Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
First Hobbit trailer: TORn's frame-by-frame analysis

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Dec 23 2011, 2:46am

Views: 18507
Shortcut
First Hobbit trailer: TORn's frame-by-frame analysis Can't Post

On December 20th 2011 at approximately 10pm ET/7pm PT, Warner Brothers released the first official trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. What followed was a world of fans exploding in joy. We here at TheOneRing.net were equally giddy and now, after some time digesting, we offer our complete and detailed frame-by-frame look at the trailer.

Find the trailer online at Apple.com and TheHobbit.com.

The following screen caps and commentary are not confirmed and only speculation by the staff at TheOneRing.net.

And a special note: MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey - Click for Larger Version

"My dear Frodo. You asked me once if I had told you
everything there was to know about my adventures. "

Elijah Wood as Frodo Baggins is greeted by Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins

Random note: A welcome shot for fans of the original film trilogy. Nothing like seeing Eljiah and Ian back on a Hobbit set!

Calisuri: Is it me, or do Hobbit feet look a lot bigger this time around?

Demosthenes: No admittance -- except on party business! This is part of the flashback scene that we've heard about as the link point between the events of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. If Frodo isn't off to find Gandalf, I'll eat my hat.

Earl: That's definitely not Ian Holm standing on the porch. It seems to me this is Martin Freeman... I have a feeling that over the course of the films we'll get to see a "morph" of Martin Freeman's young Bilbo into Ian Holm's old Bilbo.

"While I can honestly say I have told you the truth ..."

Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins in Bag End

DemosthenesIt sounds almost as if Bilbo is reading from a letter. Perhaps it's even the letter he left for Frodo with the One Ring.

Quickbeam: Similar shot from FOTR where Bilbo writes what will become the Red Book of Westmarch, except this nighttime shot helps us realize the character is there all day and all night working!

" ... I may not have told you all of it."

Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins

Demosthenes: The older Bilbo (Holm) looks troubled that he has in part deceived Frodo about his youthful adventures.

Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins

Calisuri: Since the Hobbit rumors began, fan consensus has been that Martin would make an amazing Bilbo. Proof is in the pudding. Love it

DemosthenesBilbo outside Bag End blowing smoke rings. Is that a hint of a smoke ring? Anyway, we are sure the Chief Medical Officer (Surgeon General, if you prefer) does not approve.

maegwen:  Bilbo meets Gandalf, "Good morning!" "Good morning!" I am very pleased with Martin Freeman's Bilbo. Freeman is such a distinctive actor, I wondered how well he could lose himself in Bilbo's "skin" and I think -- from what we've seen -- he's surpassed expectations. Great actor, great Bilbo.

Quickbeam: Professor Tolkien tells us that hobbits have a penchant for wearing bright colors, "chiefly green and yellow."

Tehanu: Notice all the hobbit fabrics have a leaf/flower/vegetation motif. I like that detail - it reflects the hobbits’ nature-loving nature.

"I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure"

Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey

Click for Larger VersionRandom note: Gandalf's staff changes in shape throughout the LOTR films. In the Hobbit trailer it appears more furled than later in the trilogy. See image to the right.

Calisuri: He doesn't look a day older than FOTR to me!

Demosthenes: Gandalf's about to make Bilbo an offer he cannot refuse -- something likely to make Bilbo late for many dinners.

Quickbeam: The difference in Gandalf's staff seems to suggest a tree, or flowering plant, that is actually ALIVE -- steadily opening up over the years. Since this earlier staff is more closed, his later FOTR staff seems to have "grown" or "botanically advanced."

* Screencaps of Gandalf's staves courtesy of TORn staffer, Magpie

Bilbo Baggins tries to adjust to this pony-riding business

Demosthenes: Yes, you can have a pony. It may take a bit of getting used to, though. Is that Bombur's cauldron strapped to the panniers?

It's fair day in Hobbiton.

Random note: We've all read AICN's account of filming these scenes -- could that be the infamous well-endowed pig?

Calisuri: Some of those Hobbits in the background look familiar, can't quite place them though!

Demosthenes: The market scene in Hobbiton/Bywater that we heard about via AICN. You can see Bilbo has bought groceries. He looks quite calm, so obviously neither the Sackville Bagginses nor Gandalf have accosted him. Yet.

Earl: Leroy the pig must be quite a handful... he's been harnessed like a horse.

Garfeimao: Wearing the same yellow vest and green scarf from when he met Gandalf, only adding the blue jacket. Yes, Hobbits really can be very ostentatious in their garments.

"I cannot just go running off into the blue..."

The would-be "burglar," Bilbo races from Bag End clutching his contract.

Calisuri: I'm not sure he would run over the fence and the hills with the 'agreement' trailing like that.

Demosthenes: Trailing a long contract, and letter from Thorin & Co, Bilbo dashes for the Green Dragon Inn. It looks as though he actually stopped to pack though, which somewhat defeats the effect.

Quickbeam: Still clutching the "agreement" he received from Thorin, Bilbo has just been rushed out the door by Gandalf after that funny exchange: "You have never dusted the mantelpiece!" giving him only ten minutes to run all the way to Bywater.

"... I am a Baggins of Bag End!"

