Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Charity Copy of LOTR Stolen

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Aug 8 2011, 7:21am

Post #1 of 14 (1195 views)
Shortcut
Charity Copy of LOTR Stolen Can't Post

A copy of The Lord of the Rings, intended for charity purposes and worth approx. $215, was stolen from a bookstore in Truro, UK. The Lord of the Rings was just one of several rare books that were stolen from this store recently. The Oxfam store sells books to raise money for their charitable efforts worldwide. Read the full story at the BBC. [Read more]

Bullroarer
Bree

Aug 8 2011, 1:29pm

Post #2 of 14 (301 views)
Shortcut
why was it worth £215? was it a special edition or something? [In reply to] Can't Post

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us- Gandalf to Frodo

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 8 2011, 2:29pm

Post #3 of 14 (317 views)
Shortcut
I live near Truro... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wish I knew they had the book before it was stolen :/

Ruijor
Rohan

Aug 8 2011, 5:07pm

Post #4 of 14 (309 views)
Shortcut
I had been in that shop before, nice memories from Truro [In reply to] Can't Post

It wasn´t that expensive so that edition wasn´t very limited or rare...

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 8 2011, 5:30pm

Post #5 of 14 (328 views)
Shortcut
The lowest of the low [In reply to] Can't Post

- stealing from a charity. As the charity shop's deputy manager says,

"It's upsetting, not just because something has been stolen, but £150, with the East Africa crisis, could really make a lot of difference to lives out there."

Bullroarer
Bree

Aug 8 2011, 6:52pm

Post #6 of 14 (304 views)
Shortcut
what on earth! £215 is not expensive? [In reply to] Can't Post

that's crazy! My edition I bought from Waterstones for only £9.99, I could have bought at least ten of those for £215, why on earth would it be so expensive if it wasn't a limited or rare edition?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us- Gandalf to Frodo

Bullroarer
Bree

Aug 8 2011, 6:54pm

Post #7 of 14 (286 views)
Shortcut
"lowest of the low!" my sentiments exactly, heartless $"%* [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 8 2011, 7:41pm

Post #8 of 14 (275 views)
Shortcut
Copy of The Hobbit for $100,000... [In reply to] Can't Post

There was news a while back of an episode of Antiques Roadshow that featured... well, read here: http://www.theonering.net/...-antiques-road-show/

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 8 2011, 8:42pm

Post #9 of 14 (318 views)
Shortcut
Actually,it says 215 dollars [In reply to] Can't Post

- which roughly equates to 150 pounds. But really, £150 wouldn't buy much in the way of rarity. Take a look at this page - ABE books; that is, items offered for sale at fixed prices, rather than for auction.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&n=200000169&prh=220&prl=150&recentlyadded=all&sortby=1&sts=t&tn=lord+of+the+rings&x=88&y=5

The price range I've selected is between £150 and £220. There's the odd late printing of the first edition, but mainly they're pretty mundane; second edition sets in the main, and later printings of the de luxe edition.

Try looking up the 'most expensive' Tolkien items on ABE, or Ebay - it's an eye-opener, and no mistake.

Tongue

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Aug 8 2011, 9:36pm

Post #10 of 14 (261 views)
Shortcut
why would someone do that? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, honestly, stealing from charity? That's just messed up.

Lord Sméagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum! Eat fish every day, three times a day; fresh from the sea. Most Precious Gollum!

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Aug 8 2011, 9:43pm

Post #11 of 14 (251 views)
Shortcut
Ditto. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's definitely worse than the time someone stole my two best pairs of jeans from the laundry room when I was out of work and couldn't afford to replace them.

Not that stealing in any case is a good thing, but there's really something wrong with the world when people steal from the have nots.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Ruijor
Rohan

Aug 9 2011, 12:18am

Post #12 of 14 (277 views)
Shortcut
You didn´t get my point [In reply to] Can't Post

What I wanted to say was that is that book is far from being rare of one of the older editions, so to steal something like that was idiotic unless it was some crazed fan or something although the article states that several rare books were stolen besides The Hobbit...

(This post was edited by Ruijor on Aug 9 2011, 12:21am)

Ruijor
Rohan

Aug 9 2011, 12:24am

Post #13 of 14 (323 views)
Shortcut
The same reason why there are people destroying property and luting in London [In reply to] Can't Post

Sheer stupidity and evilness... Mad

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 9 2011, 12:22pm

Post #14 of 14 (319 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

To steal from a charity is the lowest... every penny counts.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.