I know why we have 'Hot Dwarves'
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Garfeimao
Rohan

Aug 14 2011, 9:50am

Post #1 of 37 (4337 views)
Shortcut
I know why we have 'Hot Dwarves' Can't Post

I've been re-reading the Hobbit, due to Jury Duty this past week, and just encountered a scene that must have been the reason PJ and company decided they had to cast a few 'Hot Dwarves'.

In Chapter 7, Queer Lodgings, the Eagles bring Gandalf, Bilbo and the Dwarves down out of the mountains and dropping them off at The Carrock. Before setting off to find Beorn, Gandalf tells them that he will be leaving them shortly, Bilbo weeps and the Dwarves try to bribe him to stay, but he keeps firm and says that once he's introduced them to help in the area and they all re-stock, he must be off. It is the next paragraph that is so telling. . .

After that, they stopped pleading. Then they took off their clothes and bathed in the river, which was shallow and clear and stony at the ford. When they had dried in the sun, which was now strong and warm, they were refreshed, if still sore and a little hungry.

So now we have a scene where the dwarves are going to be shirtless, armorless, weaponless and wet and I think I must stop there. But it must be said that if they all looked like Gimli, this would probably be cut. But with the current casting, this scene could make the film, or at least enhance it dramatically.

All said tongue in cheek, sort of. ;-)

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Aug 14 2011, 11:58am

Post #2 of 37 (2676 views)
Shortcut
nudity = cut the bombadil scene [In reply to] Can't Post

They didn't do the bit where the 4 hobbits run about nude on the grass in the sun to cure the barrow wight curse (the wight dressed them in grave clothes) Which when you think about it, is very very creepy! (the wight's behaviour, not the nude running.)

So yeah. I reckon they'll cut it. There is precedent!

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Ececheira
Bree

Aug 14 2011, 12:09pm

Post #3 of 37 (2518 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so looking forward to that scene - I really hope they don't cut it - or dress the "hot dwarves" up in weird body suits...

Niniel Valinor
Rivendell

Aug 14 2011, 12:35pm

Post #4 of 37 (2568 views)
Shortcut
Oh that part of the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so weeeird hahaha. Imagined the awkwardness on screen loool. 13 hairy darves, one little hobbit and a huge wizard taking a bath... loool. Gosh if they don't cut it I'd be forever shellshocked Sly

reags
Rivendell

Aug 14 2011, 12:59pm

Post #5 of 37 (2511 views)
Shortcut
Please... [In reply to] Can't Post

I could do without dwarves acting queer - Samwise & Frodo already filled that quota Tongue

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2011, 4:26pm

Post #6 of 37 (2419 views)
Shortcut
Not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

how this scene would be "queer". Or how Sam and Frodo were considered "queer". I think you are implying that the relationships are homosexual, which was not in the books or the movies. It is possible that men (or women, for that matter) can have close relationships that are not romantic or sexual. Or that "queer" is necessarily bad.

Marionette
Rohan

Aug 14 2011, 4:30pm

Post #7 of 37 (2597 views)
Shortcut
Shritless Thorin,Kili and Fili? HOPE SO XD [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL

But seriously, no joking., I know there are shirt-less and probably naked dwarves (Itīs common in that situation, I have seen films of soldiers during wars and such things, and it is quite common they being naked and all that, and there is nothing weird in that. It is just the situation) in the book. I think when they take a bath in the river or something.

Yaaay.

BUT, I will not happen in the films, LaughLaughLaughLaugh Casting hot dwarves doesnīt mean exactly they will be shirtless in the film. It will not happens, it do happens in movies like "Thor", yay and thatīs totally great, but I wonder if PJ will get into that trend and do that too.... Hum.

I hardly believe there will be shirtless Thorin (Yay, LOL), Fili and Kili.

But it would be awesome Blush

Thereīs nothing for us ladies in films, only naked chicks we have to bear forever Pirate Just saying XD

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

(This post was edited by Marionette on Aug 14 2011, 4:35pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2011, 5:46pm

Post #8 of 37 (2533 views)
Shortcut
I've seen an amateur artist's depiction of that scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and boy am I glad it was left to the realm of text Evil

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Aug 14 2011, 6:11pm

Post #9 of 37 (2399 views)
Shortcut
forget the hot Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

now a nude Bombur doing a belly flop would be funny but disturbing at the same time.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2011, 6:45pm

Post #10 of 37 (2338 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

how about we keep the homophobia to ourselves, hmmmm? Tongue

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2011, 6:47pm

Post #11 of 37 (2370 views)
Shortcut
I was just [In reply to] Can't Post

going to suggest that...with him hopefully landing on Fili and/or Kili, who scream in a high-pitched girly voice before being smooshed under Bombur's considerable girth!

I wouldn't put it past PJ, actually...Cool

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2011, 7:30pm

Post #12 of 37 (2332 views)
Shortcut
Quite right... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. nudity does not always imply any kind of sexual feelings. In Tolkien's time, same-sex bathing was unremarkable. There was a spot on the Thames at Oxford (or was it the Cherwell?) called Parson's Pleasure, where traditionally dons were wont to swim. In days gone by there were no swimming costumes. Women were kept away; but on one occassion a boat-load of young women got a bit lost and floated past the old gentlemen in all their naked glory. (the dons that is; not the ladies).

All the men covered their confusion; save one, who put his hands over his face, leaving the rest of him exposed. After the women had gone, the others rounded on him; Had he no shame?!

