First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Xoanon
PTB

Oct 9 2007, 6:55pm

Post #1 of 28 (36337 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson and the Deathly Hallows? Can't Post

Kevin Johns, (Cult)u're Magazine Cinema Editor writes:

Over at www.culturemagazine.ca we've started a campaign called "Peter Jackson for The Hallows!".

Under whelmed with the quality of the last Harry Potter film, we have decided that no one other than Peter Jackson has the skills necessary to make Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows the film it deserves to be. We're using the commenting function at the bottom of the article (http://www.culturemagazine.ca/content/view/57/54/) as an online petition and we hope to get lots of names signed up.

Obviously we don't expect Jackson to actually direct the film, but we thought this would be a fun event that could get people talking and dreaming about how great a Jackson directed Potter film would be.

The (Cult)u're Magazine editorial team has had a great time talking about this amazing pipe dream, and we'd love to spread the discussion out into the greater Peter Jackson online community. As the most respected Jackson site out there, we would love the support of Theonering.net. If you could mention the article on your News page, or somehow direct your faithful readers in our direction, that would be just wonderful!

We are big fans of your site, and we greatly appreciate your time and assistance.

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net
http://www.KongisKing.net
http://www.TheOneLion.net
http://www.gallifreyone.com

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2007, 7:54pm

Post #2 of 28 (31714 views)
Shortcut
As long as he does 'The Hobbit' first [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he would be a good choice to direct the last Harry Potter film, but with the other projects he actually has planned i'm not sure if he'd have time to do it, let alone if our dreams come true and he's involved (in some way) with 'The Hobbit'.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Oct 9 2007, 8:03pm

Post #3 of 28 (31609 views)
Shortcut
Agree 1000% [In reply to] Can't Post

There was also talk years ago about Spielberg directing at least one of them.

I didn't think the last Harry Potter movie was bad, but the script wasn't as strong
as the previous two.

Hey, it looks like I may be able to kill the the boycottnewline.com domain in the not-too-distant future!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2007, 8:25pm

Post #4 of 28 (31594 views)
Shortcut
Yeah...after he finishes both Hobbit movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

and if, when he's done, The Sil rights become available, ya can't have him then, either!Sly

For Gondor!

Elven
Valinor

Oct 9 2007, 9:25pm

Post #5 of 28 (31543 views)
Shortcut
He's a wanted Man!! [In reply to] Can't Post

... but we want him more Laugh

Hobbit first!!!

But, the sentiment is such a compliment to a great director!!
I hope you get many names on the petition!

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2007, 10:45pm

Post #6 of 28 (31539 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson has talent . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

When you think about it, Peter Jackson can make just about any movie he makes great, especially when it comes to fantasy. Of course, there's other films that he's already scheduled to make, so that might lower the chances of him ever getting involved. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing what PJ has to offer to HP. Cool

"Death is just another pathway. . .one which we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

Azog the Uruk

Oct 9 2007, 10:46pm

Post #7 of 28 (31717 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson making the Harry Potte... SICK!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lord of the Rings is the best book and movie ever, and I may go crazy if Peter Jackson directs a Harry Potter movie. I don't want The Lord of the Rings to be associated Harry Potter because Harry Potter isn't that great.I think Harry Potter is really overrated and not good.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Oct 9 2007, 11:07pm

Post #8 of 28 (31426 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather see PJ's "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" if it can't be the Hobbit./ [In reply to] Can't Post

1st JRRT Map Moot in Chicago-- Nov. 2-4, 2007
Another to follow!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JRRTMapsChicago/?yguid=178797892

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 9 2007, 11:36pm

Post #9 of 28 (31532 views)
Shortcut
Bring back Alfonso Cuarón. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's done by far the best job on that franchise. And it leaves Peter free for The Hobbit.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 10 2007, 12:03am

