The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Lord of the Rings Inc.

Xoanon
PTB

Sep 24 2007, 1:49pm

Post #1 of 5 (1861 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings Inc. Can't Post

It's hard to remember now, when every respectable household contains the Special Extended DVD Edition of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings, but the celebrated trilogy was once considered a somewhat iffy proposition. That's part of the explanation for how Jackson, a rather obscure director from Kiwiland, was able to gain artistic control over what Newsweek once called "the most expensive and ambitious movie project in history." And by filming in New Zealand, where he had built his very own world-class production facility, Jackson was able to use the Pacific Ocean as a moat, protecting him from Hollywood interference. The result was that rare thing, a global film franchise that bears a personal stamp — an intimate epic.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=8550

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net
http://www.KongisKing.net
http://www.TheOneLion.net
http://www.gallifreyone.com

Elven
Valinor

Sep 25 2007, 7:14am

Post #2 of 5 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Some thoughts ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's hard to remember now, when every respectable household contains the Special Extended DVD Edition of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings, but the celebrated trilogy was once considered a somewhat iffy proposition. That's part of the explanation for how Jackson, a rather obscure director from Kiwiland, was able to gain artistic control over what Newsweek once called "the most expensive and ambitious movie project in history." And by filming in New Zealand, where he had built his very own world-class production facility, Jackson was able to use the Pacific Ocean as a moat, protecting him from Hollywood interference. The result was that rare thing, a global film franchise that bears a personal stamp — an intimate epic.

http://www.thedailypage.com/...cle.php?article=8550

I really enjoyed reading the interview - thankyou. I haven't read the Frodo Franchise, although I ordered it ... seems the bookshop is a little slow on coming up with the goods ...
It's something that has always interested me, the film arts down this way ... especially NZ and Australia.
Such an array of diversity between the two (though I do see them as being individual) ... and I think New Zealans has really gone ahead and taken advantage of their industry, and the timing has been spot-on. New Zealnd has so much to offer - especially with the dollar exchange. Austrlalia seems to be lagging, and might gain off the back of NZ .......
To me, New Zealand is MiddleEarth ... and everyone has a little piece of new Zealand in their home - the best bits Wink .. its beauty, its talent, its creative ingenuity, its ability, strength, hospitality and friendliness, enthusiam ... and throw in a bit of genius and innovation - it's in the films ..
I cant imagine what may have shown up on the screen if the movie had been done somewhere else ... OK ... lots of polystyropham rocks and inddor sets could have been put anywhere ... but the scenes which got me was Rohan ... yep, theres possibly some place in India which could have done it - but to have all the necessary atributes in one small spot on the globe, and the people to bring it together ... it was New Zealands call, and it was perfect.
And such a long way away from LA!! Mwahaha!!

Thanks for the link to the article with Kristen Thompson - I enjoyed reading it.

Elven

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

rakshi

Sep 26 2007, 4:08pm

Post #3 of 5 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Personal, yes. VERY personal. [In reply to] Can't Post

It bears a very personal stamp indeed.

Sadly, the stamp it doesn't bear... is Tolkiens.

*sigh*

FarFromHome
Valinor

Sep 26 2007, 4:54pm

Post #4 of 5 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Well until Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

returns from across the Sundering Seas, there's no way to get his personal stamp on anything any more! Even The Children of Hurin, despite his son's incredibly respectful approach, can't really be said to be exactly what Tolkien would have done.

The best honour you can pay to a work of art, IMO, is to treat it personally, and allow it to inspire you to put your own personal stamp on it. Too much respect does no-one any favours.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 26 2007, 5:00pm

Post #5 of 5 (1055 views)
Shortcut
*bows in agreement*... [In reply to] Can't Post

and shakes head enthusiastically.

For Gondor!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.