Demosthenes: Bilbo, stridently: "I just can't go running off into the blue. I am a Baggins of Bag End!"

maegwen: The first moment in the trailer where we see Martin Freeman speaking as Bilbo -- and he nails it. Yes, sir, you are a Baggins of Bag End, indeed. But, where did this scene come from? More on that later.

A flummoxed Bilbo is about to have his life changed.

Demosthenes: Bilbo opens his door, suddenly confronted by Gandalf and a throng of dwarves for a bit of tea and conspiracy.

maegwen: Upcoming we have the character introduction sequence. Before we "meet" the individual dwarves, there is a shot of all the dwarves in the entryway en-masse. If this is a change made for the film, it makes sense. Having the dwarves arrive together -- rather than in small bunches -- saves time and gives the audience the chance to see them in context to each other.  A long, drawn-out scene of dwarves knocking at the door and disappearing into another room would definitely drag momentum. This would tighten things up considerably.

"Bilbo, allow me to introduce..."

Gandalf begins the trailer's introduction sequence.

Demosthenes: Bilbo meets Thorin and Co in Bag End. Sounds more like they arrive all at once, though?

Earl: It seems they all probably arrive around late-evening or night-time (not at tea time) as you can see through the window that the sky is dark.

maegwen: Thorin is in the hall of Bag End in this scene with the other dwarves standing by. I can imagine a quick succession of "Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Ori, Dori, Nori," etc. and then the long pause before dramatically introducing Thorin.

Dean O'Gorman as Fili

DemosthenesFili the plate juggler. Could the plate juggling be a hint for (it's certainly a nod to) the "chip the glass and crack the plates" scene from the novel?

maegwen: The plates are already flying about in this scene."Impish" seems much more appropriate than "dwarvish." I do hope we get at least a bit of the song, though it might be incongruous with "Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold" coming up afterward. Or a good juxtaposition?

Aidan Turner as Kili

Demosthenes: Aidan Turner as Kili showing off some skills with the bow. Are we sure he's not an elf?

maegwen: I think the theory someone half-jokingly mentioned some time back might be correct -- in Peter Jackson's Middle Earth, young dwarves are less lumpy and not as hairy as older dwarves.  Remember though, we still haven't had a very clear scene of the dwarves' height in proportion to man. Once we do, the grumbles that these are "elvish" dwarves may dwindle off. To be perfectly honest, it would have been hard to recognize Fili and Kili as the lighthearted younger dwarves of the company if they had looked more like the rest. "Show" don't "tell" comes into play here.  (I do hope Aidan Turner and Dean O'Gorman know what they're in for once the films are released, though.)

Quickbeam: Kili and Bilbo in the Trollshaws -- the lighting and trees suggest the same location where we see Bilbo recovering Sting (and the nighttime shots from FOTR with Weathertop-wounded Frodo).

Random note: In "The Hobbit" the dwarves do indeed use bows and arrows and is not a film embellishment.

John Callen as Oin

Demosthenes: Oin. He has a hearing horn -- looks like he could be a little deaf.

Quickbeam: If Oin is portrayed as hard-of-hearing, you can expect other "adventure moments" in the film could be triggered by something critical not heard! "Hoot once like a barn-owl and twice like a screech-owl," comes to mind.

Peter Hambleton as Glóin, father of Gimli

Random note: Note the strong family resemblance.

Calisuri: One of my favorite dwarves...he looks just perfect.

Demosthenes: Gloin, covered in spider webs, presumably in Mirkwood after escaping from the spiders. Note that Gloin is looking up at a taller person holding the keepsake. I believe an elf is holding that, and this is after the dwarves after captured by the elves of Mirkwood. I'll even go one further and say that I reckon that's Evangeline Lilly's hand. Though, equally, it might be Orlando Bloom.

maegwenA good portion of time on trailer night was spent examining the object we see in the bottom left of this screen cap. There was a lot of speculation, with  two ideas being, 1) a miniature of Drogo, father of Frodo -- with some staffers feeling it resembled images seen on the mantlepiece in Bag End -- though no one could agree why it possibly would be that. 2) Others, such as Quickbeam, felt it could be an image of Gimli, also remarking that the frame appeared to be of fine, possibly Dwarfish, craftsmanship. For myself, I best like Calisuri's idea, accompanying the next frame below.

Quickbeam: Gloin seems rather reverent to a Bilbo who just rescued him from spiders, and touchingly procures a picture of his son, Gimli. Imagine dialogue like: "I want to see my son again, thank you Mr. Baggins," or something close.

Closeup of object seen in previous screen cap

Calisuri: Notice the uni-brow, Princess Leia style hair bun and beginnings of a bun on top of the head. I'm going out on a limb and saying this is Gimli's mother and Gloin's wife. This is our first ever glimpse of a female Dwarf! Even the shading around the mouth implies a bit of facial hair. Very interesting!

Demosthenes: Does the silver keepsake belong to Gloin (or one of the dwarves?) or to a certain hobbit not in the picture?

Graham McTavish as Dwalin

Demosthenes: Dwalin. I agree with the general consensus that the location is the goblin town under the Misty Mountains. Really conveys that he's the muscle of the group.

Elessar: Dwalin fighting someone. Could it be Azog's orcs he's battling?

