Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Of Laketown's "Bellringer" or "Net Mender", And An Elf Named Elros
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 7 2011, 1:22am

Post #1 of 34 (2868 views)
Shortcut
Of Laketown's "Bellringer" or "Net Mender", And An Elf Named Elros Can't Post

The folks at TheOneRing.net are great miners... of information.

A few months ago, message board member Moahunter alerted us to a posting over at Johnson&Laird that listed an actor named Ray Henwood as playing the role of "Old Bellringer" in The Hobbit, a role that has subsequently been changed to "Net Mender". To our purely speculative minds, both roles seem to have been crafted with a common intent - to have a man who sees Smaug's firelight coming down the river from the North and alerts the people of Laketown.

As a piece of trivia, this is the same actor who played the character Erland in The Fellowship of the Ring, where he was present at the Council of Elrond as a Dale Counselor, the Advisor of Brand, son of Bain, son of Bard. More geeky information along with images can be found here.

Anyway, digging for more information on the same site brought something else of interest to our notice.

An actor named Robin Kerr has seemingly been cast in the role of Elros. We don't suppose this is the character who, according to the books, is Elrond's brother (who wasn't an Elf anyway).

We feel rather that the name Elros is just being reused for a hero Elf, similar to how the name Morwen was used for a woman of Rohan in The Two Towers.

What do you think of all this? Feel free to share your thoughts on our message boards.

Beutlin
Rivendell

Nov 7 2011, 9:03am

Post #2 of 34 (1973 views)
Shortcut
Continuity :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Who knows, maybe Erland, a.k.a. the "Old Bellringer", has some Elvish blood running through his veins. This would explain his longevity and has to be included in the film(s) for continuity's sake :)

Ceterum censeo montem artis magicae atrae esse delendam

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2011, 9:49am

Post #3 of 34 (1830 views)
Shortcut
It's fun speculating isn't it? :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

willowing
Lorien

Nov 7 2011, 10:41am

Post #4 of 34 (1859 views)
Shortcut
It sure is fun to speculate especially when it is about your favourite books.... [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps there may be another Tolkien movie in their thinking caps? Morwen in the TT we get The Hobbit now we have a fellow called Elros cast in The Hobbit..

Symbelmine
Rohan

Nov 7 2011, 2:20pm

Post #5 of 34 (1795 views)
Shortcut
I might be wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

but I suppose this new handsome elf will have some "business" with Tauriel.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Nov 7 2011, 2:50pm

Post #6 of 34 (1782 views)
Shortcut
I'd prefer if Elros is just a placeholder name for Elladan or Elrohir. [In reply to] Can't Post

Another possibility is that with backstory of Glamdring and Orcrist, there may be a very brief flashback of the fall of Gondolin and escape of Idril and Tuor with Earendil and then...oh never mind, that would be getting way to convoluted.....;0).

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2011, 3:43pm

Post #7 of 34 (1761 views)
Shortcut
I think Elros [In reply to] Can't Post

might simply be a minor Elf in Rivdenell, as Lindir appears to be from what information we have. In any case, it's indeed exciting that cast members continue to be revealed...

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2011, 3:45pm

Post #8 of 34 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Wonder if we get the actor for Bain seeing as they've already cast his scale double. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tseon

Nov 7 2011, 5:07pm

Post #9 of 34 (1722 views)
Shortcut
Family reunion [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this Robin Kerr related to Orlando's wife Miranda Kerr?

Symbelmine
Rohan

Nov 7 2011, 5:17pm

Post #10 of 34 (1691 views)
Shortcut
No, he isn't. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if he was Miranda doesn't play in The HobbitTongue

Her bro's name is Matthew.

(This post was edited by Symbelmine on Nov 7 2011, 5:22pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2011, 5:45pm

Post #11 of 34 (1634 views)
Shortcut
No, but that would have made him [In reply to] Can't Post

Orlando's brother-in-law. Tongue

2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Symbelmine
Rohan

Nov 7 2011, 5:58pm

Post #12 of 34 (1630 views)
Shortcut
sure it would [In reply to] Can't Post

Btw I like your wish list especially the part about Legolas with Smaug and PJ's naked cameo Laugh

(This post was edited by Symbelmine on Nov 7 2011, 6:04pm)

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Nov 7 2011, 8:39pm

Post #13 of 34 (1629 views)
Shortcut
The likelihood is low that they'd be closely related. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kerr is an anglicised version of the Irish last name, O'Cara. It's also been changed to Carr as well. This name and the changed versions are quite common (I have that name in my family tree too, and I don't have any relatives from Australia/New Zealand.)

