Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
What is your favorite piece from the entire trilogy?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

WingShield210
The Shire

Aug 13 2011, 5:18am

Post #1 of 32 (1778 views)
Shortcut
What is your favorite piece from the entire trilogy? Can't Post

So everyone knows that Howard Shore is absolutely brilliant, and the music he created for the three movies will remain amongst the greatest compositions in cinematographic and musical history. I do not exaggerate - every single piece is phenomenal.

With that said, what is your absolute FAVORITE piece from the trilogy? I realize this might be a very difficult question for some to answer, even me.

I am honestly torn between two compositions - "Concerning Hobbits" and "Riders of Rohan," with the former taking a slight edge. I listen to "Concerning Hobbits" whenever I need to escape and find a moment of peace.

And you?

"I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable; I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again." - Frodo

"Not all those who wander are lost."

(This post was edited by WingShield210 on Aug 13 2011, 5:20am)

Spencissimus
Lorien

Aug 13 2011, 5:56am

Post #2 of 32 (1053 views)
Shortcut
I love it all... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I've managed to narrow it down to a top 5

5. Evenstar
4. Hope and Memory
3. Journey in the Dark
2. Concerning Hobbits
1. Breaking of the Fellowship

If I was to pinpoint a top 5 in Shore's individual motifs however, it would look something like this (in no particular order this time)....

5. That wonderful motif used in emotional Frodo and Sam moments (specifically when Frodo pulls Sam out of the Anduin during the Breaking of the Fellowship)
4. The bit in Journey in the Dark when the Fellowship reach Dwarrowdelf in Moria
3. the fast-paced bit at the beginning of the Black Rider (played when Frodo and Sam run into Merry and Pippin)
2. That bit played by a lone french horn (I think) during the Breaking of the Fellowship just before the Three Hunters go orc-hunting
1. The Rohan theme (specifically when played by the brass section)

Turnip Head
Bree

Aug 13 2011, 8:46am

Post #3 of 32 (1000 views)
Shortcut
Evenstar [In reply to] Can't Post

from TT, easily my favorite.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 13 2011, 8:48am

Post #4 of 32 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Dwarrowdelf / [In reply to] Can't Post

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Marionette
Rohan

Aug 13 2011, 3:31pm

Post #5 of 32 (977 views)
Shortcut
The Steward of Gondor [In reply to] Can't Post

Anduril
The White Tree

I can´t remember all of them right now, I have some time without listening to my CD, but for certain those three are my very first.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Junesong
Rohan

Aug 13 2011, 4:26pm

Post #6 of 32 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Great question! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fellowship: The Breaking of the Fellowship (particularly the music when Frodo and Sam crest that hill and look down at the marshes and Mordor. Just great music.)

Two Towers: Foundations of Stone (right at the part where Gandalf and the Balrog emerge in the wide shot - falling slowly - and the choir just gives it!)

The Return of the King: Minas Tirith (the part where Gandalf raises his staff and the white light shoots up at the Nazgul, and the music drops out into a single boy soloist - amazing)

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer... Shakespeare."

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Aug 13 2011, 5:53pm

Post #7 of 32 (997 views)
Shortcut
Elanor [In reply to] Can't Post

seemed to me to be the most perfect ending to a movie's score ever. Almost anti-climatic, it gently glided to a halt as Sam closes his door... still makes me cry every time.

Also Evenstar, The Grey Havens, Flaming Red Hair (captured the "Springle-ring" dance perfectly), The Return of the King, The Tales that Really Matter....

the list could go on and on.... There really wasn't any music I didn't like.

Lord Sméagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum! Eat fish every day, three times a day; fresh from the sea. Most Precious Gollum!

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 13 2011, 8:17pm

Post #8 of 32 (983 views)
Shortcut
different pieces at different times... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do a lot of writing for long spells at a time -- I like FOTR at the beginning of the project, TTT in the middle and ROTK at the end...the soundtracks perfectly fit the mental/emotional state I'm in when I'm really working hard on a proposal or grant. Great music to work by, for me.

For driving, the end of FOTR is great -- and all of ROTK. I never seem to gravitate toward TTT on the road, not sure why. You'd think all of that racing over the hills music at the beginning would be the perfect traveling score, ha.

Lately, I've started to listen to the CD's with the shuffle mode on -- after listening to them so often, in a certain order, I find the surprise of which track is going to come up next, or listening to them in a different order, really helps me to hear them "new" again...

All of that said, two sections of the score hit me the strongest emotionally -- moving me to tears at times - are the Breaking of the Fellowship, and the ROTK score for the entire coronation sequence, ending with that really grand version of the Shire theme. I think Shore really captured that whole "tears of joy" sense from the books, of things being set right again, and the way all the hobbits, but Frodo especially, were "enobled' spiritually as a result of their experiences.