Quickbeam: Another theory: Dwalin might be shown here in flashback at the Lonely Mountain, as the Dwarves get their first sight of the dragon bringing doom upon them.

Ken Stott as Balin

Demosthenes: Balin at Bag End during the Unexpected Party.

maegwen: I read a comment somewhere expressing satisfaction that Balin, of all the dwarves, looks so perfectly "Christmas Dwarf." I'm not sure what a Christmas Dwarf should look like, but I do agree that he has the stately presence we expect of this character. Also, to bring in a personal note, we must once again comment that TORn's longtime staffer and dear friend, the late Greg Grieman - known to many as "Balin," would have loved to see this character and movie brought to life. RIP, good dwarf.

Quickbeam:  Those buttered scones behind Balin's right ear won't make it through the night.

William Kircher as Bifur

Demosthenes: Bifur at Bag End getting introduced. Complete with axe in head.

maegwen: Affectionately nicknamed by some of the TORn community as "Axe Head," we're really not sure what to make of Bifur's unusual head ornament, but it certainly makes him seem bad ass.

Quickbeam: Now we know why Gimli makes that joke in the TTT Extended Edition: "Because my axe is in his central nervous system!" So it seems Dwarves do know a thing or two about biology.

Closeup of Bifur. Yes, that is an axe. No, we don't know why

Calisuri: I know why... he had some kind of mining accident and its a similar situation to being shot by an arrow. Sometimes its more harmful to remove it. So obviously the axe must stay there to allow him to live.

Demosthenes: I think the axe in the head is absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention medically impossible.

James Nesbitt as Bofur

Demosthenes: Bofur. Is that the Rivendell scenery in the background? That orange-red sunset glow is typical of the Rivendell sets from Fellowship of the Ring. And is that a food fight?

Garfeimao: Pippi Longstocking!

maegwen: We see a number of blurry objects flying past Bofur, so maybe it is a food fight or something of that sort.  Also, pure cosmetic comment of no useful purpose: Look at that grin. Doesn't that grin make *you* grin?

Closeup of UDO -- Unidentified Dwarvish Object.

Calisuri: My guess is this the same scene with Bombur below in Rivendell and someone is throwing food at him.

maegwen: A fair amount of time was spent after the viewing the trailer trying to slo-mo and figure out what is flying past Bofur's face. We never did figure it out at the time and I'm not sure why we needed to. But at 2am all things seem sensible.

Stephen Hunter as Bombur

Calisuri: Looks a bit like the space slug from Star Wars to me! See the close-up below! :P

Demosthenes: Bombur. The pillars and balcony in the following few screenshots where he's with Ori make me think that it's at Rivendell.

Earl: Are the Dwarf names pronounced correctly? I thought it was, for example, Bomb-oor and not Bomber...

maegwen: What on earth is that? Do we want to know?

Closeup of the "food" item held by Bombur

maegwen: It doesn't look any more appealing when close up.

Bombur crashes to the ground

Demosthenes: Bombur. The pillars and balcony in the following few screenshots where he's with Ori make me think that it's at Rivendell.

Quickbeam: Dwarf humor according to Peter Jackson includes tossing during critical battle scenes but Bombur will provide endless overweight jokes.

Beorn's hall or Rivendell?

maegwen: As Demosthenes wonders in the previous screen cap, where are we? Another discussion that took place on trailer night, and is also being debated on our Facebook pages and forums: Does this scene takes place in Beorn's hall or in Mirkwood? Most were trying to decide whether the bench Bombur collapses appears to be of Elvish origin or otherwise.

Mark Hadlow as Dori

Demosthenes: Dori at Bag End messing around with more plates and cups.

Jed Brophy as Nori

Demosthenes: Nori. I think from the background that this is in Rivendell. At first I was very excited, thinking the background musical instrument could be one that the dwarves originally brought to Bag End, but the sleeve work on the arm looks too fluid to be dwarven. I think this is probably Rivendell and a dinner of some sort with Elrond Half-elven.

maegwen The tricorne-hat effect evident in the publicity still of Nori has been toned down.

Quickbeam: Notice how WETA designed his eyebrows and hair to be intricately braided together.

Adam Brown as Ori

Demosthenes: Ori with a pitcher of ale at Bag End. Lots of Bag End shots in this trailer, I must say. I wonder exactly how long the opening sequence is going to spend in and around Hobbiton. Possibly longer than we'd think?

"And the leader of our company..."

Leaving us with just one last dwarf to introduce...

"... Thorin Oakenshield."

Richard Armitage as Thorin

Demosthenes: Thorin Oakenshield, looking much more assured on his pony than poor old Bilbo.

maegwen: And so we meet the "King Under the Mountain." This is clearly the "hero shot" of the trailer. We can see from the earlier scene within the entryway of Bag End that Thorin is normal dwarf-height, but shown here on his horse, captured in a sunburst of light, he looks every inch the "enormously important" dwarf he is.

"Far over the Misty Mountains cold..."

