Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit SFX Supervisor Joe Letteri Talks Gollum to MovieWeb

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Dec 16 2011, 8:26am

Post #1 of 9 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit SFX Supervisor Joe Letteri Talks Gollum to MovieWeb Can't Post

MovieWeb has had a chance to discuss 'The Hobbit' with senior effects supervisor Joe Letteri. In the article, Mr. Letteri talks about working with Andy Serkis on 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' and how technology has advanced since we last saw Gollum on the big screen. Specifically, he discusses how the film-makers can now capture Andy's performance on set or on location, without a follow-up motion capture stage performance. Check out the full article at MovieWeb.com. [Read on]

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 16 2011, 1:57pm

Post #2 of 9 (542 views)
Shortcut
Couple things... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how the article on MovieWeb says that Ron Perlman and Doug Jones are in The Hobbit...They obviously do their research.
Second, SFX generally refers to Sound Effects. I was very confused for a second. Cool to hear fro Joe Letteri though.

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 16 2011, 4:10pm

Post #3 of 9 (481 views)
Shortcut
Well we know [In reply to] Can't Post

That the newer technology works because using motion capture as part of the scene action was used in creating "Davy Jones" with motion capture on the set in the filming of POTC.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Dec 16 2011, 4:28pm

Post #4 of 9 (455 views)
Shortcut
yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

that's exactly what I thought. Maybe they got it even better, but was used at Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead man's chest first.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Not_the_beard
The Shire

Dec 16 2011, 5:18pm

Post #5 of 9 (492 views)
Shortcut
One line caught my attention [In reply to] Can't Post

"That way, Andy could be in the scene with all of the other actors."

Obviously, Bilbo is the only one in the cave besides Gollum at the time. Who do you think that these "other actors" might be? It seems he either misspoke and Martin is the only actor in the cave, there are some goblins that wander down into the cave with him, or Gollum wanders outside of the cave.

However, if it is all in the cave, that smaller environment would make sense of why it would be easier to set up a motion-cap environment for him to work in.

droidsocket
Rivendell

Dec 16 2011, 5:40pm

Post #6 of 9 (416 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

That coment is regarding Andy on Planet Of The Apes. Not The Hobbit set.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 16 2011, 5:44pm

Post #7 of 9 (447 views)
Shortcut
I'm convinced PJ will stay, Exactly like the Book in "Riddles in the Dark" [In reply to] Can't Post

But we could get shots of Gollum sneaking around?
outside the Cave.....
muttering to himself as he heads towards Mordor,
seeking, sneakin', downing Fish down the Anduin River.

INFact, Now that I think of it, he could accidently
be shown Spying on the White Council
and follows them...
in Deep in the Background while the DG Non-Battle occurs.
An Great EYE Witness (Pun intended)and stumples off to Mordor then....
sorta makes sense to me.
xoxoGoldberry's LifePartner

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Dec 16 2011, 5:47pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 16 2011, 5:59pm

Post #8 of 9 (428 views)
Shortcut
It reads to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the first quote was talking about Serkis' performance as Gollum in the LOTR films, where he would perform with the other actors (Wood, Astin, etc.), then mimic his initial performance later on a motion capture stage, and then have the cgi put in so he could be in the scene with the other actors (again, Wood, Astin, etc.)

Later in Planet of the Apes, because of advances in motion capture technology, Serkis' could be mocapped siomultaneously as he performed with all the other actors on set (Franco, Pinto, etc.)

Thus, in The Hobbit, he is being mocapped right as he performs with Martin, which is going to be tres cool!

Brother will fight brother and both be his slayer,
brother and sister will violate all bonds of kinship;
hard it will be in the world, there will be much failure of honor,
an age of axes, an age of swords, where shields are shattered,
an age of winds, an age of wolves, where the world comes crashing down;
no man will spare another.

-From the Völuspá, 13th Century

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2011, 7:18pm

Post #9 of 9 (347 views)
Shortcut
no mention of Davy Jones [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm kinda surprised they didn't mention all the motion capture effects in Pirates 2 & 3 since the article was all about motion capture...

What is this new devilry?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.