Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fili and Kili
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 9:12pm

Post #201 of 601 (28193 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for a voice of reason! [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, I was prepairing myself for the worst, and this isn't anywhere near that.

But perhaps I'm biased, as my own mental image of Dwarves has always been pretty human-like and not neanderthalian-like, as I've said before.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

droidsocket
Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 9:13pm

Post #202 of 601 (28111 views)
Shortcut
Yes you are right! [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ is not subtle! And rather then making Killi and Filli subtlety more human he went to the extreme of making them 99% human looking with 1% big ears

Proudfoot
The Shire

Jul 12 2011, 9:13pm

Post #203 of 601 (28502 views)
Shortcut
And here's a second version, from a newbie.... [In reply to] Can't Post

One more for good measure

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/Chickadee33/Dwarves-group.jpg

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 9:14pm

Post #204 of 601 (28011 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean **shudders** [In reply to] Can't Post

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Theodred
Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 9:16pm

Post #205 of 601 (28072 views)
Shortcut
I really don't think that's going to happen, [In reply to] Can't Post

So Peter, if you're by any chance reading this, please make Kili more dwarf like, at the moment he isn't even convincing as a Middle Earth character, much less a dwarf.

Because they have probably already shot many scenes with the dwarves, and they wíll probably not, because of this, make Kili more dwarf-like, and then reshoot all the scenes with Kili again.

http://dehobbithyve.hyves.nl/
http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/the-hobbit-news-widget-ronald_40

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 9:18pm

Post #206 of 601 (28034 views)
Shortcut
It's a very common misconception [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's because they're described identically; the only real visual information we have about either of them is that they have long yellow beards. Add to that their status as 'the young ones' of the group (which implies close age) and their similar but equal names (you wouldn't expect twins to be called Dori and Ori, as that seems to emphasise the former, but Fili and Kili sounds quite twinnish), and it's not hard to see how the 'twins' idea crept into our minds.

Proudfoot
The Shire

Jul 12 2011, 9:18pm

Post #207 of 601 (28129 views)
Shortcut
I quite like that idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

A freshly shaved (by dwarf standards) face, post-spiders, would make perfect sense. I've no idea why we'd see that version in these photos, but if they were using natural beards, and this shoot happened to be scheduled after those real beards had actually been shaved... I think the theory works well.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 9:19pm

Post #208 of 601 (28020 views)
Shortcut
With the recasting of Fili, those scenes may have to be reshot anyway... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 9:19pm

Post #209 of 601 (28326 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if Elvish... but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, I get Fili... Kili just looks human... or Elvish... weird...

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 9:21pm

Post #210 of 601 (27975 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. Someone who knows these two are not twins. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just kinda bugs me every time someone mentions that PJ isn't making them identical. Shocked

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 12 2011, 9:22pm

Post #211 of 601 (28312 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking at this one... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://i51.tinypic.com/2nlbt3s.jpg

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 12 2011, 9:23pm

Post #212 of 601 (27934 views)
Shortcut
That's rather unfair [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very surprised at how such a large number of fans could basically abandon their Tolkien ideals just for the sake of some cheap eye candy. Frown

It's unfair to paint all the fans who aren't bothered by Kili's looks with such a broad brush I personally couldn't care less if they're hunky or not. It just doesn't bother me that he doesn't look like a cookie-cutter dwarf. *shrugs*

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Patty
Immortal

Jul 12 2011, 9:23pm

Post #213 of 601 (27982 views)
Shortcut
On the other hand, he's got Sword of Shannara down PAT ! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 9:24pm

Post #214 of 601 (28093 views)
Shortcut
That was just a rhetorical appeal more than anything else... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I don't think Peter Jackson will change his mind just because of one post on a forum.

But it's also 100 % my honest opinion.

And besides, who knows, fan pressure did keep XenArwen out of the Lord of the Rings.

Muireadhaigh
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 9:25pm

Post #215 of 601 (28115 views)
Shortcut
I was so wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

When the Oin and Gloin pics came out, I posted that I now understand everyone's concern, because they were hunks. I was joking obviously, and never thought PJ would give us this. I am so very disappointed with these two dwarves.

I wonder what conditioner Kili uses, his hair is perfect. Pirate

TheWhiteRider
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 9:28pm

Post #216 of 601 (27982 views)
Shortcut
Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

also had the longest nose in the whole group !