When ROTK was up for the Oscar nomination for best film score, I heard an interview with a critic who was being asked for his predictions of which music would win. He played the first time the Shire theme is heard, and then the sequence played during the "you bow to no one" moment. The critic didn't even comment much after that -- he just said that the way Shore developed the theme, and how it worked in the film, said it all.

Weaver

KAOS82
Rohan

Aug 13 2011, 11:57pm

Post #9 of 32 (937 views)
Shortcut
we have similar music taste [In reply to] Can't Post

but I add
-FOTR: concerning hobbits
-TTT: Rohan theme
-ROTK: everyone bows down to the 4 hobbits and the next sequence with the map

TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA & NIENOR NÍNIEL

eralkfang
Lorien

Aug 14 2011, 12:38am

Post #10 of 32 (1030 views)
Shortcut
What a remarkably difficult question! [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, I love all of it—I think it's a pretty much flawless score, end to end. But the piece that gives me the chills every single time is the Rohan theme first heard in "The King of the Golden Hall". It's just astounding, and the way Shore uses it in various settings is just beautiful.

The Fellowship theme, especially in "The Bridge of Khazad-dûm", is so iconic and perfect.

I also have to admit here my love for "Arwen's Song", although it's quite rightly a love it or hate it piece. Setting my love for Liv Tyler aside, the violin when Éowyn opens her eyes gives me chills.

ringergrl13
The Shire

Aug 14 2011, 3:56am

Post #11 of 32 (977 views)
Shortcut
Hard to choose, I have so many! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think my absolute favorite would have to be "Concerning Hobbits."

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Aug 14 2011, 5:32am

Post #12 of 32 (925 views)
Shortcut
Tough question! [In reply to] Can't Post

The music of LotR is no doubt my favorite film score ever. I would go with "Concerning Hobbits", "The Bridge of Khazad-dum", the theme of Rohan and Gondor, and "The Lighting of the Beacons". There's so much amazing stuff in these films.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 14 2011, 2:40pm

Post #13 of 32 (892 views)
Shortcut
Too many to choose from! [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, love "The Breaking of the Fellowship", and "The Lighting of the Beacons", two completely different pieces of music.

I also like a transitional piece that falls between "Gilraen's Memorial" and "The Pass of Caradhras" in the EE, the soft choral music when Elrond blesses the Fellowship as they leave Rivendell, that then swells to the full expression of the Fellowship theme as they walk off into the wilderness and each member comes over a hill.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

dijomaja
Lorien

Aug 14 2011, 2:51pm

Post #14 of 32 (964 views)
Shortcut
"springle-ring"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that actually the name? Anyway, while there are too many to list and my favorites change from time to time I have to give a nod to 'Elanor' for saying the most in the least time. The only thing that comes close is the tin whistle melody that plays as Frodo and Sam climb toward Mt. Doom.

Of course we can never completely separate the music from the story. I'm sure I would have related to this music on a stand-alone basis but it will always conjure up scenes from the films.

Hamfast
Rohan

Aug 14 2011, 4:45pm

Post #15 of 32 (907 views)
Shortcut
Concerning Hobbit's [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my all time favorite pieces of music period. I have a cd playing alarm clock, and 'concerning hobbit's' wakes me up every morning. Quite a pleasant way to greet the day Smile

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Aug 14 2011, 7:28pm

Post #16 of 32 (893 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm not exactly sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

but the Springle-ring is described as "a pretty dance, but rather vigorous." The hobbits' dance in FOTR to "Flaming Red Hair" was pretty vigorous and bouncy, so it just seemed Springle-ringish to me. :)

I love the two seconds where we see Gandalf dancing with the hobbits; I thought it was so sweet!

I've fallen asleep to LOTR music more times than I can count; just hearing the music is so soothing, because of its familiarity and the images it conjures up - Lothlorien, the Shire, Rivendell, quiet woodlands, Samwise the Brave's speech, etc...

Lord Sméagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum! Eat fish every day, three times a day; fresh from the sea. Most Precious Gollum!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 14 2011, 9:54pm

Post #17 of 32 (960 views)
Shortcut
Just finished a 3 Movie Marathon, Thanks to youGuys! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't give you all a Top 10 List....but if broken down under catagories

A. Most Frightening
1. The amazeing Flight of the Nazgul.... over Minas Tirth, scaping solgiers off the Parrapets...and Flinging them down.(Allmost all Chorus voices, wailing)
2. Shelob's Lair (I understand PJ hired Howard because of work on "The Fly" and "Silence of the Lambs" initially) Very David Cronenberg in style. In particular when She is wrapping up Frodo with her webstuff.
3. The Balin's Tomb scene, which blew away the Cannes Film Festival (Preview Clip) years ago and Started the BUZZ for our Movies.
4. Weathertop, our first hint at how Scary this adventure was gunna be.

