Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Mikael Persbrandt talks Beorn
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jan 10 2012, 10:42am

Post #1 of 41 (2540 views)
Shortcut
Mikael Persbrandt talks Beorn Can't Post

I found this interview with Mikael on the Swedish movie site www.moviezine.se. It was mostly about the Swedish action movie "Hamilton" (in which Mikael plays the lead character), but he was also asked a few question about The Hobbit. A few of you might find it interesting... my translation is maybe not that great, but I will try to clarify if something is unclear.

Are you done with "The Hobbit" now?
MP: No, definitely not. I'm going back in February. I'll start shooting "Hypnotis÷ren" with Lasse Hallstr÷m on Wednesday, then I'm off.
Are you in both "The Hobbit"-movies?
MP: Yes, I am. My character is pretty much as big as in the book. I'm not going to say so much more about it, because it's a big film company and they get so upset if I talk to much... But if you read the book you'll get a pretty good picture... and then maybe there's a little bit more.
How did they create your character Beorn? Prosthetics, or some kind of motion capture?
MP: Like I said earlier, I would like to survive the night. Otherwise, they'll send a missile after me I think. It's exciting to be in it. You'll see later. The premiere is a little less than a year away, in December.

http://www.moviezine.se/...ultravaringldsfacket

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2012, 11:17am

Post #2 of 41 (1391 views)
Shortcut
Thanks!! haha! Persbrandt's hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how much they're upset at BC for his comments!!???

Wink

The Five Istari:

Sarry, Gandy, Raddy, Ally and Pally

A great bunch :)

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Jan 10 2012, 11:18am)

triptrap
Lorien

Jan 10 2012, 11:43am

Post #3 of 41 (1254 views)
Shortcut
cool [In reply to] Can't Post

you're right, i wonder how much they're hating BC now for that idiotic statement.

I wonder what Persbrandt meant with "and maybe a little bit more"

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jan 10 2012, 12:29pm

Post #4 of 41 (1254 views)
Shortcut
He's referring to... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that the amount of screentime Beorn gets will pretty much be equivalent to how much Beorn is in the book, but that the role might be somewhat expanded upon...

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Jan 10 2012, 1:10pm

Post #5 of 41 (1191 views)
Shortcut
show, not tell [In reply to] Can't Post

We might get to see a bit more of what Beorn gets up to when the dwarves are chilling at his house, that they are told about later. (I hope so!) Though the Warg skinning head piking Beorn scenes could be gruesome...

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 10 2012, 2:20pm

Post #6 of 41 (1287 views)
Shortcut
This confirms to me that the 'torture scene' was indeed Beorn questioning the warg and goblin... [In reply to] Can't Post

And from the sound of it, it's a scene which may not actually make the final cut anyway. Seems they'd going to be pretty close to the book with Beorn, so that's cool. Maybe they felt bad about Bombadil and thought they'd give us a perfect Beorn as an apology. **fingers crossed**

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2012, 5:23pm

Post #7 of 41 (1037 views)
Shortcut
awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn kicks serious butt, can't wait! i hope they expand his character a bit more.

They captured members of the Faithful and sacrificed them in the fires of the altar, in the hope that Morgoth would release them from Death.

Milknut
Rohan

Jan 10 2012, 6:05pm

Post #8 of 41 (1012 views)
Shortcut
If only it worked like that... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

On the other hand I think they were absolutely right about Bombadil (love the guy, but he wouldn't have fit in the movie).

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2012, 6:07pm

Post #9 of 41 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Then why was Persbrandt [In reply to] Can't Post

"strapped to the ceiling"? This sounds like the "maybe a little bit more" to me. It's rather hard to question someone when you're stuck to the ceiling! Wink

Also, I hope they don't show one of our protagonists "torturing" someone (or even an unpredictable anti-hero such as Beorn doing so). This isn't 24!

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 10 2012, 6:13pm

Post #10 of 41 (987 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear the character will be given the full treatment! He sounds like he's having fun with it.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 10 2012, 7:32pm

Post #11 of 41 (997 views)
Shortcut
Hmm.. strapped to the ceiling could mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps he was harnessed to the ceiling so that he could jump really high or maybe they suspended him to give him height? I don't remember the quote that well, though.