Post #10 of 28 (31583 views)
Shortcut
While he did a great job [In reply to] Can't Post

bringing the necessary darkness to film 3, I didn't feel that Cuaron captured the Englishness of the story. The director of film 4, whoever he was, did a beautiful job in that regard.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

tiamy
Rivendell

Oct 10 2007, 12:45am

Post #11 of 28 (31455 views)
Shortcut
That's great.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as long as he did 'The Hobbit' first.
DH release date is supposed to be 2010. That's about the time when the Hobbit is supposed to be released if Jackson helms it.
But I'm not sure if the HP fans will be patient enough to wait for it until 2012.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 10 2007, 1:01am

Post #12 of 28 (31643 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I can just see it now! [In reply to] Can't Post

"The wizard world is changed."

Harry falls off a cliff.

Xermoine goes to King's Cross.

"Go home, Ron."

The Minister-whacking.

Lots of lingering closeups of hands holding horcruxes.

"Ginny is dying" subplot.

A "Massive" Battle of Hogwart, including the arrival of a swarm of green glowing Blast-Ended Skrewts.

At the end, a tickle party in the Hogwarts infirmary.

(Hey! This actually sounds pretty good!)

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2007, 1:41am

Post #13 of 28 (31515 views)
Shortcut
You're a hoot. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how PJ would film other wizard movies. The King Arthur legend, for example. Or Oz. Probably Dorothy and Glinda would beat the Wicked Witch of the West to death in a secluded park.

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 10 2007, 1:47am

Post #14 of 28 (31579 views)
Shortcut
Voldemort: "It takes someone... *book spoiler* [In reply to] Can't Post

with an Elder Wand to win this battle ... revolution ... thing!"
Harry: "Well that's you out then! Expelliarmus!"

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 10 2007, 2:14am

Post #15 of 28 (31581 views)
Shortcut
"Give up the horcrux, she-muggle!" / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

theredsunrises

Oct 10 2007, 2:42am

Post #16 of 28 (31484 views)
Shortcut
David Yates was OK, but PJ is better [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ should totally direct Deathly Hallows. And there should be an extended edition! I'm all for it!

"The red sun rises in the East. Blood has been spilled."--Legolas

theredsunrises

Oct 10 2007, 2:44am

Post #17 of 28 (31461 views)
Shortcut
Someone had a bit too much butterbeer [In reply to] Can't Post

Alfonso was good, but PJ would definitely be the best!!!!

"The red sun rises in the East. Blood has been spilled."--Legolas

YodatheHobbit
Rivendell

Oct 10 2007, 3:18am

Post #18 of 28 (31425 views)
Shortcut
Yates, Cuaron, or Jackson. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's one of those three I'll be happy. I have a gut feeling it's gonna be Yates though if he hits HBP out of the park and then still wants to do it.

When the seas and mountains fall and we come to end of days, in the dark I hear your call calling me there, i will go there and back again.

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 10 2007, 5:02am

Post #19 of 28 (31423 views)
Shortcut
You guys crack me up! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I NEED a good laugh right now...

You'd be amazed, reading the Comments boards on Mugglenet, how many people do NOT want even Cuaron. They all want Chris Columbus back!
And for the very reason that Films 1 and 2 followed the books *exactly* and had that "whimsical" feel. They're disturbed that the films are getting too much like our world and don't feel "magical." HELLO! Columbus is a "kiddie" director! Or at least that's his specialty. And not even multi-layered stories, but stuff like "Home Alone"--still his signature piece.
You try to tell people that after Book 4 things pretty much go to hell in the Wizarding World and how do you expect Mr. "Home Alone" to direct "The Cave" scene from Half-Blood Prince, or Chapter 36 in Deathly Hallows (i.e. "Harry's walk through the forest" /a.k.a WHERE WE ALL DEGENERATE COMPLETELY INTO SLOBBERING WRECKS)..and they still vent on silly mundane things like the kids wearing regular clothes instead of robes! I kid you not.

People, as a hardcore HP fan, I have to tell you that we LOTR fans are meek and mild. The HP fanworld is 100 TIMES WORSE. Honest to God, you have no idea. I'm even prepared to say they're worse than 30 yrs of Star Wars fans, and I'll take my boxing gloves off for that.