The dwarves' song begins [See Full Lyrics Below] [Notes on Music]

One of the most moving moments of the trailer, as the dwarves rise one-by-one to join Thorin in singing of "the deep places of their ancient homes." [See Full Lyrics Below] [Notes on Music]

Random note: Many people on Facebook and in our forums initially thought they had spotted Aragorn in this scene -- you can guess the reaction to that -- but when you look at the screen cap you can see that the figure above to the right is clearly Kili.

Demosthenes: This little sequence of around 10 frames, where the dwarves sing "Over the misty mountains cold..." is without a doubt the most visceral part of the trailer. Oddly, I think it's the core of it, too, giving the audience more insight into the drive of Thorin & Co in just a few lines than anything else here. There's grim determination, nostalgia for loss and, I guess, a clannish bond written across the faces of the entire group.

maegwen: We hear the opening lines of the song with this scene and it carries on as the trailer moves forward. After this scene in Bag End the song skips a number of lyrics and jumps ahead to a later part of the song. Were the lyrics edited only to fit the time constraints of and images in the trailer? We hope the song isn't heavily edited in the film, as it is a truly beautiful sequence.

Ostadan: 'Over Misty Mountains Cold' gave me a chill, no pun intended.  The original is pretty long for film purposes, perhaps, but hopefully they will get large chunks of it in verbatim from the book.

Quickbeam: Peter Jackson's best decision: True to the original book and the Rankin/Bass animated HOBBIT (1977) the Dwarves' plaintive song moves the hearts of the audience and Bilbo himself, awakening the 'Tookish' part of him.

Tehanu: I thought of old Gregorian plainchant, which is great - very suitable, as it’s a very “masculine” kind of singing. Or maybe Russian Orthodox.

'Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold' continues

"The firelight flickered -- it was April -- and still they played on,
while the shadow of Gandalf's beard wagged against the wall"
~ The Hobbit

maegwen: Compare the passage from the book with this scene in the trailer -- Could they have captured the moment better? Doubt it.

greendragon: The shot of Gandalf smoking is almost exactly the same as FOTR, when he smokes in Bag End just after Bilbo has left.  PJ's certainly doing all he can to make us feel like we're revisiting an old friend!

" .. to dungeons deep and caverns old..."

Closeup of Thorin as he continues singing

maegwen: When the first stills of the dwarves were released there was the inevitable grumbling that Thorin too good-looking, too tall, too Klingon (?) but I think the trailer shows us that Armitage brings enough gravitas to the role to portray Thorin as the autocratic, stubborn leader that he is. (Yes, I admit I was on the "too good-looking" train. And then on the "looking good" train. I got over it.)

Balin rises to join Thorin in song, followed by the other dwarves, one-by-one

"The pines were roaring on the height..."

Bofur joins in the singing

maegwen: It bears repeating how beautiful this scene is, aurally and visually -- the lighting is exquisite.

The dwarves continue singing as the trailer moves on to....

(Just one whole year to go...)

Calisuri: Lovin' the use of the Map. I didn't even think about the '3D' nature of these title caps.

Demosthenes: By the way, this movie is in 3D! (It makes more money that way)

" the winds were moaning ..."

Is this Dol Guldur?

Random note: "The stronghold of Sauron in the southern regions of Mirkwood, where he dwelt in secret as the Necromancer." ~ Encyclopedia of Arda

Calisuri: Dol Guldur does not look like a very friendly place. I wonder what poor souls skulls are chilling nicely on that ledge. And look at the thorns!!

Gandalf in Dol Guldur

Demosthenes: Gandalf descending a set of stairs. Note the skulls. Also, note the spiked trees that are almost vine-like. This is very like the shots we saw in one of the early production videos of a set that Andy Serkis was coordinating. I speculated back then that I thought it was Dol Guldur. Now we have more information to make conclusions with.

Gandalf in Dol Guldur

Demosthenes: Note that its open air. This is definitely not the goblin town. I think the ominous feel means it is Dol Guldur, and Gandalf is trying to discover the secrets of the Necromancer.

Closeup of Gandalf in Dol Guldur, holding his sword and staff

Calisuri: This very much reminds me of Weathertop - can't wait to see a collectible version :P

Demosthenes: Weathertop is Numenorean. And Numenorean civilization is hugely influenced by that of the elves. If Dol Guldur was originally built by elves, and Unfinished Tales indicates this is a very distinct possibility, then there could plausibly be an artistic similarity across the ages.

Earl: That looks like Glamdring in Gandalf's hand. Also, he seems to be wearing his silver scarf. So does this mean he goes to the Necromancer's dungeons *after* the episode with the Three Trolls? Yikes!

Garfeimao: If that is Glamdring, then this happens after the Troll incident; if it is not, then it could be a flashback.

Quickbeam:  I propose the logic behind the differences in Gandalf's staff: It might be a living thing, like an unopened flower, more closed in the years depicted in "The Hobbit" but later blossomed to be more open in "FOTR."

Closeup of Gandalf in Dol Guldur

Calisuri: My 'guess' is we hear a 'snap!' and Gandalf quickly turns to be assailed by Thrain. (More on that coming up)

Garfeimao: Yes, at the end of this little segment, we hear what could be the sound of a chain snap.

