Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Young moviegoers want theaters to allow texting?!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 10:33am

Post #1 of 65 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Young moviegoers want theaters to allow texting?! Can't Post

A survey has found that over 50% of people aged 18-34 believe that using social media while watching a movie in a theater would add to their experience.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...-social-media-302921

Is it just me who finds this extremely annoying? I feel like I'm getting old, but at 23 that can't be the case! I'm not sure if the poll was strictly for USA residents, and I wonder whether the results would differ elsewhere. But I do have a few friends in the UK that simply cannot watch a film without a phone in their hand. It drives me mad! Mad

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2012, 11:02am

Post #2 of 65 (354 views)
Shortcut
Not just you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 11:02am

Post #3 of 65 (338 views)
Shortcut
that is ridiculous! [In reply to] Can't Post

i am 24 uk and i definitely dont want people to use their mobiles or anything else. It is etremely distracting to anyone else in the dark cinema when this bright shining light appears out of the corner of your eye. I have one friend whose iphone is literally glued to his hand, but when we went to the cinema my other friends and i said either you watch the film with us and not use your phone or you sit right at the back so you dont distract us.

Maybe they could have two screenings going on. One for people who want to watch the movie and enjoy it, the other to text, make phone calls, chat to each other, maybe play a little bit of Frisbee down at the bottom, lol.

I think it just comes down to respect. I paid for the ticket as did everyone else but a small but very noisy and bright (from their phones) minority make the movie experience worse. I would only say there has been a few times when i went to the cinema and everyone was silent apart from when they laughed at the film (which is great and adds to the atmosphere not taking away like two people saying how terrible the movie is, or texting right next to you or talking on the phone).

I think when im older i will get a home cinema and then i can hand pick people who come and see the movie, haha/

Nightingale
Rohan

Mar 22 2012, 12:54pm

Post #4 of 65 (373 views)
Shortcut
That seems very strange to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally find people using phones in cinemas really annoying, but beyond that, I don't understand why they don't want to go to watch the film?
I go to the cinema to 'escape' into another world, not to be constantly connected to reality through recieving updates on what other people are up to/what my friends think of the film right now etc. It would completely ruin the suspension of disbelief for me to be constantly pulled out of the world of the film....

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 22 2012, 1:26pm

Post #5 of 65 (343 views)
Shortcut
What a load of rubbish! [In reply to] Can't Post

How can anyone think it adds to their experience? I always question these type of "surveys" anyway. They probably only interviewed 10 people.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 22 2012, 1:36pm

Post #6 of 65 (338 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen this PSA from Alamo Drafthouse [In reply to] Can't Post

http://abcnews.go.com/...texting-psa-13782852

btw, I think this is the theater that has a LOTR trilogy every year with hobbity food.

If you turn your phone on in the theater (where it lights up), I'm pissed. I have evil thoughts.

But this happened at my favorite movie theater last year:

Last October, punches were thrown at the Southdale theater during a showing of ‘Paranormal Activity 3.” According to criminal charges filed the week after the incident, a 19-year-old moviegoer was being loud when someone told him to “shush.” When the “shusher” and his girlfriend walked past the offending teen to leave the theater, he was hit and suffered a broken nose, eye socket and jaw.

So, I try to keep the evil to thoughts.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 22 2012, 1:41pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 22 2012, 1:43pm

Post #7 of 65 (302 views)
Shortcut
+1 | Like | Mods Up | What she said // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 1:45pm

Post #8 of 65 (318 views)
Shortcut
HAHA hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is awesome, i wish my cinema did the same though and kicked anyone out who was being inconsiderate. I love how she says the other cinemas are polite as they let her text.

Im thinking i might set up my own cinema where you cant call, text etc. From the looks of the responses on here, it would do really well!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 1:49pm

Post #9 of 65 (324 views)
Shortcut
Magnited States of America!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bahaha, love it and the irony of them using it as an advert is wonderful too. Thanks Magpie!

Here's a fun story on the comments for the above article.

My friend and I went to go see "Safe House" a few weeks back. This couple sits next to us, and they were obnoxiously loud. Texted as well. She asks the guy she's with, "Where does your girlfriend think you are?" "At a friend's house."

My friend leans in and whispers to the guy, "Hey, uhh...I know who your girlfriend is. If you pull out your phone one more time or say anything while this movie plays, I will tell her where you are."

The guy never called my friend's bluff. Didn't make one sound.

Anyways, my friend cemented himself as a hero to me that day.

Hehe.

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 22 2012, 1:57pm

Post #10 of 65 (314 views)
Shortcut
cute story [In reply to] Can't Post

but I smell a Reader's Digest type funny story when I hear one. 10 to 1 it's more one of the 'amusing joke stories' than 'cross my heart real' stories. My aunt was great at telling those kind of stories about people she knew or family members. I used to believe them till I started hearing old comedians like Milton Berle tell the same stories. :-P

but, they're still amusing whether they're true or not.

