Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A year since official greenlight, a little over a year to go!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2011, 12:44am

Post #1 of 30 (1517 views)
Shortcut
A year since official greenlight, a little over a year to go! Can't Post

Well, I just realized that a year ago today, after a long and tumultuous journey, Warner Bros. officially greenlit "The Hobbit", along with confirming PJ as director! Here's the official announcement, for nostalgia's sake:

OSCAR WINNER PETER JACKSON TO DIRECT “THE HOBBIT” IN TWO INSTALLMENTS

Peter Jackson Set to Direct J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit,” In a Two-Part 3D Production of Extraordinary Scope

(Los Angeles, October 15, 2010) The two films based on “The Hobbit” are now greenlit and will begin principal photography in February 2011, under the direction of Peter Jackson, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema, Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros. and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc..

“Exploring Tolkien’s Middle-earth goes way beyond a normal film-making experience” Jackson says, “It’s an all-immersive journey into a very special place of imagination, beauty and drama. We’re looking forward to re-entering this wondrous world with Gandalf and Bilbo – and our friends at New Line Cinema, Warner Brothers and MGM”.

“Peter is a filmmaker of incomparable ability; having him return to Middle-earth to produce and direct is a dream come true. A true original, Peter is a gifted story-teller, visionary director and pioneer in film technology,” said Emmerich. “Reuniting with Peter, Fran and Philippa truly makes it feel like we are going ‘there and back again.’”

“There is no human being on the planet as qualified as Peter Jackson to direct these films,” said Horn. “Peter is incredibly talented and has the creative vision and experience to bring this beloved property to life in a way that no other filmmaker could. And the team of Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens has proven through their work on the ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy that no one is more skilled at transforming Tolkien’s written words into a vibrant, living language that makes the audience believe they are not merely visiting Middle-earth, but actually living in it. We couldn’t be more thrilled and look forward to seeing ‘The Hobbit’ take shape under Peter’s stewardship and the team he is putting together.”

“MGM is excited to move forward and add to the successful ‘Lord of the Rings’ franchise,” said Cooper. “Under Peter’s direction, the films will undoubtedly appeal to fans of the original ‘LOTR’ trilogy and also bring the stories to a new generation of fans.”

Jackson, who directed all three “Lord of the Rings” films, will helm the two films back-to-back, telling the story of “The Hobbit” in two parts. Jackson will utilize groundbreaking visual effects and his incomparable story-telling to bring J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel to the big screen. Both Hobbit movies will be filmed in Digital 3-D, using the latest camera and stereo technology to create a high quality, comfortable viewing experience. Jackson also co-wrote the screenplays with Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro.

“The Hobbit” is being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with Phillipa Boyens as co-producer and Ken Kamins as executive producer.

The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed LOTR trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office. In 2003, “Return of the King” swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy’s production was also unprecedented at the time.

We've come a long way since then, obviously, as the film has been cast and is now well into filming. And we have quite the 14 months ahead of us...still to come are more of PJ's video blogs, more casting announcements and pictures, the first trailers and advertising, possibly a panel at Comic-Con 2012, and an inevitable merchandising and marketing blitz from Warner Bros. leading up to the December 2012 releases date of Film 1! In a little over a year, we'll finally be able to enjoy the results of PH"s unexpected journey as director. Can't WAIT to see Middle-earth on the big screen again, and to see what surprises Peter & Company have for us in the coming months...Wink

Here's to the most anticipated films of the decade,
Don't you wish they had both already been made?,
Adventurous dwarves, nasty Goblins, and a single Hobbit,
Errmmm...nothing rhymes with Hobbit....except BLOBBIT!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Oct 16 2011, 12:47am)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2011, 1:33am

Post #2 of 30 (614 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear to PJ & Co. for making this reality! [In reply to] Can't Post

But seriously PJ, I am now begging you with all my heart and soul.......please give us another Video Blog. Even if it's five minutes and only shows Bilbo.
Just please.

Yours Sincerely,

Sebastian Sanyal

The Blue Wizards = Enigma = Great topic for Fan Fiction

video blog please

TheCoon
Lorien

Oct 16 2011, 3:14am

Post #3 of 30 (607 views)
Shortcut
may the hair on their toes never fall out [In reply to] Can't Post

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Oct 16 2011, 4:17am

Post #4 of 30 (544 views)
Shortcut
I'm stoked!!!!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing they evidently prefer.