" in the night ... "

Bilbo walking within Rivendell, the Last Homely House East of the Sea

Demosthenes: Bilbo in Rivendell stumbles upon the shards of Narsil. Interestingly, this could fit canon. Bilbo passed through Rivendell in TA2941. Elrond did not hand over the shards of Narsil to Aragorn II until TA2951.

Earl: Rivendell has been replicated exactly the way it was in LOTR. At the top of the flight of stairs you can see the mural depicting Celebrimbor forging the Rings of Power. Beside and behind it, you can see the outline of the mural depicting Sauron's fall at the hand of Isildur.

Bilbo roams the gallery

Calisuri: Great use of the same room to tie-in LOTR for the general movie going public.

Earl: Once again, you can see the mural depicting the city of Ost-in-Edhil. Right behind the statue holding the Shards of Narsil should be the mural depicting Sauron's fall at the hand of Isildur, which can be seen in the previous screen cap.

maegwen: Our communities were arguing about this, but there isn't an argument to be made. Despite a change in perspective -- and in time of day -- it is positive that this scene takes place within the same room in FOTR where Aragorn encounters Boromir, and later converses with Arwen. Judging by the mural/painting on the wall and the statue cradling the shards of Narsil, it is unlikely that a different location would be created that so closely mimics the other. It's a nice bit of continuity between the films.

From yours truly...

Calisuri: Everyone's talking 3D here...I didn't even think about 3D when I saw these titles. I actually sorta dig these screens!

Demosthenes: Still in 3D! (Gotta make back that $500 million investment somehow)

Garfeimao: There's our first glimpse of Smaug! See? Right under "Peter!"

"the fire was red ... "

Galadriel and Gandalf meet at Rivendell

Calisuri: Look out! She's gonna push you off the cliff! Okay... maybe not, but he's really really closer right?

Cate Blanchett as Galadriel, and Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey

Calisuri: Surely a conversation on the fate of Middle-earth!

maegwen: A lovely shot of a meeting between Galadriel, one of the mightiest of the Noldor, and Gandalf.

"it flaming spread ... "

Galadriel and Gandalf

Calisuri: Why is she touching his face like that? It's a bit 'odd'...I can't go as far as saying there may be something there. I guess we could say its a 'motherly' type touch, not a 'you're hot' touch!

Demosthenes: File under bizarre. Not so much the fact of a Galadriel-Gandalf meeting in Rivendell: it's nowhere, I think, specified where the White Council meet. However, that touch is weirdly flirty. What on earth shall Celeborn think? I think this strikes a false note.

greendragon: Why does Galadriel always seem to be flirting with everyone?!

maegwen; This could be a scene where Galadriel asks Gandalf to serve on the White Council, which she has formed to combat the growing threat from Dol Guldur. Gandalf refused to lead the council, a role which then went to Saruman.  I find the speculation burning up Facebook and the forums that some sort of romantic relationship will be developed between the two... well, beyond hilarious. What possible need would there be for such a storyline?

Quickbeam: These characters have known each other (even in different incarnations) for thousands of years, so it's not surprising Galadriel would show such tenderness and pity for Gandalf's current state.

Oh, is that what he did before?

Calisuri: You can obviously see the Lonely Mountain above the floating text.

Demosthenes: Have you bought 3D tickets for you, your friends, your grandma and your pet budgie yet? Better get to it -- WB has shareholders, you know.

Garfeimao: PJ is in the midst of the Desolation of Smaug.

"... the trees like torches ... "

Gandalf descending into Dol Guldur?

Calisuri: Definitely looks a lot like Moria.

Demosthenes: When I saw this, I was instantly reminded of the fact that Gandalf had once traveled through Moria even before he guided the fellowship (most of the way) through. This has got to be an interior of Dol Guldur, which was built on (or into) the hill of Amon Lanc. After all, why would he be in Moria in this film? The I noticed the runes above and around the door lintel. Cirth Angerthas, seemingly though even on 1080p it's really difficult to make out. However, the first visible rune at the bottom left side could at a stretch be #20 -- KH. And the second could be #48 -- A. Better scholars of runes than my poor self are invited to pass comment and/or offer translations.

The company resting in Mirkwood... we believe.

Calisuri: I wonder where the crack in the wall will grow to snatch them all up!

Demosthenes: I can't tell if the watchman sitting with his back to the tree is Gandalf, or Balin. They both have white hair, but Gandalf's is wispier. It's more likely to be under the eaves of Mirkwood if it's Balin. The spiky trees do match those of Dol Guldur, but wouldn't Gandalf already be on his way south?

Closeup of the scene above

Calisuri: Clearly we see Kili...not 100% sure who is on the left.

Garfeimao: Is this the cave where the Goblins emerge and carry off the company?

Closeup of the scene above

Calisuri: Frodo looks out over Mirkwood while the dwarves sleep. My guess is that is Gandalf sitting up against the tree as we see below.

"and blazed with light ... "

Gandalf

Demosthenes: Here's Gandalf, could it be a different scene, thrown in as a distraction?

Calisuri: Probably a continuation of the scene above...pretty sure that is Dori's head in the front left.

The dwarves' song fades away as Bilbo unsheathes Sting for the first time

Calisuri: Sting! (no, not the singer)

Demosthenes: Bilbo claims Sting from the troll hoard.

Behold Sting!

Calisuri: Bilbo looks pretty entranced by this blade.