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2012, 8:28pm

Post #12 of 41 (899 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure this is the "more" of Beorn he was referring to. showing the actual catching of the Warg and its rider and knocking the truth out of them before taking the goblins head off

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2012, 11:15pm

Post #13 of 41 (880 views)
Shortcut
The thought that the "stuck to the ceiling" thing had been for height [In reply to] Can't Post

had occurred to me as well...but it's not as likely, IMO, "I was hoisted to the ceiling for a difficult torture scene" implies to me anyway, that he was the one being restrained.

2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 11 2012, 12:13am

Post #14 of 41 (855 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so excited for Beorn that I can barely stand it.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Jan 11 2012, 12:35am

Post #15 of 41 (833 views)
Shortcut
if that's true, works for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would like that to be the case QuackingTroll.

As far as Make Up or motion capture, I'd wager a bit of both especially the latter for his bear form. I'd prefer the former only but won't happen.

Looking forward to seeing Michael as Beorn - big time. Really wish PJ would reveal his human form... I know we're still 11 months away but...

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

ArdamÝrŰ
Valinor

Jan 11 2012, 12:56am

Post #16 of 41 (793 views)
Shortcut
I love 24!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2012, 1:08am

Post #17 of 41 (856 views)
Shortcut
And...? [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jan 11 2012, 1:10am)

ArdamÝrŰ
Valinor

Jan 11 2012, 3:06am

Post #18 of 41 (775 views)
Shortcut
And nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

You just mentioned it, and i'm just saying i like itAngelic

But as to the topic, i do think that Beorn is the one being tortured, not doing the torturing. And i'm really excited to see what they end up doing with Beorn and how they bring him to life.

triptrap
Lorien

Jan 11 2012, 6:44am

Post #19 of 41 (744 views)
Shortcut
but why [In reply to] Can't Post

but why should beorn be tortured? it makes no sense and i can't remember anything in any book that he's being tortured somewhere/somewhen. correct me if i'm wrong

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2012, 6:51am

Post #20 of 41 (763 views)
Shortcut
i'm afraid you have me at a loss [In reply to] Can't Post

when in TH is Beorn tortured by a warg?

They captured members of the Faithful and sacrificed them in the fires of the altar, in the hope that Morgoth would release them from Death.

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 11 2012, 7:14am

Post #21 of 41 (740 views)
Shortcut
He tortures a goblin and warg [In reply to] Can't Post

To verify Gandalf's story. He does this while Bilbo and the dwarves are sleeping in Beorn's Hall.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2012, 7:20am

Post #22 of 41 (758 views)
Shortcut
Beorn does [In reply to] Can't Post

but Beorn himself isn't tortured in the book

triptrap
Lorien

Jan 11 2012, 8:53am

Post #23 of 41 (729 views)
Shortcut
right [In reply to] Can't Post

this is what i was asking for. why should Beorn be tortured? He does some of that in the book to the goblin and warg etc. but he himself is never the victim of any torture so why should we show that in the movie? makes little sense to me.
The only chance for that that i'm able to see is that he gets tortured by the goblins when they push him and his people out of the misty mountains, but that would only be a short backflash if it even gets shown. it's a lot more probable that he is shown chasing and torturing the goblin to verify the dwarves' story.

dave_lf
Gondor

Jan 11 2012, 3:13pm

Post #24 of 41 (669 views)
Shortcut
Beorn hates orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
this is what i was asking for. why should Beorn be tortured? He does some of that in the book to the goblin and warg etc. but he himself is never the victim of any torture so why should we show that in the movie? makes little sense to me.

They may feel a need to explain his intense hatred of orcs.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2012, 6:16pm

Post #25 of 41 (638 views)
Shortcut
Where in the thread [In reply to] Can't Post

did anyone say Beorn was tortured by a Warg? Unsure

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jan 11 2012, 6:24pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.