Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Total Film Reveals Hobbit Romance Spoiler in their Summer 2012 Future 100
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jun 10 2012, 7:31am

Post #1 of 46 (5189 views)
Shortcut
Total Film Reveals Hobbit Romance Spoiler in their Summer 2012 Future 100 Can't Post

'Hobbit Romance.' Yup! We knew it was going to show up somewhere.

Before we get to the spoiler fun, Total Film has named six 'Hobbit' actors as part of their Summer 2012 Future 100: Aidan Turner (Kili), Evangeline Lilly (Tauriel), Martin Freeman (Bilbo), Richard Armitage (Thorin), Luke Evans (Bard)  and Benedict Cumberbatch (Smaug/Necromancer).

We've attached a scan from the magazine for your viewing pleasure. (Courtesy of richardarmitagenet.com)

So now for the spoiler...highlight the text to read the details: (or if for some reason you can see text below, stop reading!)

"Kili's part has been expanded from the novel; as well as chasing treasure, he's also pursuing female elf Tauriel. But is he setting his sights too high? 'I guess he knows nothing can ever happen,' he explains. 'She's about 20ft tall and he's only two!'"

So there you have it - at least one hint at how romance may play a part in The Hobbit! [TotalFilm]

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 10 2012, 1:21pm

Post #2 of 46 (1932 views)
Shortcut
Old story [In reply to] Can't Post

This was already posted here about five days ago.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Not_the_beard
The Shire

Jun 10 2012, 1:34pm

Post #3 of 46 (2005 views)
Shortcut
Total Film Trolling [In reply to] Can't Post

I really think this is the magazine trolling more than Aidan. Notice where the quotation marks are. It's the magazine who says he's pursuing the elf. I feel like that's spoiler material Aidan wouldn't be entitled to share. He probably was asked that question and jokingly went a long with it. The magazine knows that this would cause a stir, so they ran it hoping for more views. It's also so ridiculous, they might have hoped that people's better judgment would see it as the joke that it is. Think about it, expanding his role just for a romance with a made up character? PJ wouldn't dare.

sueb1863
Rivendell

Jun 10 2012, 2:34pm

Post #4 of 46 (1923 views)
Shortcut
Wanna bet?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that! After all, this is the guy who had Denethor run all the way from the tombs of Minas Tirith to the top of the city - a very long distance, all while he was TOTALLY ON FIRE - just so he could jump off the edge, all because PJ thought it would "look cool" to show him plummeting down in a ball of flames. I wouldn't put anything at all past him just because it seems too silly.

(This post was edited by sueb1863 on Jun 10 2012, 2:39pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 10 2012, 2:53pm

Post #5 of 46 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Spoiler [In reply to] Can't Post

This thread could really have done without the word "Romance" in its title. The presence of the word in itself is a spoiler. The title "Total Film Reveals Hobbit Spoiler in their Summer 2012 Future 100" (no "Romance") would have been just as effective.

I'm not reading the thread's content at all - I'm just responding to the title.

I've been waiting for a sign, as we move closer to wrap and release, for when the rumors, speculation, facts and temptation to publish them are too numerous and strong to resist. That's when it could be time to drop out of the forums entirely so that I can actually enjoy the movie, surprises and all.

The time may have just arrived.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jun 10 2012, 2:54pm)

eralkfang
Lorien

Jun 10 2012, 3:50pm

Post #6 of 46 (1753 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson also did that for thematic reasons, to underscore the fact that Denethor is just one guy in this massive battle. Silly or not (up to the viewer), there was a bit of point.

Now, I can't imagine a thematic point to this

dwarf_girl
The Shire

Jun 10 2012, 3:51pm

Post #7 of 46 (1756 views)
Shortcut
It is possible... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see it happening. Only in a platonic way, of course... This would be a love triangle, if we add Legolas in the mix, lol.

sueb1863
Rivendell

Jun 10 2012, 4:03pm

Post #8 of 46 (1690 views)
Shortcut
Great Balls of Fire [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Jackson also did that for thematic reasons, to underscore the fact that Denethor is just one guy in this massive battle. Silly or not (up to the viewer), there was a bit of point.