"I cannot guarantee his safety"

Thorin's voice-over fades in over song, Gandalf responds:

"Understood."

maegwen: We hear an exchange between Thorin and Gandalf which reminds us of the exchange between Elrond and Gandalf before sending the Fellowship out of Rivendell with the ring.   ... Gandalf really has no problem with thrusting hobbits into danger, does he?

"Nor will I be responsible for his fate."

Demosthenes: Thorin is not being nearly as grumpy and haughty as I expected.

maegwen: Maybe not grumpy, but I won't concede not haughty. Not yet.

Where are we? Somewhere beautiful

Calisuri: Edges of Mirkwood?

Demosthenes: This scene brought to you by the NZ tourism board. 100% pure, you know.

Gordon: I hope the music used after "Far Over The Misty Mountains Cold" will become the Hobbit theme, as it is catchy and awesome. PJ has always told Howard Shore that he wanted the theme music hummable, catchy -- which it is.

No tra-la-lallying allowed: Dwarves in Rivendell

Demosthenes: These elves do not go "tra-la-lally in the valley". It was always a doomed hope. Where's Gandalf though? Is he busy with Galadriel? The light level seems roughly the same...

Liese: It looks like the taunting by the elves of Rivendell is going to be a bit more serious and less "tra la la lallying".  It reminds me of the meeting between Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli and the Rohirrim.

maegwen: I won't be sad if they lose the "la-lally" tone of the entire book, much less this scene. It's the childish aspects of "The Hobbit" that long kept me from wanting a film. I'm quite happy if it skews darker.

Tehanu: Looks like the Elves might welcome the Dwarves to Rivendell with something a whole lot more aggressive and threatening than “Tra-la-la-lally”. What if the elves DO sing that ridiculous song, but do it mockingly, while harassing them from horseback?

Elladan and Elrohir surround the company?

Random note: We speculate that these unnamed elves are in fact the sons of Elrond, having a bit of sport with the dwarves when they first arrive in Rivendell.

Gandalf in Dol Guldur... ?

Demosthenes: More Dol Guldur stuff. I never imagined it would be either so ruined or so deserted, though. Gandalf looks to be in a hurry. Perhaps it's the ruins of Dale and he's hustling to find Bard.

Closeup of the above scene

Cate Blanchett as Galadriel

New Zealand IS Middle Earth

Demosthenes: This scene also brought to you by the NZ tourism board. Possibly the weather hills, more likely the foothills of the Misty Mountains?

Dori, Fili and Bilbo in Bag End

Demosthenes: Bilbo looking extraordinarily pleased with himself. Presumably after having signed up for this crazy quest.

Garfeimao: Bilbo looking mighty pleased with himself. An educated guess is after all the dishes were stacked and not broken, his ability to host a lovely party was complimented, and maybe he just finished a Hobbit song. Dori and Fili look mighty pleased too.

maegwen: I love the stretching of the braces as the plates teeter precariously on the table. He's proud as ... a pint of 1420.

Thrain vs. Gandalf, in Dol Guldur?

Demosthenes: We believe this to be a confrontation between Thrain and Gandalf. Gandalf discovers Thrain in Dol Guldur's prisons, crazed and in possession of the map and key destined for Thorin. We do not believe this is Radagast the Brown -- look to the Dwarvish pattern in Thrain's clothing. Additionally, there's little resemblance to actor Sylvester McCoy, the English actor in the role of Radagast.

maegwen: I hate making LOTR comparisons but use of color here -- the dark and sickly green-blue -- is identical to Weathertop. And Moria. Osgiliath was close, but a bit icier-blue. This seems to be the Middle Earth indicator of "bad mojo going on."

Ostadan: All the craftsmanship we've come to expect from Peter Jackson.  Perhaps too much; it almost feels like the trailer is to convince the viewer of how _much_ this film will look and feel like LotR, rather than evoking the book itself the way the first teaser trailer did for LotR.

More Thrain vs. Gandalf action

More Thrain vs. Gandalf action

Demosthenes: A bundle of rags attacks Gandalf as he enters what looks to be some sort of prison or dungeon in Dol Guldur. Note especially the hanging cages that we saw in one of those early production videos. The bundle of rags in question is most likely to be a maddened Thrain II, deranged by long imprisonment by Sauron.

maegwen: I'm reminded of the Wizard-Smackdown-Matrix-Fight between Gandalf and Saruman.

Closeup

It's Troll Time

Demosthenes: Dwarves charge in to save Bilbo from the three trolls -- Bert, Tom and William. The trolls seem to be roaring, and that seems to forbode a bad fate for all that lovely dialogue Tolkien created around the Roast Mutton chapter.

maegwen: We get a good idea of a dwarf's true height in this scene.

Closeup

Troll legs?

Troll legs?

maegwen: OK, doesn't it look as if the dwarf on the right is trying to take a cell phone picture of the trolls?

Bilbo hitches a ride

Demosthenes: Bilbo finally catches up with the company somewhere on the road in the Shire, and Fili and Kili deposit him onto his pony. We now know this because it correlates with the scene described by Quint in his #6 set report. This is different to the book where they meet at the Green Dragon Inn.

Here comes the sun...