B. Most Inspriational
1. Music underneath Theodan's Ride "Ride for Ruin and Death" attack on the Orcs, I can't help but crying there, such Scarifce by every one of the riders..
2. "Lighting of the Beacons" I partly feel it's the most Outstanding thing of all....since it it ALL symphony and Maybe it could become New Zealands' Theme song. My Love of NZ and this piece sums it up.
3. "Pippen's Song" as Faramir rides to certain Death. Great use of song engineering there.
4. Music under the Grey Havens, floored me.

C. Best Theme!
Concerning Hobbits delveloped into a variety of uses thoughout the Trilogy....When I'm happy, I find myself Whistleing Sir James Galaway's Flute solo.

I'm tired...so that it all.... from BombaBADBoy, fur now.

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Aug 14 2011, 9:55pm)

Jonathan the Elf
Rivendell

Aug 15 2011, 3:26am

Post #18 of 32 (898 views)
Shortcut
Into the west [In reply to] Can't Post

The words the music are just amazing it is so Middle-Earth. But excludeing the singing ones I like The Bridge of Khazad Dum and The Black Gate Opens [Featuring James Galway]. I also like the ring wraith music.

Jonathan the Elf (fan)

“How shall a man judge what to do in such times? Yea ask. As he ever has judged, good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another thing among . It is a man’s part to discern them, as much as in the Golden woods an in his own house” said Aragorn

Niniel Valinor
Rivendell

Aug 15 2011, 2:21pm

Post #19 of 32 (887 views)
Shortcut
Forth, Eorlingas [In reply to] Can't Post

I have so many pieces that's favorites! Forth Eorlingas from "TTT" is one of my all time favorites. It's just pure epic. Also the times "Evenstar" was used is among the most stunning moments in cinematic history to me. Like when Elrond tells Arwen her future with Aragorn, Gandalf and Pippin riding up Minas Tirith is full blown epic, the fellowship entering the "eyeopener" room in Moria with that icon melody playing (that's one stunning just wish the rest was too lol).
The Rohan theme in general is perfect and you know exactly what setting we are in when it starts playing. Duing the Charge of the Rohirrim in the third movie... wow.
And that song that is finally on the complete recordings when Barad Dur collapses etc... woaaah!

There's also very small moments I love like the horn of Gondor or what they called it playing in the extended version at the council of Elrond when Boromir speaks. Also the flute playing when Denethor admits to rather wanting to have Boromir alive then Faramir. Very short pieces, but so amazing!

Asger
Rivendell

Aug 15 2011, 3:54pm

Post #20 of 32 (900 views)
Shortcut
Pippins Song: 'Mist and Shadow' [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
3. "Pippin's Song" as Faramir rides to certain Death. Great use of song engineering there.
Which eventually was written by Billy 'Pippin' Boyd himself! I'm not that great a music-listener, but I love the LotR-music highly, can't choose, though.

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Aug 15 2011, 4:12pm

Post #21 of 32 (874 views)
Shortcut
Asger, welcome, and may I say that [In reply to] Can't Post

what caught my attention was your quotation of Pogo! I absolutely LOVE Pogo! Smile

Welcome to TORN!

You have met the enemy, and he is us. Tongue

Asger
Rivendell

Aug 15 2011, 5:38pm

Post #22 of 32 (872 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much, O' great Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

I've written a few posts before, but yes I'm fairly new on Torn. My love of Pogo goes a few years further back than that of Tolkien, but sadly just a few episodes have been reprinted here in Denmark. I've read some in English, though.
Well, back to topic, somewhat: Another kind of LotR-inspired music is that of the Danish Tolkien-Ensemble by Caspar Reiff & Peter Hall, I attended one of their concerts once and own three CDs, one of them with Christopher Lee - awesome!

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo

Ardamírë
Valinor

Aug 15 2011, 11:03pm

Post #23 of 32 (835 views)
Shortcut
I love the piece [In reply to] Can't Post

just as the company is returning to Edoras after the confrontation with Saruman. It's just a quick little piece, but I find myself just popping in the film to listen to that part. As for a whole track, "Evenstar" is my favorite. I absolutely love it. It's so beautiful and haunting.

GPlowman
The Shire

Aug 16 2011, 1:43pm

Post #24 of 32 (826 views)
Shortcut
Lighting of the Beacons [In reply to] Can't Post

No part of the score inspires me more than the Lighting of the Beacons. The gradual build of the music, chords going up and up, you think the music has hit a natural ceiling and yet it goes up again. Finally when it 'breaks' - the theme, the momentum, the orchestration here, all amazing. It carries you over the mountains as you're watching (or just listening).

Another fav is The Breaking of the Fellowship. One of the longest pieces of the soundtrack, and full of the great themes and gentle melodies that accompanied you through the movie.

Elen

Aug 16 2011, 3:46pm

Post #25 of 32 (822 views)
Shortcut
Really, do I have to choose ??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like many here I love it all, wouldn't miss one little note.

But among them:
edoras
lighting of the beacons
moria

All of them accompanying sweeping vistas and broad camera movements.
And I also love Arwen's song.

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.