I think, for me, anyway, that any thematic point regarding Denethor was lost by the sheer illogic of the situation. I wasn't thinking, "Wow, he's just one guy in a massive battle" as I watched him fall off the edge of the upper level in a ball of fire. I was thinking, "How did he manage to run all that distance while engulfed in flames? He wouldn't even be able to go twenty feet without his body collapsing." It made no sense at all.

The second runner-up in the Makes No Sense department was Frodo sending Sam away right before the Shelob scene. Not only was he completely betraying his most loyal friend ever, but he seemed to fully expect Sam to be able to get all the way back to Hobbiton on his own. Yeah, good luck getting through the Mines of Moria, Sam! The only thing more astonishing is Sam actually leaves.

And that's why I have no problem believing that PJ would have Kili be in love with Tauriel. I love the LotR movies but I know PJ's judgment isn't always the best when it comes to plot points and narrative.

dwarf_girl
The Shire

Jun 10 2012, 4:13pm

Post #9 of 46 (1777 views)
Shortcut
About Frodo sending Sam away [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The second runner-up in the Makes No Sense department was Frodo sending Sam away right before the Shelob scene. Not only was he completely betraying his most loyal friend ever, but he seemed to fully expect Sam to be able to get all the way back to Hobbiton on his own. Yeah, good luck getting through the Mines of Moria, Sam! The only thing more astonishing is Sam actually leaves.

I think that twist was necesary to show to the general audience the amount of negative influence that the ring could have. It was even capable of alienating two very good friends, and darken the judgment to unbelievable limits.

(This post was edited by dwarf_girl on Jun 10 2012, 4:17pm)

sueb1863
Rivendell

Jun 10 2012, 4:21pm

Post #10 of 46 (1655 views)
Shortcut
I can buy that [In reply to] Can't Post

I can believe the influence of the Ring idea, but I still don't get why Sam actually left. Did he really think he was going to get very far by himself, let alone all the way back to Hobbiton? Not to mention that he's leaving his beloved friend in the hands of a creature that he KNOWS is a murderous little creep. I would have thought that Sam would have simply dropped back far enough to follow them unobserved, just so he could make sure Frodo was safe. I don't think Sam would *ever* willingly abandon Frodo, no matter what.

PJ could have shown him following Frodo and Gollum at a distance and coming across the tossed-away lembas while ducking among the rocks.

Hopefully, if Kili really is in love with Tauriel, PJ will stage it so it makes more sense than this.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jun 10 2012, 5:02pm

Post #11 of 46 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Fortunately PJ has already ruled Legolas out of this nonsense [In reply to] Can't Post

one year ago while announcing the new character Tauriel you know.

L.J. Kiosq
The Shire

Jun 10 2012, 5:43pm

Post #12 of 46 (1694 views)
Shortcut
On the bright side [In reply to] Can't Post

At least fanfictions about dwarf/elf romances won't be confined to Gimli and Legolas anymore...IF this new plot line is all true.

And I would like to put the question out there. Is this really all that bad? All this means is that (spoilers!!!) someone might mourn Kili on a more personal level than in the books when he dies defending his uncle. Heck, she might even die with him.

Though I am not in love with this possible new turn, remember that the producers might be demanding a romantic involvement somewhere, so what's the harm of doing it this way? This wouldn't change the spirit of the novel. It's adding, not taking away. And we all know that Tolkien was a sucker for impossible romances. Aragorn and Arwen, Beren and that other elf girl. Kili and Tauriel? It's not gonna ruin the story. Would everyone rather a Bilbo and Thorin relationship? (AAARRGGGHHHHH!!!!! Get that image out of my HEAD!)

Milknut
Rohan

Jun 10 2012, 5:44pm

Post #13 of 46 (1592 views)
Shortcut
I don't Sam's reaction was that far-fetched [In reply to] Can't Post

The purpose of the plot point was to show the divisiveness and corruption of the ring, even in the face of the strongest friendships. Sam left because Frodo's dismissal was so earth-shattering to him that he could do nothing but run. And, if you remember, he gets over this eventually and turns back. So even though he goes at first he ends up still adhering to your analysis of him: he'd never truly leave Frodo.

As for Fili/Tauriel: I call "bull****." I think Not_the_beard hit it right on the nose.