To which he replied, 'I don't know about you fellows, but around here I'm known by my face!'.

Wink

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 14 2011, 8:09pm

Post #13 of 37 (2336 views)
Shortcut
Brrrrrrrrr! [In reply to] Can't Post

Any secluded location they could find in NZ to film this river scene would be cold cold cold. Picture 14 cold actors (I can't image Gandalf in this scene), and all the crew assigned to make sure they don't get hyperthermia, and keeping the whole thing secret? Thanks for the mental image, Garfeimo, but I can't see it making the cut.

(Maybe on the extended DVD's as an Easter egg? Blush)

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Aug 14 2011, 8:26pm

Post #14 of 37 (2278 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine that if this scene was filmed, it would be done in an indoor 'tank', for this precise reason - the waters of NZ are way too cold to film actors naked in.

That said, I don't think this scene will make it into the film, simply because from a production aspect it's too daunting - most of the dwarves have substantial padding in thier costumes to make them look stockier (hello, Bombur!) and there's no way to make them "naked" and have it look natural - you can't make nude padding! And, it's not a vital scene in the book, so I'm sure it'll be skipped. Which breaks my heart, I'd love to see Bombur cannonball on top of Kili and Fili...I think he could probably take them both out at once! After which of course Kili gets revenge by giving him a wedgie...

In Reply To
Any secluded location they could find in NZ to film this river scene would be cold cold cold. Picture 14 cold actors (I can't image Gandalf in this scene), and all the crew assigned to make sure they don't get hyperthermia, and keeping the whole thing secret? Thanks for the mental image, Garfeimo, but I can't see it making the cut.

(Maybe on the extended DVD's as an Easter egg? Blush)

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 14 2011, 8:29pm

Post #15 of 37 (2267 views)
Shortcut
hypothermia [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 14 2011, 8:30pm

Post #16 of 37 (2335 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo del Toro would have shot this scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt Peter Jackson will.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 14 2011, 8:31pm

Post #17 of 37 (2261 views)
Shortcut
Hyperthermia... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hot Dwarves.Evil

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 14 2011, 8:33pm

Post #18 of 37 (2254 views)
Shortcut
Garfeimao [In reply to] Can't Post

BlushBlushBlush

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 14 2011, 8:38pm

Post #19 of 37 (2264 views)
Shortcut
Of course hot dwarves. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for noticing.Wink

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 14 2011, 8:43pm

Post #20 of 37 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 14 2011, 8:51pm

Post #21 of 37 (2335 views)
Shortcut
Here is why none of your idea will be on-Screen.... [In reply to] Can't Post

No one ever even goes to the Bathroom in a Movie, unless it's absoutely a part of a major scene....
No one ever takes a bath , unless it is absolutely nescessary to the plot.
Call it "A Cinematic Convention", if you will. Can you image James Bond? needing to take a Leak, before or after a Fight scene?

Our heros need for a bath at times, will most likely just, be left out.

This is funny, my mother didn't like the Movies all that much, since their hair on the actors was often blowing around in their eyes,
Aragorn and Gandalf in particular... and she
said, "that they ALL looked like they needed a Bath, often."

" I said Mom, this is about WAR!" she said "They were all, way.... too Dirty for me!...and most of all of them, needed Hair-cuts!"

I do want to see a dwarve Braiding? another of our company's... Beard though...I think it would really be a Funny peice of Comedy!
Maybe Bombur is the Braiding specialitist?...since he has the Most AWESOME Beard of ALL?

"Dwarve-Beard-Braiding... comin soon to Theatres Near YOU" xoxox Goldberry-Does-My-Hair, Bom-guy!

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Aug 14 2011, 8:54pm)

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2011, 9:08pm

Post #22 of 37 (2372 views)
Shortcut
When you say nude [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you mean totally nude or is a little loin-cloth allowed? Smile

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Aug 14 2011, 10:49pm

Post #23 of 37 (2251 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's at least one dwarf who currently has a picture of himself in the Full Monty on the interwebs.

Jed Brophy once did a play called "Skin Tight" in which he and his female co-star were nude for the entire show.

Apparently he was excellent in it; but because I'm a decent person and don't want to corrupt this thread, I won't mention that if you do a Google Image Search, the photo of him and his co-star shows up.

I won't add that the photograph is striking and balletic in pose, and tastefully done.

I'm not even going to be crass and say that if Brophy still looks like that, Nori would have a whole new group of fans after any 'bathing scene'.

Wink

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 14 2011, 11:00pm

Post #24 of 37 (2246 views)
Shortcut
That would be some compensation... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for the inexplicable omission of the gratuitous Parth Galen nude bathing scene from FotR. Evil

Join us in the Reading Room for "The Return of the King" Book VI starting August 15!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Aug 14 2011, 11:07pm

Post #25 of 37 (2229 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

hey good for Jed. But Nori's starfishy hair and beard are far more sexy to me ;)

Seriously, I agree with the sane posts in this thread. Honestly as easy on the eyes as Richard is (and that's not my main reason for being a fan), I don't find Thorin "hot", I like the character too much to think of him in that way. And the excellent point about the padding probably ensures that most of the dwarves won't be seen from the shoulders down if this scene were shot.

Sarahb > LOL (you won't add...tisk, tisk)...

If such a scene were to happen, no biggie here. I think the characters can be quite sexy when going off into battle, but that's me.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.