Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Christmas Colors?
Poll: Christmas Colors?
Blue and Silver (Snowy)
Red and Green (Traditional)
Other (Please Specify)
View Results (26 votes)

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth

Dec 6 2011, 1:24am

Post #1 of 18 (502 views)
Christmas Colors? Can't Post

I prefer the Blue and Silver/White color scheme. For me it seems more wintery and Christmasy than red and green.

Dec 6 2011, 2:53am

Post #2 of 18 (271 views)
Christmas isn't snowy everywhere. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Australia, NZ, and the rest of the Southern Hemisphere it's mid-summer. Here in Hawaii, red and green are especially appropriate since it's the rainy season, and the hills (which get brown in summer) are turning green, and the wild poinsettias are blooming. Heart

I am charmed, though, by the observation every year that the most ubiquitous element of Christmas yard decorations here is the reindeer, despite the fact that one has never set hoof in the Islands to my knowledge (not even in the zoo).

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Dec 6 2011, 2:56am)

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth

Dec 6 2011, 3:04am

Post #3 of 18 (225 views)
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

I had totally forgotten that fact while I was making the poll. I have a new found respect for the red and green colors. Thank you Smile

Dec 6 2011, 3:28am

Post #4 of 18 (218 views)
I'm with you Mad Hatter [In reply to] Can't Post

Blue and Silver.
Reminds me of winter (my favorite season).

Dec 6 2011, 9:35am

Post #5 of 18 (226 views)
Both! [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, blue and white says 'Winter', but red and green is definitely 'Christmas'! Smile

AlassŽa Eruvande

Dec 6 2011, 2:25pm

Post #6 of 18 (197 views)
Oh, but reindeer come to Hawaii every year with Santa! // [In reply to] Can't Post

AlassŽa Eruvande

Dec 6 2011, 2:26pm

Post #7 of 18 (188 views)
I like both! [In reply to] Can't Post

But not at the same time. Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins

Dec 6 2011, 2:55pm

Post #8 of 18 (229 views)
I like red and green and white [In reply to] Can't Post

like holly in the snow :-)

Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2011, 3:11pm

Post #9 of 18 (194 views)
Grey and red [In reply to] Can't Post

The traditional Christmas colours up here. Also they're calmer than the green + red combo.

Dec 6 2011, 3:25pm

Post #10 of 18 (224 views)
i noticed there's been a lot of blue and silver/white this year... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was talking about it with my friends recently, the traditional colours seem to have changed this year... While I do like tradition, the new colour scheme does look attractive. As with most dilemmas, a healthy mixture of both is good Tongue

Dec 6 2011, 3:28pm

Post #11 of 18 (235 views)
All of the above. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still not sure I like working downtown, but I do love the Christmas season when all the pretty lights are up. There are all kinds of color schemes here!

I don't care for just white lights. It was unique and different at first, but after everyone did it...all the time...year after year...it got dull and boring.

And I'm also not keen on "corporate colors" for Christmas decorations, either.

Dec 6 2011, 3:37pm

Post #12 of 18 (237 views)
Comes and goes [In reply to] Can't Post

Some years I'm in the mood for multi-colour (5 colours of the rainbow) lights, other years it's all one colour (or one colour and clear).

My nieces picked out a white artificial tree -- that otherwise looks real -- with hot purple lights and glass balls, and ribbons with silver and gold sparkly highlights. In the box I was almost horrified by the thought of it. But now that it's up it is pretty cool.

Dec 6 2011, 8:10pm

Post #13 of 18 (185 views)
white and dark green with touches of red [In reply to] Can't Post

That evokes snow-covered conifer trees to me.

Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2011, 3:43am

Post #14 of 18 (185 views)
Took a second there... [In reply to] Can't Post

(hahahahah...Took).....anyway.......I was going to go with the traditional red and green...cause of my traditional side....but then I have seen some really, ratty, rundown bad red and green decorations out there.....And some of the blue/silvery stuff looks very cool...very wintery....so I voted for that...although I still like that old red and green look if done right....

Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 7 2011, 10:55am

Post #15 of 18 (201 views)
I had a good laugh with that [In reply to] Can't Post

I was on my way to New Zealand and had a stop over in Malaysia in December. In the hotel they had big snow flakes hanging, while it was tropical hot outside. Such a strange vision.
Before I never realised they would use snow etc for decorations. Here we hardly have snow, but it does happen, so a bit of snow in the decorations is logical. But if you never see snow, why use it in your decorations?

Dec 8 2011, 2:06am

Post #16 of 18 (178 views)
It was Green and red for me but [In reply to] Can't Post

i noticed Anneal's choice and realized something was missing. I thought of snow on the bough, so it is green and red and bit of fluffy white.

Dec 10 2011, 8:53am

Post #17 of 18 (285 views)
Christmas colors... [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't go past red it's a traditional colour and having Santa Claus of course, in his red and white suit makes it even more so. To me red and gold are enduring colours and so is ever-green and these colours go beyond the boundaries of seasons since Christmas where I come from, is celebrated during the summer.

Aethelwyne Bolger

Dec 17 2011, 4:44pm

Post #18 of 18 (228 views)
I picked other because I like both! [In reply to] Can't Post

In my living/dining great room, I have very traditional colors because the room is all wood with yellow and green colors (very hobbity or Rohan feeling room to me!). The colors I decorate with for Christmas are darker than red and green; they are more of a cranberry red, hunter green, and gold accents.
My library has dark blue walls, so when I decorate in there, it is with blue and white to make it look all wintery.
My spare bedroom has green walls about the color of Arwen's coronation gown but more sage-y. It is decorated with LOTR and fairies and unicorns and dragons for my nieces and nephews (they love it!)
For that room, I have a little white tree prelit with pastelly lights, and I use ornaments that have colors such as blues, greens, lavenders, and pinks with silver. It is very pretty, like a frosty garden in December.
I don't really decorate my master bedroom, bathroom, or kitchen (except with kitchen dishes and teapots) too much- my house is a tiny cottage and decorating three rooms is more than enough for me!

(This post was edited by Arianna Greenleaf on Dec 17 2011, 4:45pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.