Book 6 would be a challenge for any director. With the exception of a wedding in the early chapters where ther'es some great one-liners regarding Harry's 17th birthday, the whole darned book is a tragedy from start to finish. There is absolutely NO humor or comic relief at all. At least in LOTR you could take Gimli's few humerous lines and expand in it and rewrite his character, but in DH, not only does one of the series's key "comic relief" characters die a gruesome, "on-camera": death, we are treated to the torture of his funeral. I'm avoiding names in the unlikely event that there are still people who haven;t read it.)

Ok...It's late, I'm tired and stressed out, and when I'm tired and stressed out my Irish gets up and I dissolve into floods of words. It's the James Joyce disease ("if he didn't write it all down he would have talked it all out in a pub") . I'm trying not to make my posts 12 miles long.

Cuaron would suit Film 6 better than he did Film 3, paradoxically, because the overwhelming dark themes of corruption, betrayal, totalitarianism, and untimely death, as well as fear of untimely death, need to be the main focus and any insistence on "regional aesthetics" would only distract from the tale. Yes, of course, it needs to be grounded in English culture etc but in this film, a de-emphasis on the mannerisms etc would detract from the grandeur of the tale. Yes, we know the time and place, but that's all we need to know. We have to be taken out of Britain and made to fel that we could be anywhere. These kids are adults now and there's no longer as self-conscious a need to focus on the culture...or it should be secondary, a backdrop.

As far as Yates goes...I love his style, but his composer left something to be desired. The absence of a strong dramatic score really was the one really bad thing. These are epic stories that deserve an epic score. There were a couple lovely, understated cues when Harry talks to Sirius, but other than that, and the "posession" scene--which had me excited for people were comparing it to "The Breaking OF The Fellowship" , it's nowhere near that; if SHORE had scored that fight!) the score was a huge disappointment. You don;t need John Williams to have a wonderful score--whoever did the score for Film 4 (I always forget his name) would be great. The music he wrote for the ball and Harry's loneliness (think meeting Cho in the owlery )is just gorgeous. Listen to it over the closing credits.
Yates's composer (it's the guy who worked on TV scores for him, and he still sounds like a TV composer) ..I have doubts if he can pull off such dramatic scenes as "The Cave", any of the epic Dickensian Pensieve flashbacks, or the death of Dumbledore....which really *IS* a "Breaking Of The Fellowship" moment...that scene must have been inspired literarily by Boromir's drawn-out death. And when you think about it, after what we learn about Dumbledore in DH, the analogy is perfectly apt. Dumbledore is just as conflicted and "gray" a character as Boromir and even if he chose to die, his death is not so much a tragedy as a penance and redemption.

Book 5 was the longest and most difficult to adapt, and except for the criminal truncation of "Snape's Worst Memory" (we don't even *see* LIiy, let alone her not speaking!) Yates did the best job possible. There are some things that he never could have anticipated (Dobby''s role, which foreshadows his riole in DH) Though the absence of Lily is really going to pose problems. There was a strong "Snape Loves Lily" camp before DH came out, and we knew it would prove important to the overall plot of the HP storyline; and so it turned out...Lily is even more important than we thought, and that chapter in Book 5 turns out to be the most important chapter of the first 6 books. It's like "The Shadow Of The Past", I often compared it to when reading that chapter. Yates is a good learner, he has done an admirable job of adapting to film;I have no doubt that hewill handle Slughorn, the Pensive, and the romantic interplay perfectly. but we need an experienced helmer, a master of the epic cinematic medium, for DH, for that extra touch. DH needs to be an Oscar-worthy work, even if everyone nows it will not be nominated.