Demothenes: Didn't Gandalf do this on a bridge somewhere?

maegwen: Yes, this could be a misplaced shot from "The Lord of the Rings," but nearly certain it is Gandalf's famous moment: "Dawn take you all, and be stone to you," as the light comes over the hill and turns the Trolls to stone.

Ahhhhhh!

"I am so sorry to keep you waiting .. "

Coolest bathrobe, ever

Random note: The fabric for this robe was discussed in one of the film's production diaries.

Demosthenes: Bilbo opens the door and many dwarves fall through the door. It looks like they arrive all at once, not in duos and trios.

maegwen: As I suspected, the dwarves do arrive en-masse...

Thar be dwarves

maegwen: ... and fall, en-masse.

Mr. Baggins was feeling positively flummoxed...

Before the plates begin to fly.

Demosthenes: More shenanigans with Bilbo's crockery.

And they're off!

Quickbeam: In the Rankin/Bass animated "Hobbit" (1977) Bilbo says: "Dwarves have a strange notion of perfection." This scene really showcases their natural mechanical precision with rolling and flipping plates effortlessly!

"You'll have a tale or two to tell ... "

The trailer circles back to where it began

Earl: This shot is reminiscent of the Hobbits escaping the Black Riders at the Bucklebury Ferry

Quickbeam: Bilbo has been rushed out the door by Gandalf, "without a hat, walking-stick, or any money," as Tolkien writes in Chapter 2.

maegwen: He's quite spry, isn't he? As I recall, he didn't have time to grab a handkerchief, much less a satchel. Where did the bag come from? ...Must remind self not to be so literal.

"When you get back."

Bilbo races off to catch up with the dwarves

Bilbo and Gandalf have a chat in Bag End

maegwen: We get a glimpse of this scene early in the trailer, when Bilbo declares he is a "Baggins of Bag End!" Seemingly a change to the story here and an opportunity for some exposition, I reckon. Bilbo and Gandalf never have a sit-down to discuss in detail the proposed adventure. Definitely not in a calm and reasoned fashion such as this. But I like that Freeman's Bilbo isn't the fussbudget he often seems in the book. I'm wondering where this fits in -- does Gandalf tell him more of the scheme before the dwarves turn up? Unlikely. Does this take place after the dwarves have ordered their breakfasts and rolled off to sleep? Maybe. The scene is also a good way -- if it goes down as I expect -- to show more of a relationship between the two (yes, yes, I know there isn't supposed to be one) at the onset.

"Can you promise that I will come back?"

"No."

I spy with my eye...

Demosthenes: Bilbo wandering, lost, through the goblin caverns in the Misty Mountains stumbles upon the golden ring that will change his life.

Earl: This is in Mirkwood ... I wonder if this is one of the times they'll subtly depict the Ring as "trying to get back to it's Master". It slips off Bilbo's person but he finds it and uses it to rescue the Dwarves from the spiders.

Garfeimao: This is one of the most confusing bits, because Bilbo is not wearing a jacket, so it’s not the cave near Gollum’s island -- Bilbo is wearing his coat in that image (toward the end of the trailer). So is this Mirkwood near the Spider’s domain? And did the Ring really fall off his finger or out of his pocket? If so, that is a departure from the book, to be sure.

Quickbeam: Although Bilbo finds the Ring near the shore of Gollum's underground lake, this appears to be the Mirkwood setting -- perhaps we can speculate the filmmakers have anachronistically placed the Ring in the foreground here just as "bait" to get us excited to see it in the trailer!

maegwen: Despite my earlier comments, I do like that there is a visual continuity between this and the trilogy. It would be completely and unnecessarily jarring if they were at complete odds with each other.

Closeup of Bilbo

Closeup

Bilbo come face-to-face with Gollum

Demosthenes: I wonder, even though there's material from Mirkwood in this trailer, whether the Riddles in the Dark and Bilbo's escape from Gollum will be the culmination of the first film. For one, there's a lot of material sequentially later in the book that is not alluded to whatsoever: the Eagles and Beorn, for example. I think the placement here, at the end of the trailer, is a hint.

Garfeimao: In a deep cavern at the roots of the Misty Mountains, Bilbo discovers he is not alone. The look of dread on his face says everything, and then we hear Gollum’s voice for the first time. Can the Riddles in the Dark be far behind?

"My name is Bilbo Baggins."

"Bagginses? What is a Bagginses?"

" ... Precious"

EXPERIENCE IT IN IMAX 3D!

Demosthenes: We really mean it about the 3D!

Calisuri: I think I speak for all of Tolkien fandom when I say that Dec 14th 2012 will be a special day! Don't worry, the wait will not take as long as you think :)

'FAR OVER THE MISTY MOUNTAINS COLD' LYRICS

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gleaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.

On silver necklaces they strung
The flowering stars, on crows they hung
The dragon-fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun.

We must away, ere break of day,
To claim our long-forgotten gold.

Goblets the carved there for themselves
And harps of gold; where no man delves
There lay they long, and many a song
Was sung unheard by men or elves.

The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread;
The trees like torches blazed with light.

The bells were ringing in the dale
And men looked up with faces pale;
Then dragon’s ire more fierce than fire
Laid low their towers and houses frail.