Unless they themselves confirm that they are of some relation to each other (cousins maybe?), the relation is likely very distant, if it exists at all.

Tell me one last thing, said Harry. Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?
Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?

tomp115

Nov 7 2011, 9:22pm

Post #14 of 34 (1635 views)
Shortcut
Elros scene in the hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Elros part will be a scene in rivendell when Elrond or one of the elves tells the tale of Elrond.

This will then be seen in sequences similar to the ones in LOTR with Isildur.

It may be that Aragorn is present and tells the tale. Right now I don't remember if he was in Imladris at the time.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Nov 7 2011, 9:55pm

Post #15 of 34 (1575 views)
Shortcut
They've already filmed the Rivendell scenes. [In reply to] Can't Post

And this Elros is most likely different character than Elrond's brother.
Aragorn is not going to be in The Hobbit.

I bet this elf is the elf lord Tauriel is going to fall in love with.

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 7 2011, 10:05pm

Post #16 of 34 (1598 views)
Shortcut
"Erland" appears in the film but the name does not. [In reply to] Can't Post

The description of the character derives solely from the game as does the name.
There seems to be no justification for assuming that the use of the same actor means that the character is the same.
Indeed the sobriquet "Old" makes a nonsense of the idea that he attends the CoE.

Beutlin
Rivendell

Nov 7 2011, 10:48pm

Post #17 of 34 (1580 views)
Shortcut
I assume you did not get my joke. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Ceterum censeo montem artis magicae atrae esse delendam

tomp115

Nov 7 2011, 11:42pm

Post #18 of 34 (1579 views)
Shortcut
He will not be featured in Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

My point, that was missed, is that Elros will not be seen in Rivendell. He will be seen in a flashback or similar scene that probably takes place on numenor or something else relevant to the back story of Elrond and Elros. Elros scenes will not take place in Rivendell, but in another part of the world and in a different age.

At least that's what I think.

(This post was edited by tomp115 on Nov 7 2011, 11:42pm)

Symbelmine
Rohan

Nov 8 2011, 1:03am

Post #19 of 34 (1522 views)
Shortcut
They can't use the material from other books than The Hobbit and LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

because they don't have rights for it.
Is the story of Elrond and Elros mentioned in The Hobbit or LOTR? Sorry I don't remember.
As the OP said this Elros is most likely not Elrond's brother. Besides that Elros wasn't an elf.

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Nov 8 2011, 1:13am

Post #20 of 34 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Elros does appear in the LOTR appendicies [In reply to] Can't Post

which briefly touches on his and Elrond's history.
But I agree - very unlikely that the new Elros is the same person - or they would need a younger version of Elrond to play opposite him...and then you need an Earendil, the story of the Silmarilli, and Numenor...way to much to be worth getting into for the comparatively light Hobbit story.

PattyJB
Rivendell

Nov 8 2011, 3:43am

Post #21 of 34 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Half-Elven twins. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Besides that Elros wasn't an elf.

Well, neither is Elrond. They are both half-Elven. They did choose different fates, but that was later on in their lives. There could easily be a flash-back to a time before their respective choices.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2011, 4:16am

Post #22 of 34 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Good point... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was thinking this earlier.

BTW, with PJ's last casting announcement on Face Book he stated that the "major characters" had all been cast and announced, so whoever Elros is, it's most likely a minor role.

Of course, one might argue that characters such as Bilbo, Eomer, Grima or Galadriel were comparatively "minor" characters in LotR, appearing in only a scattering of scenes each, yet they all made their presence known during their limited screentime...so even yet-to-be-announced "minor" characters might carry a weight of their own.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 8 2011, 8:45am

Post #23 of 34 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Dain for example :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully he will get an appearance ^^

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 8 2011, 2:06pm

Post #24 of 34 (1483 views)
Shortcut
Nice catch? Someone yelling.."Smaug, is coming!".... [In reply to] Can't Post

That Speaking LINE, will go down in Cinemahistory forever...

jus' sayin' xoxoTommyTunefull

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 8 2011, 3:06pm

Post #25 of 34 (1450 views)
Shortcut
That's Bard's line... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard is the one who realizes that the Dragon is approaching, after another Lake-man (the Net Mender?) sees his glow and exclaims that the river is running with gold.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.