Who is that odd little fellow? - Saruman

"Oh, you're a villain all right, just not a SUPER one!" "Yeah? What's the difference?" "Presentation!"

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2011, 6:02am

Post #5 of 30 (540 views)
Shortcut
How cool is that!? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember the day so well. It was a Saturday (or a Sunday) morning out here, and I called my friend frantically, waking him up from his sleep, because I *had* to tell someone who cared Laugh

droidsocket
Rivendell

Oct 16 2011, 6:13am

Post #6 of 30 (518 views)
Shortcut
I remember too [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it was my birthday! Best gift ever!!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 16 2011, 7:35am

Post #7 of 30 (484 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday to you, then./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Patty
Immortal

Oct 16 2011, 7:37am

Post #8 of 30 (573 views)
Shortcut
Hey PJ--what a super birthday mathom you could give us on your Halloween birthday... [In reply to] Can't Post

hint, hint.Angelic

Permanent address: Into the West

namarie
Rohan

Oct 16 2011, 9:23am

Post #9 of 30 (538 views)
Shortcut
One year went by, one more year to go [In reply to] Can't Post

After so many years of waiting, one more year seems like peace of cake Laugh

I hope for more news soon..maybe a video blog?! Tongue

There is always hope

(This post was edited by namarie on Oct 16 2011, 9:24am)

namarie
Rohan

Oct 16 2011, 9:23am

Post #10 of 30 (476 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday :)// [In reply to] Can't Post

There is always hope

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Oct 16 2011, 11:30am

Post #11 of 30 (516 views)
Shortcut
Geez. [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't seem like another year is already gone. Only 425 days to go, or 1 year, 1 month, and 28 days.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16 2011, 4:31pm

Post #12 of 30 (491 views)
Shortcut
*heart races* We've come so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

but the rest isn't coming fast enough!!

Who would have thought a couple of years ago that we'd be enjoying so much. I can't express how happy I am right now. From the threat of no Hobbit at all to being displaced and not filmed in NZ and now we have Peter and his filmic family working on this incredible adaptation... I just can't stop smiling!

I've already ordered what I think is the first "Hobbit" Weta piece. The Gandalf statue they have looks very much like a Hobbit-Quest Wizard to me.

His hairline is a bit lower and his eyebrows a little less bushy. So the merchandising has already started... for me :) *geeky hand-clapping*

http://www.theonering.net/...alf-the-grey-statue/

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2011, 5:11pm

Post #13 of 30 (411 views)
Shortcut
At least you [In reply to] Can't Post

didn't call and pretend to be a long-lost friend from Germany, as Viggo used to do to poor Elijah in the middle of the night! Tongue

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2011, 5:13pm

Post #14 of 30 (435 views)
Shortcut
Nice piece indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree he does look slightly different from the Gandalf of LotR...it would be even better if he had his silver scarf which we'll be seeing in TH (as mentioned by Sir Ian on his blog, and glimpsed in the first official Gandy pic in Empire Magazine), but yeah, definitely good work! Wink

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2011, 5:18pm

Post #15 of 30 (402 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly a nice birthday surprise, I would imagine.

gamgee328
The Shire

Oct 16 2011, 5:21pm

Post #16 of 30 (437 views)
Shortcut
Happy Anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember this day as well! I remember my friend calling me as soon as the news went out and we spent over an hour on the phone gushing about it!

droidsocket
Rivendell

Oct 16 2011, 9:50pm

Post #17 of 30 (394 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you!

rings7
Rohan

Oct 16 2011, 11:58pm

Post #18 of 30 (386 views)
Shortcut
Seriously happy birthday to an awesome day. [In reply to] Can't Post

But i'm a little confused. The green light was announced BEFORE the cast right? I only remember the cast announcement cause it was on a Thursday and i was working when i saw the news on my phone.

Anybody remember the exact day when the main cast was officially announced? I know it was also October.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2011, 12:57am

Post #19 of 30 (343 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the 21st! [In reply to] Can't Post

Only a week after the official greenlight. Wink

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 17 2011, 2:04am

Post #20 of 30 (397 views)
Shortcut
thump.....thump.....thump...thump..thump.thumpthumpthumpthumpthump... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue. You know how to git one going, don't you captain? Laugh.
I again am getting all these visions dancing around in my head with the vast possibilities. I have been trying to stay on an even keel and an even heart rate given the endurance event of waiting we have.