LOTR soundtrack website

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 22 2012, 2:15pm

Post #11 of 65 (292 views)
Shortcut
bring back the "crying room" [In reply to] Can't Post

Theaters used to have a separate room at the back with a big window people could see the screen through, and separate sound system, where moms could take crying babies. I'd be fine with isolating those who treat a movie theater like their living room and talk or text during the movie.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 2:17pm

Post #12 of 65 (295 views)
Shortcut
i didnt even know that exists [In reply to] Can't Post

but that is the answer to all my cinema problems! I really hope they one day come back, like someone else mentioned earlier, its a shame when someones text takes you out of the film, ruins the experience and i dont know about everyone else but at the moment i cant afford to go every weekend so its a sort of treat to go.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 22 2012, 2:18pm

Post #13 of 65 (314 views)
Shortcut
Gods forbid the kids should consider the movie-going experiences of others [In reply to] Can't Post

So, their own enjoyment should come at the expense of their neighboring viewers? I don't think so! The little beggars can just learn to respect the feelings of those around them.

"Darkness beyond blackest pitch, deeper than the deepest night!
King of Darkness, who shines like gold upon the Sea of Chaos.
I call upon thee and swear myself to thee!
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess!"

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 22 2012, 6:17pm)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 2:22pm

Post #14 of 65 (301 views)
Shortcut
I looove Alamo Drafthouse! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised more theaters just like it haven't cropped up.

They serve food and alcohol, ban kids (except for Tuesdays), ban cell phones. That's my idea of a good movie experience. Now if only I can get tickets to their LOTR marathon feasts! They always sell out so quickly!

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 2:23pm

Post #15 of 65 (318 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone ever seen Idiocracy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because i think that is where we are heading. Sometimes i feel like i was born in the wrong decade/century!

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 22 2012, 2:24pm

Post #16 of 65 (286 views)
Shortcut
Ironically, in my favorite little theater [In reply to] Can't Post

it's the old folks who talk through the movie that ruin it for me, and there's always at least one couple who does. I'm talking the 70+ generation. The kids are usually better behaved! The other day there was a woman texting (and people yelled at her and she stopped) but she looked to be in her 40s.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 22 2012, 2:28pm

Post #17 of 65 (296 views)
Shortcut
I've never watched that film, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am familiar with CM Kornbluth's 1951 short story "The Marching Morons"!

"Darkness beyond blackest pitch, deeper than the deepest night!
King of Darkness, who shines like gold upon the Sea of Chaos.
I call upon thee and swear myself to thee!
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess!"

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 22 2012, 2:47pm

Post #18 of 65 (304 views)
Shortcut
I just spat my drink out ahahahaha! / [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 3:15pm

Post #19 of 65 (269 views)
Shortcut
You didn't subscribe! // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 3:24pm

Post #20 of 65 (308 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if too many texts would make the speakers go *dit dit dit dit* ? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2012, 4:59pm

Post #21 of 65 (274 views)
Shortcut
LOL QT, I make sure I have it off hehe.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....though my phone is like a cruddy 2006 Nokia phone hehe so I don't rly pay attention much to it

The Lord of the Hams:

There is only one lord of the ham...and he does not share ham

One Ham to ham them all and in the hamness ham them

If this is indeed the ham of the council, hamdor will fry it done.

This is no rabble of mindless porks, these are Hamak-Hai: their steak is thick, and their bacon broad

(courtesy of moreham and HamTheEast)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 22 2012, 7:19pm

Post #22 of 65 (278 views)
Shortcut
Then I'd probably be the first TORnado... [In reply to] Can't Post

arrested for physically improving MY theater experience! ;)

I already have one theater I avoid like the plague, because I've wanted to go all Dernhelm on multiple arses the last two times I was there. :/

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2012, 7:54pm

Post #23 of 65 (299 views)
Shortcut
There is no curse... [In reply to] Can't Post

that would be appropriate to say here to express my feelings towards this. I absolutely despise phones in the theater! I don't care if you have it on silent and are just taking a quick peek to see if you have any alerts; it's still inconsiderate to the audience and the movie itself. When you go to the movies, it's for the movies, not to swap messages through social media. If you honestly can't turn your phone off for a couple hours, then you shouldn't be watching movies, or even bother to be in a public place. The purpose of going out is to enjoy a social life, not to ignore it for one that you have from home.

That's all I will say on the matter at this time.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2012, 10:00pm

Post #24 of 65 (276 views)
Shortcut
I was at an IMAX theater the other day [In reply to] Can't Post

And in the row ahead of me, there was a mom who had three little kids (ages ranging from about three to seven). There was an announcer in the front of the theater before the movie started, giving the usual information about the movie length, where the popcorn is, etc, and she told everyone to turn off their phones. The mom in front of me kept her phone on, and was playing on it.

One older woman in the back actually shouted out and asked the announcer to repeat his comment about the phones, which he did, and the mom continued playing on her phone. It got to the point where even her children kept on asking her to turn off her phone because they were getting embarrassed, since everyone else in the theater was clearly getting annoyed with her. The mom kept the phone on and put it face-up on her lap while watching the movie, checking it continuously during the movie. I couldn't believe she kept messing with it, even AFTER all the announcements! If there was something going on that was so important that she had to keep it on, why was she in the theater?

Needless to say, I think phones totally ruin a theater experience-- even without sound, the brightness can be incredibly distracting.

‎"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."
--George R.R. Martin

Mozart and Chocolate
The College Student's List
Tolkien and Taters
Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2012, 10:04pm

Post #25 of 65 (246 views)
Shortcut
*chuckle* [In reply to] Can't Post

My roommate and I go to the Drafthouse all the time...at least the woman was from Austin? Wink

‎"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."
--George R.R. Martin

Mozart and Chocolate
The College Student's List
Tolkien and Taters
Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.