Patty
Immortal

Jul 12 2011, 9:29pm

Post #217 of 601 (28046 views)
Shortcut
Are you disappointed with Fili, too? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't call him a hunk. But I'm with you on Kili.Smile

Permanent address: Into the West

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jul 12 2011, 9:30pm

Post #218 of 601 (28102 views)
Shortcut
........ [In reply to] Can't Post

............................................................................................................................

...........................................................................................................................

...........................................................I beg your pardon?

Jeepers. I don't quite know what to say.....................Come back Armitage all is forgiven?

I'd like to say I told you so, but that'd be referring to the wrong dwarf- i had high hopes for Fili and Kili, Rob Kazinsky and Aidan Turner seemed like a cracking couple of blokes and a good match for the carefree energy of the younger dwarves (and Dean O'Gorman was a pretty cool replacement even if the replacement was regrettable). Like others have said, Aidan Turner looked positively dwarvish at the press conference- what in the name of all that's holy happened? I'm sorry, but there's no wind machine or anything like that that can shoulder the blame for the abysmal Kili look. Fili is acceptable (not ideal- give me my dwarven proportions) but Kili really is tall, dark and handsome in that picture, three things that the short, blonde dwarf that is his role should not be. This goes beyond 'making him distinct' or 'making him look young'- young people can be short and stocky too (in fact given childhood obesity figures a lot of them are!) this is exactly the kind of cynical manipulation of the decision to lessen the prosthetics and the calls for variety that i feared- the thin end of the wedge hasn't got any fatter! (Yes i know that doesn't make any sense but then Kili's look doesn't either and the parallel in phrase and message was too tempting to miss).

In the 'casting of Thorin' thread i wrote some things that some considered to be a bit sexist and patronising, at the time i was speaking out of paranoia, i never suspected i would be so near the truth. Surely now anyone who gives a damn about dwarves can see my point? While i'm trying not to rant, i do take this in bad humour and unless proven otherwise, i think anyone who tries to defend Kili's look is either a Estrogen Islander or a contrarian. Devil's advocate simply isn't a strong enough phraseTongue

PJ- sort your Kili out before your next shooting session or i'll stick shadowfax's head in your bed Angelic

Dr Death

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Post #219 of 601 (28009 views)
Shortcut
Probably [In reply to] Can't Post

what PJ did to Kili and Fili...

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Post #220 of 601 (28116 views)
Shortcut
XenArwen wasn *not* changed because of fan reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

But because Philippa and Liv felt it was wrong and wanted to change the character.

I doubt they're going to do any re-shooting because many dislike this look. They know we're going to watch the movies anyway, one (or perhaps a few) hot Dwarf here or there. And the audience is made of other groups than us Tolkien fans too, so they can afford losing some ToRNsibs.

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Jul 12 2011, 9:31pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Post #221 of 601 (28050 views)
Shortcut
Rankin/Bass influence? [In reply to] Can't Post

mykonos
Bree

Jul 12 2011, 9:31pm

Post #222 of 601 (27909 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't see a problem with these two young dwarves when seen with the rest of the dwarf pics that have been released already. Or is that my hormones speaking? Laugh

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2011, 9:33pm

Post #223 of 601 (28020 views)
Shortcut
pfirst picture we saw showed kili a little bit different than this [In reply to] Can't Post

when we saw the first picture of bilbo in the back ground we could see a dwarf very probably kili, and it looked different than this, so dont get angry
besides imagine all dwarves gimli like, it would be boring but more of that, very very difficult on the screen to know who is who, i had problems with merry and pippin imagine with 13 dwarves, it would be very confusing, even boring

GOD bless you all!!!!!!!!!

SF
The Shire

Jul 12 2011, 9:34pm

Post #224 of 601 (28030 views)
Shortcut
Hair Color [In reply to] Can't Post

Brothers don't always have the same color hair. I've known siblings with light and dark hair.

Personally, I think they look just fine.

(This post was edited by SF on Jul 12 2011, 9:36pm)

Muireadhaigh
Rivendell

Jul 12 2011, 9:35pm

Post #225 of 601 (27828 views)
Shortcut
Yes, him too [In reply to] Can't Post

though he looks better than Kili. Kili's too pretty, too thin, and looks like a short elf.

Fili looks like a man. Really nothing dwarvish about him. Just a guy with a smile on his face.

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.