dol Guldur... QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Jul 9 2012, 2:06pm
                                            but... MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Jul 8 2012, 11:46pm
                                                How do you know this? Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jul 9 2012, 12:00am
                            But we don't see any evidence of Glamdring in his fight with presumed Thrain AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jul 9 2012, 12:41am
                    haven't heard that one Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 8 2012, 8:12pm
                        In the trailer there are two instances artemy Send a private message to artemy Jul 8 2012, 8:49pm
                            But is that DolGuldur in flash back, Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Jul 8 2012, 9:27pm
                    There is no evidence of him having Glamdring before the Trollshaws Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Jul 8 2012, 10:02pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.