But it is good to do speed trials though the gambit of breath-taking happenings to be, once in a while.

ThanksCool

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

rings7
Rohan

Oct 17 2011, 3:58am

Post #21 of 30 (318 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew it was around that date. An unforgettable day for all Tolkien fans. Smile

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2011, 4:41am

Post #22 of 30 (373 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I'm right with you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised I've gone this long without some sort of mental break...it really is too exciting! I feel your unadulterated anticipation! Tongue

I DID screech rather loudly upon reading that Ian McKellan was officially coming back, and happened to be on a train full of people at the time! Wink

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Oct 17 2011, 4:46am)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2011, 4:44am

Post #23 of 30 (388 views)
Shortcut
No problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the above-mentioned initial casting announcement, again for nostalgic purposes Tongue:

The Hobbit Casting Announced!

Source: New Line/Warner Bros.

October 21, 2010

Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Rob Kazinsky, Aidan Turner, Graham McTavish, John Callen, Stephen Hunter, Mark Hadlow and Peter Hambleton have joined the ensemble cast of
The Hobbit, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema; Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros.; Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., and Peter Jackson.

Since
The Hobbit films received a green light on October 15, pre-production has been in full swing. Set for release in December, 2012 and December, 2013, we can confirm that Martin Freeman (The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Hot Fuzz) will play Bilbo Baggins, the hero of the story. Richard Armitage (UK TV's "MI-5" and soon to appear in Captain America: The First Avenger) is set to play Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the Company of Dwarves which sets off to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from a thieving dragon.

"Despite the various rumors and speculation surrounding this role, there has only ever been one Bilbo Baggins for us," says Peter Jackson. "There are a few times in your career when you come across an actor who you know was born to play a role, but that was the case as soon as I met Martin. He is intelligent, funny, surprising and brave - exactly like Bilbo and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit."

He adds: "Richard is one of the most exciting and dynamic actors working on screen today and we know he is going to make an amazing Thorin Oakensheild. We cannot wait to start this adventure with him and feel very lucky that one of the most beloved characters in Middle-earth is in such good hands."

Rounding out the Company of Dwarves are Aidan Turner (TV's "Being Human") and Rob Kazinsky (TVs "EastEnders") who play Kili and Fili, respectively. Jackson comments, "Rob is an extremely talented young actor with a huge career in front of him, I'm thrilled that he has agreed to take on the role of Fili. Besides his talent as an actor, Rob is also a champion sword fighter; I'm looking forward to seeing the damage he can do to a horde of marauding Goblins!" He continues, "Adian is a wonderfully gifted young actor who hails from Ireland. I'm sure he will bring enormous heart and humor to the role of Kili."

The remaining dwarves will be played by Graham McTavish (
Secretariat and TV's "24") as Dwalin; John Callen (TV's "Power Rangers Jungle Fury") as Oin; Stephen Hunter (TV's "All Saints") as Bombur; Mark Hadlow (King Kong) as Dori; and Peter Hambleton (TV's "The Strip") as Gloin.

Jackson notes, "Graham is a terrific actor, with a great depth of experience, which I know he will bring to the role of "Dwalin. I have worked with Mark Hadlow on many projects; he is a fantastic actor. I am thrilled to be working with both of them on these movies. He adds, "I am also proud to announce the casting of New Zealand actors as Peter Hambleton, John Callen and Stephen Hunter. Fran and I know that they will bring great depth and talent to our Company of Dwarves."

The two "The Hobbit" films are being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with Phillipa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins as executive producer.

I feel bad for Rob Kazinsky, not getting to actually appear as Fili on-screen...but he's sure landed on his feet, between the George Lucas-produced "Red Tails" coming out January 2012, and Guillermo del Toro's "Pacific Rim" set for May 2013. And Dean O'Gorman looks like a pretty good Fili from what little we've seen so far...

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Oct 17 2011, 4:49am)

TheCoon
Lorien

Oct 17 2011, 11:56am

Post #24 of 30 (325 views)
Shortcut
armitage in captain america? [In reply to] Can't Post

who was he?

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Oct 17 2011, 12:11pm

Post #25 of 30 (337 views)
Shortcut
This website is helpful. :P [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0035514/

Says: Heinz Kruger. (picture of him in character)

IMDB is pretty useful for released movies, not so much with the speculation.

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

(This post was edited by titanium_hobbit on Oct 17 2011, 12:12pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.