The mountain smoked beneath the moon;
The dwarves, they heard the tramp of doom.
They fled their hall to dying fall
Beneath his feet, beneath the moon.

Far over the misty mountains grim
To dungeons deep and caverns dim
To win our harps and gold from him!

(Reprise)
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Magpie's MUSIC NOTES

0:06 - 0:24 : the Shire Theme as heard in LOTR. (not to say taken from LOTR... just that the melody is not changed from LOTR)

0:29 - 0:35 : this music is similar in feel to the Hobbiton music in LOTR (Rural Setting of the Shire Theme) played on a whistle

0:36 - 0:50 : humming Dwarf voices

0:50 - 1:43 : Dwarf voices begin singing Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold - same melody we were hearing at 0:36

1:48 - 2:01 : heroic version of the melody used for the song (just sung) - this indicates to me the melody will be a theme, probably a major one, in the vein of the Shire Theme and the Fellowship Theme in LOTR

2:23 - 2:27 : The History of the Ring Theme as heard in LOTR (again, not taken from LOTR... just the same melody as heard in LOTR

STAFF FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Arwen:
First there's the joyful, exhilarating feeling of going back to Middle-earth... Seeing Bag End again in all its splendor... Hearing the familiar and beloved Howard Shore soundtrack. Then there's the look and the overall tone, which to me are so much in line with the LOTR movies, something I wasn't sure The Hobbit would be able to convey.

Then there is the discovery of the new faces, i.e young Bilbo, and the dwarves. I really really liked what I saw. I think Martin Freeman is going to be amazing as Bilbo. And Richard Armitage is exactly what I imagined Thorin to be.

Of course there's also the pleasure of seeing old familiar faces, Gandalf, Old Bilbo (Ian Holm hasn't aged a day!!!), Galadriel, even Gollum... locations (The Shire, Rivendell) and things: Sting, and yes, even the Ring!

I love the inclusion of the Misty Mountains song (and one scene shows we can probably expect the "That's what Bilbo Baggins hates" song as well).

Overall I think it's a great trailer, very evocative without revealing too much... It really wets your appetite for more, and gives the promise of great things to come!

Elessar:
Watching this trailer feels like I've just said "Hi" to an old friend. I've waited years to see "The Hobbit" on the big screen and the trailer has me with goosebumps on goosebumps. This not only feels like Middle-Earth -- both same and different from The Lord of the Rings, which I love. Is it December 2012 yet?

Entmaiden:
Starts out funny, and it was great to see all the dwarves.  Thorin is magnificent, and it was good to hear the singing.  "Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold".... Yay!  I need to see it 200 or 300 hundred more times.  The trailer did a good job of pleasing two masters:  the vast audience who hasn't been paying attention, and those of us who have pored over every word and gesture for the past 10 years.

Garfeimao:
Big tonal shifts in this Trailer. A bit of comedy with the introduction of the Dwarves, and then the chanting of "Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold" brings us into Epic territory, and then we move into action adventure.

Kristin:
Dwarves fall in through Bilbo's round front door, which is a very good sign. Plus they sing, which is an equally good sign. Lots of Gandalf, including him apparently exploring Dol Guldur. An excellent sign. And Martin Freeman, as we already knew, IS Bilbo. Plus the whole thing looks like it will mesh with the trilogy. So far, so good!

Ostadan:
All the craftsmanship we've come to expect from Peter Jackson.  Perhaps too much; it almost feels like the trailer is to convince the viewer of how _much_ this film will look and feel like LotR, rather than evoking the book itself the way the first teaser trailer did for LotR.  Still, 'Over Misty Mountains Cold' gave me a chill, no pun intended.  The original is pretty long for film purposes, perhaps, but hopefully they will get large chunks of it in verbatim from the book.

Subject User Time
First Hobbit trailer: TORn's frame-by-frame analysis News From Bree Send a private message to News From Bree Dec 23 2011, 2:46am
    Bombur's holding a sausage QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Dec 23 2011, 6:16pm
        I think this is not a sausage maut Send a private message to maut Dec 23 2011, 6:58pm
    I love the idea that the staff is organic and grows during the intervening 60 years Flagg Send a private message to Flagg Dec 23 2011, 7:32pm
        I love this idea, too. eralkfang Send a private message to eralkfang Dec 23 2011, 7:45pm
        Keep in mind Milknut Send a private message to Milknut Dec 23 2011, 10:25pm
            He's got a closet full of staffs. // Maiarmike Send a private message to Maiarmike Dec 24 2011, 12:24am
    A couple of comments Milknut Send a private message to Milknut Dec 23 2011, 10:32pm
        the clink titanium_hobbit Send a private message to titanium_hobbit Dec 24 2011, 6:11am
    I wonder if they will work in both versions of Riddles in the Dark. Curious Send a private message to Curious Dec 24 2011, 3:48am
        other side of misty mountains titanium_hobbit Send a private message to titanium_hobbit Dec 24 2011, 6:19am
            Yes, but before wargs, fire, eagles, or Beorn.// Curious Send a private message to Curious Dec 24 2011, 5:44pm
                however titanium_hobbit Send a private message to titanium_hobbit Dec 25 2011, 7:04am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.