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jun 10 2012, 5:58pm

Post #14 of 46 (1628 views)
Shortcut
"Would everyone rather a Bilbo and Thorin relationship?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, me :) At least there isn't such a big height difference Tongue

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 10 2012, 6:24pm

Post #15 of 46 (1561 views)
Shortcut
I think most people see the thematic rationale for it [In reply to] Can't Post

But object to the blatant unsubtlety of that theme's expression. So unsubtle that it borders on the highly implausible. This was probably the greatest example of the script's amateurish style. Dramatic reversals! Dramatic reversals! Okay, Philippa, Fran and PJ, put down the script-writing 101 guide, and think about this on a broader level.

This line of thinking also led to the elimination of Gollum's flash of sympathy/empathy for Frodo and Sam moment, arguably one of the most powerful moments in the book. It got flipped on its head, and Gollum's was, in fact, sneaking!

Awful, IMO.

Marionette
Rohan

Jun 10 2012, 8:09pm

Post #16 of 46 (1449 views)
Shortcut
Dont worry [In reply to] Can't Post

Fanfics will make it Laugh

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

dwarf_girl
The Shire

Jun 10 2012, 9:04pm

Post #17 of 46 (1452 views)
Shortcut
I can see the ship wars already... [In reply to] Can't Post

And let's no forget about Galadriel/ Gandalf Wink

dwarf_girl
The Shire

Jun 10 2012, 9:06pm

Post #18 of 46 (1382 views)
Shortcut
I agree: It's not that bad... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's a little out there, but I prefer a love plot with one of the dwarves, than one with Legolas on it (that would be so obvious).
Kili wasn't made so hot for nothing. His elvish appearance may have a purpose.

(This post was edited by dwarf_girl on Jun 10 2012, 9:09pm)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 10 2012, 9:09pm

Post #19 of 46 (1378 views)
Shortcut
Precedent [In reply to] Can't Post

This sort of thing isn't without precedent by Tolkiens own hand ... ie Gimli/Galadriel and his adoration of her.

That being said, it would be corny to rehash this again, unless done in a such a way as to be different.

I mentioned in the other previous thread that Fili has a serious crush and his love is unrequited as a possibilty.

Other than that I just don't see it, heck she shouldn't be in the movie anyhoo ...

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well

Symbelmine
Rohan

Jun 10 2012, 9:17pm

Post #20 of 46 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Nothing is sacret to the fangirls. [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 10 2012, 9:19pm

Post #21 of 46 (1294 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

And what, exactly, would be the value of rehashing the Gimli/Galadriel thing?

My guess is that it will be a bit more fleshed out than that. Aidan Turner has little to no prosthetics, is entirely beardless, and there is no other romantic content to any part of the films. So, my guess is that there will be something of a flirtation in both film 1 and 2.

This may be partly why Evangeline has been so nervous about fan reactions...

If this pans out, it, and the very unoriginal decision to create a new female warrior character, may turn out to be the real low points of PJ, Fran and Philippa's creativity across TH and LOTR.

It may all be something forced by the studio, but even so, it's a shame.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 10 2012, 9:24pm

Post #22 of 46 (1354 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this, surprisingly enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would rather an added bit of quirky, standard defying Elf/Dwarf flirtation, than another run of the mill Apollo and Aphrodite picturesque snooze fest.

And I stand by my wish to see it get the full on Game of Thrones romance treatment!Wink

In Reply To
Maybe it's a little out there, but I prefer a love plot with one of the dwarves, than one with Legolas on it (that would be so obvious).

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 10 2012, 9:35pm

Post #23 of 46 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think that his "elvishness" has the purpose of making him a plausible candidate for a dwarf-elf flirtation.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea...

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 10 2012, 9:51pm

Post #24 of 46 (1304 views)
Shortcut
ugh outside influences [In reply to] Can't Post

It may all be something forced by the studio, but even so, it's a shame.

I agree.

I read the other day something about Guillermo Del Toros upcoming film Pacific Rim.

Originally he had planned and got budgeted to make a movie of HP Lovecrafts At the Mountains of Madness, BUT the studio refused to lethim make it with an "R" rating. He scrapped it and moved on to do the Pacific Rim, because of it, so theres no telling what the studion is making them do/add to The Hobbit ...

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Jun 10 2012, 10:13pm

Post #25 of 46 (1348 views)
Shortcut
Most people ... [In reply to] Can't Post

As in most people who saw the film, or as in most most people who don't like that scene?

LR

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.