PJ would be great of course, but I fear that he would be tempted to insert a little humor into the story. And as he has said he does not like magic as a whole, he would try to cut out things like Dobby as much as possible, and focus on the Muggle-like aspects of the Wizarding world. But I guess the main reason I want Cuaron is that, from watching the POA DVD extras, I get the feeling that he is the only one of the HP directors who, like PJ with LOTR, is a genuine fan of the books. That is what has been missing with all the HP films except POA: (though GOF had its brilliant moments) a genuine sense that the director loves his subject and is passionate about realizing it onscreen. All the others, even Yates (as much as he professes to having fallen in love with Jo's world) I get the feeling that they're latecomers to the bandwagon who are just slogging it out.
Cuaron was just as new to the books as his predecessors were, but he read all three and in his sense of adventurousness, his playfulness, and the raw emotion that shows onscreen, as well as his subtle cinematic references that let the viewer know that we are in a Great Story (refing "Citizen Kane" in the Leaky Cauldron! the shot where Harry looks down through the window onto the train station) are a step beyond the others. Just as PJ did with LOTR he expanded and fleshed it out a bit, and that adds to the tale. And the flow of POA, there is a delicate, lyrical sensibilty that contrasts with the "big" moments, a gatheirng both of light and dark, and the humor in just the right place. Even if he isn't always on the mark, nine times out of ten he hits it. His onscreen invention of Lupin made me fall absolutely in love with a character I mostly passed over in the book, though I felt sorry for him., it took David Thewlis's depiction to make me love the character.

leilani

Oct 10 2007, 7:22am

Post #20 of 28 (31478 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson and Harry Potter [In reply to] Can't Post

The last film was the best, most sophisticated of all of the Harry Potter films--and the only one of the series that I saw more than once. It's far better than the earlier films, and this director should be the one who films the last book.

As a Tolkien lover since the 1960's who teaches a college course on Tolkien, I would say Jackson is a highly gifted director who inhabits Tolkien's universe of Middle-earth as no other director could--to a level I would not have thought possible. However, that universe is not Harry Potter's universe, and I do not believe he would be the best choice to reveal it to the world. /email]

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Oct 10 2007, 11:54am

Post #21 of 28 (31388 views)
Shortcut
Frodo looks in Mirror, discovers that his deepest desire is to be a giant flaming eye./ [In reply to] Can't Post

1st JRRT Map Moot in Chicago-- Nov. 2-4, 2007
Another to follow!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JRRTMapsChicago/?yguid=178797892

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 10 2007, 2:34pm

Post #22 of 28 (31458 views)
Shortcut
Interesting possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter's has demonstrated he can work in different genres through his screenwriting and directing on Heavenly Creatures. I just wonder if he would be interested in Harry Potter. He's been a Tolkien fan for years, and that's what inspired him to work so hard on LOTR. I don't know if he's a Harry Potter fan, but doing movie 7 means he would be away from home for over a year and would have no choice in the casting, location, scenery, etc. Is there much to tempt him?

Some directors have said that the Harry Potter movies aren't that interesting to them to work on because of the huge book fan base. Those fans are even more fervent that LOTR fans about staying close to the book and that doesn't give directors much freedom to use their own voice - they're merely parroting the books in a visual manner. I wonder if Peter would be challenged by a Harry Potter movie.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

White Gull
Lorien

Oct 10 2007, 2:56pm

Post #23 of 28 (31318 views)
Shortcut
lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

White Gull
Lorien

Oct 10 2007, 2:57pm

Post #24 of 28 (31365 views)
Shortcut
Er.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I could come up with a few "deepest desires" for Frodo that might be a lot more fun to read.

Angelic

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 11 2007, 4:10am

Post #25 of 28 (31508 views)
Shortcut
Funnily enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter might have "dealt" with this. Both in the Party scene (specifically when he is doing that "funky chicken dance" (his interpretation of the Springle-ring? and at the end of LOTR,at Sam's wedding, Elijah Wood is standing next to an actress who looks VERY much like him. The inference is that PJ gave Frodo, if not an outright girlfriend, a lass that he was trying to impress, at least.

Things that make you go "hm"!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.